Death by Wind Turbine.........

LOL. Back down from you ignorant asses? For what reason?

The wind industries record on industrial safety is excellent. That they kill some birds is a fact. As is the fact that the highways near them kill a lot more birds, even more raptors. And buildings, transmission lines, radio towers, feral cats, all kill more birds than do the towers. Go to the people that study birds, and look at their studies on it.

I live in eagle country. I have done so for over 30 years now. Guess how many eagles have been found dead on the side of the road. Zero. Eagles don't get killed by cars. Birds in general don't get killed by cars. It does indeed happen, but ask anyone you know how many birds they've seen hit by cars. The only times you see it happen is at racetracks where the vehicles are going really fast. The same go's for birds supposedly hitting buildings and dying. In my nearly 70 years, and the last 30 in the wild, it has NEVER happened. You would think that if it were so darn common, that there would be dead birds all over the place. But no. You don't see that either. What we do see though, are lots and lots of dead birds and bats around wind turbines.

Think again:

Number of Bald Eagles Killed By Cars Rising

Bird deaths from car crashes number in millions

I don't know why a simple chicken wire kind of guard could not be installed. Wind would still be able to pass thru, but birds would not be killed. Chickenwire is cheap. Labor could be cheap. Just send in the illegals to do it. Free, since they are here illegally anyway.

I don't know why a simple chicken wire kind of guard could not be installed. Wind would still be able to pass thru, but birds would not be killed. Chickenwire is cheap. Labor could be cheap. Just send in the illegals to do it. Free, since they are here illegally anyway.

Actually, you have a pretty good idea, Gracie. Well, the first half of it is excellent.

,For the Birds Audubon Society Stands Up in Support of Wind Energy

Flicker said that the organization's decision to speak out about wind came as a result of the recent increased urgency on the part of the scientific community with respect to global warming. Specifically, he cited a recent study by James Hansen for the National Academy of Sciences suggesting that if greenhouse gases are not reduced in the next decade, a significant number of plants and animals could face extinction by the middle of the century. "It creates a sense of urgency beyond anything we have seen before," said Flicker, adding that he wants to ensure his organization is not an obstacle for wind power but a help. "I want to make sure Audubon is doing everything we can to promote both conservation and wind energy." Flicker summed up the Audubon perspective with stark directness. "When you look at a wind turbine, you can find the bird carcasses and count them," he said. "With a coal-fired power plant, you can't count the carcasses, but it's going to kill a lot more birds."

The Audobon Society is much in favor of wind for obvious reasons.

Flicker said that the organization's decision to speak out about wind came as a result of the recent increased urgency on the part of the scientific community with respect to global warming. Specifically, he cited a recent study by James Hansen for the National Academy of Sciences suggesting that if greenhouse gases are not reduced in the next decade, a significant number of plants and animals could face extinction by the middle of the century. "It creates a sense of urgency beyond anything we have seen before," said Flicker, adding that he wants to ensure his organization is not an obstacle for wind power but a help. "I want to make sure Audubon is doing everything we can to promote both conservation and wind energy." Flicker summed up the Audubon perspective with stark directness. "When you look at a wind turbine, you can find the bird carcasses and count them," he said. "With a coal-fired power plant, you can't count the carcasses, but it's going to kill a lot more birds."

again, let's see the experiment mr. Hansen. let's see if 120 PPM does anything. let's see it, I'm posting this until you provide it when you post this crap crock. everytime!!!!

Actually, you have a pretty good idea, Gracie. Well, the first half of it is excellent.
let's see that picture.

again, let's see the experiment mr. Hansen. let's see if 120 PPM does anything. let's see it, I'm posting this until you provide it when you post this crap crock. everytime!!!!

You seem angry. If you don't like what you read, you have a number of options. You can turn off your computer and rant and rave for a while. You can cry. You can get drunk.

Or you can actually post information to counter what you saw. This is called debating and it's what adults do.

windmills kill 600,000 birds and 1.5 million bats per year at minimum

:link:

Google is your friend as you so love to say, but here you go.... Funny how wind companies are suing to try and keep avian mortality rates secret.. No?

Wind energy firm sues to block bird death data release

US windfarms kill 10-20 times more than previously thought

"By chance (if you believe in coincidences), a timely government study claims wind farms will kill “only” 1.4 million birds yearly by 2030 (1). This new report is just one of many, financed with taxpayers’ money, aimed at convincing the public that additional mortality caused by wind plants is sustainable. – It is not.

Dr. Shawn Smallwood’s 2004 study, spanning four years, estimated that California’s Altamont Pass wind “farm” killed an average of 116 Golden Eagles annually (2). This adds up to 2,900 dead “goldies” since it was built 25 years ago. Altamont is the biggest sinkhole for the species, but not the only one, and industry-financed research claiming that California’s GE population is stable is but a white-wash.
"

US windfarms kill 10-20 times more than previously thought Save the Eagles International

Fort Collins Science Center

Wind Turbines Kill More Than 600 000 Bats A Year. What Should We Do Popular Science

High bat mortality from wind turbines -- ScienceDaily

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technology/windmills-600000-bats-0-69697

And these are just the US lower 48 deaths. It doesn't count ANY of the European or other continents deaths.

Once again no one is surprised to discover that you blatantly lied yet again!

Let's just put your lie back up here so that everyone can reference it;

Now let's look at what the links you provided actually stated;

From the first link;

(Washington, DC, December 10, 2013) A new study shows that in spite of updated designs, U.S. wind turbines are killing hundreds of thousands of birds annually—a number that may balloon to about 1.4 million per year by 2030,

The study does not say anything at all about bats and merely claims "hundreds of thousands of birds" without specifying exactly how many. The estimate for 2030 was made in 2010 so it was projecting out 20 years. Unfortunately no basis was provided for that projection.

The second link from USGS mentions bats but gives no statistics at all.

The 3rd link from Popular Science states "600,000 to 900,000 bats every year, according to a new study" but that is well below Westwall's claim. Note that the following article is about a bat species threatened by an oil pipeline. Don't see WW whining about those bats. :lol:

The Science Daily link states "bat deaths caused by wind turbines concludes that more than 600,000 of the mammals likely died this way in 2012 in the contiguous United States." Again this is well below Westwall's bogus claim.

The last link states "A new study published in the journal BioScience estimates that more than 600,000 bats died from interactions with wind turbines".

So from everything provided it is clear that Westwall was lying when he claimed that "windmills kill" "1.5 million bats per year at minimum".

But it gets even worse for Westwall since NONE of his links substantiated his claim that "windmills kill 600,000 birds".

Needless to say I don't expect anyone with Westwall's lack of honesty and integrity to admit that he lied.

He will probably want to delete this post so I will just remind him that I make copies of everything and since this post is directly on the OP topic of "death by wind turbine" he will have a hard time explaining it away if he does delete it because it exposes his lies.

My post was worldwide dipshit. The links I provided are ONLY for the USA. The only liar is you little petulant child. Grow the fuck up.

Here is one study for Canada...

Avian Conservation and Ecology Canadian Estimate of Bird Mortality Due to Collisions and Direct Habitat Loss Associated with Wind Turbine Developments

Here's Germany
Deutschlands Energiewende kollidiert mit migrierenden Flederm usen Forschungsverbund Berlin

Here's the UK
Wind farms vs wildlife The Spectator

So, no I didn't lie. You CHOSE to ignore the statement I made that these figures were for ONLY THE LOWER 48 STATES of the USA.

Now, don't expect a dishonest, petulant child to admit that he was wrong, no, expect him to make untruthful claims about someone who provides links when asked, and thrashes him in every discussion they engage in.

Twit....
the guy's a hack. I'd ignore him moving forward, isn't worth your time. You cornered him and he wailed like a baby. like many of them losers from the left.

You seem angry. If you don't like what you read, you have a number of options. You can turn off your computer and rant and rave for a while. You can cry. You can get drunk.

Or you can actually post information to counter what you saw. This is called debating and it's what adults do.
me angry, naw. I love to watch you all lose control. You run all around here and you have nothing to say. factually you're incorrect. All I ask to shut me up, is to supply us with the experiment that shows that 120 PPM does anything to temperatures. until then, all of your posts are insane.

Cars hazardous to Oregon bald eagles Local Regional News Eugene News Weather Sports Breaking News KVAL CBS 13

KENO, Ore. (AP) — Hundreds of bald eagles spend the winter in the Klamath Basin, attracted to the easy meals to be made of waterfowl that overwinter in the marshes and of roadkill on the highways around. But the bald eagle is slow on takeoff, which means the birds often get hit by vehicles and sent to the Badger Run Wildlife Rehab center.

The center in the small town Keno is a nonprofit organization that cares for the Klamath eagles that survive collisions on the road, or another big threat — gunshots.

About 10 eagles get to the center a year, most of them bald eagles, the center's president, Liz Diver, told the Klamath Falls Herald and News.

About half recover and pass tests to make sure they can fly and hunt, Diver said. Then they're released into the wild.

And that is just in one small area of the state. Yes, Eagles and other raptors do get hit on the highway. I have hit a Great Horned Owl on two differant occasions. And a number of other birds. I find it very hard to believe that in nearly 70 years of life you have not seen birds hit on the highway.

The wind industries record on industrial safety is excellent. That they kill some birds is a fact. As is the fact that the highways near them kill a lot more birds, even more raptors. And buildings, transmission lines, radio towers, feral cats, all kill more birds than do the towers. Go to the people that study birds, and look at their studies on it.

I live in eagle country. I have done so for over 30 years now. Guess how many eagles have been found dead on the side of the road. Zero. Eagles don't get killed by cars. Birds in general don't get killed by cars. It does indeed happen, but ask anyone you know how many birds they've seen hit by cars. The only times you see it happen is at racetracks where the vehicles are going really fast. The same go's for birds supposedly hitting buildings and dying. In my nearly 70 years, and the last 30 in the wild, it has NEVER happened. You would think that if it were so darn common, that there would be dead birds all over the place. But no. You don't see that either. What we do see though, are lots and lots of dead birds and bats around wind turbines.

Think again:

Thank you for those. I was unaware of the Michigan problem. Our speeds are much lower where eagles congregate so it is not an issue here. I can definitely see them feasting on roadkill (which up here is uncommon for the most part) and flying into the path of a vehicle.

Lesson learned.

Think again:

Thank you for those. I was unaware of the Michigan problem. Our speeds are much lower where eagles congregate so it is not an issue here. I can definitely see them feasting on roadkill (which up here is uncommon for the most part) and flying into the path of a vehicle.

Lesson learned.

Crows get killed by cars all across the Eastern U.S., as do vultures. I read a few weeks ago about two separate instances where owls were struck by vehicles. I myself have inadvertently struck a number of pigeons in the city.

Think again:

Lesson learned.

Crows get killed by cars all across the Eastern U.S., as do vultures. I read a few weeks ago about two separate instances where owls were struck by vehicles. I myself have inadvertently struck a number of pigeons in the city.

There is a 1,000 acre Audubon preserve about a mile from my house so we are literally part of it. What most people don't know is that there is a bald eagle nest right next to a six lane highway. I can't go for a walk or drive my car without seeing a raptor and I live in one of the most congested states in the nation.

So yes, I come across dead birds too. I have seen dead birds that flew into buildings and broke their necks. I have been in the building when they collided with them. It happens all the time. I have seen accidents caused because the geese are crossing the road with their fledglings. I have seen feral cats stalking and killing wild birds.

So this entire thread OP is utterly bogus. Wind turbines are not killing off birds in any greater numbers than those killed by cars, buildings, pollution, etc, etc.

Think again:

Lesson learned.

I hit a bird in Missouri back in 1988 or so. I was moving along at a good clip so the little sucker didn't have a chance to dodge.

Think again:

Lesson learned.

I hit a bird in Missouri back in 1988 or so. I was moving along at a good clip so the little sucker didn't have a chance to dodge.

Earlier you said "Birds in general don't get killed by cars". Now we find that you have actually murdered some of the little fuckers with your own car. So much for your credibility.

Think again:

Lesson learned.

Earlier you said "Birds in general don't get killed by cars". Now we find that you have actually murdered some of the little fuckers with your own car. So much for your credibility.

rofl_logo.jpg

:link:

Google is your friend as you so love to say, but here you go.... Funny how wind companies are suing to try and keep avian mortality rates secret.. No?

US windfarms kill 10-20 times more than previously thought

"By chance (if you believe in coincidences), a timely government study claims wind farms will kill “only” 1.4 million birds yearly by 2030 (1). This new report is just one of many, financed with taxpayers’ money, aimed at convincing the public that additional mortality caused by wind plants is sustainable. – It is not.

Dr. Shawn Smallwood’s 2004 study, spanning four years, estimated that California’s Altamont Pass wind “farm” killed an average of 116 Golden Eagles annually (2). This adds up to 2,900 dead “goldies” since it was built 25 years ago. Altamont is the biggest sinkhole for the species, but not the only one, and industry-financed research claiming that California’s GE population is stable is but a white-wash.
"

US windfarms kill 10-20 times more than previously thought Save the Eagles International

Fort Collins Science Center

Wind Turbines Kill More Than 600 000 Bats A Year. What Should We Do Popular Science

High bat mortality from wind turbines -- ScienceDaily

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technology/windmills-600000-bats-0-69697

And these are just the US lower 48 deaths. It doesn't count ANY of the European or other continents deaths.

Once again no one is surprised to discover that you blatantly lied yet again!

Let's just put your lie back up here so that everyone can reference it;

Now let's look at what the links you provided actually stated;

From the first link;

(Washington, DC, December 10, 2013) A new study shows that in spite of updated designs, U.S. wind turbines are killing hundreds of thousands of birds annually—a number that may balloon to about 1.4 million per year by 2030,

The study does not say anything at all about bats and merely claims "hundreds of thousands of birds" without specifying exactly how many. The estimate for 2030 was made in 2010 so it was projecting out 20 years. Unfortunately no basis was provided for that projection.

The second link from USGS mentions bats but gives no statistics at all.

The 3rd link from Popular Science states "600,000 to 900,000 bats every year, according to a new study" but that is well below Westwall's claim. Note that the following article is about a bat species threatened by an oil pipeline. Don't see WW whining about those bats. :lol:

The Science Daily link states "bat deaths caused by wind turbines concludes that more than 600,000 of the mammals likely died this way in 2012 in the contiguous United States." Again this is well below Westwall's bogus claim.

The last link states "A new study published in the journal BioScience estimates that more than 600,000 bats died from interactions with wind turbines".

So from everything provided it is clear that Westwall was lying when he claimed that "windmills kill" "1.5 million bats per year at minimum".

But it gets even worse for Westwall since NONE of his links substantiated his claim that "windmills kill 600,000 birds".

Needless to say I don't expect anyone with Westwall's lack of honesty and integrity to admit that he lied.

He will probably want to delete this post so I will just remind him that I make copies of everything and since this post is directly on the OP topic of "death by wind turbine" he will have a hard time explaining it away if he does delete it because it exposes his lies.

My post was worldwide dipshit. The links I provided are ONLY for the USA. The only liar is you little petulant child. Grow the fuck up.

Here is one study for Canada...

Avian Conservation and Ecology Canadian Estimate of Bird Mortality Due to Collisions and Direct Habitat Loss Associated with Wind Turbine Developments

Here's Germany
Deutschlands Energiewende kollidiert mit migrierenden Flederm usen Forschungsverbund Berlin

Here's the UK
Wind farms vs wildlife The Spectator

So, no I didn't lie. You CHOSE to ignore the statement I made that these figures were for ONLY THE LOWER 48 STATES of the USA.

Now, don't expect a dishonest, petulant child to admit that he was wrong, no, expect him to make untruthful claims about someone who provides links when asked, and thrashes him in every discussion they engage in.

Twit....

So if you are a moderator you get to tell someone to "...grow the fuck up"? Wow, when I do stuff like that I get suspended.

Think again:

Lesson learned.

In my experience I have not seen it happen very much. Yes, it certainly does happen but in all of my years of driving I have hit one. And I was doing 90 at the time. But, my comment, "birds in general", still stands. I never said it didn't happen, i just stated it was uncommon.

You need to learn English.

Think again:

Lesson learned.

There is a 1,000 acre Audubon preserve about a mile from my house so we are literally part of it. What most people don't know is that there is a bald eagle nest right next to a six lane highway. I can't go for a walk or drive my car without seeing a raptor and I live in one of the most congested states in the nation.

So yes, I come across dead birds too. I have seen dead birds that flew into buildings and broke their necks. I have been in the building when they collided with them. It happens all the time. I have seen accidents caused because the geese are crossing the road with their fledglings. I have seen feral cats stalking and killing wild birds.

So this entire thread OP is utterly bogus. Wind turbines are not killing off birds in any greater numbers than those killed by cars, buildings, pollution, etc, etc.

I know of that reserve. I'm in NJ, too. I used to live next to the Wasatch Range in Utah and I've NEVER seen wildlife like I do here outside Princeton. We have a mountain lion, a coyote pack, a fox (who has gotten spoiled from neighbors feeding him), a groundhog under my gazebo and tons of birds. Murders of crows, flocks of hawks. And the Canadian geese! My god, there's a company called Goose Busters that comes out to the big run-off reservoirs and unleashes a Border Collie to break up the massive flocks that settle along the water ditches.

let's see that picture.
You dont have imagination? To keep it cost effective...one pole that runs along the wind turbine pole stopping short of the blades. Make the turbine pole taller with at least 2 to 3 feet above the spinning blades. Bicycle wheel sort of frame UNDER the blades and one above. Wrap the chickenwire around those two bicycle wheels thingies. Wind still powers the blades, birds fly over or around or underneath. If they smack into it...they are on the chickenwire....NOT hitting the blades.

Forum List

Back