Famous Last Words ........ ( atheists on their death bed )

This thread is about eternity. These are the famous last words of atheists as they were dying and about to enter hell. Quite horrific but hopefully it will make some people realize that even these men knew the the truth and confessed it in their final moments on earth. As someone once said, "Hell is truth seen too late.

Famous Atheists Last Words Before Dying - Religion - Nairaland

Caesar Borgia: "While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die."

Thomas Hobbs political philosopher "I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark."

Thomas Payne the leading atheistic writer in American colonies: "Stay with me, for God's sake; I cannot bear to be left alone , O Lord, help me! O God, what have I done to suffer so much? What will become of me hereafter? "I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. 0 Lord, help me! Christ, help me! …No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England "Until this moment I thought there was neither a God nor a hell. Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty."

Voltaire famous anti-christian atheist: "I am abandoned by God and man; I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months' life." (He said this to Dr. Fochin, who told him it could not be done.) "Then I shall die and go to hell!" (His nurse said: "For all the money in Europe I wouldn’t want to see another unbeliever die! All night long he cried for forgiveness."

Robert Ingersoll: "O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!"

David Hume, atheist philosopher famous for his philosophy of empiricism and skepticism of religion, he cried loud on his death bed "I am in flames!" It is said his "desperation was a horrible scene".

I am good to people because they are people, I help people because I get satisfaction from it, not a reward of treasure or everlasting life, I do not hurt people or abuse them, I do not condemn people. All I get is maybe a smile and a thank you, but not eternal life.

i feel sorry for you if your only motivation to be good is to receive a reward, and commit crimes and have the get out of jail repent card. So bash gays all you want and keep getting tattoos with crosses and biblical verses. Lol and don't think that is ironic.

Can you answer this question? If you were to die tonight in your sleep, where would you be? Heaven or hell? Ignoring the reality of hell does not change the fact that it is there and that you will be going there if you do not surrender your life completely to Jesus.

I do not ascribe to any religious doctrine as they are all man made myths, therefore their version of hell is irrelevant to me.

I specifically do not intend to worship a fabricated Roman blood sacrifice.

Human sacrifice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No man can come to the Father except through the Son. If you desire to go to heaven? You will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. There is only one name under heaven by which you can be saved. The name of Jesus Christ. Apart from Him? You'll perish eternally in hell. You've been given a free will and it is your choice. Choose life. Eternity is a very long time.

This thread is about eternity. These are the famous last words of atheists as they were dying and about to enter hell. Quite horrific but hopefully it will make some people realize that even these men knew the the truth and confessed it in their final moments on earth. As someone once said, "Hell is truth seen too late.

Caesar Borgia: "While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die."

Thomas Hobbs political philosopher "I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark."

Thomas Payne the leading atheistic writer in American colonies: "Stay with me, for God's sake; I cannot bear to be left alone , O Lord, help me! O God, what have I done to suffer so much? What will become of me hereafter? "I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. 0 Lord, help me! Christ, help me! …No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England "Until this moment I thought there was neither a God nor a hell. Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty."

Voltaire famous anti-christian atheist: "I am abandoned by God and man; I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months' life." (He said this to Dr. Fochin, who told him it could not be done.) "Then I shall die and go to hell!" (His nurse said: "For all the money in Europe I wouldn’t want to see another unbeliever die! All night long he cried for forgiveness."

Robert Ingersoll: "O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!"

David Hume, atheist philosopher famous for his philosophy of empiricism and skepticism of religion, he cried loud on his death bed "I am in flames!" It is said his "desperation was a horrible scene".

I am good to people because they are people, I help people because I get satisfaction from it, not a reward of treasure or everlasting life, I do not hurt people or abuse them, I do not condemn people. All I get is maybe a smile and a thank you, but not eternal life.

i feel sorry for you if your only motivation to be good is to receive a reward, and commit crimes and have the get out of jail repent card. So bash gays all you want and keep getting tattoos with crosses and biblical verses. Lol and don't think that is ironic.

I do not need the constant fear of hell and damnation to obey God! I love the LORD and desire to be pleasing in His sight! No one is bashing gays. We're talking about last words of atheists and how they knew there was a hell before they took their last breath. Stay on topic here. Thank you.

Ok I will stay on topic, thanks.

I think it is ironic that they believe in hell right before they die because....well there is no hell until judgement. So they fear hell without being judge because that is when hell begins. So they know they are going to hell before they are judged? It does not make any sense to be judged then does it?

I think it is ironic that they believe in hell right before they die because....well there is no hell until judgement. So they fear hell without being judge because that is when hell begins. So they know they are going to hell before they are judged? It does not make any sense to be judged then does it?

Well, let's look at this from the point of view of a court here on earth. You know you did the crime and you are about to face a judge for sentencing. The law books say for the crime committed it is the death penalty. a. You feel nothing about it until you are in the electric chair. b. You know the full weight of what you've done and the dread of what is about to happen before you even get before the judge.

I'd say b. is the right answer. How about you?

As for the matter of hell? Anton Lavey cried out, Something is wrong! Something is wrong! Why? Because he was dying and could sense the evil closing in on him. At the point of dying your spirit would be quite able to perceive what it would not were you healthy and living in a sinful state. There are many testimonies about people even experiencing demons tormenting them, dragging them to hell while they were dying.

So are you saved, Timothy?

Well, let's look at this from the point of view of a court here on earth. You know you did the crime and you are about to face a judge for sentencing. The law books say for the crime committed it is the death penalty. a. You feel nothing about it until you are in the electric chair. b. You know the full weight of what you've done and the dread of what is about to happen before you even get before the judge.

I'd say b. is the right answer. How about you?

As for the matter of hell? Anton Lavey cried out, Something is wrong! Something is wrong! Why? Because he was dying and could sense the evil closing in on him. At the point of dying your spirit would be quite able to perceive what it would not were you healthy and living in a sinful state. There are many testimonies about people even experiencing demons tormenting them, dragging them to hell while they were dying.

So are you saved, Timothy?
No sorry, if that is my worst sin that I were to commit is disbelief, and your God cannot find any worth in someone like me because of that. Then he is not worthy of me. he can fill his heaven with murders and all sorts of other incredible crimes, but disbelieve is where he draws the line on a good life? And will punish me forever? He does not seem like a very good leader or one who would inspire respect.

I have a respect for religion though, I love the religious classical compositions by Bach, Mozart, and numerous others, I have visited cathedrals throughout Europe and the uk, as well as ancient pagan sites, I love history. The temples and cathedrals even the ones in ruins are beautifully made and sadly today's standards are not even close to those ancient masters of stone. I can tell they put their hearts into those great works of art and can appreciate them for the beauty and craftsmanship even the pagan ones.

I just draw the line at religion for myself, I had to read the bible at an early age and had to understand it. I had to write reports on what I read and I was horrified, and cried my eyes out and was terrified. The questions I asked were never answered and they always added things to the text that wasn't there. it just seemed to me so wrong to kill innocent people who had no knowledge of what they did was wrong. Innocent children put to death, people that were converting and their families put to death. On and on I read and I could not identify who was good and who was bad. But the supposed good people were doing most of the killing. And I never really saw where satan killed anybody besides possessing people and they never said what they did when they were possessed.

I am glad you find goodness in the book, I just never saw it. Nor would I enjoy being around those people back then, because if you were not Hebrew they would eventually kill you, or their God would as an example.

Last edited:

If there is a god that is waiting to meet us when we die, which is most likely wishful thinking, I believe he would reward me for not believing any of the organized religions.

What I am sure of is that all the organized religions are nonsense. The only serious debate I can have is with theists who argue for a generic god. All others like jews, christians, mormons and muslims who take the bible literally I can only laugh at. If they believe the bible stories or the stories in the koran are real, like 800 year old men and a man living in a whale for days or a virgin birth, then they are too far gone.

So what oops? What mistake did we make? Should we have believed in

a. The Christian God?
b. What the Jews believe?
c. Muslims?
d. Are Mormons right?
e. All of the above? As long as you believe in any god you are safe?

I don't know which to choose. I'm scared. LOL.

If there is a god, I'm sure he doesn't care if you believe. If he cares about anything it would be being a good person. But most likely if something created us we are like a Tardigrade to a Human. Do you care about a Tardigrade that is living in your water? What about a maggot that spawned from a shit you took in the woods? Do you care about the maggot? Do you have a heaven waiting for it? I bet a fish in a fishbowl thinks you are a god too. If it can think that much. Probably any size pea brain can imagine a supreme being is a god on some level. So primitive and silly. Sorry.

You are trying to hard, me thinks laughing on the outside, crying on the inside.

If there is a god that is waiting to meet us when we die, which is most likely wishful thinking, I believe he would reward me for not believing any of the organized religions.

What I am sure of is that all the organized religions are nonsense. The only serious debate I can have is with theists who argue for a generic god. All others like jews, christians, mormons and muslims who take the bible literally I can only laugh at. If they believe the bible stories or the stories in the koran are real, like 800 year old men and a man living in a whale for days or a virgin birth, then they are too far gone.

So what oops? What mistake did we make? Should we have believed in

a. The Christian God?
b. What the Jews believe?
c. Muslims?
d. Are Mormons right?
e. All of the above? As long as you believe in any god you are safe?

I don't know which to choose. I'm scared. LOL.

If there is a god, I'm sure he doesn't care if you believe. If he cares about anything it would be being a good person. But most likely if something created us we are like a Tardigrade to a Human. Do you care about a Tardigrade that is living in your water? What about a maggot that spawned from a shit you took in the woods? Do you care about the maggot? Do you have a heaven waiting for it? I bet a fish in a fishbowl thinks you are a god too. If it can think that much. Probably any size pea brain can imagine a supreme being is a god on some level. So primitive and silly. Sorry.

You are trying to hard, me thinks laughing on the outside, crying on the inside.
Of course you would think that. I was listening to a radio preacher yesterday and clearly you've been brainwashed.

I often wonder who is falling for this crap. That preacher was all over the place. And I had questions for every bible quote he rattled off.

He was saying if you could see yourself like God does you would be sick. God sees us as adulerer, liars, blasphemers, basically scum. But he loves you and if you will just be saved.

If you think I'm crying on the inside, if that's what you got out of my post then you aren't thinking with your brain you're letting your emotions affect your thought process.

I get it. You are afraid you'll go to hell or you want to go to heaven. What you want and what you are afraid of is getting in the way of your rational thinking.

Can you answer this question? If you were to die tonight in your sleep, where would you be? Heaven or hell? Ignoring the reality of hell does not change the fact that it is there and that you will be going there if you do not surrender your life completely to Jesus.

I do not ascribe to any religious doctrine as they are all man made myths, therefore their version of hell is irrelevant to me.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No man can come to the Father except through the Son. If you desire to go to heaven? You will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. There is only one name under heaven by which you can be saved. The name of Jesus Christ. Apart from Him? You'll perish eternally in hell. You've been given a free will and it is your choice. Choose life. Eternity is a very long time.
Who told you this? Who is Jesus? Did he tell you this? Sounds just like every other cult leader.

People say crazy shit on their deathbeds. Look at Civil War generals. They died barking orders from engagements decades before their deaths. My great grandmother spent her last days talking to the Kaiser in German. Thoughts probably aren't too lucid when the body is shutting down.

Deathbed Conversions
Deathbed conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Claims of the deathbed conversion of famous or influential figures are commonly used as rhetorical devices, but are rarely verifiable."

Matthew 22:36-40King James Version (KJV)
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Matthew 22:36-40King James Version (KJV)
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
If it's so important why did he bury it in chapter 22 vs 36?

And why wasn't he clear and consice? Why did he ramble on and say everything?

And then not a peep since?

Amen! Welcome to USMB, Jason![/QUOTE]

Thanks for welcome note, Jeremiah!

The occasions of atheists recanting on their deathbeds cannot be dismissed as merely the product of Christian lies, as some have suggested. In spite of what you may read on the Internet, most of those who have worked extensively in hospice care and have been around atheists/agnostics nearing death know that a good number of them seek God as the cold chill approaches. Not all, of course.

And in fact, this is not surprising because I dare say that almost every man and woman, during those isolated times in life, when feeling alone or secluded for a long period...when in intense pain...or even when just lying in bed staring into the cold blackness...finds their thoughts turning to the possibility of a spiritual world and an eternal God. Those who are honest with themselves will admit that they may question their atheistic/agnostic views on those occasions.

So the question arises, why would it would be so common for man to experience this turning of his thoughts toward God and the unseen world during difficult or lonely times? Is it just because they heard some religious "fairy tales" about Hell and the Devil when they were kids, which they no longer believe? How would that make believe story, patently held to be false, always rear its ugly head again during difficult times? The reason for this is because God has “placed eternity in the heart of man,” along with a God-given desire to seek after Him (Eccl. 3:11; Rom. 1:19-22).
----------------------------

I’m reminded of the death of the great Voltaire in 1778. He was an atheist’s atheist, and many believe he was in large part the impetus for The Terror of the French Revolution--a horrific period of bloodshed and torture applied to those claiming to be Christians or loyal to the Crown. Voltaire’s dying days are briefly described in Vol. 1 of the book, Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism, written in 1797 by Abbe Barruel. To answer criticism raised by Voltaire’s supporters, in Barruel’s second edition published in 1798 he included a letter written by an imminent member of French society, Mr. de Luc. De Luc was a good friend of the physician [Mr. Tronchin] who treated Voltaire during his final illness. The physician described to Mr. de Luc and others “the horrid state of this impious man’s soul at the approach of death. Mr. Tronchin did everything in his power to calm him; for the agitation he was in was so violent that no remedies could take effect. But he [Tronchin] could not succeed; and unable to endure the horror he felt at the particular nature of [Voltaire’s] frantic rage, he abandoned him.”

De Luc also recounted the experiences of an eyewitness during Voltaire’s earlier sickness, which almost resulted in death, in which Voltaire “sent for a priest, confessed to him, and begged to receive the sacrament, which he actually did receive, showing all the exterior signs of repentance...which lasted as long as his danger; but as soon as that was over, he affected to laugh at what he called his ‘littleness’ and turning to Mr. Dieze, said he, ‘My friend you have seent the weakness of the man.’”

During his final illness, Voltaire’s friends were careful to allow no priest to be summoned by Voltaire, to ensure that he did not recant publicly. Voltaire’s end was as follows:

“D’Alembert, Diderot, and about twenty others of the conspirators who had beset his apartment, never approached him; but to witness their own ignominy often he would curse them and exclaim, ‘Retire, it is you that have brought me to my present state; begone, I could have done without you all; but you could not exist without me; and what a wretched glory have you procured me!’

“Then would succeed the horrid remembrance of his conspiracy. They could hear him, the prey of anguish and dread, alternatively supplicating and blaspheming that God against whom he had conspired; and in plaintive accents would he cry out, Oh Christ! Oh Jesus Christ! and then complain that he was abandoned by God and man...his physician (particularly Mr. Tronchin) calling in to administer relief, would retire thunderstruck; declaring the death of the impious man to be terrible indeed. The pride of the conspirators would willingly have suppressed these declarations, but it was in vain: the Mareschal de Richlieu flies from the bedside declaring it to be a fight too terrible to be sustained; and Mr. Tronchin says that the ravings of Orestes could give but a faint idea of those of Voltaire.”

Keep in mind that these documents were written immediately after the death of Voltaire, and I have the facsimile version of Barruels’ 2nd edition from 1798 (still written with the “medial s”).

Yet even this level of evidence will not convince one who is determined to uphold the picture of the brave, unwavering atheist in death. For those who are yet wavering, make peace with God now, before it is too late, as death’s hand begins to close its grip around the throat.

Life itself is meaningless and consists of blindly jumping from one meaningless diversion to another (sports, philosophy, art, literature, movies, hobbies, politics, etc.)...unless lived in the light of the teachings of God’s revealed Word.

"Death is a Natural part of life. Rejoice when those around you transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is."

Christian on his deathbed.......What do you mean heaven is a fantasy?

"I drank what?" - Socrates :)

"It still moves!" - Gallileo :)

"Alas, I think that I am becoming a God" -- Vespasian

Amen! Welcome to USMB, Jason!

Thanks for welcome note, Jeremiah!

The occasions of atheists recanting on their deathbeds cannot be dismissed as merely the product of Christian lies, as some have suggested. In spite of what you may read on the Internet, most of those who have worked extensively in hospice care and have been around atheists/agnostics nearing death know that a good number of them seek God as the cold chill approaches. Not all, of course.

And in fact, this is not surprising because I dare say that almost every man and woman, during those isolated times in life, when feeling alone or secluded for a long period...when in intense pain...or even when just lying in bed staring into the cold blackness...finds their thoughts turning to the possibility of a spiritual world and an eternal God. Those who are honest with themselves will admit that they may question their atheistic/agnostic views on those occasions.

So the question arises, why would it would be so common for man to experience this turning of his thoughts toward God and the unseen world during difficult or lonely times? Is it just because they heard some religious "fairy tales" about Hell and the Devil when they were kids, which they no longer believe? How would that make believe story, patently held to be false, always rear its ugly head again during difficult times? The reason for this is because God has “placed eternity in the heart of man,” along with a God-given desire to seek after Him (Eccl. 3:11; Rom. 1:19-22).
----------------------------

I’m reminded of the death of the great Voltaire in 1778. He was an atheist’s atheist, and many believe he was in large part the impetus for The Terror of the French Revolution--a horrific period of bloodshed and torture applied to those claiming to be Christians or loyal to the Crown. Voltaire’s dying days are briefly described in Vol. 1 of the book, Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism, written in 1797 by Abbe Barruel. To answer criticism raised by Voltaire’s supporters, in Barruel’s second edition published in 1798 he included a letter written by an imminent member of French society, Mr. de Luc. De Luc was a good friend of the physician [Mr. Tronchin] who treated Voltaire during his final illness. The physician described to Mr. de Luc and others “the horrid state of this impious man’s soul at the approach of death. Mr. Tronchin did everything in his power to calm him; for the agitation he was in was so violent that no remedies could take effect. But he [Tronchin] could not succeed; and unable to endure the horror he felt at the particular nature of [Voltaire’s] frantic rage, he abandoned him.”

De Luc also recounted the experiences of an eyewitness during Voltaire’s earlier sickness, which almost resulted in death, in which Voltaire “sent for a priest, confessed to him, and begged to receive the sacrament, which he actually did receive, showing all the exterior signs of repentance...which lasted as long as his danger; but as soon as that was over, he affected to laugh at what he called his ‘littleness’ and turning to Mr. Dieze, said he, ‘My friend you have seent the weakness of the man.’”

During his final illness, Voltaire’s friends were careful to allow no priest to be summoned by Voltaire, to ensure that he did not recant publicly. Voltaire’s end was as follows:

“D’Alembert, Diderot, and about twenty others of the conspirators who had beset his apartment, never approached him; but to witness their own ignominy often he would curse them and exclaim, ‘Retire, it is you that have brought me to my present state; begone, I could have done without you all; but you could not exist without me; and what a wretched glory have you procured me!’

“Then would succeed the horrid remembrance of his conspiracy. They could hear him, the prey of anguish and dread, alternatively supplicating and blaspheming that God against whom he had conspired; and in plaintive accents would he cry out, Oh Christ! Oh Jesus Christ! and then complain that he was abandoned by God and man...his physician (particularly Mr. Tronchin) calling in to administer relief, would retire thunderstruck; declaring the death of the impious man to be terrible indeed. The pride of the conspirators would willingly have suppressed these declarations, but it was in vain: the Mareschal de Richlieu flies from the bedside declaring it to be a fight too terrible to be sustained; and Mr. Tronchin says that the ravings of Orestes could give but a faint idea of those of Voltaire.”

Keep in mind that these documents were written immediately after the death of Voltaire, and I have the facsimile version of Barruels’ 2nd edition from 1798 (still written with the “medial s”).

Yet even this level of evidence will not convince one who is determined to uphold the picture of the brave, unwavering atheist in death. For those who are yet wavering, make peace with God now, before it is too late, as death’s hand begins to close its grip around the throat.

Life itself is meaningless and consists of blindly jumping from one meaningless diversion to another (sports, philosophy, art, literature, movies, hobbies, politics, etc.)...unless lived in the light of the teachings of God’s revealed Word.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for a most excellent post! It was a pleasure to read! Thank you so much!

^
Christalone confirmed Jeramiah alt

Jeremiah accidently says to her alt "Thanks for the welcome note Jeremiah!"

"Alas, I think that I am becoming a God" -- Vespasian

"Alas, I was wrong and it is too late for me now!"
-- Vespasian suffering in the flames of hell

Forum List

Back