Group to fly Confederate flag; NAACP opposes

Unfortunately your avatar pretty much illustrates what consitutes confederate heritage these days.

The dangers of inbreeding

Hey, now. (-; I live in Miss, and there is, imo, no denying the patriotism of those who died fighting for their state. But the heritage was hijacked by racists decades ago.

No, southerners continue to be branded racist because liberals find it convenient to do so. Race relations are better in Mississippi than in Illinois.

Wake up.

Hey, now. (-; I live in Miss, and there is, imo, no denying the patriotism of those who died fighting for their state. But the heritage was hijacked by racists decades ago.

No, southerners continue to be branded racist because liberals find it convenient to do so. Race relations are better in Mississippi than in Illinois.

Wake up.

Some of the worst bigots I ever met I met while living in NYC.

Libs live in a world of yesterday and absolutes... they still think it is 1857... and then they tell you how they're the smart, educated ones.

:lol:

hey benny how ya doing these days? Anyone else from the old yahoo board around here?

Not really. Velvetta pops in and out. I really don't know what became of folks. There are some interesting posters here. Civil Discourse has a board with interesting topics, but not much traffic.

If you say so. it would take 15 of you to handle me. Thats pretty much the same odds the Klan favors before they are brave enough to confront a black male all by himself. :lol:

Ohhh, an internet tough guy! I know I'm impressed.

Come on sparky, you know that what you really want is to put enemies of the party into forced labor camps....

Wake up.

Where in your mind did you assume that I posted there were more racists here than elsewhare? What I posted was the flag was hijacked as symbol of racism decades ago. The Klan marched that rag all around without so much as a peep from the southern heritage folks. But, there's no denying the courage and good intentions of the people who died fighting for the confederacy, and most who died never had slaves.

Wake up.

Where in your mind did you assume that I posted there were more racists here than elsewhare? What I posted was the flag was hijacked as symbol of racism decades ago. The Klan marched that rag all around without so much as a peep from the southern heritage folks. But, there's no denying the courage and good intentions of the people who died fighting for the confederacy, and most who died never had slaves.

Fighting and dying so the more fortunate can keep their free labor.

How fucking stupid is that?

Last edited:

Wake up.

Well, one could call it idealistic, but imo it was more about not wanting to be overrurn by millions of freed slaves. I haven't looked at the pop numbers in years, but poor whites were about one for one with slaves down here. And the Irish i the North weren't really thrilled with emancipation either.

Wake up.

Most southern heritage folks have sense enough to know that even the Klan has free speech rights and don't get their panties in a twist when that silly, powerless organization exercises them.

Besides, the Klan that rose in the 20s had nothing to do with the organization started by Nathan Bedford Forrest other than its name and was primarily based in the midwest.

...and yes, your post implied that both the Klan and racism were endemic to southern culture.

Where do you think the underground railroad began?

Wake up.

Most southern heritage folks have sense enough to know that even the Klan has free speech rights and don't get their panties in a twist when that silly, powerless organization exercises them.

Besides, the Klan that rose in the 20s had nothing to do with the organization started by Nathan Bedford Forrest other than its name and was primarily based in the midwest.

...and yes, your post implied that both the Klan and racism were endemic to southern culture.

Implications arise from your imagination and projection.

Wake up.

No, fighting and dying to keep people like you out of their business.

Certainly a noble effort.

It is obvious that you have been brain-damaged by the staffs of yankee public schools.

Implications arise from your imagination and projection.

No, they arise from your text.

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memor ial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

The state’s chapter of the NAACP is vocally opposing the move.
Confederate flag will fly along I-95 - Richmond Times-Dispatch: City Of Richmond
Of course they do.
But... so what?
Do they expect someone, like the state, to stop them?

Having the right to free speech means that, sometimes, people are going to say things you don't like. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.

If it's a private group, they can pretty much do whatever they want. Not that I agree with them, but they do have the right to fly the Confederate Flag.

What is it you don't agree with "them" about ? You don't even know why they are flying it. Are you implying they are flying it because they want to bring slavery back ?
More than likely they are flying it because they are proud of their region of the country and their home. I think you liberals always have a knee-jerk reaction when this issue comes up.

No, fighting and dying to keep people like you out of their business.

Certainly a noble effort.

It is obvious that you have been brain-damaged by the staffs of yankee public schools.

Sorry bub. They fought to preserve slavery...and lost in that battle to do so. The Klan used the confederate flag so much until it became a symbol of racism. I heard of no southerners complaining about it either. Now all of a sudden they wonder why people are against it? :wtf:

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memor ial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

Confederate flag will fly along I-95 - Richmond Times-Dispatch: City Of Richmond
Of course they do.
But... so what?

Having the right to free speech means that, sometimes, people are going to say things you don't like. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.

I'm not a big fan of the Confederacy, I'm also not a big fan for what that flag symbolized before, during, and after the Civil rights Era; I don't blame the NAACP for protesting it, that's their First Amendment right to do so as is flying that flag on private property. I live somewhat close to the Richmond area and I don't give a shit if they fly that flag or not. I heard on the radio today, that the Confederate flag as we know it today was actually not the flag of the Confederacy, but the flag used in Tennessee. That flag was used and is used by many hate groups, that's why some if not many Black people have an aversion to that flag.
I DO think that some people do honor that flag for reason of "heritage and not hate", in some ways it just morphed into popular culture with some groups of people, just like say the "urban style" has morphed with some groups of people, and in my opinion the true meaning of it is kind of superficial with no true feeling towards it.
I'm part Black, my wife is White, and when we went to visit my in laws in the mountains of North Georgia near Chattanooga Tennessee, I met a nephew I haven't met before, we hit it off right away and he wanted to take the dogs to the creek when I first got there. If you looked at his facebook picture with a rebel flag behind it, the Mossy Oak stickers on his truck, and the Rebel Flag license plate, one would come to a different conclusion or have a different perception of him. He is in fact a fine young man who doesn't seem to harbor any racial animus. It's just part of their "Redneck culture" up there, just like a few decades back (scary!), a lot of urban youths were wearing "X's" on their caps and tee shirts, as part of their "Urban culture"..

Of course they do.
But... so what?

They have the right to fly the flag.

And the NAACP has the right to protest it.

End of story.

tumblr_lov7x8WF561qizl0so1_500.gif

Forum List

Back