Idea On Voting In Federal Elections, Do You Agree?

I was posting in a thread and my light bulb came on for a voting proposal, which is this:

First, you have to be 18 or older and a US citizen, as well as some other restrictions already on the books. Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes. This seems fair to me since a large part of what we are voting for is in how our tax dollars are spent, so, only those actually paying those taxes should decide how they are spent. Those paying no federal income taxes shouldn't get a say in how the tax dollars paid by tax payers is spent.

This should please leftists because they claim many of the rich don't pay federal income taxes or that the rich don't pay their fair share, leaving the voting mostly in the hands of the tax payers who are paying the taxes (the little guys), right?
Sure fine with it as long as paying no federal taxes also means no campaign contributions of any type

I was posting in a thread and my light bulb came on for a voting proposal, which is this:

First, you have to be 18 or older and a US citizen, as well as some other restrictions already on the books. Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes. This seems fair to me since a large part of what we are voting for is in how our tax dollars are spent, so, only those actually paying those taxes should decide how they are spent. Those paying no federal income taxes shouldn't get a say in how the tax dollars paid by tax payers is spent.

This should please leftists because they claim many of the rich don't pay federal income taxes or that the rich don't pay their fair share, leaving the voting mostly in the hands of the tax payers who are paying the taxes (the little guys), right?
Fascist ideas. Go figure.

Never happen ya RWinger. Never.

Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes.
Is that in the year you are voting or what?

In case you missed it. On their 2020 income tax returns, Trump and his wife Melania paid no federal income taxes and claimed a refund of $5.47 million, according to the report by the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation.Dec 20, 2022

Is that in the year you are voting or what?
That's a valid question. The voter would have to prove they paid federal income taxes, either that year or the previous year. The whole point is, the left should love this idea because they claim the rich do not pay taxes so that would eliminate the rich from voting, assuming what the left says is true.

No, I'm saying paying to vote will never be imposed. It's bullshit.
It was a thought to provoke discussion. I realize this is beyond fantasy. In fact, the whole thread is actually about showing that the left would never accept this because they know the rich actually do pay their fair share in taxes while 50% of Americans pay zero. In a good deal of cases, zero is actually not a fair share.

So a stay at home parent that has no income and thus does not pay income tax, would not be eligible to vote?

It was a thought to provoke discussion. I realize this is beyond fantasy. In fact, the whole thread is actually about showing that the left would never accept this because they know the rich actually do pay their fair share in taxes while 50% of Americans pay zero. In a good deal of cases, zero is actually not a fair share.
Dream on.

That's a valid question. The voter would have to prove they paid federal income taxes, either that year or the previous year. The whole point is, the left should love this idea because they claim the rich do not pay taxes so that would eliminate the rich from voting, assuming what the left says is true.
In case you missed it. On their 2020 income tax returns, Trump and his wife Melania paid no federal income taxes and claimed a refund of $5.47 million, according to the report by the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation.Dec 20, 2022

So a stay at home parent that has no income and thus does not pay income tax, would not be eligible to vote?
Correct. If you don't pay taxes then you have no right to have a say in how taxes are spent by the people who do actually pay taxes.

If paying taxes is so vital, why not allow 16 year olds that pay income tax to vote?
I would actually be OK with that if they were actually paying taxes as per a tax return. Simply having taxes taken out of your paycheck doesn't mean you are actually paying taxes.

So? That's the whole point of this thread. People who pay no federal income taxes don't get to vote and that includes Trump. The left should go for this because they claim the rich don't pay taxes. So, are you now on board?

Correct. If you don't pay taxes then you have no right to have a say in how taxes are spent by the people who do actually pay taxes.

Then I cannot go along with your idea.

That totally diminishes the role of a parent being a parent. It tells people that holding a job is more important than raising your children.

So? That's the whole point of this thread. People who pay no federal income taxes don't get to vote and that includes Trump. The left should go for this because they claim the rich don't pay taxes. So, are you now on board?

No, of course not. The rules say citizenship and 18. No literacy test. No mandatory English requirement. No income requirement. No guessing how many gumballs are in the jar.......

Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes. This seems fair to me since a large part of what we are voting for is in how our tax dollars are spent, so, only those actually paying those taxes should decide how they are spent. Those paying no federal income taxes shouldn't get a say in how the tax dollars paid by tax payers is spent.
Why only income taxes? If you pay Federal gas tax shouldn't you get to vote on how they are spent?

Forum List

Back