Idea On Voting In Federal Elections, Do You Agree?

I was posting in a thread and my light bulb came on for a voting proposal, which is this:

First, you have to be 18 or older and a US citizen, as well as some other restrictions already on the books. Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes. This seems fair to me since a large part of what we are voting for is in how our tax dollars are spent, so, only those actually paying those taxes should decide how they are spent. Those paying no federal income taxes shouldn't get a say in how the tax dollars paid by tax payers is spent.

This should please leftists because they claim many of the rich don't pay federal income taxes or that the rich don't pay their fair share, leaving the voting mostly in the hands of the tax payers who are paying the taxes (the little guys), right?
Just to clarify.

A single person who makes 20k a year and has a kid wouldnt get to vote under this structure as they wouldn't pay any Fed Income Tax. Is that what you're proposing?

What if said person paid 1$, even if it wasn't required of them. Could they then vote?

Could a person who doesn't work at all pay 1 cent in taxes and then be eligible to vote?

Would someone who used to pay income tax but goes on SS and falls beneath the threshold where they would be paying income tax lose their vote?

Does a service member in a tax-free combat zone lose their right to vote?

Just to clarify.

A single person who makes 20k a year and has a kid wouldnt get to vote under this structure as they wouldn't pay any Fed Income Tax. Is that what you're proposing?

What if said person paid 1$, even if it wasn't required of them. Could they then vote?

Could a person who doesn't work at all pay 1 cent in taxes and then be eligible to vote?

Would someone who used to pay income tax but goes on SS and falls beneath the threshold where they would be paying income tax lose their vote?

All good questions, do not expect a response

Last edited:
Just to clarify.

I think liberals would want to jump on this because they claim the rich pay no taxes so, if that's true, then the rich wouldn't be able to vote.

I did answer his questions.

I think liberals would want to jump on this because they claim the rich pay no taxes so, if that's true, then the rich wouldn't be able to vote.

That did not address a single question he asked you about your plan.

Here are 3 of them...

There are a lot more poor low wage earners, who also pay taxes, just not income taxes, than there are ba_millionaires who pay no income tax because they have great accountants. I think disenfranchising voters is a no go.
The rich pay the huge majority of all federal income taxes collected. It is a myth that they do not pay taxes.

The rich pay the huge majority of all federal income taxes collected. It is a myth that they do not pay taxes.

Should the amount of taxes you pay determine how much your particular vote counts. Should each dollar paid in count for a vote? The more you pay the more influence you have?

Should the amount of taxes you pay determine how much your particular vote counts. Should each dollar paid in count for a vote? The more you pay the more influence you have?
You said the rich don't pay taxes and that the poor pay more taxes than the rich do. I proved you wrong.

You said the rich don't pay taxes and that the poor pay more taxes than the rich do. I proved you wrong.
I never made such a blanket statement. I showed you Trump paid no income tax in 2020. That doesn't mean he didn't pay other taxes that year either. Low income households do pay more as a percent of their income, in the other taxes category as well.

Forum List

Back