Is Home-Schooling a Fundamental Right?

When comparing home schooled children to public school, you also have to factor in the family dynamic. Home schooled children have parents who are very involved in the education process, while too often public school parents ship their kids off in the morning and feel their job is done until its time to pick them up again.

They have a very low student to teacher ratio

Well....since you'd like to include the 'student-teacher' ratio, it seems
only fair to ask what the salary ratio of government school teacher to home school teacher is.

It'd be interesting to see a study on home schooled vs public school on areas besides academics, like social skills and preparedness for college.

Home Education vs. Public Education

by Jacki LeClair

Jacki LeClair [send her mail] is a 21-year-old surety underwriting assistant and college student.

I'm glad her experience with homeschooling was so positive.

There was a family I went to high school with who homeschooled their children k-8 and then sent them to high school with everyone else. The kids were very smart, great kids. However they were woefully unprepared for a school setting. It was like throwing a child who's never seen water in a pool and expecting them to swim.

BO is using the recent shooting to push the leftie agenda even further into the schools by placing "School Resource Officers"......even into non-public schools....for safety, security, and 'counseling'......:rolleyes:

knowing BO's track record regarding religious institutions this 'help' should be summarily rejected instead of welcomed as the Jewish Orthodox Union is stupidly doing...

it'd be kind of hard to place 'school resource officers' in every single homeschool.....:lol:

1-17-13 The Orthodox Union has been informed by The White House that the funding proposal may be used to place the new officers in Jewish and other nonpublic schools to provide security, counseling, and safety education.

The Lakewood Scoop » OU Commends President Obama?s Plan To Improve School Safety; White House Confirms Availability For All Schools » The heartbeat of the lakewood community

class size is important

Prove it is not

I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it wasn't as important as how kids are taught. Those are two separate things.

There were 31 kids in my First and Second Grade classes, and that was pretty much the case all through school. There were 60 kids in my highschool biology class because one of our teachers became ill and could not teach for several months. I learned quite well back then, however. Those of us who were faster readers were put to work helping the slower kids. Ditto for math, language, science, and music. I think maybe I got my love of teaching just through that experience. And that biology class? It provided me a sufficient background that I zoomed effortless through college biology in which incidentally, there were 200 people in the class.

Consider the pioneer teachers who were teaching multiple grades simultaneously in the same classroom, and yet those kids got a good education. And yet somebody who is more interested in indoctrination than in solid subjects or who would rather do fun things than hard academic work is not going to teach well regardless of class size.

Content, attitude, values, method, all more important than class size.

that is not a study

It sure was interesting....

It included this:

"Scholastic education aside, what about moral education? Public schools are teaching high schoolers proper condom usage, while staying away from such alternatives as chastity. Pro-homosexuality and anti-gun sentiments are being hurrahed in schools, yet prayer is banned. School nurses tell parents that children are not required to receive permission before obtaining abortion referrals through the school. Any aspect of moral education has been wiped out and replaced with an "if it feels good, do it" mentality. As a result, the rebellious attitude and scholastic disinterest of today’s youth are fostered by a permissive and indulgent educational system."

You agree, don't you?

facts are facts

Kids do better with moire individual instruction.

Just trashing other teachers wont fix this mess even if it does make you feel all warm inside

It'd be interesting to see a study on home schooled vs public school on areas besides academics, like social skills and preparedness for college.

"Galloway (1995) concludes that homeschoolers and traditionally educated students demonstrate similar academic preparedness for college and academic achievement. And according to Rudner (1999), achievement test scores of homeschooled students are high. The students' average scores were typicality in the 70th to 80th percentile, with 25% of homeschool students enrolled one or more grades above their age-level peers in public and private schools. Christopher Klicka, Senior Counsel for the Home School Legal Defense Association, reports that homeschoolers tend to score above the national average on both the SAT and ACT, the primary tests used by colleges in evaluating college applicants. A study of 2219 students who reported their homeschooled status on the SAT in 1999 showed that these students scored an average of 1083--67 points above the national average of 1016; similarly, the 3616 homeschooled students who took the ACT scored an average of 22.7--1.7 points above the national average of 21 (Klicka, 2002)."
Homeschooling and Higher Education : Getting Ready for College : Tweens and Teens : pregnancy and parenting on JustMommies

If this country wants to have a future we have to get real about educating our kids.

ALL our kids.

the republican party perfers GUNS and WAR to children.

If this country wants to have a future we have to get real about educating our kids.

ALL our kids.

the republican party perfers GUNS and WAR to children.

"If this country wants to have a future we have to get real about educating our kids."

Wow...you sure made a good point there!

Anyone can see the result we have with education in the hands of Liberals!

home schooled kids get alot of one on one teacher contact

then you should promote homeschooling....

and think of the $$$ we would save.....!

no matter how much you pretend not all kids can be home schooled

But all kids can be schooled in a positive teaching environment in which the teachers and parents are a unified force sharing the same values and appreciation for concepts of education. It is obvious from the studies and research I and others have posted, that the big, impersonal government school district that ignores parental values and isn't demanding excellence in education isn't getting the job done.

The private and parochial schools do much better even when class sizes are larger. But again, I am not knocking smaller class sizes as a good thing.

And homeschoolers are doing the best job of all.

Last edited:
the republican party is far more interested in giving tax dollars for WAR than they are in educating and feeding our kids

then you should promote homeschooling....

and think of the $$$ we would save.....!

no matter how much you pretend not all kids can be home schooled

But all kids can be schooled in a positive teaching environment in which the teachers and parents are a unified force sharing the same values and appreciation for concepts of education. It is obvious from the studies and research I and others have posted, that the big, impersonal government school district that ignores parental values and isn't demanding excellence in education isn't getting the job done.

The private and parochial schools do much better even when class sizes are larger.

And homeschoolers are doing the best job of all.

Becuase they can kick any kids they want to OUT of the sytstem

You on the right always vote for more money for war.

You also SCREAM when someone wants more money for education.

"Galloway (1995) concludes that homeschoolers and traditionally educated students demonstrate similar academic preparedness for college and academic achievement. And according to Rudner (1999), achievement test scores of homeschooled students are high. The students' average scores were typicality in the 70th to 80th percentile, with 25% of homeschool students enrolled one or more grades above their age-level peers in public and private schools. Christopher Klicka, Senior Counsel for the Home School Legal Defense Association, reports that homeschoolers tend to score above the national average on both the SAT and ACT, the primary tests used by colleges in evaluating college applicants. A study of 2219 students who reported their homeschooled status on the SAT in 1999 showed that these students scored an average of 1083--67 points above the national average of 1016; similarly, the 3616 homeschooled students who took the ACT scored an average of 22.7--1.7 points above the national average of 21 (Klicka, 2002)."
Homeschooling and Higher Education : Getting Ready for College : Tweens and Teens : pregnancy and parenting on JustMommies

o_O

Forum List

Back