Largest iceberg on record breaks off and heads out into the ocean.

This means penguin immigrants to South America. I wonder how fast it will float. If the penguins go fishing, will they be able to find "home" when they return, or will it have floated away?
It WILL be interesting to know how long it takes to melt.
It IS disconcerting that enough ice melted that such a huge piece of it broke loose.

Read the article and the other links. You'll calm down when you discover this is a naturally occurring event that has been happening for 1000's of years. Feel better?

From which article did you find statements indicating the event is a "naturally occurring one that has been happening for 1000s of years?" Please copy and paste the statements you feel establish that fact.

The fact of the matter is that I did read the linked article from the OP. I also read the linked article entitled "Ice shelf to Antarctica iceberg." In that article I found the following:
  • Larsen C is the third massive ice shelf that’s broken off from the Antarctic Peninsula during the past 22 years:

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

This year, sea ice around Antarctica was at its lowest level since scientists started continuously measuring it in 1979.

9-LARSEN.png

(Notice that sea ice is differently colored from ice shelf ice. Why? Because ice shelves, though they are floating, are attached to the land, whereas sea ice is not.)

On Feb. 13, in the midst of summer, Antarctic sea ice covered a total of 6.26 million square miles. That’s 790,000 square miles less than the average from 1981 to 2010 or equivalent to a chunk of ice larger than Mexico.
Within that there is nothing providing a sound basis for one to infer that the calving of chucks of ice that in total exceed the size of Mexico has been going on for thousands of years.

In that same article is found the following graphic.

5%20LARSEN.png

What is reasonable to infer from that graphic is that it took thousands of years for one-third of a mile tall/deep Delaware-sized areas of ice to form the former Larsen C ice shelf. A quick check of Antarctic average total precipitation reveals that it's about 6.5 inches. Using nothing but arithmetic, one finds that amounts to 3200+ years of precipitation, and that is clearly an underestimation of the actual years it takes because the precipitation that falls is snow and ice is compacted snow, which means it takes longer than 3200 yeas for 1760 feet of ice to result from thousands of years of 6.5 inches of freshly fallen fluffy snow.

Read the article and the other links. You'll calm down when you discover this is a naturally occurring event that has been happening for 1000's of years. Feel better?
If that were so, perhaps your buddy, Weatherman, who also doesn't know what he's talking about, perhaps would not have written the following:

That didn't take long at all.

I wrote "perhaps" because irrational, delusional and generally ignorant folks are as likely to say "A" as they are "the opposite of A."​

More importantly, were that so, the source article might not report, "Ice shelves are permanent floating sheets of ice connected to a landmass, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center." Clearly the are only as permanently attached as is the cold weather that inhibits ice melt.

Here is some comfort for you- I know you want this event to be further "evidence" (as if there is any) of AGW, BUT ITS NOT! You want a cited reference that calving is a natural process and has been going on for 1000's of years? Why don't you quote a source that says ice bergs are a new phenomenon created by AGW? Where do you think ice bergs come from? Honestly, some people have no common sense at all.

What Does the Antarctic Ice Shelf Break Really Mean?
We’ve been surprised by the level of interest in what may simply be a rare but natural occurrence. Because, despite the media and public fascination, the Larsen C rift and iceberg “calving” is not a warning of imminent sea level rise, and any link to climate change is far from straightforward. This event is, however, a spectacular episode in the recent history of Antarctica’s ice shelves, involving forces beyond the human scale, in a place where few of us have been, and one which will fundamentally change the geography of this region.

This means penguin immigrants to South America. I wonder how fast it will float. If the penguins go fishing, will they be able to find "home" when they return, or will it have floated away?
It IS disconcerting that enough ice melted that such a huge piece of it broke loose.

From which article did you find statements indicating the event is a "naturally occurring one that has been happening for 1000s of years?" Please copy and paste the statements you feel establish that fact.

The fact of the matter is that I did read the linked article from the OP. I also read the linked article entitled "Ice shelf to Antarctica iceberg." In that article I found the following:
  • Larsen C is the third massive ice shelf that’s broken off from the Antarctic Peninsula during the past 22 years:

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

This year, sea ice around Antarctica was at its lowest level since scientists started continuously measuring it in 1979.

9-LARSEN.png

(Notice that sea ice is differently colored from ice shelf ice. Why? Because ice shelves, though they are floating, are attached to the land, whereas sea ice is not.)

On Feb. 13, in the midst of summer, Antarctic sea ice covered a total of 6.26 million square miles. That’s 790,000 square miles less than the average from 1981 to 2010 or equivalent to a chunk of ice larger than Mexico.
Within that there is nothing providing a sound basis for one to infer that the calving of chucks of ice that in total exceed the size of Mexico has been going on for thousands of years.

5%20LARSEN.png

What is reasonable to infer from that graphic is that it took thousands of years for one-third of a mile tall/deep Delaware-sized areas of ice to form the former Larsen C ice shelf. A quick check of Antarctic average total precipitation reveals that it's about 6.5 inches. Using nothing but arithmetic, one finds that amounts to 3200+ years of precipitation, and that is clearly an underestimation of the actual years it takes because the precipitation that falls is snow and ice is compacted snow, which means it takes longer than 3200 yeas for 1760 feet of ice to result from thousands of years of 6.5 inches of freshly fallen fluffy snow.

If that were so, perhaps your buddy, Weatherman, who also doesn't know what he's talking about, perhaps would not have written the following:

I wrote "perhaps" because irrational, delusional and generally ignorant folks are as likely to say "A" as they are "the opposite of A."​

More importantly, were that so, the source article might not report, "Ice shelves are permanent floating sheets of ice connected to a landmass, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center." Clearly the are only as permanently attached as is the cold weather that inhibits ice melt.
Dufus thinks ice has been building up in the Antarctic for millions of years without pieces breaking off. :lmao:

Hey Einstein, how many years has mankind been exploring Antarctica?
Dufus is aware that pieces the size of city blocks, houses and skyscrapers break off and puts pieces the size of Delaware or larger -- three such pieces in the past 20-30 years -- in the same category and assigns to them and their breaking off the same relevance as that of the far smaller chunks that have indeed been breaking off and reforming for thousands, perhaps millions, of years.

Hey Xelor, um this may be hard for you to hear, but 20-30 years is like seconds in climate history. You can't extrapolate data from decades of weather to assume what the climate. will be in 100, 500 or 1000 years. I wonder how many idiots like you were running around at the biginning of the Little Ice Age convinced that the earth would continually get colder and all human kind would freeze to death in another 100 years. Perhaps your ancestors.

That's not what happens when ice bergs calve. They calve when they get too big.
Correct...

IF the glaciers were receding and not calving this would mean warming. But as we are having calving occur at an increasing rate and size it means the glaciers are growing and we are cooling... These idiots cant use cognitive thought for anything..

Funnier still is in 1955 a sheet of ice three times the size of the one that just calved was calved and floating around... so this is NOT the biggest one in recorded history
2017-07-12125238.png

2017-07-12125324.png

Too Funny... the left wing hype is shown fraud very easily... H/T to SSDD

Last edited:

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

Here is some comfort for you- I know you want this event to be further "evidence" (as if there is any) of AGW, BUT ITS NOT! You want a cited reference that calving is a natural process and has been going on for 1000's of years? Why don't you quote a source that says ice bergs are a new phenomenon created by AGW? Where do you think ice bergs come from? Honestly, some people have no common sense at all.

We’ve been surprised by the level of interest in what may simply be a rare but natural occurrence. Because, despite the media and public fascination, the Larsen C rift and iceberg “calving” is not a warning of imminent sea level rise, and any link to climate change is far from straightforward. This event is, however, a spectacular episode in the recent history of Antarctica’s ice shelves, involving forces beyond the human scale, in a place where few of us have been, and one which will fundamentally change the geography of this region.
You want a cited reference that calving is a natural process and has been going on for 1000's of years?

No. I want one that indicates calving on the scale of Larsen A, B, C (blocks the size of states), and B-15 (Ross ice shelf, 2000, just under twice the size of Larsen C) has been happening with about the same frequency that B-15 and the three Larsen calving events occurred. I know goddamned well icebergs the size of buildings to city blocks calve off all the time. One can watch building sized ones calve from glaciers in Alaska.

Joy Reid and 'Madcow' are claiming the iceberg didn't show any signs of breaking off until after the 2016 presidential election.

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

You want a cited reference that calving is a natural process and has been going on for 1000's of years?

No. I want one that indicates calving on the scale of Larsen A, B, C (blocks the size of states), and B-15 (Ross ice shelf, 2000, just under twice the size of Larsen C) has been happening with about the same frequency that B-15 and the three Larsen calving events occurred. I know goddamned well icebergs the size of buildings to city blocks calve off all the time. One can watch building sized ones calve from glaciers in Alaska.

Well considering the Extremely short period we have been able to record calving events, there is no way to know how large this one is by comparison. 10 icebergs 3 times this size could have calved off prior to this one. The first recorded sighting of Antarctic Ice Shelf wasn't until the 1800's. We have no clue what occurred before that with respect to calving. Remember, climatology is the study weather over l o n g periods of time, periods of times measured by decades and centuries. Perspective my friend, perspective.

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

Well considering the Extremely short period we have been able to record calving events, there is no way to know how large this one is by comparison. 10 icebergs 3 times this size could have calved off prior to this one. The first recorded sighting of Antarctic Ice Shelf wasn't until the 1800's. We have no clue what occurred before that with respect to calving. Remember, climatology is the study weather over l o n g periods of time, periods of times measured by decades and centuries. Perspective my friend, perspective.

The first recorded sighting of Antarctic Ice Shelf wasn't until the 1800's.

Do you think sailors making the Drake Passage would not have noticed an iceberg the size of Delaware? The passage itself is only about 200 miles wide. I can assure you they's notice a block of ice the size of Delaware and it wouldn't have to be right in front of them for them to do so.

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

Do you think sailors making the Drake Passage would not have noticed an iceberg the size of Delaware? The passage itself is only about 200 miles wide. I can assure you they's notice a block of ice the size of Delaware and it wouldn't have to be right in front of them for them to do so.

Who would have noticed one two weeks ago, Einstein?

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

Dufus thinks ice has been building up in the Antarctic for millions of years without pieces breaking off. :lmao:

Hey Einstein, how many years has mankind been exploring Antarctica?
Dufus is aware that pieces the size of city blocks, houses and skyscrapers break off and puts pieces the size of Delaware in the same category and assigns to them the same relevance.
Answer the question, dufus. How long has mankind been monitoring Antarctica 7/24?
I don't know.

Just remember that I provided a direct and unequivocal answer to your question.
Getting in a tizzy over something that has been observed for what 40 years? Not enough data to be worried about dumb ass.

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

It won't be the size of Delaware if and when it floats that far North. It will shrink and break apart. Come on, think about it, and if that doesn't work, research.
When An Antarctic Iceberg The Size Of A Country Breaks Away, What Happens Next?
What they found is that every 70 or so years the Mertz polynya is absent for tens of years. Given that the glacier is advancing about 1 km per year this means a super-iceberg tens of kilometres in length has regularly formed in this region.

These days we can see this happen in almost real time through the amazing access we have to satellite imagery and in February 2010 an iceberg containing almost 900 billion tonnes of fresh water broke free.

What Happens Next?

You may think it would drift north, away from the continent, but icebergs this big don’t have an easy path. They crash and bounce along any relatively shallow region of the sea floor and wipe out anything in their way. Most people know trawling harms the sea floor; imagine the trail of damage 900 billion tonnes of ice scraping on the sea floor can leave.

image-20150324-17709-7uxeyi.jpg

B09B collides with the Mertz Glacier Tongue, causing it to break off and form a new iceberg. NASA/Goddard/Jeff Schmaltz

Very large icebergs get identifying codes; this one became C28 as it was the 28th large iceberg from this sector of Antarctica. It took two months for C28 to reach the deep water before it shattered into two pieces (C28A and C28B since you ask) both still massive, and both went on to spawn further icebergs as they fractured into ever smaller pieces over the next few years.

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

Anyone who saw a chunk of ice the size of Delaware floating free in the water would have noticed it.

Anyone who saw a chunk of ice the size of Delaware floating free in the water would have noticed it.

You can't see the iceberg from the course he took, dufus.

Why do the left hate science?

7-Larsen-A-B-C.png

9-LARSEN.png

5%20LARSEN.png

It won't be the size of Delaware if and when it floats that far North. It will shrink and break apart. Come on, think about it, and if that doesn't work, research.
When An Antarctic Iceberg The Size Of A Country Breaks Away, What Happens Next?
What they found is that every 70 or so years the Mertz polynya is absent for tens of years. Given that the glacier is advancing about 1 km per year this means a super-iceberg tens of kilometres in length has regularly formed in this region.

These days we can see this happen in almost real time through the amazing access we have to satellite imagery and in February 2010 an iceberg containing almost 900 billion tonnes of fresh water broke free.

What Happens Next?

You may think it would drift north, away from the continent, but icebergs this big don’t have an easy path. They crash and bounce along any relatively shallow region of the sea floor and wipe out anything in their way. Most people know trawling harms the sea floor; imagine the trail of damage 900 billion tonnes of ice scraping on the sea floor can leave.

image-20150324-17709-7uxeyi.jpg

B09B collides with the Mertz Glacier Tongue, causing it to break off and form a new iceberg. NASA/Goddard/Jeff Schmaltz

Very large icebergs get identifying codes; this one became C28 as it was the 28th large iceberg from this sector of Antarctica. It took two months for C28 to reach the deep water before it shattered into two pieces (C28A and C28B since you ask) both still massive, and both went on to spawn further icebergs as they fractured into ever smaller pieces over the next few years.

It won't be the size of Delaware if and when it floats that far North.
Just how far north do you think the thing has to go? The Larsen A, B and C 'bergs that calved off the Larsen Ice Shelf were in the mid-sixties before they broke off.

74455-004-484975B9.gif

map.jpg

CoralLoc1smHG2LG.jpg

74455-004-484975B9.gif

Calculate how far away an object 200 meters into the air can be for one to see it on the ocean while standing in the "crows nest" some 150-200 feet (my guess based on knowing that the main mast on my boat, which is considerably smaller than the Golden Hind, is reaches 70 feet) above sea level.

slide_13.jpg

2goldhinde.jpg

Last edited:

map.jpg

CoralLoc1smHG2LG.jpg

74455-004-484975B9.gif

The anti science left think the world is flat and people can see something 600 miles away while sitting on the ocean.

Sad.

Maybe Drake picked it up on radar?

Oh wait, even today's ships don't have that kind of radar range.

map.jpg

CoralLoc1smHG2LG.jpg

74455-004-484975B9.gif
The anti science left think the world is flat and people can see something 600 miles away while sitting on the ocean.

Sad.

The Drake Passage isn't 600 miles wide. How wide it is isn't the point. The point is that if there is an iceberg floating free in it and one sails somewhat distantly from it, one will see it. If one doesn't see it, one doesn't, but if it's there one will notice it.

stock-antarctic-ice-shelf-420x280.jpg

Last edited:

map.jpg

CoralLoc1smHG2LG.jpg

74455-004-484975B9.gif

Sad.

The Drake Passage isn't 600 miles wide. How wide it is isn't the point. The point is that if there is an iceberg floating free in it and one sails somewhat distantly from it, one will see it. If one doesn't see it, one doesn't, but if it's there one will notice it.

Drake Passage, deep waterway, 600 miles (1,000 km) wide, connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans between Cape Horn (the southernmost point of South America) and the South Shetland Islands, situated about 100 miles (160 km) north of the Antarctic Peninsula.
Drake Passage | waterway, South America | Britannica.com

Science disrupts their narrative.

map.jpg

CoralLoc1smHG2LG.jpg

74455-004-484975B9.gif

Calculate how far away an object 200 meters into the air can be for one to see it on the ocean while standing in the "crows nest" some 150-200 feet (my guess based on knowing that the main mast on my boat, which is considerably smaller than the Golden Hind, is reaches 70 feet) above sea level.

slide_13.jpg

2goldhinde.jpg

Dude, you are clueless. Save your theoretical calculations and deal with 3 doses of reality-

Reality 1-

International waters are 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from shore. This is largely because when on a ship (or about the same vantage point above the surface on shore), you can see a ship breach the horizon at about the 12 mile mark. (Both you and the ship are above sea level/horizon.) Boat captains say, on average, you can see ships on the horizon or land at about 12 miles. Of course that assumes clear skies and no fog.

Reality 2-

Ice bergs get smaller as they move away from the ice shelf, and they break into pieces. There is no chance that a large ice berg would stay intact until it became visible from a ship passing thru the passage.

Reality 3-
The path of the ice berg can not be predicted, but if it follows the path of other calved bergs, it won't be passing thru Drakes Passage. Boats travel the passage generally would not want to go farther south than necessary. Sorry, you lost Big with this one.

IMG_0560.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0561.GIF
    IMG_0561.GIF
    37.2 KB · Views: 55

map.jpg

CoralLoc1smHG2LG.jpg

74455-004-484975B9.gif

Sad.

Drake Passage, deep waterway, 600 miles (1,000 km) wide, connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans between Cape Horn (the southernmost point of South America) and the South Shetland Islands, situated about 100 miles (160 km) north of the Antarctic Peninsula.
Drake Passage | waterway, South America | Britannica.com
My mistake. I had in mind the width of the Straits of Magellan and confused the two distances.

My mistake notwithstanding, "until 2010, the largest iceberg in the Northern Hemisphere was seen near Baffin Island, Nunavut, in 1882. It was 8 miles long, 3.7 miles wide and 64 feet high." It stands to reason that were, as you suggest, calvings of roughly Delaware sized (Larsen C is ~4200 square miles) icebergs a routine thing that's been happening for thousands of years, humanity almost certainly would have prior to or after 1882 come by more than just one ~32 square mile iceberg.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back