Looks like Hurricane Milton is gonna be huge...Now a Cat 4

So, I’ve never lived through a natural disaster worse than a blizzard, but since this hurricane isn’t going to hit Florida until Thursday, I have to wonder why Pantone there won’t have evacuated by then, or at least prepared better?

How can one not at least have stockpiled on water and food and medicine? How could anyone not be prepared with this much advance warning?

Genuinely curious

We both know that Hurricanes are often unpredictable.

Or do you think they are?
They are unpredictable to a certain degree, it could track upwards towards northern Florida, it is not likely though, according to predictions. It's not following Helene's path.

But you're right, it is very hard to predict the weather these days, the intensity and frequency of storms are all very unpredictable.

So, I’ve never lived through a natural disaster worse than a blizzard, but since this hurricane isn’t going to hit Florida until Thursday, I have to wonder why Pantone there won’t have evacuated by then, or at least prepared better?

How can one not at least have stockpiled on water and food and medicine? How could anyone not be prepared with this much advance warning?

Genuinely curious
I've always wondered why people don't move their expensive boats away from the storm. You can't move your house, but you can move your boat.

Lee County, FL....Mandatory evacuation order for Zones A and B just went up.

OIP.1Huo6FTeTSEZXBl-4msf9wHaFj

They are unpredictable to a certain degree, it could track upwards towards northern Florida, it is not likely though, according to predictions. It's not following Helene's path.

But you're right, it is very hard to predict the weather these days, the intensity and frequency of storms are all very unpredictable.
I do know that if you burn a lot of the vegetation in a large area it causes climate change. Ask anyone who's been to Africa about this. I've been there. It's mostly dry climate with sparse vegetation. Part of the reason is they haven't controlled deforestation.

Brazil was being burned for years. Then CA over the last several years and last year even in Canada. Maui found out what happens when you burn a large enough area where there's moist air. Everything in CA is drying up.

Seems to be a lot of train derailments and chemical fires going off periodically all over Ohio and a few other states.

So it seems we have caused changes in the weather, but it's not coming from our AC.

It proves the gov't. tries to control weather, genius.
A) operation Popeye didn’t work

B) creating and controlling a hurricane is a tad more complicated than shooting some saltpeter or whatever into clouds to make it rain more

C) what possible motive would the government have for creating Helene and Milton in the first place, even if they could?

Again, anyone who thinks these hurricanes could’ve been created by the government is an idiot

Just stop.

There's people alive watching the approach of Milton who will be dead on Thursday so show some class.
Not to sound callous, but I still wonder why anyone would stay with this much advance warning

I get some people have limited income, but I really don’t get how or why anyone would stay behind with nearly a week’s warning

Not to sound callous, but I still wonder why anyone would stay with this much advance warning

I get some people have limited income, but I really don’t get how or why anyone would stay behind with nearly a week’s warning
You have seen some of the idiocy on this board, I saw you reply to some of them. Consider it a microcosm of human intelligence, or lack thereof.

You have seen some of the idiocy on this board, I saw you reply to some of them. Consider it a microcosm of human intelligence, or lack thereof.
It just always surprises me how so many people always seem to be caught off guard by these things.

I mean, really, it didn’t even occur to you to stock up on bottled water and canned food or to be ready to go a couple weeks without power?

Let alone maybe just get the hell away from the coast

Usually these storms start in the Atlantic coming from Africa and then move into the Caribbean.

Now they're appearing out of thin-air in the Gulf.

Last month meteorologists said this was the most quiet weather-wise they've seen in 50 years. All of the sudden right before the election we've had 2 major hurricanes wiping out areas full of Trump voters. Democrats are saying that Trump voters won't have things set up in time to vote in November.

My, what a coincidence. 2020 we had COVID. This year we've had hurricanes.

A real poser.
Except that both Helene and Milton first formed as tropical disturbances first noted in the Western Caribbean, not the Gulf. And that is quite common. I generally have Fox Business News weather or the Weather Channel on early mornings and both observed the appearance of and were tracking tropical disturbances that evolved into Helene and now Milton. So while we have observed that the Democrats have no ethics or conscience and will pull any dirty trick in the book to get what they want, I don't think there is justification for accusing them of increasing or enhancing hurricanes. It's just unusual for two strong hurricanes to hit the same area in such a short time.

Pray for Florida.

It just always surprises me how so many people always seem to be caught off guard by these things.

I mean, really, it didn’t even occur to you to stock up on bottled water and canned food or to be ready to go a couple weeks without power?

Let alone maybe just get the hell away from the coast
I know what you are saying. Most of it is idiocy, but at least a small portion of it is "I am so important nothing will happen to me" .
In this particular case, I don't see any reason to stay in that part of Florida.

Five models peaking at a cat 5. Eight or nine more as a cat 4. Harder to read estimated intensity on landfall, but the consensus appears to be that it strikes as a high 3, low 4.

There's basically no more disagreement that the strike will be on Tampa Bay - the only question is whether it makes landfall north or south of the mouth.

This is virtually guaranteed to rival Katrina for damage and long term population displacement. There's no part of the state that has such a large population, who are so poorly prepared for a hurricane.

As of last night, one of the major LE agencies in the area still hasn't even emailed their staff to say "there's a hurricane incoming and we have plans". Disaster response across TB has been lacking for years, because until Helene there hadn't been any real damage to speak of in decades.

-
FL ARFCOM member

This member has proven accurate on FL bound hurricanes over the years.

Hopefully shear from the north will knock it down a bit to a strong cat 3 at landfall but folks in the Tampa/Clearwater areas are already getting out.

BTW.....Yeah, a "dupe" but due to the explosion of overnight strengthening I thought it worthy of it's own thread.

It's at 155 mph gusts now.

157 or higher is category 5.

STAY ON TOPIC!
This thread is not about any other hurricane but Milton!

Forum List

Back