🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mormon Church finally admits Joseph Smith had 40 wives

Here is another chance for the Mormon Church to go legit. Joseph Smith was , at best, a crazy prophet a la John the Baptist (locusts and wild honey). Like many messengers, he got a lot of the details wrong. Recognize him for what he was (and wasn't), and bring the Church back to Christianity. It has much to offer.

Here is another chance for the Mormon Church to go legit. Joseph Smith was , at best, a crazy prophet a la John the Baptist (locusts and wild honey). Like all messengers, he got many of the details wrong. Recognize him for what he was (and wasn't), and bring the Church back to Christianity. You have a lot to offer.

Not a chance. The entire foundation of the church is based on an obvious fairy tale.

I wonder how many other similarities Islam and Mormonism share. . .
In fact all most all his other wives never had sex with him.

Nope. Not true, according to the essays released today.

Also, one of them was 14 years old, which would put him in the category of a child abuser, at best. Also, many were married to other men, as well, which makes him a bigamist.

But, the real fault was not so much with Smith. It was his followers that made him a god.
You understand that in the 1800's that men and women were married as young as 14 all the time right?

The article said it was less than 4% for girls under 16 getting married.

The Mormons are too far from Chistianity to "return" to Chistianity, in the way a Protestant could convert to Catholicism, or vice versa.

Mormons have an entire set of beliefs that is so far removed from Christianity that you can't call Mormonism a Christian religion.

For a Mormon to convert to Christianity, he would have to unlearn almost everything he believes in, including the concept that there are many gods, not just one, and our God has a wife.

It would probably be easier to convert a Muslim or a Jew to Christianity than a Mormon, because Jews and Muslims are at least on the same page -- monotheism.

Also, one of them was 14 years old, which would put him in the category of a child abuser, at best. Also, many were married to other men, as well, which makes him a bigamist.

But, the real fault was not so much with Smith. It was his followers that made him a god.
You understand that in the 1800's that men and women were married as young as 14 all the time right?
Are you saying that just because in the 1800's adult men married young female children that makes it right?
In the early 1800's women were 14 and got married regularly. They were not considered children.

And yet 4 percent proves they got married at that age doesn't it?

The guy that they put in the slammer about 3 years ago who was heading up the fundamentalist Mormon branch down in Southern Utah was doing exactly what Smith was doing in the 1800's. The difference is that in the 1800's, people didn't treat them with kid gloves. Instead of putting Smith in the slammer, they killed him.

My Dad is high up in the Mormon Church and attends Temple in the So Cal area with his wife. I think he calls himself a "High Priest"? They believe in Mormon Jesus and his brother Lucifer. They believe they're gonna' become Gods and have endless Celestial Sex and populate the Earth with their offspring.

I showed this to my Dad a few years ago and he said this is what many in the Church still believe:

I'd sooner convert to Islam, and that's NEVER gonna' happen.

I made a thread on Mormonism a few days ago.

The Mormons have a good rep because they dress nice, obey the law, and their kids are well-behaved and clean cut.

But I would like to know what Mormons do to ENFORCE this strict adherence to this "Leave it to Beaver" image.

There must be a dark side to it.

And yet 4 percent proves they got married at that age doesn't it?

4% is not regularly, and you know it. Your own LDS article says so.

JS was immoral when it came to sexuality.

That is his problem, not yours.

The Mormons have a good rep because they dress nice, obey the law, and their kids are well-behaved and clean cut.

But I would like to know what Mormons do to ENFORCE this strict adherence to this "Leave it to Beaver" image.

There must be a dark side to it.

I live in Mormonville, beaver. As my Southern Baptist neighbors used to say, would rather have Mormons for neighbors than Baptists.

The guy that they put in the slammer about 3 years ago who was heading up the fundamentalist Mormon branch down in Southern Utah was doing exactly what Smith was doing in the 1800's. The difference is that in the 1800's, people didn't treat them with kid gloves. Instead of putting Smith in the slammer, they killed him.
So if I took the bible the Catholics used , called my priests the same thing as catholic but taught entirely different doctrine and faith would that make me a catholic even if i claimed I was?

Are you saying that just because in the 1800's adult men married young female children that makes it right?
In the early 1800's women were 14 and got married regularly. They were not considered children.

I think you are missing the point: 1800 AD was not 1800 BC. Joseph Smith was assembling a concubine under the guise of spiritual guidance. If "plural marriage" was a commandment then, how can it be a sin now? If modern day elders can do away with the proscription against black "priests" and other absurdities, why can't they convene a "Council of Nicaea" and reorganize/edit the Book of Mormon as a credible addition to the Bible?

I think you are missing the point: 1800 AD was not 1800 BC. Joseph Smith was assembling a concubine under the guise of spiritual guidance. If "plural marriage" was a commandment then, how can it be a sin now? If modern day elders can do away with the proscription against black "priests" and other absurdities, why can't they convene a "Council of Nicaea" and reorganize/edit the Book of Mormon as an addition to the Bible?
God so ordered it. The reason and the order are in the History of the Church. You claim to know so much learn it.

I think you are missing the point: 1800 AD was not 1800 BC. Joseph Smith was assembling a concubine under the guise of spiritual guidance. If "plural marriage" was a commandment then, how can it be a sin now? If modern day elders can do away with the proscription against black "priests" and other absurdities, why can't they convene a "Council of Nicaea" and reorganize/edit the Book of Mormon as an addition to the Bible?
God so ordered it. The reason and the order are in the History of the Church. You claim to know so much learn it.

God so ordered what? To whom? When?

I respect no religion, but people who choose to be Mormon are especially unfit for politics.

If you can't tell that Joseph Smith was a conman, a crime he was actually found guilty of, then you lack even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

All the Book of Mormon nonsense aside, my real problem with the Mormons is that, like the Catholics, they have a "top down" organization. Protestants have a big say in how their church is run. Mormons have absolutely NO say in how their church is run. Either tow the line, or don't let the door slam on your ass....

amazing. The new York times is so incompetent that they missed the last 150+ years of history.

did they ever bother checking out the family search site the church has run for decades? The one that shows Joseph smiths marriages?

They left out the decades of racism.

So if I took the bible the Catholics used , called my priests the same thing as catholic but taught entirely different doctrine and faith would that make me a catholic even if i claimed I was?

No the FLDS were not neo-Joseph Smithites. Now I know Vandal has no idea of what about he is talking.

Having attended many denominations over the years as a friend and in good community interest, the fact is simple that Mormons are better Christians as a group than any other sect, maybe excepting the Pentecostals, who are just the weirdest.

And the atheists are the ultimate cowards, bar none.

Forum List

Back