Powers of pardon need to be restricted.

It is something that is a giant anachronism to our system. I’ve never understood why it is there to start with.

Good post.

To stop the evil prosecutions of citizens on fake charges..... It is a check on the power of the government to unjustly target citizens.....

seems to me that those being pardoned by TRUMP are good guys [see DeSouza]. At least the ones i have heard about . And speculation on Manafort and Flynn , also good guys as far as i know . Yeah though , mrobama did let a lot of common drug criminals back out on the street so i guess that Americans gotta put up with the good and the bad . I mean , if not The TRUMP , who gets to make the decisions , eh ??

and bill "the rapist" clinton pardoned criminals who were giving him money, or helped hilary get her senate seat....while Trump is pardoning people who were attacked by left wing activists....

Governors & presidents too often get carried away with this crap. Trump seems to be no different.

Real Presidents wait until the end of their term...in most cases. trump hands pardons out like candy.

Everyone knows that he is sending a message to Manafort...Cohen....Flynn and others that committed criminal collusion with Moscow.

trump is a Leach on the US.

It is something that is a giant anachronism to our system. I’ve never understood why it is there to start with.

Good post.

It is part of the checks and balances system, giving the executive an override of both the judiciary and the legislature in specific instances.

Before trying to get rid of it, first people should try to see what would happen if it was removed.

It would make the Judiciary supreme over the executive in all situations.
....they already have checks and balances with the judges and appeals that can override juries

Governors & presidents too often get carried away with this crap. Trump seems to be no different.

Real Presidents wait until the end of their term...in most cases. trump hands pardons out like candy.

Everyone knows that he is sending a message to Manafort...Cohen....Flynn and others that committed criminal collusion with Moscow.

Ya know…it does uncover an interesting scenario

Lets say for the sake of argument that Trump is clean….knows he is clean and he did nothing wrong.

In other words, lets pretend that Trump is innocent (as hard as that may be) and that he is the little angel that his enablers say he is and that all of this is some sort of vendetta against poor old donald…

Why not issue a blanket pardon to former director Mueller, giving him license to violate any federal law to uncover dirt that Trump knows isn’t there…

That would send a message that he’s not afraid. Of course it would never get used, Mueller wouldn’t break the law but it would show how unworried he is about the investigation instead of the smear campaign, the lies, the shading of the truth, the sleaze, the rationalizations….

Lets say for the sake of argument that Trump is clean….knows he is clean and he did nothing wrong.

In other words, lets pretend that Trump is innocent (as hard as that may be) and that he is the little angel that his enablers say he is and that all of this is some sort of vendetta against poor old donald…

Why not issue a blanket pardon to former director Mueller, giving him license to violate any federal law to uncover dirt that Trump knows isn’t there…

That would send a message that he’s not afraid. Of course it would never get used, Mueller wouldn’t break the law but it would show how unworried he is about the investigation instead of the smear campaign, the lies, the shading of the truth, the sleaze, the rationalizations….
so he's guilty until proven innocent?

But I don't really know how it's possible, and I don't know that it would be consistent. The power of the pardon is itself a check and balance. At least, that's the way it was intended, in my humble opinion. If the legislature gets something wrong, and the courts get it wrong, (i.e. they are correct legally but the end result is somehow unjust because of special circumstances or due to imperfections with man made laws, etc) then the Executive may grant a pardon if necessary and appropriate.

How would you propose pardoning powers be limited to achieve your objectives, but without reducing the ability to be wielded as intended and necessary?
I dunno. Include so kind of mitigating factors as a requirement for eligibility. It's all well above my pay grade.

We're not talking Obama here now.
Obama was pardoning terrorists and criminals because he felt that the laws they broke shouldn't be followed.
Trump is trying to right the wrongs that seem to be going on.
I'm sure in Obama's warped mind he feels he's righting wrongs as well.
Being a traitor is acceptable to Obama.
Blowing up cops is acceptable to Obama.
Human-trafficking and drug-trafficking is acceptable to Obama.
Trump feels that throwing someone in jail for criticizing Obama is wrong.

Trump? That is my opinion that he’s guilty.

The investigation continues.

We're not talking Obama here now.
Obama was pardoning terrorists and criminals because he felt that the laws they broke shouldn't be followed.
Trump is trying to right the wrongs that seem to be going on.
I'm sure in Obama's warped mind he feels he's righting wrongs as well.
Being a traitor is acceptable to Obama.
Blowing up cops is acceptable to Obama.
Human-trafficking and drug-trafficking is acceptable to Obama.
Trump feels that throwing someone in jail for criticizing Obama is wrong.

You should team with Roseanne and go on tour with your comedic material. It’s actually better than Roseanne's

Good post.

It is part of the checks and balances system, giving the executive an override of both the judiciary and the legislature in specific instances.

Before trying to get rid of it, first people should try to see what would happen if it was removed.

The executive check on the judiciary already exist in the Presidential power to nominated judges.
Not really.

Good post.

The executive check on the judiciary already exist in the Presidential power to nominated judges.

but after they are on the bench??

$12 million dollars in direct costs.....untold amounts of wasted resources and expense.....and they still have no evidence of any Russian Collusion.
As long as the investigation continues you libs figure there's something to it.
But the moment it ends all of your hopes and dreams go up in smoke.

So what we have is an investigation that was started illegally over no crime according to federal statutes.....and all of it is only intended to keep guilty parties (Hillary and Obama and their administration) from being indicted for treason and espionage, as well as a long list of other crimes against the Constitution.

Actually Trump is trying to correct a wrong.
I think talking about pardoning Martha Stewart was possibly a rub at Hillary.

Per the norm...you are incorrect. Trump is the first "real" President this
country has had in a long time. These so-called former "real Presidents"
did wait until they didn't have to face reelection again. That makes them
a phony not real.

He reviews as he goes. If he sees something he didn't like, he cuts them
loose. That's the way it should be.

So he is guilty and the investigation is just a show???

That's how banana repulics work.

of what?

Forum List

Back