President Trum probably does have the power to pardon himself

I can't see congress putting up with any president establishing the precedent that he has such absolute power.

They already have, maobama said he didn't have the constitutional authority to do DACA 23 times. Yet he did it and congress didn't do shit.

Comparing executive orders and presidential pardons is like comparing apples to oranges. GOP could have easily taken Obama's DACA order to court but they were divided and didn't want to touch the issue with a 10 foot pole. Compare it to how Democrats were more united and took Trump's far more legal travel ban to court. Eventually it took a group of states giving Trump an ultimatum to end DACA by threatening lawsuit on a certain date which I don't recall.

The States have filed the suit because of activist judges interference, it will be stricken just like DAPA was. Maybe easier, because the DOJ won't defend it.

Yes, we should just ignore the fact that we have a mentally incompetent idiot in the Oval Office.

This is why the world is laughing at us (US). You RWNJ's are making the entire country look like a bunch of uneducated backwoods banjo picking cousin marrying toothless knuckle dragging rednecks.

This is the main reason we need to get rid of the electoral college. Why do stupid people have their vote counted 2, 3 or 4 times when they can't count past 20 without taking off their shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The one man...one vote concept is a falisy....as long as the EC is around.

I agree! The EC is as obsolete as the 2nd Amendment. Both are fossils of the past.
Guns are not your enemy. Get use to it.

No, they aren't. I cherish mine. The enemy is the NRA gun nutters who are afraid of responsible and sensible gun controls.

You think "responsible and sensible gun controls" means any gun controls our oppressive government wants to impose, Pocahontas.

How's trusting our government worked out for Indians? I don't mean you, I mean real ones ...

You really are as dumb as they come...aren't you?

I agree! The EC is as obsolete as the 2nd Amendment. Both are fossils of the past.

No, they aren't. I cherish mine. The enemy is the NRA gun nutters who are afraid of responsible and sensible gun controls.

You think "responsible and sensible gun controls" means any gun controls our oppressive government wants to impose, Pocahontas.

How's trusting our government worked out for Indians? I don't mean you, I mean real ones ...

The content of your post contradicts the point in your post

Sorry....no pictures...maybe next time.

Last time you showed me pictures, they were all of your navel, so pass

Yes, we should just ignore the fact that we have a mentally incompetent idiot in the Oval Office.

This is why the world is laughing at us (US). You RWNJ's are making the entire country look like a bunch of uneducated backwoods banjo picking cousin marrying toothless knuckle dragging rednecks.

This is the main reason we need to get rid of the electoral college. Why do stupid people have their vote counted 2, 3 or 4 times when they can't count past 20 without taking off their shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Great, see Article 5, see if you can sell that to 38 States.

Trump 'could pardon himself but won't'

"
Trump 'could pardon himself over Russia but won't', says Giuliani"

Giuliani has claimed that Trump thinks he can pardon himself. Coming from a lawyer, this is a little bemusing.

Firstly because Trump, as president, could only be impeached.

If he were impeached, he'd no longer be president. If he were tried in a court of law, he'd not be president, if he were found guilty, he's still not be president, and not being president means he can't pardon himself.

No, the claim is that Trump can pardon himself now, for any future crimes he may be charged with.

It's uncharted waters but leaves one scratching their head why he would even suggest something so ludicrous?

It's an interesting theory, I don't see it happening though. As far a obstruction goes, the only way I can see a president could be charged for obstruction, after impeachment and removal or resignation, would be for destruction of evidence. It won't fly if he simply exercises his Article 2 authority to direct federal law enforcement the way he sees fit. Nixon could have been charged for obstruction after he resigned, for destruction of evidence.

Authority or no directing the closure of a federal investigation into himself is obstructing justice. It's the intent that matters.

How many times do you have to be told, the president is NOT a TARGET of the investigation. He can legally direct the DOJ to do any damn thing he wants. All federal law enforcement authority is derived from him.

You just keep on believing that.......

Feel free to show me in the Constitution where anyone else is charged with enforcing federal law. The DOJ didn't even exist till 1870.

President Trump 'probably does' have the power to pardon himself: Giuliani
In an interview Sunday with ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," Rudy Giuliani discussed special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of whether the president may have tried to obstruct justice in the probe of Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

omg the Trump haters are going to be in a real rabid dog motion today all these things coming out about the most hated human in their book.
Funny how these same hypocrites preach love and tolerance yet they are the same pukes who spit on ppl, and attack others who support Trump they prove who the liars are in society.
Pardoning yourself tells us three things: Trump is guilty for one, of obstructing justice and conspiring against the U.S., while having Giuliani entertain the idea that he could be pardoned. Two, we know this, because now Giuliani and Trump are peddling the idea that Trump cannot be indicted or subpoeaned by Mueller, while bracing for bad news in this investigation. They wouldn't be entertaining that notion if they knew Trump wasn't guilty. Remember when Trump said there was no collusion or obstruction? We'll, there was, and there is. And third, it tells us that Giuliani and Trump believe Trump is above the law. Can any man show me in the Constitution where anyone is above the law.

And by the way, your pitiful excuses about everyone is picking on Trump. :puke: Save it. The truth has been revealed about Trump, his criminal congress, and his complicit base. No one wants to hear your sad stories about proven liars and criminals.

You yourself would have never created this thread had you not known he was guilty.
what law has trump broken?

I wondered how long it was going to be before some sheep posted this up.
Trump loves to get the left-wing media riled up, it is quite obviously a form of entertainment...they are so easy, and so are people like those here.

President's lawyers are pre-gaming for an impeachment back IN JANUARY and THIS is where your head is at when you learn about it? Someone riling up?

facepalm.jpg

LOL,...top Democrats were scheming for an impeachment the day he was elected.

Yep, Democrats like Comey, Mueller, Rosenstein :rolleyes:

You fools are out on the moon.

It's an interesting theory, I don't see it happening though. As far a obstruction goes, the only way I can see a president could be charged for obstruction, after impeachment and removal or resignation, would be for destruction of evidence. It won't fly if he simply exercises his Article 2 authority to direct federal law enforcement the way he sees fit. Nixon could have been charged for obstruction after he resigned, for destruction of evidence.

Authority or no directing the closure of a federal investigation into himself is obstructing justice. It's the intent that matters.

How many times do you have to be told, the president is NOT a TARGET of the investigation. He can legally direct the DOJ to do any damn thing he wants. All federal law enforcement authority is derived from him.

Feel free to show me in the Constitution where anyone else is charged with enforcing federal law. The DOJ didn't even exist till 1870.

You are arguing something I didn't say.

Last time you showed me pictures, they were all of your navel, so pass

Try to overcome you gay fantasies...

In an interview Sunday with ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," Rudy Giuliani discussed special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of whether the president may have tried to obstruct justice in the probe of Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

omg the Trump haters are going to be in a real rabid dog motion today all these things coming out about the most hated human in their book.
Funny how these same hypocrites preach love and tolerance yet they are the same pukes who spit on ppl, and attack others who support Trump they prove who the liars are in society.
Pardoning yourself tells us three things: Trump is guilty for one, of obstructing justice and conspiring against the U.S., while having Giuliani entertain the idea that he could be pardoned. Two, we know this, because now Giuliani and Trump are peddling the idea that Trump cannot be indicted or subpoeaned by Mueller, while bracing for bad news in this investigation. They wouldn't be entertaining that notion if they knew Trump wasn't guilty. Remember when Trump said there was no collusion or obstruction? We'll, there was, and there is. And third, it tells us that Giuliani and Trump believe Trump is above the law. Can any man show me in the Constitution where anyone is above the law.

And by the way, your pitiful excuses about everyone is picking on Trump. :puke: Save it. The truth has been revealed about Trump, his criminal congress, and his complicit base. No one wants to hear your sad stories about proven liars and criminals.

You yourself would have never created this thread had you not known he was guilty.

They don't know. All they have is commie bullshit and speculation. Republicans are always guilty until they can prove themselves innocent.

Maybe when trump gets to Singapore...Kim will tell him...."I killed people and pardoned myself. You can too!"

They don't know. All they have is commie bullshit and speculation. Republicans are always guilty until they can prove themselves innocent.

Or pardon themselves....

Someone brought up earlier in the thread that if Trump were impeached, he'd no longer be president, and would not be able to give himself a pardon.

However..................Pence could pardon Trump if he's kicked out of office, but I don't really think that Pence would be interested in doing that because it would be political suicide.

I will, because it's true.

Yeah, and Chuck Grassly told Trump today if he believes that he needs to hire another lawyer.

No Trump can't pardon himself, and yes he can be subpoenaed.

One, in the Nixon case, in the early ’70s, the supreme court said there is no executive privilege that would protect documents that have been subpoenaed from the president. Many years later, in the Clinton V Jones case, the court said that a president susceptible to being deposed in a case. Neither of those precisely answers the question, but it gives us insight into how a court may think about it. My guess is you can subpoena a president. The president must answer the questions of the grand jury.

The reason why Giuliani’s belief that Trump can pardon himself is akin to self-impeachment is that a pardon has to come with an admission of guilt. If Trump pardons himself, he is admitting that he is guilty. A pardon would only spare Trump from federal prosecution, but with a self-admission of guilt, there would be nothing stopping Congress from impeaching him. A pardon does not stop the impeachment process.

Someone brought up earlier in the thread that if Trump were impeached, he'd no longer be president, and would not be able to give himself a pardon.

However..................Pence could pardon Trump if he's kicked out of office, but I don't really think that Pence would be interested in doing that because it would be political suicide.

No...he would have to be removed from office. Impeachment does not remove him from being president.

I think this is going to turn out bad for trump....his family ....and the country. I think it will be a surprise ending that none of us ever dreamed of.

Forum List

Back