Real Christianity vs Modern Christianity

Take the Exodus. Great story, but not a single shred of evidence that it ever happened. There are no records by the Egyptians (who were pretty decent record keepers) that they ever even enslaved the Jews to begin with. In fact there is only one engraving in the entire collection of ancient Egyptian writing that even mentions the Jews and it has nothing to do with the Exodus or slavery.

Thousands of people wandering around in the desert for years on end...you would think they would have left behind some pots or some trash or maybe even some sandals...but there's nothing. No archaeological evidence of that kind of migration at all. There is no reference to the Exodus in any other ancient historical writing. In fact the only place that talks about the Exodus is in the Book of Exodus.

Whatever. Keep believing that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K-eSRcr9CWw]Revealing God's Treasure - Mt. Sinai - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bmU_TyITtoc]Ron Wyatt Archaeology - The Exodus - Audio Cleaned & Video Stabilized - 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

I mean dude are you serious? I gave you two clear examples of where the Bible has been changed and believe me I can give a lot more. It's one thing to have faith but it's quite another to blindly accept as gospel what a translator has to say about a given topic. There are so many embellishments in modern English versions of the Bible that reading it that way is almost impossible to grasp. Read it in Greek, read it in Aramaic, read it in Hebrew...you will read a VERY different book than what is written in English.

Actually, you didn't give any examples of the Bible being changed because the Bible didn't exist until after those changes were made, and modern scholarship has pointed out the discrepancies to the earliest manuscripts.

That said, I find it interesting that you declare that John 8 was definitively not part of the Bible when there is actual evidence for the story in other writings, and that there are at least two versions of the story that survive in various manuscripts. Perhaps you just like to think you understand what you are talking about, and don't actually research all the evidence, you just find the stuff that supports your bias and ignore the contradictory evidence because it is easier than actually thinking.

uh huh.

"The evidence for the non-Johannine origin of the pericope of the adulteress is overwhelming. It is absent from such early and diverse manuscripts as Papyrus66.75 Aleph B L N T W X Y D Q Y 0141 0211 22 33 124 157 209 788 828 1230 1241 1242 1253 2193 al. Codices A and C are defective in this part of John, but it is highly probable that neither contained the pericope, for careful measurement discloses that there would not have been space enough on the missing leaves to include the section along with the rest of the text. In the East the passage is absent from the oldest form of the Syriac version (syrc.s. and the best manuscripts of syrp), as well as from the Sahidic and the sub-Achmimic versions and the older Bohairic manuscripts. Some Armenian manuscripts and the old Georgian version omit it. In the West the passage is absent from the Gothic version and from several Old Latin manuscripts (ita.l*.q). No Greek Church Father prior to Euthymius Zigabenus (twelfth century) comments on the passage, and Euthymius declares that the accurate copies of the Gospels do not contain it."

"At the same time the account has all the earmarks of historical veracity. It is obviously a piece of oral tradition which circulated in certain parts of the Western church and which was subsequently incorporated into various manuscripts at various places. Most copyists apparently thought that it would interrupt John's narrative least if it were inserted after 7.52 (D E F G H K M U G P 28 700 892 al). Others placed it after 7.36 (ms. 225) or after 7.44 (several Georgian mss.) or after 21.25 (1 565 1076 1570 1582 armmss) or after Luke 21.38 (f13). Significantly enough, in many of the witnesses which contain the passage it is marked with asterisks or obeli, indicating that, though the scribes included the account, they were aware that it lacked satisfactory credentials."

Bruce Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (Stuttgart, 1971), pages 219-221.

The Story of the Adulteress

"Many modern translation include notes like this one (NIV).

"The earliest manuscripts and many other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53—8:11. A few manuscripts include these verses, wholly or in part, after John 7:36, John 21:25, Luke 21:38 or Luke 24:53."

And some translations print the entire passage in italics to indicate that it is most probably not an original passage."

Was 'Jesus and the woman taken in adultery' in St. John a later addition, and does this invalidate infallibility? - Christianity Stack Exchange

In the story in the gospel of John, Jesus with the adulterous woman was
not found in the most reliable sources such as Codex Sinaiticus and Codex
Vaticanus...The problem is that it is the three which do not include John
8:1-11 are the earliest and most reliable."

The story of the woman caught in adultery (John 8) is not in the Codex Sinaiticus. How does this relate to biblical infallability? | Evidence for Christianity

(yawn)

I mentioned this book before:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pericope-Adulterae-John-External-Evidence-ebook/dp/B00JL6JDHA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1405306531&sr=8-7&keywords=james+snapp]The Pericope Adulterae (John 7:53-8:11) - A Tour of the External Evidence - Kindle edition by James Snapp Jr. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.[/ame]

Too bad you want to bring up past debates.

A wise man once said you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Well you certainly seem to be fooling yourself the majority of the time.

Funny how none of your links contain anything from the other side of the actual debate among scholars about the same material, isn't it? Doesn't that make my point for me?

The actual point, despite the "overwhelming" evidence you just presented, is that plenty of scholars have serious questions about the issue. Your preference for the side that confirms your bias doesn't change that.

I would also like to point out that I never said that it was part of the original text, what I said is that there is pretty solid evidence that the story is true because it was mentioned, more than once, in various texts and other writings that are used to determine the authenticity of the Bible.

Well there are always people with alternative points of view. I never said it wasn't a true story. It may very well have been and it was just never written down but passed along by oral tradition. The challenge was made to give an example where the Bible had been changed and I gave one. If it's not in earlier versions and it is in later versions...well that's a change. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means it was probably added later. How and why? Who knows.

Maybe someone was making a copy of John and when he got to chapter 7 he was reminded of a story about Jesus and a woman taken in adultery and he wrote it in the margin because he thought it was a powerful story that supported a point being made. Later on maybe someone made a copy off that and saw it in the margin and thought it got skipped and he put it in his copy in the body of the text thinking the previous guy made an error. later a third guy makes a copy off the second guy and includes it in the text because that's what was written in the copy he was looking at.

Who knows how it got in there. Probably something along those lines.

It may have been in there originally and for some reason it got skipped for a couple hundred years and got put back in later. There's no evidence that I am aware of to support that assertion but hell....anything is possible. According to the evidence I am aware of (and scholarship tends to agree with me for the most part) it was added later.

But again, big deal. It doesn't matter if it was originally there or not. It doesn't even matter if it happened or not. It's what it represents that matters and BTW it's probably my favorite story about Jesus.

Except, like I pointed out before, you didn't. The Bible didn't exist until after these changes were actually added to the individual books. Modern scholarship is showing that some of the early decisions of what should be included in the Bible are questionable when compared to early documents. but that does not prove the Bible was changed. It just proves you don't know what the Bible actually is.

Funny how none of your links contain anything from the other side of the actual debate among scholars about the same material, isn't it? Doesn't that make my point for me?

The actual point, despite the "overwhelming" evidence you just presented, is that plenty of scholars have serious questions about the issue. Your preference for the side that confirms your bias doesn't change that.

I would also like to point out that I never said that it was part of the original text, what I said is that there is pretty solid evidence that the story is true because it was mentioned, more than once, in various texts and other writings that are used to determine the authenticity of the Bible.

Well there are always people with alternative points of view. I never said it wasn't a true story. It may very well have been and it was just never written down but passed along by oral tradition. The challenge was made to give an example where the Bible had been changed and I gave one. If it's not in earlier versions and it is in later versions...well that's a change. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means it was probably added later. How and why? Who knows.

Maybe someone was making a copy of John and when he got to chapter 7 he was reminded of a story about Jesus and a woman taken in adultery and he wrote it in the margin because he thought it was a powerful story that supported a point being made. Later on maybe someone made a copy off that and saw it in the margin and thought it got skipped and he put it in his copy in the body of the text thinking the previous guy made an error. later a third guy makes a copy off the second guy and includes it in the text because that's what was written in the copy he was looking at.

It may have been in there originally and for some reason it got skipped for a couple hundred years and got put back in later. There's no evidence that I am aware of to support that assertion but hell....anything is possible. According to the evidence I am aware of (and scholarship tends to agree with me for the most part) it was added later.

But again, big deal. It doesn't matter if it was originally there or not. It doesn't even matter if it happened or not. It's what it represents that matters and BTW it's probably my favorite story about Jesus.

Except, like I pointed out before, you didn't. The Bible didn't exist until after these changes were actually added to the individual books. Modern scholarship is showing that some of the early decisions of what should be included in the Bible are questionable when compared to early documents. but that does not prove the Bible was changed. It just proves you don't know what the Bible actually is.

Well that's not exactly true now is it? The Synod of Hippo in 393 and the Council of Rome in 382 was when the church first officially recognized a specific list of books as the Biblical canon. Codex Vaticanus and Codex Sinaitius were from about the same time, and later versions from the 5th century had significant differences: the addition of Mark 16: 9 - 20 and John 8 just to name a few as we've discussed. So it was almost certainly in it's final form before all these changes took place.

Additionally I provided documentation earlier that scholars have identified thousands of differences among copies that came later. I mean hell....even today the Bibles are different. The Catholics use a different Bible than other Christians; it includes two extra books if memory serves. Greek and Russian Orthodox use versions with different books as well.

I mean....come on....it's obvious to any rational thinking person that it's been changed through history. The only people who would even TRY to debate that are those who are so incredibly blinded by their faith that they can't see beyond their nose (see Chuckt).

Take the Exodus. Great story, but not a single shred of evidence that it ever happened. There are no records by the Egyptians (who were pretty decent record keepers) that they ever even enslaved the Jews to begin with. In fact there is only one engraving in the entire collection of ancient Egyptian writing that even mentions the Jews and it has nothing to do with the Exodus or slavery.

Thousands of people wandering around in the desert for years on end...you would think they would have left behind some pots or some trash or maybe even some sandals...but there's nothing. No archaeological evidence of that kind of migration at all. There is no reference to the Exodus in any other ancient historical writing. In fact the only place that talks about the Exodus is in the Book of Exodus.

Whatever. Keep believing that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K-eSRcr9CWw]Revealing God's Treasure - Mt. Sinai - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bmU_TyITtoc]Ron Wyatt Archaeology - The Exodus - Audio Cleaned & Video Stabilized - 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

RON WYATT?!?!?!? OMFG!!! That's hilarious! :rofl: So we have Ron Wyatt and James Snapp. Anyone else you want to roll out? How about Howard the Duck?

"Mr. Ron Wyatt is neither an archaeologist nor has he ever carried out a legally licensed excavation in Israel or Jerusalem. In order to excavate one must have at least a BA in archaeology which he does not possess despite his claims to the contrary. We are aware of his claims which border on the absurd as they have no scientific basis whatsoever nor have they ever been published in a professional journal. They fall into the category of trash which one finds in tabloids such as the National Enquirer, Sun etc. It's amazing that anyone would believe them. Furthermore, he has been throughly discredited by various Christian organizations such as Creation Research in Calif. For the latest on his "discoveries" I suggest going into the WWW (use Vista) someone called Tentmaker decided to do an expose of his various claims. Here you will find the truth, which is more amazing that his (RW) fictions.

Shalom
=============================
Joe Zias
Curator of Anthropology/Archaeology
Israel Antiquities Authority"

Joe Zias, former curator for Anthropology/Archaeology at Israel Antiquities Authority Weighs in on Ron Wyatt's Archaeolgical claims

Even his own foundation pulled his claims from the record by a unanimous decision after his death.

Ron Wyatt: The Saga of the Ark of the Covenant | Against Jebel al-Lawz

Ron fucking Wyatt......too much... :lmao:

Sorry...I just have to chime in one more time....Ron Wyatt!!!!! :lmao: Unreal!!! Ok...let me ask you this.....you do know the world is round right? I am sorry brother....seriously I am. I dont mean to diss you. I really don't. It's just that citing Ron Wyatt, James Snapp, and the like are as authoritative as citing Chris Angel as proof that magic is real.

Honestly I am intrigued by your mind. I am absolutely stunned that anyone would believe the crap you are saying and in truth I am not convinced you are being serious....because well...no one can possibly be that misguided. I am hanging on to this discussion because I am trying to analyze your dysfunction not because I take any of your arguments seriously but because I am trying to determine if anyone can really be that....well...let me find a kind term to describe it.....I can't. I can't describe it in a way that would be respectful.

BTW...have you met Koshergirl? You two will love each other!

Ron fucking Wyatt..... :lmao: ...oh my God you are a breath of fresh air that provides me with amusement in a stressful profession.

Sorry...I just have to chime in one more time....Ron Wyatt!!!!! :lmao: Unreal!!! Ok...let me ask you this.....you do know the world is round right? I am sorry brother....seriously I am. I dont mean to diss you. I really don't. It's just that citing Ron Wyatt, James Snapp, and the like are as authoritative as citing Chris Angel as proof that magic is real.

Honestly I am intrigued by your mind. I am absolutely stunned that anyone would believe the crap you are saying and in truth I am not convinced you are being serious....because well...no one can possibly be that misguided. I am hanging on to this discussion because I am trying to analyze your dysfunction not because I take any of your arguments seriously but because I am trying to determine if anyone can really be that....well...let me find a kind term to describe it.....I can't. I can't describe it in a way that would be respectful.

Ron fucking Wyatt..... :lmao: ...oh my God you are a breath of fresh air that provides me with amusement in a stressful profession.

The pictures are more than you have and it is enough to for the Saudi government to put a fence around it because they don't want word to get out.

I don't think the mods would let me express how intelligent I think you are right now.

Hard not to notice many outspoken Christians seem to talking about a Jesus and Christianity not backed up by actual Scriptures. When ever you wanna know the truth about something go to the source and oldest, most original version (before schizms and rewritting took place.) For Christianity this is found in Gnosticism which is the original version of 'Christ followers.'

Great site here, link is to a chronological listing of the Christian writings as with the NT, apocrypha, etc.

Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

Looking at this link it's amazing where Gospel fo Matthew is considering the 20 or so pieces of writing out decades before. Yet I'll bet most Christians assume Matthew was written first since it appears first in the NT.

The site's entry for Gnostics is especially worth-while,
Gnostics, Gnostic Gospels, & Gnosticism

"A one-sentence description of Gnosticism: a religion that differentiates the evil god of this world (who is identified with the god of the Old Testament) from a higher more abstract God revealed by Jesus Christ, a religion that regards this world as the creation of a series of evil archons/powers who wish to keep the human soul trapped in an evil physical body, a religion that preaches a hidden wisdom or knowledge only to a select group as necessary for salvation or escape from this world."

Most Christians think Jesus was the literal son of God since many referred to him as that. Yet the earliest "Christian" writings reveal much more accurately what Jesus was all about than the modern fables do.

With a more accurate and complete picture of the religion that sprang up LONG after Jesus' death, what we think it means to be Christian today can only make you laugh.

Early Christianity had four hotspots. They are often referred to as pillars. One was Alexandria--a Greek city. There is a huge difference in the discussions and attitudes at that time period and what we see now. It's not that strange if you look at the prior discussions, philosophies in antiquity (and later) as Greek. There is this intellectual curiosity at play. It's not until the power grab that this changes. And it doesn't really change until Theodosius I. The hammer doesn't completely come down until Aelia Pulcheria. She really is the wicked witch of the East.

The last neoplatonic academy was raided and shut down by Justinian. They would dissect religions and look for the common denominator. They are looking for similarities in all of the religions and documenting them. This is why there are so many pagan beliefs in Christianity.

Today those discussions or debates are rarely seen. It's quite sad.

It's extremely weird that gays support a president that has a close friendship with the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas, both of which would be tickled to saw every homosexual's head off just for general purposes.

I just wonder if some of you are aware of this or has your sense of self-preservation taken a dirt nap?

Should they support the GOP after Bush's relationship with the Bin Ladin family? No wonder he "got away" all those years. :eusa_liar:

Delta,

There is a book by Charles Freeman

138929.jpg

It's lengthy. He lays out an argument for when and how this thought process changed.

I don't think the mods would let me express how intelligent I think you are right now.

Oh no...be still my heart. Given that your mark of intelligence is guys like Ron Wyatt, James Snapp, and Hal Lindsey...believe me...I am relieved you don't put me in the same category.

Well that's not exactly true now is it? The Synod of Hippo in 393 and the Council of Rome in 382 was when the church first officially recognized a specific list of books as the Biblical canon. Codex Vaticanus and Codex Sinaitius were from about the same time, and later versions from the 5th century had significant differences: the addition of Mark 16: 9 - 20 and John 8 just to name a few as we've discussed. So it was almost certainly in it's final form before all these changes took place.

Additionally I provided documentation earlier that scholars have identified thousands of differences among copies that came later. I mean hell....even today the Bibles are different. The Catholics use a different Bible than other Christians; it includes two extra books if memory serves. Greek and Russian Orthodox use versions with different books as well.

I mean....come on....it's obvious to any rational thinking person that it's been changed through history. The only people who would even TRY to debate that are those who are so incredibly blinded by their faith that they can't see beyond their nose (see Chuckt).

I will admit upfront that I haven't read all your links. The ones I have read seem to be concentrated on people who have the intent of something, that kind of turned me off. I have no interest in reading "scholarship" with n agenda, I much prefer to read scholarship that focuses on finding the original text of documents.

The accepted method of Biblical textual criticism goes back to the earliest copies, and that is how the Bible is being treated today. The most interesting thing about textual criticism is that it isn't just used on the Bible, it is applicable to numerous types of documents. The fact that modern scholarship is clearing up various discrepancies does not, in and of itself, prove that the Bible has been changed. In fact, the general consensus among scholars is that there has been remarkably little change to over the years from the original source documents.

As an aside, I can sight scholars that say the Holocaust didn't happen. I won't, mostly because I understand that the fact that the fact that scholars say something does not make it true. I really on multiple sources, and try to get an idea of both sides of the debate about something, before I form an opinion. That often takes a lot of work, but, in the end, it is worth it.

By the way, differences in translations of the Bibles, or even the fact that the Catholic Church includes different books in the Old Testament, are completely irrelevant to this discussion. The attempted deflection was fun though, so feel free to throw another one in if you are of a mind to.

Last edited:
By the way, differences in translations of the Bibles, or even the fact that the Catholic Church includes different books in the Old Testament, are completely irrelevant to this discussion. The attempted deflection was fun though, so feel free to throw another one in if you are of a mind to.

It's more than just differences in translation. It's completely different things being said. In 1701 a theologian at Oxford named John Mill published his work Novum Testamentum (actually the full title is much longer but that's how it is commonly referred to). What Mill did was to write the New Testament in Greek which he did on the top half of every page and on the bottom he referenced and recorded all the differences he found when looking at copies of manuscripts. Mill looked at 100 copes of ancient manuscripts of the New Testament (keeping in mind that there are roughly 5,500 copies in Greek in existence) and in just those 100 copes he found 30,000 differences. If you extrapolate that over all 5,500 copies there would be more differences than words in the New Testament as a whole.

As I pointed out earlier, most of them are completely irrelevant but some of them are quite significant indeed. For example in the beginning of Mark (I believe) there is a story about Jesus healing a man on the side of the road. The man asked to be healed and the modern Bible reads that Jesus felt "compassion" and reached out and healed him. But Mill noted that in several of the very early copies it says Jesus felt "angry" with him and reached out and healed him.

This is not a case of someone mis-writing a word by accident (the ancient version of a typo). This is another example of a deliberate change. Either someone changed it from Jesus being compassionate to being angry (which is unlikely) or someone changed it from Jesus being angry to being compassionate. The latter is far more likely because a) the earlier copies say "angry", and b) it's more likely that someone copying the text would say "why would Jesus be angry at a man asking for healing? That doesn't make sense. Let's just switch it around so it more closely resembles the patient, loving Jesus that we think of".

Face it dude....the Bible has been changed...usually by accident but sometimes intentionally. Usually in a manner that is irrelevant, but sometimes in a manner that is significant

It's more than just differences in translation. It's completely different things being said. In 1701 a theologian at Oxford named John Mill published his work Novum Testamentum (actually the full title is much longer but that's how it is commonly referred to). What Mill did was to write the New Testament in Greek which he did on the top half of every page and on the bottom he referenced and recorded all the differences he found when looking at copies of manuscripts. Mill looked at 100 copes of ancient manuscripts of the New Testament (keeping in mind that there are roughly 5,500 copies in Greek in existence) and in just those 100 copes he found 30,000 differences. If you extrapolate that over all 5,500 copies there would be more differences than words in the New Testament as a whole.

As I pointed out earlier, most of them are completely irrelevant but some of them are quite significant indeed. For example in the beginning of Mark (I believe) there is a story about Jesus healing a man on the side of the road. The man asked to be healed and the modern Bible reads that Jesus felt "compassion" and reached out and healed him. But Mill noted that in several of the very early copies it says Jesus felt "angry" with him and reached out and healed him.

This is not a case of someone mis-writing a word by accident (the ancient version of a typo). This is another example of a deliberate change. Either someone changed it from Jesus being compassionate to being angry (which is unlikely) or someone changed it from Jesus being angry to being compassionate. The latter is far more likely because a) the earlier copies say "angry", and b) it's more likely that someone copying the text would say "why would Jesus be angry at a man asking for healing? That doesn't make sense. Let's just switch it around so it more closely resembles the patient, loving Jesus that we think of".

Face it dude....the Bible has been changed...usually by accident but sometimes intentionally. Usually in a manner that is irrelevant, but sometimes in a manner that is significant

Which is precisely one of several reasons the Lord has called new apostles and revealed new scripture to restore His church and gather His people

Forum List

Back