So much for Republicans being at the forefront of civil rights in the 60

Is this your way of denying the fact it was Democrats that were the villains of the civil rights movement in the '60s?

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Lyndon Johnson LED the civil rights movement of the 60's. Barry Goldwater LED the opposition to it.
Who tried to filibuster it?

Southerners.
Let me give you a hint. Begins with D, ends in rats. Does that help you any?

Actually lemme give you a hint.

>> When we look at the party vote in both houses of Congress, it fits the historical pattern. Republicans are more in favor of the bill:

partycivilrights.jpeg

80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill. Less than 70% of Democrats did. Indeed, Minority Leader Republican Everett Dirksen led the fight to end the filibuster. Meanwhile, Democrats such as Richard Russell of Georgia and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina tried as hard as they could to sustain a filibuster.

Of course, it was also Democrats who helped usher the bill through the House, Senate, and ultimately a Democratic president who signed it into law. The bill wouldn't have passed without the support of Majority Leader Mike Mansfield of Montana, a Democrat. Majority Whip Hubert Humphrey, who basically split the Democratic party in two with his 1948 Democratic National Convention speech calling for equal rights for all, kept tabs on individual members to ensure the bill had the numbers to overcome the filibuster.

Put another way, party affiliation seems to be somewhat predictive, but something seems to be missing. So, what factor did best predicting voting?

You don't need to know too much history to understand that the South from the civil war to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 tended to be opposed to minority rights. This factor was separate from party identification or ideology. We can easily control for this variable by breaking up the voting by those states that were part of the confederacy and those that were not.

regioncivlrights.jpeg

You can see that geography was far more predictive of voting coalitions on the Civil Rights than party affiliation. What linked Dirksen and Mansfield was the fact that they weren't from the south. In fact, 90% of members of Congress from states (or territories) that were part of the Union voted in favor of the act, while less than 10% of members of Congress from the old Confederate states voted for it. This 80pt difference between regions is far greater than the 15pt difference between parties.

But what happens when we control for both party affiliation and region? As Sean Trende noted earlier this year, "sometimes relationships become apparent only after you control for other factors".

bothcivilrights.jpeg

In this case, it becomes clear that Democrats in the north and the south were more likely to vote for the bill than Republicans in the north and south respectively. This difference in both houses is statistically significant with over 95% confidence. It just so happened southerners made up a larger percentage of the Democratic than Republican caucus, which created the initial impression than Republicans were more in favor of the act.

Nearly 100% of Union state Democrats supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act compared to 85% of Republicans. None of the southern Republicans voted for the bill, while a small percentage of southern Democrats did.

The same pattern holds true when looking at ideology instead of party affiliation. The folks over at Voteview.com, who created DW-nominate scores to measure the ideology of congressmen and senators, found that the more liberal a congressman or senator was the more likely he would vote for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, once one controlled for a factor closely linked to geography. <<
This ^^ is your brain on facts.

Any questions?

Lyndon Johnson LED the civil rights movement of the 60's. Barry Goldwater LED the opposition to it.

Southern conservatives.

Why can't you people come up with names?

Why do you want an answer to a question you already know the answer to?

Because I want one of you to actually post the name of Robert Byrd, a democrat that ended up being the longest serving Senator in our history, and was a democrat from the day he took office, til the day he was wheeled out for the last time.

And what was Lyndon Johnson?

Southern conservatives.

Because I want one of you to actually post the name of Robert Byrd, a democrat that ended up being the longest serving Senator in our history, and was a democrat from the day he took office, til the day he was wheeled out for the last time.

President.

As far back as I can remember, the president hasn't cast a vote on the senate or house floor.

Southern conservatives.

Robert who?

Oh, wait...I remember, Hillary Clinton's mentor, right? Am I right???

Southern conservatives.

What was LBJ?

The asshat that set out to end poverty and racism with his so called Great Society. 50 years and TRILLIONS of dollars later, poverty is worse.

But hey, the Black man is thriving, right?

LBJ was among the worste of our central planner wannabes. Cut from the same cloth as Wilson, FDR, Carter and yes, Obama.

The worst of the worst of the last 100+ years.

Southern conservatives.

A democrat.

Southern conservatives.

What was LBJ?

The asshat that set out to end poverty and racism with his so called Great Society. 50 years and TRILLIONS of dollars later, poverty is worse.

LBJ was among the worste of our central planner wannabes. Cut from the same cloth as Wilson, FDR, Carter and yes, Obama.

It was about votes and it still is.

Is this your way of denying the fact it was Democrats that were the villains of the civil rights movement in the '60s?

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Southerners.
Let me give you a hint. Begins with D, ends in rats. Does that help you any?

Actually lemme give you a hint.

>> When we look at the party vote in both houses of Congress, it fits the historical pattern. Republicans are more in favor of the bill:

partycivilrights.jpeg

80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill. Less than 70% of Democrats did. Indeed, Minority Leader Republican Everett Dirksen led the fight to end the filibuster. Meanwhile, Democrats such as Richard Russell of Georgia and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina tried as hard as they could to sustain a filibuster.

Of course, it was also Democrats who helped usher the bill through the House, Senate, and ultimately a Democratic president who signed it into law. The bill wouldn't have passed without the support of Majority Leader Mike Mansfield of Montana, a Democrat. Majority Whip Hubert Humphrey, who basically split the Democratic party in two with his 1948 Democratic National Convention speech calling for equal rights for all, kept tabs on individual members to ensure the bill had the numbers to overcome the filibuster.

Put another way, party affiliation seems to be somewhat predictive, but something seems to be missing. So, what factor did best predicting voting?

You don't need to know too much history to understand that the South from the civil war to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 tended to be opposed to minority rights. This factor was separate from party identification or ideology. We can easily control for this variable by breaking up the voting by those states that were part of the confederacy and those that were not.

regioncivlrights.jpeg

You can see that geography was far more predictive of voting coalitions on the Civil Rights than party affiliation. What linked Dirksen and Mansfield was the fact that they weren't from the south. In fact, 90% of members of Congress from states (or territories) that were part of the Union voted in favor of the act, while less than 10% of members of Congress from the old Confederate states voted for it. This 80pt difference between regions is far greater than the 15pt difference between parties.

But what happens when we control for both party affiliation and region? As Sean Trende noted earlier this year, "sometimes relationships become apparent only after you control for other factors".

bothcivilrights.jpeg

In this case, it becomes clear that Democrats in the north and the south were more likely to vote for the bill than Republicans in the north and south respectively. This difference in both houses is statistically significant with over 95% confidence. It just so happened southerners made up a larger percentage of the Democratic than Republican caucus, which created the initial impression than Republicans were more in favor of the act.

Nearly 100% of Union state Democrats supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act compared to 85% of Republicans. None of the southern Republicans voted for the bill, while a small percentage of southern Democrats did.

The same pattern holds true when looking at ideology instead of party affiliation. The folks over at Voteview.com, who created DW-nominate scores to measure the ideology of congressmen and senators, found that the more liberal a congressman or senator was the more likely he would vote for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, once one controlled for a factor closely linked to geography. <<
This ^^ is your brain on facts.

Any questions?

Yes, passing the civil rights act was bipartisan, I never said it wasn't, but I believe the question was "who fought against civil right". The answer is the majority of those that did were southern DEMOCRATS.

I neither suggested or inferred otherwise. You made assumptions that I did.

What was LBJ?

It was about votes and it still is.

Yes it was...and yes it is.

President Lyndon B. Johnson once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Southern conservatives.

A democrat.

So even a simpleton like you can understand that in the 60's there was a major split in the Democratic Party between the liberal wing,

the pro-civil rights wing,

and the conservative wing, the anti-civil rights wing.

Trump walked right into Lewis's right cross and has been flailing ever since.

What a pitiful week this will be for the Alt Right, the Far Right, and the president-elect.
How? Trump slammed him. Liberal media will glorify the irrelevant Lewis.

Trump is being subjected to a bi-partisan hammering on this latest Trump fuck up.

A democrat.

So even a simpleton like you can understand that in the 60's there was a major split in the Democratic Party between the liberal wing,

So you deny your roots? How precious. Lol

A democrat.

So you deny your roots? How precious. Lol

My politics align with the liberal wing of the Democratic party. Yours align with the conservative segregationist wing of the Democratic party,

which no longer exists.

See? George C Wallace a democrats is blocking entry to the University of Alabama for blacks. I do not see Jefferson Beauregard Sessions anywhere dew ewe?

Donald Trump, the new leader of the Republican Party, vilifying John Lewis, a black man who actually fought for civil rights in the 60's.
Millions of people fought for civil rights in the 60s. He isnt special.

Forum List

Back