Suffocation to be used in capital punishment

Well, they did it and it was a clusterfuck.

Smith appeared to remain conscious for several minutes after the nitrogen was activated, according to five journalists who were allowed to watch the execution through glass as media witnesses. Although the mask was also secured to the gurney, he then began shaking his head and writhing for about two minutes, and then could be seen breathing deeply for several minutes before his breathing slowed and became imperceptible, the witnesses said.

"It appeared that Smith was holding his breath as long as he could," Alabama Corrections Commissioner John Hamm told a press conference. "He struggled against the restraints a little bit but it's an involuntary movement and some agonal breathing. So that was all expected."

Rev. Jeff Hood, Smith's spiritual adviser, was at Smith's side for the execution, and said prison officials in the room "were visibly surprised at how bad this thing went."
"What we saw was minutes of someone struggling for their life,"
Hood, attending his fifth execution in the last 15 months, told reporters. "We saw minutes of someone heaving back and forth. We saw spit. We saw all sorts of stuff from his mouth develop on the mask. We saw this mask tied to the gurney, and him ripping his head forward over and over and over again."

Well, they did it and it was a clusterfuck.

Smith appeared to remain conscious for several minutes after the nitrogen was activated, according to five journalists who were allowed to watch the execution through glass as media witnesses. Although the mask was also secured to the gurney, he then began shaking his head and writhing for about two minutes, and then could be seen breathing deeply for several minutes before his breathing slowed and became imperceptible, the witnesses said.

"It appeared that Smith was holding his breath as long as he could," Alabama Corrections Commissioner John Hamm told a press conference. "He struggled against the restraints a little bit but it's an involuntary movement and some agonal breathing. So that was all expected."

Rev. Jeff Hood, Smith's spiritual adviser, was at Smith's side for the execution, and said prison officials in the room "were visibly surprised at how bad this thing went."
"What we saw was minutes of someone struggling for their life,"
Hood, attending his fifth execution in the last 15 months, told reporters. "We saw minutes of someone heaving back and forth. We saw spit. We saw all sorts of stuff from his mouth develop on the mask. We saw this mask tied to the gurney, and him ripping his head forward over and over and over again."
Darn you mean a vile Murderer suffered a little? I feel so bad for him.

Darn you mean a vile Murderer suffered a little? I feel so bad for him.
Yeah. Two minutes of agitation as he realized he was finally having to pay for the agony he caused that woman.

None of these leftists ever seem to give shit about the pain these assholes inflicted on their victims.

Yeah. Two minutes of agitation as he realized he was finally having to pay for the agony he caused that woman.

None of these leftists ever seem to give shit about the pain these assholes inflicted on their victims.

Does executing him bring her back to life? No.
Does it really deter the next guy? No.
Is it a practical use of resources? No. The money that Alabama spent trying to execute this guy and litigating a new method could have incarcerated dozens of criminals who probably had to be let go due to a lack of resources to hold them.

Anyone else Alabama tries to execute using this method has automatic grounds for appeal that it didn't go the way they said it was, so this is probably going to be a one-shot deal.

Does executing him bring her back to life? No.
Does it really deter the next guy? No.
Is it a practical use of resources? No. The money that Alabama spent trying to execute this guy and litigating a new method could have incarcerated dozens of criminals who probably had to be let go due to a lack of resources to hold them.

Anyone else Alabama tries to execute using this method has automatic grounds for appeal that it didn't go the way they said it was, so this is probably going to be a one-shot deal.

No, it doesn't. But it sure as hell punishes him for taking hers.

So would locking him up for the rest of his life, and it would be less expensive.

Not really. Three hots and a cot. No need to work. Laying about reading, watching TV.

Doesn't sound like punishment to me at all.

I don't see you signing up for it.

Prisons are horrible places to be, and you know it.

But not bad enough. If they had to do forced labor that would be one thing, but they don't.

They ignored the civil Rights of their victims. Thus, they get no pity from me.

But not bad enough. If they had to do forced labor that would be one thing, but they don't.

They ignored the civil Rights of their victims. Thus, they get no pity from me.
Oh, let's be honest, it just satisfies your murder boner.

And if we happen to execute an innocent person (we have at least 20 cases that are questionable and 196 people who've been released from Death Row after being proven innocent), that's just their tough luck, eh?

Oh, let's be honest, it just satisfies your murder boner.

And if we happen to execute an innocent person (we have at least 20 cases that are questionable and 196 people who've been released from Death Row after being proven innocent), that's just their tough luck, eh?

No, unlike you I care about the victims. You don't.

No, unlike you I care about the victims. You don't.

How is executing the wrong person helping the victims exactly?

How is spending millions of dollars to litigate a new method of execution helping victims who aren't getting justice because there aren't the resources to prosecute their cases?

Here's how I would help "victims".
Pass sensible gun laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
Fund mental health and drug treatment programs adequately.
Address issues of wealth inequality and lack of opportunity.

Will it stop the truly evil people? Absolutely not. You will always have your Gacys and Bundys out there.

But it will stop people from making bad mistakes that alter the trajectory of many lives.

How is executing the wrong person helping the victims exactly?

How is spending millions of dollars to litigate a new method of execution helping victims who aren't getting justice because there aren't the resources to prosecute their cases?

Here's how I would help "victims".
Pass sensible gun laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
Fund mental health and drug treatment programs adequately.
Address issues of wealth inequality and lack of opportunity.

Will it stop the truly evil people? Absolutely not. You will always have your Gacys and Bundys out there.

But it will stop people from making bad mistakes that alter the trajectory of many lives.

This isn't the wrong criminal. He DID the crime.

Forum List

Back