The electric car you feel is creating no emissions...

No one 'hates' it. We only ask that you be reasonable in your expectations of what it can do. Remember, all electric cars have to be recharged. The electricity to recharge them does not just magically appear, it has to be generated.

You DO realize that every car that runs on gasoline needs to be "recharged" in the fact that it needs it's fuel tank refilled to be able to run, right?

Recharging an electric car is the same thing as filling the gas tank on your current car.

You DO realize that every car that runs on gasoline needs to be "recharged" in the fact that it needs it's fuel tank refilled to be able to run, right?

exactly

when i can recharge an electric car in five minutes or less

and get 400 or more miles out of that recharge

i would be all for it

Can you REALLY charge your gas engine in five minutes or less and expect it to run for 400 miles?

Most cars are only able to go 250 to 350 miles per tank. Some trucks that use diesel are able to go around up to 450 miles, but that's with an 18 1/2 gallon tank.

Ever spent the time to fuel up a tank that size?

I still think that electric cars are the way to go, especially since most people don't go more than 150 miles away from their home (even if they have a long commute).

Most people have a 40 mile or less commute, and that includes errands.

Recharging an electric car is the same thing as filling the gas tank on your current car.

exactly

when i can recharge an electric car in five minutes or less

and get 400 or more miles out of that recharge

i would be all for it

Can you REALLY charge your gas engine in five minutes or less and expect it to run for 400 miles?

Most cars are only able to go 250 to 350 miles per tank. Some trucks that use diesel are able to go around up to 450 miles, but that's with an 18 1/2 gallon tank.

Ever spent the time to fuel up a tank that size?

I still think that electric cars are the way to go, especially since most people don't go more than 150 miles away from their home (even if they have a long commute).

Most people have a 40 mile or less commute, and that includes errands.

yes i do it all the time actually the Cobalt gets just shy of 500 miles on a tank of gas

Some trucks that use diesel are able to go around up to 450 miles, but that's with an 18 1/2 gallon tank.

still it only takes minutes to fill an 18 &1/2 gallon tank

it takes less then ten minutes to pump a 100 gallons

into the rig and then that gets about 700 miles

like i said personally i am all for electric vehicles

and when they can be recharged at these rates

i would have one for more then a novelty

as i stated earlier i would like to have a

hydrogen electric vehicle

there are some trial hydrogen electric vehicles in southern California

running right now

that offer a few minutes to "recharge" or refill

but the range is a little less then 300 miles

still pretty good

and setting aside that it takes fossil fuels

to create the hydrogen currently

Tesla batteries can be changed in the same time as a gas fill up, and they're starting to build stations NOW so...done and done...

Will Tesla Model S have battery-swapping available soon ...
www.csmonitor.com/.../Will-Tesla-Model-...
The Christian Science Monitor
Jun 17, 2014 - ... a battery pack from a Tesla Model S and replace it with a new one. ... a few dozen battery-swap stations for its specially-designed Renault ...

So, here we have a automobile, made right here in America, by American workers averaging well above the average pay, that has no match in the rest of the world, yet out "Conservatives" absolutely hate it. Very interesting. Perhaps a real insight into how their minds work, or fail to.

No one 'hates' it. We only ask that you be reasonable in your expectations of what it can do. Remember, all electric cars have to be recharged. The electricity to recharge them does not just magically appear, it has to be generated.

It doesn't take 12 hours to "recharge" your car with gasoline. It takes about 5 minutes.

This just in... The electric car you feel is creating no emissions is actually powered by coal in the most inefficient way humanly possible... Movie at 11.

:)

peace...

So, how much exactly does it prduce compaired to an internal combution engine?

Between the environmentally damaging production and oil which you need to recharge it just as much.

He's had the car for almost a year and has never had to wait once, not at a dealership and not at work.

Why are you so opposed to reducing our dependence on oil?

Do you use a windmill to recharge it? If you plug it in to your house to recharge it, then you are using coal, oil, or gas to run your car. And the conversion from oil to electricity to battery to motor to wheels is not very efficient, some energy is lost in every conversion step.

Clearly you forget Nuclear and Damn Water power but whatever, you don't care because Fox News didn't tell you this.

Nope, Nuclear is great. When was the last nuclear power plant built in the US? Hydro electric is also great. How many places exist in the US where a dam can be built, where one does not already exist.

You guys on the left want alternative energy, but you are the same people who bitch when a solar panel farm disrupts the habitat of a lizard, when a nuclear plant is ever considered, or when a river might be dammed.

Your version of the perfect world is everyone living in a cave and eating twigs and leaves.

Said another way, liberals do not live in the real world.

The batteries are obviously recycled appropriately. They last a long time and are easily identified, they have a car attached. They aren't double A's.

The eia has the info on emissions.

How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

"How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
About 19.64 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol. About 22.38 pounds of CO2 are produced by burning a gallon of diesel fuel."

The electric auto produces no emissions.

The eia also has info on co2 per kw for different methods of generation.

How much carbon dioxide is produced per kilowatthour when generating electricity with fossil fuels? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Hydroelectric produces none. So that's an easy calculation.

The others a bit more complicated.

We can rough out the solution without it, though.

An electric car with solar produces none.
An electric car with coal produces some.

The difference betwen the two is the generation method, so it's not the car that is the causal factor.

An inernal combustion engine produces it regardless of how electricit is generated on the grid. It is the causal factor.

I think the idea of the electric vehicle is that it s one link in a chain. It solves one of the issues.

moving a car requires energy, the energy must be produced by something. If you can recharge your car using solar, great, but it won't work too well at night, and if you charge it during the day and drive at night it won't run as long because some of the charge will be used to run the lights, and don't even think about turning on the A/C.

maybe you can recharge from a windmill, but how will you get to work the next day if no wind is blowing that night?

I do agree with your last sentence, however. one link, but a minor link.
My God, what an effort to convince yourself that wind or solar won't work. However you didn't make any sense.

Wind and solar do work. I never said otherwise. But let us know when you come up with a wind or solar powered 18 wheeler.

Why don't we have wind farms off the east coast like they do in europe? Why don't we have acres of solar panel farms in the western deserts? Answer: because you liberals don't want to disrupt your view of the ocean or the habitat of tiny desert creatures.

YOU ARE IDIOTS!

Wind, Solar, Wave and Tital turbines can power Electric Cars that do not pollute (by today's measures)

The argument that "It takes oil or coal to power electric cars and oil/coal pollute!" is a bit ironic and funny.

Jacques Fresco has been talking about free energy for decades but "free" is why we attack so many things in our Capitalist Society. If things are free, many people lose jobs so Corporations buy politicians who use their power to keep free things illegal.

Wind and solar are not free. The windmills and solar panels are expensive to build and maintain. The transmissiion lines are not free. So you argument about greedy corporations is nothing but bullshit.

So, here we have a automobile, made right here in America, by American workers averaging well above the average pay, that has no match in the rest of the world, yet out "Conservatives" absolutely hate it. Very interesting. Perhaps a real insight into how their minds work, or fail to.

My point exactly. Thanks for helping make it.

Locomotives are diesel/electric. A diesel engine drives a generator which creates electircity, the electricity turns a motor which puts power to the wheels. Many ships are also diesel electric. It makes for a lighter quieter ship with no long propeller shaft.

But they are not "electric" vehicles. They run on diesel fuel, made from OIL.

some streetcars are pure electric using overhead wires to get the electricity to their motors. But something still has to be burned to create the electricity.

If you're moving the vehicle with an electric engine, then it's electric. Regardless how you generate the electricity.

Wrong, asshole. A "diesel" locomotive uses a diesel motor to drive an electric generator which powers the electric motors that drive the wheels.

Again, for the slow -- if you're driving the wheels with an electric motor, then you're driving the wheels with an electric motor.

Am I posting too fast for you?

That's great if you want to go to a Nissan dealership and wait for 3 hours.

Electric cars:

Wait to go to work
Wait to go home
Wait to go the grocery store.

Yeah, great cars.

The entire idea of EVs is, and always has been, to substitute for the local commuting that makes up about 80% of our total driving; the six miles to work, the three miles to the grocery, the seven miles to school. It doesn't even need a halfway charge for that. Keep an ICE (or rent one when you need it) for those trips over 50 miles. Just by doing that you cut out 80% of the personal vehicle gasoline usage.

Or, sit in the corner and hold your breath 'til you turn blue, or until some inventor figures out how to run cars on butthurt and whine.

The only problem is you occasionally have to drive to grandma's house, which is in the next town, or go looking at new homes, which means you're driving all day, or go to the beach, which is 30 miles away. That means you need two cars to do the job that one does now.

No shit, Sherlock. Did you have help figuring that out, or did you actually read my post for once?

Lots of people/families have two cars already. I do. You're already spending umpteen thousand bucks for one vehicle, what's the difference spending umpteen thousand bucks on two? So you apportion each one for its intended purpose, just as you apportion where you go on a bike or on foot. And if cost is a factor, the fact that you're only going to need the ICE 20% of the time (typically) means you rent one for the occasion, since you don't need it that often. Business op for car rentals. And by the way, "duh".

Not rocket surgery here but let us know when this much seeps in.

My co-worker has a Leaf that he is allowed to charge at work...special charging stations set up for it. He also gets a free charge at Nissan dealerships if he needs it. One even stayed open late for him.

Electric cars:

Wait to go to work
Wait to go home

Yeah, great cars.

He's had the car for almost a year and has never had to wait once, not at a dealership and not at work.

Fingerboy:

Wait for the point to seep in...
Wait for lame response...
Wait while laughter subsides...

Electric cars:

Wait to go to work
Wait to go home

Yeah, great cars.

Do you use a windmill to recharge it? If you plug it in to your house to recharge it, then you are using coal, oil, or gas to run your car. And the conversion from oil to electricity to battery to motor to wheels is not very efficient, some energy is lost in every conversion step.

It was established way back at the beginning of this thread that that's not necessarily the case. Depending on where you live you could be recharging from hydro or solar, etc.

Coal and fossil fuels (and nukes) are the quick-fix solutions of the past, relics of the dawn of the Industrial Revolution when environmental repercussions were not thought through and only end results mattered. That system has to change too, and has been doing so, regardless whether the power generated goes to EVs or completely different things. They are parallel courses.

And no, the oil and gas industry isn't "at the forefront" of jack shit. They're playing catchup to look good, and they started that as soon as it became clear that continuing to oppose it wasn't going to play to John Q. Public and that if they didn't get on board they were going to have no chance of steering the ship.

Denialists... :rolleyes:

The electric car has an interesting history. It was developed from a locomotive which today are still electric.

I am a bit of a gear head.

Locomotives are diesel/electric. A diesel engine drives a generator which creates electircity, the electricity turns a motor which puts power to the wheels. Many ships are also diesel electric. It makes for a lighter quieter ship with no long propeller shaft.

some streetcars are pure electric using overhead wires to get the electricity to their motors. But something still has to be burned to create the electricity.
Nothing is pure electric. Even electric cars are coal or nuclear electric. The only difference between a locomotive and an electric car is that the locomotive produces it's own electricity. The diesel engine is just a generator. I actually believe fuel electric cars havea viable future. Not hybrids because they aren't fuel electric, they are synergistic.

This will irk the technology knuckledraggers to their last nerve, but using fossil fuels to generate electricity for an electric motor STILL cuts consumption of those fossil fuels.

Here's a Dutch company using a similar idea with buses using in-wheel electric drive to propel the bus. A small diesel motor -- way too small to drive the bus -- is used as an electric generator. This means they get twice the mileage out of a gallon of diesel juice, and this is just the beginning of the technology.

Like it or lump it, efficiency will carry the day.

Now back to our nattering nabobs of negativism for their astute and profound thoughts amounting to "will never work". :eusa_snooty:

Nothing is pure electric. Even electric cars are coal or nuclear electric. The only difference between a locomotive and an electric car is that the locomotive produces it's own electricity. The diesel engine is just a generator. I actually believe fuel electric cars havea viable future. Not hybrids because they aren't fuel electric, they are synergistic.

This will irk the technology knuckledraggers to their last nerve, but using fossil fuels to generate electricity for an electric motor STILL cuts consumption of those fossil fuels.

Here's a Dutch company using a similar idea with buses using in-wheel electric drive to propel the bus. A small diesel motor -- way too small to drive the bus -- is used as an electric generator. This means they get twice the mileage out of a gallon of diesel juice, and this is just the beginning of the technology.

Like it or lump it, efficiency will carry the day.

Now back to our nattering nabobs of negativism for their astute and profound thoughts amounting to "will never work". :eusa_snooty:

Thats great. Now, what runs the diesel engine that turns the generator?

The point I am trying to drive through you dems thick heads is that fossil fuels remain in the mix in a large way. If we can reduce our use of them, great. Everyone is in favor of that. But lets not be so ignorant to think that we can stop using fossil fuels completely in the foreseeable future.

We still need to drill for oil and gas and mine for coal. and YES, we need to find cleaner ways to use them-------NO ONE disagrees with that.

It was established way back at the beginning of this thread that that's not necessarily the case. Depending on where you live you could be recharging from hydro or solar, etc.

Coal and fossil fuels (and nukes) are the quick-fix solutions of the past, relics of the dawn of the Industrial Revolution when environmental repercussions were not thought through and only end results mattered. That system has to change too, and has been doing so, regardless whether the power generated goes to EVs or completely different things. They are parallel courses.

And no, the oil and gas industry isn't "at the forefront" of jack shit. They're playing catchup to look good, and they started that as soon as it became clear that continuing to oppose it wasn't going to play to John Q. Public and that if they didn't get on board they were going to have no chance of steering the ship.

Denialists... :rolleyes:

OK, so if you live where your power comes from solar or wind you can recharge without using fossil fuels. Now, tell us where in the USA 100% of the electricity is generated by solar or wind.

If you're moving the vehicle with an electric engine, then it's electric. Regardless how you generate the electricity.

Wrong, asshole. A "diesel" locomotive uses a diesel motor to drive an electric generator which powers the electric motors that drive the wheels.

Again, for the slow -- if you're driving the wheels with an electric motor, then you're driving the wheels with an electric motor.

In the diesel locomotive there are three things that make the wheels turn. A diesel engine burns diesel fuel (oil) to turn a shaft which turns a generator which makes electricity, that electricity is used to turn an electric motor which turns a shaft that is connected to the wheels, then the wheels turn and the train moves. Without the diesel engine nothing would happen.

In the diesel locomotive there are three things that make the wheels turn. A diesel engine burns diesel fuel (oil) to turn a shaft which turns a generator which makes electricity, that electricity is used to turn an electric motor which turns a shaft that is connected to the wheels, then the wheels turn and the train moves. Without the diesel engine nothing would happen.

That's one thing, not three. Strip out the diesel engine and replace it with some other power source, you still have an electrically-propelled train.

Forum List

Back