They don't make Republican consevatives like they used to

The only way out...is real leadership!
Had me then you lost me...that "real leadershp" is so broad as to be meaningless. It's also just a Fox News talking point.

Real leadership is having the courage to tell people the truth...even when that "truth" isn't something the people want to hear.
Which President, while running for office, or in the white house, has done that?

I don't think there are any, or they wouldn't have gotten elected.

If you feel there are, could you provide an example?...above just stating something like "I think Ike did"...or "Clinton did all the time"...for example

I find it fascinating that the GOP is screaming how the American public "has spoken" in this last election when less than one third of the voting population voted. That means that with the thin majorities they managed to buy spending in many cases 10 to 1 against their opponents that the REALITY is that they gained their new seats on the voices of 17 -18 per cent of the voting public. I'm no math doctrit but less than 20 per cent is a far cry from "America has spoken". In fact it is a bald faced lie...but then that's what the new GOP does isn't it. They are disgusting liars. Piss on every one of them.

Had me then you lost me...that "real leadershp" is so broad as to be meaningless. It's also just a Fox News talking point.

Real leadership is having the courage to tell people the truth...even when that "truth" isn't something the people want to hear.
Which President, while running for office, or in the white house, has done that?

If you feel there are, could you provide an example?...above just stating something like "I think Ike did"...or "Clinton did all the time"...for example

I totally agree with you that the path to the White House (and most elected office) in the modern political age has been paved with glib promises that politicians know they can't fulfill. The biggest mistake that the US has made as a nation is to fall in love with a perverted Keynesian economic policy that led the electorate to believe that the government could just keep on printing money, going further into debt while they increased entitlements.

I totally agree with you that the path to the White House (and most elected office) in the modern political age has been paved with glib promises that politicians know they can't fulfill. The biggest mistake that the US has made as a nation is to fall in love with a perverted Keynesian economic policy that led the electorate to believe that the government could just keep on printing money, going further into debt while they increased entitlements.
I don't think they thought that through...we just had it too easy from 1955-1995, and nobody cared.

Now that we can't afford it...people need to realize this

I find it fascinating that the GOP is screaming how the American public "has spoken" in this last election when less than one third of the voting population voted. That means that with the thin majorities they managed to buy spending in many cases 10 to 1 against their opponents that the REALITY is that they gained their new seats on the voices of 17 -18 per cent of the voting public. I'm no math doctrit but less than 20 per cent is a far cry from "America has spoken". In fact it is a bald faced lie...but then that's what the new GOP does isn't it. They are disgusting liars. Piss on every one of them.

I hate to point out the obvious, Huggy but when large segments of the electorate don't show up to vote...it in actuality IS a vote! If you're a Democrat or Independent and you're not happy with the direction that the progressives in charge are taking the country your choices are holding your nose and voting for a Democrat again...voting for a Republican...or not voting at all. A ton of voters chose the latter.

I don't think they thought that through...we just had it too easy from 1955-1995, and nobody cared.

Well...do you agree with me that we CAN'T afford it? Because if you do...then you need to start demanding intelligent and realistic government by people who grasp how we've painted ourselves into this corner.

I hate to point out the obvious, Huggy but when large segments of the electorate don't show up to vote...it in actuality IS a vote! If you're a Democrat or Independent and you're not happy with the direction that the progressives in charge are taking the country your choices are holding your nose and voting for a Democrat again...voting for a Republican...or not voting at all. A ton of voters chose the latter.

I agree it is a statement of sorts but certainly not one any politician can claim as support.

Well...do you agree with me that we CAN'T afford it? Because if you do...then you need to start demanding intelligent and realistic government by people who grasp how we've painted ourselves into this corner.
Yep, I agree, and any sane person would. But none of the politicians are trying to communicate the concept. Tea Partiers think they can do it by ONLY cutting things Democrats want. They say they want to cut it all, but they don't come out and say it. The people have said it, but the politicians can't, or they won't get elected.

I agree it is a statement of sorts but certainly not one any politician can claim as support.

Nobody is claiming all those voters not showing up as "support", Huggy but I think you'd have to agree that it IS indicative of dissatisfaction with the performance of the person they didn't vote for...which in this case was overwhelmingly Democrats. What's amusing to me is watching Barack Obama try to claim that the nearly 2/3's of the voters not showing up to vote somehow means that he still has a mandate for his policies. That's pure nonsense...

Yep, I agree, and any sane person would. But none of the politicians are trying to communicate the concept. Tea Partiers think they can do it by ONLY cutting things Democrats want. They say they want to cut it all, but they don't come out and say it. The people have said it, but the politicians can't, or they won't get elected.

I've always been a proponent of across the board cuts phased into effect. I do so for two reasons. First, I think there is so much waste in the Federal Government that there isn't an agency or program that couldn't save huge amounts of tax payer money if they were FORCED to do so. Secondly, I think if everyone has skin in the game...defense...social programs...etc...etc...then nobody can whine about the cuts being one sided.

Bottom line is this...we elect these people...and we are solely to blame if we don't have enough common sense to realize that someone's blowing smoke up our shorts when they make promises that are unfulfillable.

Nobody is claiming all those voters not showing up as "support", Huggy but I think you'd have to agree that it IS indicative of dissatisfaction with the performance of the person they didn't vote for...which in this case was overwhelmingly Democrats. What's amusing to me is watching Barack Obama try to claim that the nearly 2/3's of the voters not showing up to vote somehow means that he still has a mandate for his policies. That's pure nonsense...

I certainly do not agree that the lack of interest in voting a couple of weeks ago was a statement AGAINST any one individual either. Your back handed way of claiming support where none exists is not back handed at all...it is underhanded.

Barack Obama got his mandate when HE was elected TWICE. A hell of a lot more Americans voted FOR him than any of the individuals that recently won their seats in the Senate and the House.

What Americans have stated clearly and often is their contempt for the lack of co-operation in government. THAT lack of co-operation was MANDATED by the new leadership in the Senate at the time of Obama's election and innauguration. It, the gaurantee that he would fail, was reiterated upon his second election to his office.

The Republicans have done a very bad thing this last 6 years. They are an embarrassment to the spirit of American electorial proccess. They get no "claim" of any mandate...they are disgusting thugs that have stolen the American people's right to choose their president.

If I believed in a hell I would certainly wish you and your ilk go there and rot.

I certainly do not agree that the lack of interest in voting a couple of weeks ago was a statement AGAINST any one individual either. Your back handed way of claiming support where none exists is not back handed at all...it is underhanded.

Barack Obama got his mandate when HE was elected TWICE. A hell of a lot more Americans voted FOR him than any of the individuals that recently won their seats in the Senate and the House.

What Americans have stated clearly and often is their contempt for the lack of co-operation in government. THAT lack of co-operation was MANDATED by the new leadership in the Senate at the time of Obama's election and innauguration. It, the gaurantee that he would fail, was reiterated upon his second election to his office.

The Republicans have done a very bad thing this last 6 years. They are an embarrassment to the spirit of American electorial proccess. They get no "claim" of any mandate...they are disgusting thugs that have stolen the American people's right to choose their president.

If I believed in a hell I would certainly wish you and your ilk go there and rot.

Once again...I didn't claim support...I simply pointed out that huge numbers of voters that HAD voted for Democrats in 2012 didn't show up to vote for them this election. Somehow Barack Obama has taken THAT to mean that there is still some sort of "silent majority" that still supports progressive policy but just didn't feel like voting this time around. I find that to be laughable.

Since Harry Reid has been stacking up GOP House bills on his desk since the 2010 mid-terms I find it amusing that you only blame the Republicans for a lack of bi-partisanship in Washington. Might I remind you of Barack Obama's rather smug lecture to Republicans about elections having consequences...I won!...that took place in the first few weeks that he was in office? He had big majorities in the House and the Senate and he basically told the GOP to sit down and shut up. Hard to start your relationship with the opposition that way and then complain that they don't want to work with you when you take a "shellacking" two years later after essentially ignoring their views for two years.

I've always been a proponent of across the board cuts phased into effect. I do so for two reasons. First, I think there is so much waste in the Federal Government that there isn't an agency or program that couldn't save huge amounts of tax payer money if they were FORCED to do so. Secondly, I think if everyone has skin in the game...defense...social programs...etc...etc...then nobody can whine about the cuts being one sided.

Bottom line is this...we elect these people...and we are solely to blame if we don't have enough common sense to realize that someone's blowing smoke up our shorts when they make promises that are unfulfillable.
How is it a lefty like me, and I'm typical but a bit moderate...can agree with a righty like you?

I'll tell you.

Throughout our dialog we peeled away the layers of misconceptions that our respective political influences have created, and found we fundamentally agree on a desired outcome...if not the process as well.

How is it a lefty like me, and I'm typical but a bit moderate...can agree with a righty like you?

I'll tell you.

Throughout our dialog we peeled away the layers of misconceptions that our respective political influences have created, and found we fundamentally agree on a desired outcome...if not the process as well.

I'm a fiscal conservative, Toxic but I'm a results driven realist at heart. You're a "lefty" but you're also a realist. Common sense solutions are there to make things better for the country...it's time we elected people that understand that and get rid of the ones that don't.

I'll tell you.

I'm a fiscal conservative, Toxic but I'm a results driven realist at heart. You're a "lefty" but you're also a realist. Common sense solutions are there to make things better for the country...it's time we elected people that understand that and get rid of the ones that don't.
I guess that's where we dissagree....I get the impression you think Republicans will actually do that this time around. Or possibly they are more likely then Democrats to do so?.....correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the GOP, DNC, or the Tea Party will.

I'll tell you.

I guess that's where we dissagree....I get the impression you think Republicans will actually do that this time around. Or possibly they are more likely then Democrats to do so?.....correct me if I'm wrong.

Then they fail to act at their own peril, Toxic.

Would you agree with me that the #1 goal of our members of Congress is to get reelected? God knows they don't want to have to go back to having a REAL job! The voters may have actually started to send the message that they might not send their reps back to Washington if they don't stop being so dysfunctional. I don't know as the "blame game" is going to work like it has in the past. That is especially true for Republicans. The remaining Democrats are ensconced on the two very liberal coasts and what's left of the Rust Belt. I have more doubts about them being willing to compromise than the GOP at this point simply because they feel "safer" in their districts. As I said before...as long as we keep sending people to Washington that are dysfunctional then we're going to keep getting the same result.

The reason I'm more concerned about the Democrats willingness to "deal" is simply because they are led by a second term, lame duck President who seems to base most of his policies on a rather dogmatic agenda that isn't based in what will really work. Like I said before...it helps to have skin in the game and quite frankly President Obama has little at this point. The only thing that might prompt him to compromise would be if he was concerned about his legacy in office.

The reason I'm more concerned about the Democrats willingness to "deal" is simply because they are led by a second term, lame duck President who seems to base most of his policies on a rather dogmatic agenda that isn't based in what will really work. Like I said before...it helps to have skin in the game and quite frankly President Obama has little at this point. The only thing that might prompt him to compromise would be if he was concerned about his legacy in office.

That ship sailed several years ago when he discovered the repugs were serious when they promised to ruin his presidency.

I'm pretty certain Obama is just waiting till he is far less in the public eye so he can start his own campaign to ruin a few republicans lives.

If he was me I would be all about the vengence. No doubt he has access to every scrap of dirt on these useless fucks and is just waiting for a time when he can use it.

I'll tell you.

Then they fail to act at their own peril, Toxic.

Would you agree with me that the #1 goal of our members of Congress is to get reelected? God knows they don't want to have to go back to having a REAL job! The voters may have actually started to send the message that they might not send their reps back to Washington if they don't stop being so dysfunctional. I don't know as the "blame game" is going to work like it has in the past. That is especially true for Republicans. The remaining Democrats are ensconced on the two very liberal coasts and what's left of the Rust Belt. I have more doubts about them being willing to compromise than the GOP at this point simply because they feel "safer" in their districts. As I said before...as long as we keep sending people to Washington that are dysfunctional then we're going to keep getting the same result.
Agreed...but I'm not confident that any candidates currently running will do what needs to be done.

On a tangent...I'm always annoyed when new networks show colored maps of counties across the US, by red and blue counties. It is decieving in that there is so much red, as opposed to blue. It gives the impression of overwhelming support for red states (the GOP), and blue states (the DNC). That reinforces my opinion that the electoral college is obsolete. The logistical disadvantages of being rural in relation to the seats of power in Washington, and the prospect of newly forming states forming thier own independent countries...no longer exist. There remains no reason for 1 person in Montana to have a vote weighted equally to 30 Californians

Forum List

Back