What Happened to Church?

The preacher has to talk down to people and this surprises you?

You don't understand a frigging thing you ever read, and that surprises me not at all.
You just said it was like a Sunday school class. So he was talk8ng down to people. What don’t you get?

Why you think you're in any position to feel superior to any other living creature on Earth, and why you think anyone is interested in listening to you delude yourself about it.

And no, dear, he wasn't talking down to people. I would object to that, were it the case, but in this case I'm objecting because he actually didn't have any deeper revelation to offer. Man's halfway to ordination, and he's no more advanced in Christianity than a children's Sunday School class. I have a problem with that.

Admittedly, I've been very spoiled. Two of the three long-term pastors in my life routinely made reference to things like the meanings of key words in the original Greek text (or Hebrew, or Aramaic, or whatever was appropriate) and classical philosophy and theologians like Saint Francis de Assisi. At the very least, I would expect the guy to cross-reference to other relevant places in the Bible which explain what God DOES expect us to do, as Christians, about envy and covetousness.

I'm afraid, "Psychology Today tells us that envy is an emotion which occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it" is not really gonna cut it for me spiritually.
I bet you felt superior to everyone at that simpleton church.

I feel superior to most people as a general rule. Not really germane to the discussion.
So how are you going to find a church if they're all populated by simpletons?

So I was asking if Jesus' church/ministry had ushers strong arming people for money?

And I was answering, yet again, that this thread is not in any way about money, or about your pathological obsession with other people's money.

For the record, every time you try to drag the thread down your "But MONEY!" tangent, that is going to be the answer, so you might as well write it down somewhere so you can remember.
So he didn’t by your response. So why rip people off today? Should christ’s ministry be free? And what about poor people, I never see them at church.

:offtopic::290968001256257790-final:
Aren’t we talking about church and your inability to find one that meets your intellectual level?

No.
So you're not looking for a church at your intellectual level?

So god is a lonely loser and has to make up his own friends? Is that why you follow him? :lol:

Is there some part of "This thread is not about how much you hate God and think Christians are stupid" that you are having trouble grasping?
So back to church then, do you go to one of those creationist churches?

NOW what are you babbling about? What in the hell is "one of those creationist churches" supposed to mean?

Never mind. I decided I don't care. Here, figure it out for yourself.

Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Our Core Doctrines
I was into checking out the core doctrine but not in a long boring movie, got a link I can read?

So when is Jesus coming back? Soon?

:th_Back_2_Topic_2:
You holding your breath until Jesus comes back?

Is there some part of "This thread is not about how much you hate God and think Christians are stupid" that you are having trouble grasping?

NOW what are you babbling about? What in the hell is "one of those creationist churches" supposed to mean?

I was into checking out the core doctrine but not in a long boring movie, got a link I can read?

From what I've seen, you've been very patient with that person. It's kind of sad that someone would put that much time into childish trolling. Also it's kind of funny how a lot of atheists seem to be obsessed with God. :D
I'm agnostic as there is no proof either way for or against a god.

From what I've seen, you've been very patient with that person. It's kind of sad that someone would put that much time into childish trolling. Also it's kind of funny how a lot of atheists seem to be obsessed with God. :D

Hating God seems to be more of a religion to them than believing in God is to some Christians.
I'm trying to find some actual proof of god, and will accept god if i find some.

We're talking about church. What's this thread about anyways?

See above, re: no attention span.

There's an OP. Go read it, dimwit.
So I was asking if Jesus' church/ministry had ushers strong arming people for money?

And I was answering, yet again, that this thread is not in any way about money, or about your pathological obsession with other people's money.

For the record, every time you try to drag the thread down your "But MONEY!" tangent, that is going to be the answer, so you might as well write it down somewhere so you can remember.
So he didn’t by your response. So why rip people off today? Should christ’s ministry be free? And what about poor people, I never see them at church.

I thought you didn't go to church. Which time were you lying?
Pictures of people at church, news reports... you never see poor people or the down and out...

How much did they hit you up for that?

Bingo.

Religions that are based on a god are rip offs.

You pays your money and you never know if you really get to go to heaven.

Meanwhile, "christians" are working really really really hard to harm the very people they say their god and Jesus worked to help and to save.

The whole racket disgusts me.

But hey, the gullible are more than welcome to it.

So, what do you think has been happening to the church the last generation or so? You know, to actually address the topic and all.
Dull old schools churches are closing and Joel Osteen showbiz type churches are taking over. Mainly because most Christians are too stupid to contemplate something deeply. Ceci, amirite or amirite? :biggrin:

God made the universe with the conditions there at the beginning for humans to choose between good and evil. Free will is pointless if you don't have the option of being wrong.
An interesting point. Let YHWH know everything. Therefore he knows all that one will do. If what one will do is predetermined to the extent YHWH knows it, free will does not exist. But I don't think your post was on topic.

Last edited:
Well, we are told that God created mankind for companionship, so that's certainly an aspect. On the other hand, the universe is a rather large and complex endeavor for just that one purpose. Also, it's never been my experience of God that He does anything without multiple purposes being fulfilled.

It is my belief that there is a lot more going on here than just this one planet and the short little lives we live on it. I think there is an ultimate Purpose for which we are destined, and for which this life is designed to prepare us.

And no, I have absolutely no idea what that might be.
Is that on topic?

Hating God seems to be more of a religion to them than believing in God is to some Christians.
I'm trying to find some actual proof of god, and will accept god if i find some.
No. You’re not. You are here to subordinate religion, specifically Christianity, and to show disrespect to people of faith, specifically Christians.

See above, re: no attention span.

There's an OP. Go read it, dimwit.

Pictures of people at church, news reports... you never see poor people or the down and out...
Go to a church in a poor part of town. There will be poor people there. They don't have to make the news to exist. In fact, the Gospel has less appeal for those blinded to their own spiritual need by earthly wealth.

The bottom line here is that you've been fed and believe a false caricature of Christianity and your bias makes it impossible for you to see the truth.

No. You’re not. You are here to subordinate religion, specifically Christianity, and to show disrespect to people of faith, specifically Christians.
I make fun of you because you're a doofus, has nothing to do with your imaginary god.

I make fun of you because you're a doofus, has nothing to do with your imaginary god.
You are here to subordinate religion, specifically Christianity, and to show disrespect to people of faith, specifically Christians

Bingo.

Meanwhile, "christians" are working really really really hard to harm the very people they say their god and Jesus worked to help and to save.

So, what do you think has been happening to the church the last generation or so? You know, to actually address the topic and all.
Dull old schools churches are closing and Joel Osteen showbiz type churches are taking over. Mainly because most Christians are too stupid to contemplate something deeply. Ceci, amirite or amirite? [emoji3]

The prosperity gospel is a false teaching that is popular because people want God to be an ATM. Push the right buttons in the right order and the goodies fall into your lap. They don't like to hear that they're expected to be in relationship with a living God who expects them to live a certain way.

They want to control God. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Go to a church in a poor part of town. There will be poor people there. They don't have to make the news to exist. In fact, the Gospel has less appeal for those blinded to their own spiritual need by earthly wealth.

The bottom line here is that you've been fed and believe a false caricature of Christianity and your bias makes it impossible for you to see the truth.
But why are churches separated into poor ones and richer ones? Shouldn't you be helping your fellow man? Does church give you your weekly dose of "Im a good person" and then you go on ignoring everyone else?

I get that a lot. Funny thing is no one who does that is able to logically demonstrate his logic is flawed. It appears that militant atheists are not deep thinkers.
It is his assumptions that are flawed.

You are here to subordinate religion, specifically Christianity, and to show disrespect to people of faith, specifically Christians
I call you on your bullshit and you feel threatened, I get it.

Bingo.

Dull old schools churches are closing and Joel Osteen showbiz type churches are taking over. Mainly because most Christians are too stupid to contemplate something deeply. Ceci, amirite or amirite? :biggrin:

The prosperity gospel is a false teaching that is popular because people want God to be an ATM. push the right buttons on the right order and the goodies fall into your lap. They don't like to hear that they're expected to be in relationship with a living God who expects them to live a certain way.

They want to control God. It doesn't work that way.
No, it's the preacher who wants his flock to be like an ATM, so he caters to the lowest common denominator, and makes everyone feel loved.

And Ceci, say hi to Joel for me next Sunday. :biggrin:

But if treaties do not matter, and if there is no such thing as Right and Wrong--in other words, if there is no Law of Nature--what is the difference between a fair treaty and an unfair one?
The 'Law of Nature' here is a 'moral' law. Morals are community norms. This is demonstrated by the way moral behaviour differs as communities differ. Valid morals assist the survival of the community.

But if treaties do not matter, and if there is no such thing as Right and Wrong--in other words, if there is no Law of Nature--what is the difference between a fair treaty and an unfair one?
The 'Law of Nature' here is a 'moral' law. Morals are community norms. This is demonstrated by the way moral behaviour differs as communities differ. Valid morals assist the survival of the community.
Standards exist in and of themselves.

Forum List

Back