Zone1 What Is Baptism Of The Spirit?

Why does that matter? He gave you Biblical scriptures to prove his point. I would say though, being in paradise is not being in one of the glories of Heaven Paul wrote in first Corinthians chapter 15. Paradise is a waiting place where good people go to await their judgment and resurrection. So, baptism is still required. Thus 1Corinthians 15:29 becomes very important. Something almost all of Christiandome ignores. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not ignore.
It matters to me because there are a few denominations that believe baptism is necessary for salvation and I'm curious. The LDS is a cult.

Water baptism is a public confession of belief, faith, and repentance. The ceremony is completed by the 'laying on of hands' which confers the Holy Spirit.

And this.

Acts 19

1. And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
Are you a Jew? context is key. When a gentile is born again, He/She receives the Holy Spirit immediately.

I just gave you the BIBLE verse that says just the opposite of what you just wrote. See, if you do not have the faith to be baptized then you do not believe in Jesus Christ. You have rejected His words and thus rejected him. Why do you say the BIBLE, the BIBLE, we already have the BIBLE if you aren't going to accept what's in the BIBLE? Here we go:
Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;" Takes more than believing.
John 3:5, " Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he CANNOT enter into the Kingdom of God."
Acts 22:16, "And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord."
water baptism is an act. it doesnt get you to heaven; otherwise its a work. we are saved by grace thru faith- period. cannot add to it. water baptism is being obedient; but its not needed for salvation; I can show you about 30 verses that prove that.

Requiring anything in addition to faith in Jesus Christ for salvation is a works-based salvation. To add anything to the gospel is to say that Jesus’ death on the cross was not sufficient to purchase our salvation. To say that baptism is necessary for salvation is to say we must add our own good works and obedience to Christ’s death in order to make it sufficient for salvation. Jesus’ death alone paid for our sins (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus’ payment for our sins is appropriated to our “account” by faith alone (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9). Therefore, baptism is an important step of obedience after salvation but cannot be a requirement for salvation.

Are you a Jew? context is key. When a gentile is born again, He/She receives the Holy Spirit immediately.
When I was called, I didn't question baptism or the laying on of hands. I just submitted to the rituals of the church that have been handed down from the start. It's all good.

John 3:5
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In this verse Jesus tells us that unless you are baptized with water and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, you cannot enter into the kingdom of God. Baptism is an essential ordinance and so is the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of Hands by one having authority to perform those ordinances. For this reason Peter taught:

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Regarding works, works do not save us but they are required and we were born into this life to do good works. It is Jesus that sets the requirement that we must be born of the water and spirit before we can enter the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

You cannot even have a true faith without good works.

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Thus faith requires good works and it is by grace that we are saved through faith, but not of ourselves. The works are required but they do not save us. Jesus saves us through his atoning sacrifice but it is he that requires the works at our hands.

Ephesian 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

We are not saved by works but they are required for us to do.

It matters to me because there are a few denominations that believe baptism is necessary for salvation and I'm curious. The LDS is a cult.
Of course it is necessary. Jesus would not have said so if it weren't required. Even Jesus kept his own law to be baptized. Are you better than Jesus that you don't need it too? John 3:5 is enough to answer the question.
The organization the Jesus Christ formed during his 3 year ministry was a cult. So, LDS are in good company.

water baptism is an act. it doesnt get you to heaven; otherwise its a work. we are saved by grace thru faith- period. cannot add to it. water baptism is being obedient; but its not needed for salvation; I can show you about 30 verses that prove that.
Water baptism is an ordinance required to enter the kingdom of God. It is an act of faith necessary for salvation. At least according to Christ in John 3:5. As James said, faith without works is dead. That's because faith is an action word.
As far as versus that say we are saved by grace, saved from what? Grace is a gift from God. What is that gift and if you think you know, prove it.
The grace or gift is the resurrection of your body. In fact, all will be raised regardless of their faith. But, to enter into the kingdom of god, which is more than salvation, you have to be baptized properly and fully. To be exalted in the highest degree of glory Paul saw, the 3rd or highest Celestial part of heaven, you must be baptized, period.

I've heard this phrase before. Does it have anything to do with ceremonial baptism? Or is it something entirely different?
Anyone who dies to self will be blessed by the Holy Spirit with the light of truth. It's quite powerful. As is the Holy Spirit.

but actually its not.
But, actually it is. Water baptism is an ordinance required to enter the kingdom of God. It is an act of faith necessary for salvation. At least according to Christ in John 3:5. As James said, faith without works is dead. That's because faith is an action word. As far as versus that say we are saved by grace, saved from what? Grace is a gift from God. What is that gift and if you think you know, prove it. The grace or gift is the resurrection of your body. In fact, all will be raised regardless of their faith. But, to enter into the kingdom of god, which is more than salvation, you have to be baptized properly and fully. To be exalted in the highest degree of glory Paul saw, the 3rd or highest Celestial part of heaven, you must be baptized, period.

What denomination do you belong to?
I am a Christian..........I do not believe in denominations. I accept the Holy Scriptures only as doctrine, in a Sola Scriptura manner.
There is no authorization for "denominations" within the pages of the Holy Scriptures.

Christ founded but one church (Matthew 16:18). Christ is the head of the church and the one church is identified by His name, thus I am a Christian (Eph. 1:22-23)......the body, i.e., the church belongs to only one....Christ Jesus.

As head of the church/Kingdom of God....Jesus desired unity.......all citizens/members of the church/kingdom should be as one (John 17:20-21)

The scriptures teach that the Godhead consists of 3 beings; The Father, The Son, and the Holy Ghost. Yet, they are united in work, nature, and purpose; there is a complete ONENESS, to enter the kingdom/church Jesus declares the only method to be conveyed into the kingdom is to be baptized not only into Christ, but also in the name of the Father and the Holy Spirit (Matt.28:18-19)........the same for the tradition of a Christian family, the husband, wife and children are different people......but all should work for the common good and purpose as 1 family. (Matthew 19:6)

Denominations are the work of the god of this world........confuse, divide and conquer. Thus the only method to test the spirits is by calibrating your FAITH by the words inspired by the Holy Spirit of Truth.......that the world cannot receive (John 14:17). That is the only method to submerge one'self in the Holy Spirit, there is nothing supernatural about it, "Study to show yourself approved unto God; a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." -- 2 Tim. 2:15)

If you study and submerge yourself into the Holy Scriptures........what other spirit lives and resides within you, other than the Spirit of Truth, if you allow your life to be directed by the content of the Scriptures as provided to kingdom of God by the Holy Ghost?

There are only 3 gifts of the Spirit remaining today, "Faith, Hope, and Charity/Love.......with love being the greatest of the gifts........" -- 1 Cor. 13:1-13 The "perfect" has been completed, finished since the 1st century A.D........doctrine/faith has been delivered ONCE by the saints of the 1st century (Jude 3)..........through the knowledge revealed through Jesus and transmitted to men by the Holy Spirit of Truth as directed by Christ Jesus, God has given us EVERYTHING THAT PERTAINS TO LIFE AND GODLINESS........." -- 2 Peter 1:3

The perfect is the "perfect law of liberty".....i.e., the N.T. covenant of Christ Jesus (James 1:25)

Last edited:
But, actually it is. Water baptism is an ordinance required to enter the kingdom of God. It is an act of faith necessary for salvation. At least according to Christ in John 3:5. As James said, faith without works is dead. That's because faith is an action word. As far as versus that say we are saved by grace, saved from what? Grace is a gift from God. What is that gift and if you think you know, prove it. The grace or gift is the resurrection of your body. In fact, all will be raised regardless of their faith. But, to enter into the kingdom of god, which is more than salvation, you have to be baptized properly and fully. To be exalted in the highest degree of glory Paul saw, the 3rd or highest Celestial part of heaven, you must be baptized, period.
Nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified. (cf. Romans 3:28)
Even Christ Himself—in perhaps His most famous quote—denied the need for works to accomplish salvation: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life” (John 3:16

Nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified. Romans 3:28
Even Christ Himself—in perhaps His most famous quote—denied the need for works to accomplish salvation: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life” John 3:16

John 3 16.

Water baptism is an ordinance required to enter the kingdom of God. It is an act of faith necessary for salvation. At least according to Christ in John 3:5. As James said, faith without works is dead. That's because faith is an action word.
As far as versus that say we are saved by grace, saved from what? Grace is a gift from God. What is that gift and if you think you know, prove it.
The grace or gift is the resurrection of your body. In fact, all will be raised regardless of their faith. But, to enter into the kingdom of god, which is more than salvation, you have to be baptized properly and fully. To be exalted in the highest degree of glory Paul saw, the 3rd or highest Celestial part of heaven, you must be baptized, period.
Eph 2 8,9.

I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius. 1 Cor 1:14.

I am a Christian..........I do not believe in denominations. I accept the Holy Scriptures only as doctrine, in a Sola Scriptura manner.
There is no authorization for "denominations" within the pages of the Holy Scriptures.

Christ founded but one church (Matthew 16:18). Christ is the head of the church and the one church is identified by His name, thus I am a Christian (Eph. 1:22-23)......the body, i.e., the church belongs to only one....Christ Jesus.

As head of the church/Kingdom of God....Jesus desired unity.......all citizens/members of the church/kingdom should be as one (John 17:20-21)

The scriptures teach that the Godhead consists of 3 beings; The Father, The Son, and the Holy Ghost. Yet, they are united in work, nature, and purpose; there is a complete ONENESS, to enter the kingdom/church Jesus declares the only method to be conveyed into the kingdom is to be baptized not only into Christ, but also in the name of the Father and the Holy Spirit (Matt.28:18-19)........the same for the tradition of a Christian family, the husband, wife and children are different people......but all should work for the common good and purpose as 1 family. (Matthew 19:6)

Denominations are the work of the god of this world........confuse, divide and conquer. Thus the only method to test the spirits is by calibrating your FAITH by the words inspired by the Holy Spirit of Truth.......that the world cannot receive (John 14:17). That is the only method to submerge one'self in the Holy Spirit, there is nothing supernatural about it, "Study to show yourself approved unto God; a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." -- 2 Tim. 2:15)

If you study and submerge yourself into the Holy Scriptures........what other spirit lives and resides within you, other than the Spirit of Truth, if you allow your life to be directed by the content of the Scriptures as provided to kingdom of God by the Holy Ghost?

There are only 3 gifts of the Spirit remaining today, "Faith, Hope, and Charity/Love.......with love being the greatest of the gifts........" -- 1 Cor. 13:1-13 The "perfect" has been completed, finished since the 1st century A.D........doctrine/faith has been delivered ONCE by the saints of the 1st century (Jude 3)..........through the knowledge revealed through Jesus and transmitted to men by the Holy Spirit of Truth as directed by Christ Jesus, God has given us EVERYTHING THAT PERTAINS TO LIFE AND GODLINESS........." -- 2 Peter 1:3

The perfect is the "perfect law of liberty".....i.e., the N.T. covenant of Christ Jesus (James 1:25)
I agree with almost everything in your post. We disagree on salvation. My belief is salvation by faith alone. I believe baptism is necessary for a declaration of faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, but is not necessary for salvation.

Forum List

Back