What Is "Fair Share of Taxes"?

The SEC does not protect investments
People pay the patent office for their services
And poor people can use an airport just like anyone else

Now the so called rich send their kids to private schools even though their high property taxes go to public schools, The so called rich pay more in sales taxes that also go to state programs for the poor, they pay far more in income taxes which goes to fund social programs for the poor

So you see the so called rich do far more for the poor than you do

So you're saying they're not actually wealthy, just "so-called"? Please explain.

The idiots around here think that anyone who makes 100 K a year is rich

Who said that ? You are projecting.

so who is "rich " in your mind?

Depends . It's a relative term . I mean I can say someone like mitt Romney is a rich person.

But if I had to put at a floor . I'd say making $200k a year would put you in rich category . Now that depends on your debt n all.

What do you think is Rich?

10 million a year

I make over what you call "rich" and I don't consider myself wealthy

Really? $10 mill! Don't u think that's a high floor of rich .

What's your version of poor?

Can we get over this lie that 1/2 don't pay taxes ? Is a bullshit claim to disparage lower income people.

And in these fairness discussion , no one talks about services rendered . For example wealthy people benefit from more gov agencies than some low pay stiff .
It's not bullshit it is a fact and that is all it is

And the poor get way more benefits since they pay less for them or not at all

Really ? Are the poor using airports all the time , does the SEC protect their investments, does the patent office protect their intellectual properties ?

Now the so called rich send their kids to private schools even though their high property taxes go to public schools, The so called rich pay more in sales taxes that also go to state programs for the poor, they pay far more in income taxes which goes to fund social programs for the poor

So you're saying they're not actually wealthy, just "so-called"? Please explain.

The idiots around here think that anyone who makes 100 K a year is rich

Proof?

Really? $10 mill! Don't u think that's a high floor of rich .

What's your version of poor?

No I don't think that's too high

And to me you are only poor if you absolutely cannot work
Anyone who is able to work can work enough to support themselves

You people think it has to be done with one job and in no more than 40 hours a week

Is that so horrible . To think a 40 hr week could give u a livable wage ?

Tell me what other tax is based on ability to pay?

The gas tax nope
real estate tax nope
sales taxes nope
Any of the myriad of federal taxes on all kinds of shit nope

So why should income taxes be any different?

If you earn a dollar then that dollar should be taxed
And all dollars should be taxed at the same rate just like every gallon of gas is
Most of the free world taxes on ability to pay....try to keep up

Do you think a family making $18,000 a year should pay the same as someone making $10 million? Is that what you call fair?

So that's your answer?

What makes tax on an earned dollar any different than a tax on a gallon of gas or an acre of land?

And no they should not pay the same amount but they should pay the same percentage

Just like they pay the same percentage on a gallon of gas
Why should they pay the same percentage?
The first dollar you earn is much, much more critical to your survival than your millionth dollar

Why should they be taxed the same?

No it's not

A dollar is a dollar one is not worth more than another

But let's assume your answer applies to all taxes. Isn't the gallon of gas you use to get to work more important than the one used to drive to a strip club? So why not tax that gallon more?
When looking at a poor person. The first dollars they earn go to support their family. Right now that first dollar is tax free. You want that first dollar to only be 85 cents

I think everyone's first AND last dollars earned should be tax free. Eliminate federal income taxes entirely.

Do you think a family making $18,000 a year should pay the same as someone making $10 million? Is that what you call fair?

So that's your answer?

What makes tax on an earned dollar any different than a tax on a gallon of gas or an acre of land?

And no they should not pay the same amount but they should pay the same percentage

The first dollar you earn is much, much more critical to your survival than your millionth dollar

No it's not

But let's assume your answer applies to all taxes. Isn't the gallon of gas you use to get to work more important than the one used to drive to a strip club? So why not tax that gallon more?
When looking at a poor person. The first dollars they earn go to support their family. Right now that first dollar is tax free. You want that first dollar to only be 85 cents

I think everyone's first AND last dollars earned should be tax free. Eliminate federal income taxes entirely.

Ok. But how u gonna pay for stuff?

It's not bullshit it is a fact and that is all it is

And the poor get way more benefits since they pay less for them or not at all

Really ? Are the poor using airports all the time , does the SEC protect their investments, does the patent office protect their intellectual properties ?

But the poor ain't using the airport . Vs a wealthy person who flies all the time .

And those people that use airports fly for free do they?

So a plane ticket pays all costs of our aviation infrastructure and upkeep?

They should. There's no reason why the fed gov should be building airports.

So that's your answer?

No it's not

The fed gov collects taxes other than income taxes.

Also, what do you mean by "stuff", and why should I want to pay for it?

No it's not

Stuff? Well just name. Astronauts bridges nuclear submarines school I can just keep going on and on. Expect the country to run on smiles and sunshine?

No it's not

Stuff? Well just name. Astronauts bridges nuclear submarines school I can just keep going on and on. Expect the country to run on smiles and sunshine?

Well, bridges and schools don't require federal taxes, as they are state funded.

And as I said, the fed gov has other tax sources, namely excise taxes and tariffs, with which it can provide for a navy.

Astronauts can be cut, unless individual people really think they're necessary, in which case they can choose to fund the space exploration company of their choice. Taxes should go to governing, not exploring space.

It was like that before Obama care. Now you have to py Health insurance before you eat or put a roof over your head.
Why do you make shit up
Are you trying to say that buying health insurance is not mandated by law?
Medicaid was expanded for lower income workers. Except in red states
They turned it down to fix that Obama

How dare you help our poor people
Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the government forces you to pay for health insurance whether you can afford food or not.
If you cannot afford food you are eligible for Medicaid

Unless you live in a Red State...then you are screwed

Fair share? A percentage of real income above 30K a year. That means Binky and Chad don't get to hide the trust fund Grandpapa left them overseas. Fairly straightforward.
Admirable, but what happens then when you want to take more, but you've already assigned a "fair share"?

It was like that before Obama care. Now you have to py Health insurance before you eat or put a roof over your head.
Why do you make shit up
Are you trying to say that buying health insurance is not mandated by law?
Medicaid was expanded for lower income workers. Except in red states
They turned it down to fix that Obama

How dare you help our poor people
Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the government forces you to pay for health insurance whether you can afford food or not.
If you cannot afford food you are eligible for Medicaid

Unless you live in a Red State...then you are screwed
You're trying to deflect. Why is that?

Fair share? A percentage of real income above 30K a year. That means Binky and Chad don't get to hide the trust fund Grandpapa left them overseas. Fairly straightforward.
Admirable, but what happens then when you want to take more, but you've already assigned a "fair share"?

Why do you guys always assume there's a "more"? Fair share is fair share. Binky and Chad should pay at least the same percentage I do, because at least I'm working for mine. They're just sitting there drinking martinis and pestering the housekeeper.

"Fair share" only means one thing, more. That's why liberals will never set a value, because then they couldn't demand more and still hide behind "fair share".

I'd say setting a share is very difficult. I'm sure if you got a team working on how much things cost and how much people would have to spend, and how much they do spend etc, then you might get an idea. However this is very complex.
Even a generic answer is almost impossible to come by. The term really is something to hide behind and isn't really about fair at all.

So because you can't measure fair so easily, it should be as unfair as possible then?
How do you get that conclusion from that premise?

It's a question. I'm giving you the chance to explain yourself a bit more.

Well, bridges and schools don't require federal taxes, as they are state funded.

And as I said, the fed gov has other tax sources, namely excise taxes and tariffs, with which it can provide for a navy.

Astronauts can be cut, unless individual people really think they're necessary, in which case they can choose to fund the space exploration company of their choice. Taxes should go to governing, not exploring space.

Don't you get anything from exploring space?

I mean, without space exploration they'd be no satellites, that'd be GPS, a lot of communication systems etc

Space Age inventions you probably use - CNN.com

Cordless tools, smoke detectors, enriched baby food, protective paint, scratch resistant glasses and so on.

The reality is the government funds a lot of research into things. Businesses then pick up on these ideas later. The biggest are the pharma companies who won't do the risky research, the govt does it, and then the pharma companies then turn the successful research into profit making, and then whine and moan that they pay TOO MUCH TAX. Go figure.

With the attitude of "government should be paying for research" you'd be living like the Amish (well not quite, but you get the point hopefully).

"Fair share" only means one thing, more. That's why liberals will never set a value, because then they couldn't demand more and still hide behind "fair share".

I'd say setting a share is very difficult. I'm sure if you got a team working on how much things cost and how much people would have to spend, and how much they do spend etc, then you might get an idea. However this is very complex.
Which why the pols, and the government they represent, are incapable of formulating a reasonable solution. Career pols are incapable of complex thought. Any thought in excess of a 30-second sound bite exceeds their ability to process information.

Which why the pols, and the government they represent, are incapable of formulating a reasonable solution. Career pols are incapable of complex thought. Any thought in excess of a 30-second sound bite exceeds their ability to process information.

Pols being politicians or polish people? I'll assume the former.

Politicians often can think of complex thought, however they're looking at their career and not improving the country. Also, it's not the politicians job to make such a survey, but to commission such a survey.

Seeing as many politicians want to attract the attention of those people who can't think for more than 30 seconds, politicians don't see the point. They'd be better off making something up and then getting the people to agree to it, than to actually do the right thing.

But then the people vote these people in and the people make them work in this way.

]Obama keeps pushing his "fair share" of taxes in his speeches. What is fair? Fair is a relative term which means different things to different people. There is no set rule for what one thinks is fair. Is it fair that over forty percent of potential taxpayers pay absolutley no taxes at all? They probably think that is fair. But, do people who pay all the taxes think that is fair? Probably not! Is it fair that people who make more the a million dollars a year pay the largest portion of the federal income taxes? You probably think it is fair but they think they are already paying more than their fair share. So, you can see this is a fruitless debate. It all comes down to there is no way for the government to raise people in lower income brackets to higher ones. Each individual can only do that themselves. Since government can not raise these people to higher levels, in their misguided thinking the only thing they can do is knock the higher income people down as far as they can through tax rates. That at best is un-American and at worst tyrannical government.
Let's see...

If someone struggles to feed their family, pay the rent, pay the doctor bills.....is it fair that they have to use what meager income is left to pay the tax bill?

Is it fair that the wealthy pay a lower tax rate on investment income than someone pays through the sweat of their labor?

Is it fair for our wealthy to pay at the lowest tax rate in 70 years while we run up $19 trillion in debt?

Tell me what other tax is based on ability to pay?

The gas tax nope
real estate tax nope
sales taxes nope
Any of the myriad of federal taxes on all kinds of shit nope

So why should income taxes be any different?

If you earn a dollar then that dollar should be taxed
And all dollars should be taxed at the same rate just like every gallon of gas is

The first dollar you earn is taxed at a lower rate than the millionth dollar you earn. That first dollar is much, much more critical to you
not the same as someone making $10 million. How would that even be possible? The same percentage, absolutely. Imagine how things would change if that 45+% of the population had to give up a comparative percentage of their hard-earned income? They'd raise holy hell, that's what! But since most not only pay no taxes, they receive an unearned "rebate" (free money), they are more than happy and willing to be the shills of government, even demanding the extortion of taxes from others who earn a living.

Forum List

Back