Debate Now White Privilege and an Institution of Racism

Re racism, check all that you believe to be mostly true:

• 1. Persistent racism makes it necessary for black people to be a protected class.

• 2. Affirmative action and government programs to help black people are necessary to correct past wr

• 3. Politically correct language used by white people is necessary for e well being of black peopl

• 4. Black people are unable to achieve equality without government anti-racism programs.

• 5. Constant focus on racism works to keep racism alive and well.

• 6. Allowing a color blind society is the best way to make racism a non issue.

• 7. The war against racism as an institution has been won and we need to stop fighting it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
No two people are equal or ever will be equal. The Government cannot guarantee equal outcomes...sorry. :(

The hope of America was always the dream of equal opportunity. Whether you succeed or fail should be entirely up to you. If you fail, best not to blame mommy and daddy or people who happen to have a different skin pigment than you. :D
No, the government can't guarantee equal out comes. But the government can treat everyone equal under the law.

In this you and I completely agree. Thank you for stating what you think.

Ohhhh! You are one of those people who thinks that everyone has equal opportunity in this nation.

Now...THAT is cute.

Tell us what you think. As adorable as the one liners are....this is a discussion thread. Thanks. :)

Already have. My position is clear.

I am complete unclear because you haven't expressed what you think. Come on...don't be afraid. If you disagree you must state specifically why....otherwise it's meaningless. :) Seriously....it's okay. :smiliehug:

Read the thread It is all there.

I have. :) It's okay. If you don't want to stand up for what you believe I'm cool with it. I am not afraid to directly express what I think and why.

Nor am I afraid to debate it.

If this format is difficult or scary for you maybe left others discuss and you can just read. Thanks. :)

Oh look! You think I must repeat myself or I am admitting to being afraid of you. That's awesome.

No two people are equal or ever will be equal. The Government cannot guarantee equal outcomes...sorry. :(

The hope of America was always the dream of equal opportunity. Whether you succeed or fail should be entirely up to you. If you fail, best not to blame mommy and daddy or people who happen to have a different skin pigment than you. :D
No, the government can't guarantee equal out comes. But the government can treat everyone equal under the law.

Whoa! Bold.

Tell us what you think. As adorable as the one liners are....this is a discussion thread. Thanks. :)

I am complete unclear because you haven't expressed what you think. Come on...don't be afraid. If you disagree you must state specifically why....otherwise it's meaningless. :) Seriously....it's okay. :smiliehug:

I have. :) It's okay. If you don't want to stand up for what you believe I'm cool with it. I am not afraid to directly express what I think and why.

If this format is difficult or scary for you maybe left others discuss and you can just read. Thanks. :)

Oh look! You think I must repeat myself or I am admitting to being afraid of you. That's awesome.

Hon....do what you want. You are not saying anything. How can there be a debate when you will not debate? Understand?

Whoa! Bold.

Cute!!! :smiliehug:

Hon....do what you want. You are not saying anything. How can there be a debate when you will not debate? Understand?

I'm not your hon. I have already responded to your point in previous posts. Go back and read the thread. There is a lack of equal opportunity in this nation. How many sociological studies do you have to prove otherwise? I have several that I can point you to that support my contention. Want them?

You seek debate? I don't think so.

Good Point. I think much of the problem revolves around how we define racism and discrimination. Each term carries different meaning for different folks when discussing the subject. Discrimination can be recognition and understanding of differences. Racism can be the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race. However, these words also can mean something much more sinister and mean-spirited.

I remember an older black man when I was a kid saying, "I don't know how to define racism, but I sure know it when I see it."

Recent events in Ferguson caused people to wonder exactly how racist our local sheriff's department has been ... And an informal count in two categories was made for the previous calendar year.

Review of the records indicated that African Americans were 9 times more likely to be stopped, questioned and in rare cases ticketed while walking down the middle of the road.
The same review exposed that Whites were 10 times more likely to be stopped, questioned and in most cases ticketed for riding four-wheelers or dirt bikes on the public roadways.

Is that racism, even though the total number of stops were close to equal ... I don't think so?

Did the white people asked about whites and their stops by deputies think it was racism ... No.
Did the African Americans asked about African Americans and their stops by deputies think it was racism ... You bet they did.

When Blacks were denied the right to vote, access to public facilities, and lynched, we all recognized that as racism. Today racism is defined more by attitude, motivation, and facts that don't always come to the surface. In Ferguson, there has been plenty of racism and hostile acts on both sides so it becomes a shouting match about who is the most racist and the most hostile.

Let's don't minimize the benefit from caring people who can help level the playing field though.

There are some people who really do need a hand up. The person mired in addiction is unlikely to be able to overcome that without some help. The person who has no access to shower facilities or clean clothes, benefits greatly with help with that before he goes for the job interview. I was a physically and emotionally battered child. Could I have overcome the damage from that on my own, without positive role models and caring people who could help me unravel my feelings about that and put it behind me in my adult life? I don't know but I'm sure grateful that I didn't have to find out.

In every such case though, people are helped by others who recognize and provide what that individual person needs at the time they need it. They don't lump the 'needy' in with a whole demographic, they don't tell them they are victimized and therefore incapable of overcoming it, and race did not factor into it in any manner.

And like Black Sand eloquently pointed out, we all aren't equal in what we want, what we can do, what we will accomplish, or in how we take advantage of the opportunities we have. I had to accept that I am a champion music lover and competent amateur, but lack the skills to make a good living with music no matter how badly I wanted to. Writing an essay or speech or technical paper or telling a story comes as effortlessly to me as breathing while it is pure agony for another person. Some of us are professional quarterback material and most of us are not. My mother was as competent a seamstress as any professional making runway quality clothing every time she got out the sewing machine. I never got really good at putting in a zipper.

It is time we started looking at people as people instead of members of a race and I bet that would benefit just about everybody.

I have not exclaimed that "we are all the same." I don't think anybody else has said that either. Please try to read more carefully.

And how is pushing for us to do away with political correctness and all the focus on our differences and start treating everybody the same so that we do not divide ourselves along racial lines not being proactive?

McWhorter's essay illustrates how destructive and counter productive it is when we pretend we are addressing racism by emphasizing that we are different races. His point is that this actually perpetuates racism. How is he wrong?

Political correctness is a meme. I've never been politically correct in my life. You are in opposition to me here and you are claiming that your opposition is politically correct. I challenge you to point out examples of me being politically correct. Find one.

As I said earlier. WE ARE NOT THERE YET. We still need to bring MILLIONS of Americans to the realization that we are all equal IN SPITE OF OUR DIFFERENCES.

Duh!

I have not claimed that anything I have said here is politically correct. And everything you have posted so far is the politically correct position whether you recognize it as that or not. In order to have an objective discussion, it is not at all necessary for members to agree with each other's posted opinions, but it is necessary not to dishonestly misrepresent them.

And just as a reminder the question asked in the OP is:

Does a focus on 'white privilege' and racism as McWhorter describes it help or hurt black people? Please explain your 'yes' or 'no' answer or any position you take between 'yes' or 'no'.

McWhorter's entire essay suggests that keeping focus on our racial differences serves to reinforce racism rather than eliminating it. I believe he was writing to educate people on what needs to happen to make destructive racism go away. And that is what this entire thread and discussion is about. It is suggesting a proactive approach to deal with the issue.

Insisting that everybody else's opinions on that are crap and bullshit while misrepresenting my or other's position and/or not making any effort to rebut us or McWhorter is not useful nor is it in the spirit of the intent of the thread.

Show my politically correct statements. Explain to me how my position is politically correct.,

I will refer you to all your posts in this thread for your politically correct statements. You are certainly as entitled to your point of view as anybody else, but the idea that asking questions about race is racist or that it is the white man's responsibility to fix the problem of racism or achieve equality is the politically correct position. Demanding equality or else the whole system is racist and/or unfair or whatever is the politically correct position.

I never said asking questions about race is racist. I said that asking a question about race CAN BE racist. Want an example?

Why do negroes always vote for free stuff?

Get it? A question about race that is racist.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Political correctness plays no role in creating or ending racism.

What do you mean by free stuff?

Good Point. I think much of the problem revolves around how we define racism and discrimination. Each term carries different meaning for different folks when discussing the subject. Discrimination can be recognition and understanding of differences. Racism can be the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race. However, these words also can mean something much more sinister and mean-spirited.

I remember an older black man when I was a kid saying, "I don't know how to define racism, but I sure know it when I see it."

Recent events in Ferguson caused people to wonder exactly how racist our local sheriff's department has been ... And an informal count in two categories was made for the previous calendar year.

Review of the records indicated that African Americans were 9 times more likely to be stopped, questioned and in rare cases ticketed while walking down the middle of the road.
The same review exposed that Whites were 10 times more likely to be stopped, questioned and in most cases ticketed for riding four-wheelers or dirt bikes on the public roadways.

Is that racism, even though the total number of stops were close to equal ... I don't think so?

Did the white people asked about whites and their stops by deputies think it was racism ... No.
Did the African Americans asked about African Americans and their stops by deputies think it was racism ... You bet they did.

When Blacks were denied the right to vote, access to public facilities, and lynched, we all recognized that as racism. Today racism is defined more by attitude, motivation, and facts that don't always come to the surface. In Ferguson, there has been plenty of racism and hostile acts on both sides so it becomes a shouting match about who is the most racist and the most hostile.

It goes even deeper though. It is truly racist to deliberately reinforce the attitude that black people are too disadvantaged to help themselves and must see themselves as oppressed and screwed because white people have made them that way. In my opinion to reinforce that opinion is destructive, cruel, and evil. And that is pretty much what I believe McWhorter was getting at with his essay on mandatory "White Privilege" classes that in effect demand that white people learn to reinforce that opinion.

It goes even deeper though. It is truly racist to deliberately reinforce the attitude that black people are too disadvantaged to help themselves and must see themselves as oppressed and screwed because white people have made them that way. In my opinion to reinforce that opinion is destructive, cruel, and evil. And that is pretty much what I believe McWhorter was getting at with his essay on mandatory "White Privilege" classes that in effect demand that white people learn to reinforce that opinion.

Who does that? Name names.

Let's don't minimize the benefit from caring people who can help level the playing field though.

There are some people who really do need a hand up. The person mired in addiction is unlikely to be able to overcome that without some help. The person who has no access to shower facilities or clean clothes, benefits greatly with help with that before he goes for the job interview. I was a physically and emotionally battered child. Could I have overcome the damage from that on my own, without positive role models and caring people who could help me unravel my feelings about that and put it behind me in my adult life? I don't know but I'm sure grateful that I didn't have to find out.

In every such case though, people are helped by others who recognize and provide what that individual person needs at the time they need it. They don't lump the 'needy' in with a whole demographic, they don't tell them they are victimized and therefore incapable of overcoming it, and race did not factor into it in any manner.

And like Black Sand eloquently pointed out, we all aren't equal in what we want, what we can do, what we will accomplish, or in how we take advantage of the opportunities we have. I had to accept that I am a champion music lover and competent amateur, but lack the skills to make a good living with music no matter how badly I wanted to. Writing an essay or speech or technical paper or telling a story comes as effortlessly to me as breathing while it is pure agony for another person. Some of us are professional quarterback material and most of us are not. My mother was as competent a seamstress as any professional making runway quality clothing every time she got out the sewing machine. I never got really good at putting in a zipper.

It is time we started looking at people as people instead of members of a race and I bet that would benefit just about everybody.

Agree...but the desire for positive change must come from within. I have helped many people in my career.....but you cannot help anyone who is not willing to do the work to improve their lot in life.

The credit for someone who has made positive change happen in their life should first and foremost go to the individual. :)

That means they take responsibility for their life, an inventory if you will, and then act on it. Those things take courage, Foxy. A lot of courage.

Everyone knows the basics of American history. We all know the groups who were denied equal rights and not given a fair shake. But things do change. At some point those positive changes need to be acknowledged....and then....more importantly...be acted upon.

Since we are all pulling numbers and facts out of our asses here, let me offer some.

I owe 90% of my success in life to the fact that I:

was born the son of a two blue collar white Americans who had benefitted from the booming US economy of the 50's and 60's ( and the GI bill ).

was raised in a place that was safe, stable and upwardly mobile.

was EXPECTED to graduate HS and attend college.

never went a single day ( shit....a single hour, perhaps ) without nourishment.

had access to exceptional health care from day one.

in a society that placed no limits ( legal or cultural ) on me due to the color of my skin or my gender.

Yes. I was born on second base, if you will. I'm a lucky dude. Lots of people......a high percentage of which are black....just ain't so lucky.

Get that through your thick skulls.....and we might turn this bullshit "debate" into something meaningful.

Agree...but the desire for positive change must come from within. I have helped many people in my career.....but you cannot help anyone who is not willing to do the work to improve their lot in life.

The credit for someone who has made positive change happen in their life should first and foremost go to the individual. :)

That means they take responsibility for their life, an inventory if you will, and then act on it. Those things take courage, Foxy. A lot of courage.

Everyone knows the basics of American history. We all know the groups who were denied equal rights and not given a fair shake. But things do change. At some point those positive changes need to be acknowledged....and then....more importantly...be acted upon.

Hey, WQ.....you never responde to my earlier post. What's up? Not interested in the supporting evidence? That's impossible. You are all about evidence.

I couldn't agree more. Over the years as both vocation and avocation, I have done a lot of hands on face to face work with the 'disadvantaged' among us, both adults and kids. Some take whatever instruction or assistance is offered and do absolutely nothing with it. And that is extremely frustrating to those trying to help. Others take that hand up and accomplish amazing things. And as far as I am concerned, they get all the credit for doing so.

But the last poll option says, "The war against racism has been fought and won and it is time that we stop fighting it." Which is pretty much what I think McWhorter was saying. Instead of reinforcing the idea that black people have been screwed by white people, and instead of reinforcing that through these "White Privilege" classes, let's start promoting as a people and as a culture that it does take courage and determination and a will to do it, but everybody can do the best they can with the hand they are dealt. But it is up to them to do it.

Since we are all pulling numbers and facts out of our asses here, let me offer some.

was born the son of a two blue collar white Americans who had benefitted from the booming US economy of the 50's and 60's ( and the GI bill ).

in a society that placed no limits ( legal or cultural ) on me due to the color of my skin or my gender.

Yes. I was born on second base, if you will. I'm a lucky dude. Lots of people......a high percentage of which are black....just ain't so lucky.

Get that through your thick skulls.....and we might turn this bullshit "debate" into something meaningful.

Should you feel guilty because you were so lucky? Should others resent it that you were so lucky? Does it harm anybody else that you enjoyed good fortune? Should others resent you and blame you because you were born lucky and they were born less lucky? Is it your fault?

That too is in McWhorter's thesis. The less lucky can spend their whole lives feeling cheated that they were born less lucky than other people. In which case they will remain angry and resentful and unlucky their whole lives. And white people subjected to 'White Privilege" sensitivity training will reinforce them in being that way.

Or they can do what they need to do in order to become more 'lucky'.

Understood ... But what did you do to make the blacks unlucky?

We don't really care if you feel guilty for what your parents were gracious enough to give you .
We don't really care if you believe you would be incapable of succeeding in life without what they gave you.

We want to know what it is you did to make things worse for blacks.

Because to tell you the truth ... Being white does not guarantee you 3 square meals, the lack of hardships or a green light to success.
Perhaps your life has just been too soft and you have been too coddled to grasp the difference.

Should you feel guilty because you were so lucky? Should others resent it that you were so lucky? Does it harm anybody else that you enjoyed good fortune? Should others resent you and blame you because you were born lucky and they were born less lucky? Is it your fault?

That too is in McWhorter's thesis. The less lucky can spend their whole lives feeling cheated that they were born less lucky than other people. In which case they will remain angry and resentful and unlucky their whole lives. And white people subjected to 'White Privilege" sensitivity training will reinforce them in being that way.

Or they can do what they need to do in order to become more 'lucky'.

None of that. Especially not guilt. I just recognize it. And know that others don't necessarily start out in the same place. I think they should. It's that simple.

We don't really care if you feel guilty for what your parents were gracious enough to give you .
We don't really care if you believe you would be incapable of succeeding in life without what they gave you.

Because to tell you the truth ... Being white does not guarantee you 3 square meals, the lack of hardships or a green light to success.
Perhaps your life has just been too soft and you have been too coddled to grasp the difference.

I don't feel guilty. I feel fortunate.

You should feel guilty for lying earlier. Do you?

I don't feel guilty. I feel fortunate.

You should feel guilty for lying earlier. Do you?

I would feel guilty had I lied about anything. But I haven't so I don't.

Forum List

Back