Why Do Atheists Insist That Atheism Is Not A Religion?

Oh, and I can't help but mention that if you decided to become a Baptist because you 'saw no sense in our belonging to separate denominations' with your wife, it doesn't speak highly of the strength of your belief. So to you, having your beliefs labeled as something they are not may seem perfectly reasonable because you have little real attachment to those beliefs.

Most devout Christians are atheists when it comes to everyone else's gods.

It's funny how so many Christians want to demonize atheists as non-believers, when Christians share about 99% of the atheists' disbelief.
Apparently you don't understand the terms. Belief in any one or more deities precludes one from being an Atheist. Belief that deities do not exist makes one an Atheist.

Christians and Jews certainly have the same God. They just attach different details to Him. Christians think the messiah is His son, Jesus and that God is a trinity. Jews have the same God but think the messiah is yet to come. Muslims have the same God also. They call him Allah and think that He had no son and that pedophile, Muhammed was their prophet.

All three believe God created everything.

You've been listening to your Atheist mentors haven't you?

I see neither you nor Hollie has sense enough to stick to the topic of this thread.
Well, let's be honest. This thread is another with which to promote your hate and intolerance.

It's been explained to you both repeatedly and tediously that atheism is not a religion. Yet, you continue to screech it is, while unwilling to acknowledge that rational and reasoned conclusions that your polytheistic gods as well as gods of others are inventions of man's imagination.

You really appear quite desperate.
We've been here before, Hollie. I am not attempting to argue in this thread whether or not Atheism is a religion. I keep getting interrupted by adolescent assholes trying to hijack the thread. If you don't understand what is in the OP, don't post in this thread. It is that fucking simple.

I have no hate or intolerance for Atheists. I do think your incessant attacks on those that believe in God are reprehensible, but I do not hate you....and I fail to see how you can interpret a request for a list of benefits to Atheism attributed to its being considered not a religion can be inferred by you to embody hatred.

You see, Hollie, the motive for all the threads started in this forum by Atheists appears to be hatred of religion. I think that's why you may consider this one to be based upon hatred. It is not. I am merely looking for information to help me understand why you object to Atheism being called a religion. What good will come of its being redefined not to be? That you and NYC cannot fathom that simple fact tells me you are seriously lacking in the intelligence so touted by leading Atheists. You two appear to have less intelligence than any 3 year old child.
For someone who claims that he not attempting to argue whether or not Atheism is a religion, you're spending an inordinate amount of time repeating the same nonsense that atheism is a religion.

And BTW way, why are you suggesting that I'm "attacking " your polytheistic gods? I no more attack gods than I attack leprechauns or Bigfoot. If you feel so intimidated by those who conclude your gods are inventions of man, find some better gods.
The mistake theists make is to incorrectly perceive faith as 'fact,' and those free from faith 'rejecting' that 'fact,' manifesting an 'aberration,' when actually the opposite is true: theism is the aberration. Theists such as the OP compound their error by contriving the lie that those free from faith are engaging in a 'belief' that constitutes a 'religion,' which has been demonstrated to be completely false.

Moreover, unlike those free from faith, theists must labor to adhere to sanctioned religious doctrine and dogma, eschew facts and evidence that conflict with that doctrine and dogma, and adhere blindly to that religious doctrine and dogma lest one lapses into 'sin.'

Last, and again, we see the arrogance common to most theists, particularly when their errant and subjective beliefs are challenged by those free from faith, where the theist presumes to dictate to those free from faith that they 'practice' a 'religion,' when those free from faith in fact do not.

Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion, what benefits do Atheists expect to gain by having it declared not to be a religion?

Additionally, what harm comes to Atheists in having it declared to be a religion?

Please do not argue here whether or not Atheism is a religion.

I can only guess that if someone were to turn this around and ask, "Why do Christians insist that Christianity is a religion?", and insist that arguments about whether or not Christianity is a religion were not to be discussed, you would treat it with the scorn or laughter it would deserve.
I certainly would because the premise is ridiculous.:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

'The real question is "why is it that virtually without exception, the only people claiming atheism is a religion are fundie Christians".'

The nonsense that those free from faith 'practice religion' is a manifestation of the arrogance common to most theists in general and fundamentalist Christians in particular.
Wrong, Dufus. I am far from a fundie Christian. All Christians are not fundies.

It quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, and looks like a duck. Yet it says it isn't a duck... Odd.

'The real question is "why is it that virtually without exception, the only people claiming atheism is a religion are fundie Christians".'

The nonsense that those free from faith 'practice religion' is a manifestation of the arrogance common to most theists in general and fundamentalist Christians in particular.

It quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, and looks like a duck. Yet it says it isn't a duck... Odd.
A fundie Christian would be trying to "save" you. I care not what you believe one way or another. The main topic under discussion is Atheism and whether it is a religion or not. I tried in this thread to discuss the REASONS that Atheists do not want Atheism defined as a religion. It got side tracked several times into a discussion of whether Atheism is or is not a religion. None of what I've said here (or in my posts in Carla's thread "Atheism is NOT a Religion" ) constitutes any effort to get you to "take the Lord as your personal Savior". I really don't give a flying fuck whether you change your ways or not. That is not representative of being a fundie Christian. Both of these threads are simply exercises in discussion and the use of logic.

Atheism is a religion only if every belief is a religion; IOW if you apply the broadest definition/usage of the term 'religion' to the point where, for example,

someone who exercises every day, 'religiously', then becomes a follower of the religion of Exercise, a devout Exercisist,

then sure, you can make some sort of case that Atheism is a religion. But it's a silly meaningless case of fallacious ambiguity that has no place in a serious discussion about religion.

Atheism is a religion only if every belief is a religion; IOW if you apply the broadest definition/usage of the term 'religion' to the point where, for example,

someone who exercises every day, 'religiously', then becomes a follower of the religion of Exercise, a devout Exercisist,

then sure, you can make some sort of case that Atheism is a religion. But it's a silly meaningless case of fallacious ambiguity that has no place in a serious discussion about religion.
You first statement is errant.

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb
religiously (comparative more religiously, superlative most religiously)

1. In the manner of religion.
  2. Always.
    It is odd he gets so many cavities since he brushes his teeth religiously, every night, rain or shine.

A fundie Christian would be trying to "save" you. I care not what you believe one way or another. The main topic under discussion is Atheism and whether it is a religion or not. I tried in this thread to discuss the REASONS that Atheists do not want Atheism defined as a religion. It got side tracked several times into a discussion of whether Atheism is or is not a religion. None of what I've said here (or in my posts in Carla's thread "Atheism is NOT a Religion" ) constitutes any effort to get you to "take the Lord as your personal Savior". I really don't give a flying fuck whether you change your ways or not. That is not representative of being a fundie Christian. Both of these threads are simply exercises in discussion and the use of logic.

For someone that wants to encourage the use of logic you certainly didn't use much in this sentence. I can name like three or four times you contradicted yourself just now. And you're right, you're not a fundie Christian. What you are is an asshole.

Most devout Christians are atheists when it comes to everyone else's gods.

It's funny how so many Christians want to demonize atheists as non-believers, when Christians share about 99% of the atheists' disbelief.
Apparently you don't understand the terms. Belief in any one or more deities precludes one from being an Atheist. Belief that deities do not exist makes one an Atheist.

Christians and Jews certainly have the same God. They just attach different details to Him. Christians think the messiah is His son, Jesus and that God is a trinity. Jews have the same God but think the messiah is yet to come. Muslims have the same God also. They call him Allah and think that He had no son and that pedophile, Muhammed was their prophet.

I see neither you nor Hollie has sense enough to stick to the topic of this thread.
Well, let's be honest. This thread is another with which to promote your hate and intolerance.

It's been explained to you both repeatedly and tediously that atheism is not a religion. Yet, you continue to screech it is, while unwilling to acknowledge that rational and reasoned conclusions that your polytheistic gods as well as gods of others are inventions of man's imagination.

We've been here before, Hollie. I am not attempting to argue in this thread whether or not Atheism is a religion. I keep getting interrupted by adolescent assholes trying to hijack the thread. If you don't understand what is in the OP, don't post in this thread. It is that fucking simple.

I have no hate or intolerance for Atheists. I do think your incessant attacks on those that believe in God are reprehensible, but I do not hate you....and I fail to see how you can interpret a request for a list of benefits to Atheism attributed to its being considered not a religion can be inferred by you to embody hatred.

You see, Hollie, the motive for all the threads started in this forum by Atheists appears to be hatred of religion. I think that's why you may consider this one to be based upon hatred. It is not. I am merely looking for information to help me understand why you object to Atheism being called a religion. What good will come of its being redefined not to be? That you and NYC cannot fathom that simple fact tells me you are seriously lacking in the intelligence so touted by leading Atheists. You two appear to have less intelligence than any 3 year old child.
For someone who claims that he not attempting to argue whether or not Atheism is a religion, you're spending an inordinate amount of time repeating the same nonsense that atheism is a religion.

And BTW way, why are you suggesting that I'm "attacking " your polytheistic gods? I no more attack gods than I attack leprechauns or Bigfoot. If you feel so intimidated by those who conclude your gods are inventions of man, find some better gods.
The mistake theists make is to incorrectly perceive faith as 'fact,' and those free from faith 'rejecting' that 'fact,' manifesting an 'aberration,' when actually the opposite is true: theism is the aberration. Theists such as the OP compound their error by contriving the lie that those free from faith are engaging in a 'belief' that constitutes a 'religion,' which has been demonstrated to be completely false.

Moreover, unlike those free from faith, theists must labor to adhere to sanctioned religious doctrine and dogma, eschew facts and evidence that conflict with that doctrine and dogma, and adhere blindly to that religious doctrine and dogma lest one lapses into 'sin.'

Last, and again, we see the arrogance common to most theists, particularly when their errant and subjective beliefs are challenged by those free from faith, where the theist presumes to dictate to those free from faith that they 'practice' a 'religion,' when those free from faith in fact do not.
Amen! ;)

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb

2. Always.
    It is odd he gets so many cavities since he brushes his teeth religiously, every night, rain or shine.

fundamentalism definition

A conservative movement in theology among nineteenth- and twentieth-century Christians.Fundamentalists believe that the statements in the Bible are literally true.

Note : Fundamentalists often argue against thetheory of evolution. ( See Scopes trial.)

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb

2. Always.

It does in a figurative sense. Like people say, 'in Texas, football is a religion.' Is it really a religion? No. Figuratively speaking is it a religion? Yes.

This is what you are doing with atheism. You're trying to characterize it as literally a religion, just by trying to attach a few characteristics of it that are in common with religions,

mostly, in your case, saying both are religions because both have beliefs. That is a fallacious argument.

Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion, what benefits do Atheists expect to gain by having it declared not to be a religion?

Additionally, what harm comes to Atheists in having it declared to be a religion?

Why do Atheists insist Atheism is not a Religion?

For the same reason most sane people insist that a dog is not a cat.

Atheists do not believe in a lot of things.......god, Santa, flying monkeys, talking horses

None of which constitute a religion

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb

2. Always.

A conservative movement in theology among nineteenth- and twentieth-century Christians.Fundamentalists believe that the statements in the Bible are literally true.

Note : Fundamentalists often argue against thetheory of evolution. ( See Scopes trial.)
If you will bother to check back in my posts, I have many times stated that I believe in evolution. Also I've stated explicitly that I don't take the Bible literally. Check back on your own. I'm not doing your research for you, Dummy!

You and NYC are bound be vote liberal. Both of you are soooooooo uninformed! JESUS!

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb

2. Always.

If you will bother to check back in my posts, I have many times stated that I believe in evolution. Also I've stated explicitly that I don't take the Bible literally. Check back on your own. I'm not doing your research for you, Dummy!

You and NYC are bound be vote liberal. Both of you are soooooooo uninformed! JESUS!
You fundies do get angry when you're called out to account. You are the primary cut and paster of online dictionary definitions so, why so reactive when your cutting and pasting is met with similar cut and paste definitions?

What, you're embracing a double standard?

Amen! ;)
C Clayton above is wrong again. Atheists believe (based on faith) that there is no god. Therefore his entire post is bullshit.

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb

2. Always.

You fundies do get angry when you're called out to account. You are the primary cut and paster of online dictionary definitions so, why so reactive when your cutting and pasting is met with similar cut and paste definitions?

I didn't argue with your definition, dummy. I just stated that I do not resemble it.

Cutting and pasting has nothing to do with whether one is a fundie Christian or not.

Regarding the OP topic, you seem to think that making up your own definitions is more honest than researching and linking. Get fucking serious! If you'd bother to search for and post backup data to prove your claims, you might be convincing. Perhaps you're just too convinced of your self-sufficient, all inclusive knowledge of everything there is to know.

You're seemingly just pissed off that my linked references defeat your personal definitions of things.

Amen! ;)
C Clayton above is wrong again. Atheists believe (based on faith) that there is no god. Therefore his entire post is bullshit.

Etymology
religious +‎ -ly

Adverb

2. Always.

I didn't argue with your definition, dummy. I just stated that I do not resemble it.

Cutting and pasting has nothing to do with whether one is a fundie Christian or not.

Regarding the OP topic, you seem to think that making up your own definitions is more honest than researching and linking. Get fucking serious! If you'd bother to search for and post backup data to prove your claims, you might be convincing. Perhaps you're just too convinced of your self-sufficient, all inclusive knowledge of everything there is to know.

You're seemingly just pissed off that my linked references defeat your personal definitions of things.
Your high pitched screeching regarding your OCD-like obsession with those who reach conclusions regarding the futility of appeals to magic and superstition is causing all the dogs in my neighborhood to bark.

I can only guess that if someone were to turn this around and ask, "Why do Christians insist that Christianity is a religion?", and insist that arguments about whether or not Christianity is a religion were not to be discussed, you would treat it with the scorn or laughter it would deserve.
I certainly would because the premise is ridiculous.:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

But there's no hypocrisy there in your mind, is there?

Not at all. That Christianity is a religion is a accepted fact.

My question was related to the Atheists claim that "Atheism is NOT a Religion". Specifically I asked for reasons for this claim. This could be paraphrased as "Why do Atheists insist that Atheism is NOT a religion?"

For you to turn it back to me as "Why do Christians insist that Christianity is a religion?" is patently ridiculous. Almost everybody knows that Christianity is a religion.

Had you phrased it...."Why do Christians insist that Christianity is NOT a religion?" it would have been almost as silly because Christians do not claim that Christianity is not a religion. The answer would be simply, "They don't."

There's no hypocrisy in my voice....just laughter!

Not at all. That Christianity is a religion is a accepted fact.

My question was related to the Atheists claim that "Atheism is NOT a Religion". Specifically I asked for reasons for this claim. This could be paraphrased as "Why do Atheists insist that Atheism is NOT a religion?"

For you to turn it back to me as "Why do Christians insist that Christianity is a religion?" is patently ridiculous. Almost everybody knows that Christianity is a religion.

Had you phrased it...."Why do Christians insist that Christianity is NOT a religion?" it would have been almost as silly because Christians do not claim that Christianity is not a religion. The answer would be simply, "They don't."

There's no hypocrisy in my voice....just laughter!
Everybody knows that the traditions and theology of Christianity were largely stolen from Judaism.

Almost everybody knows that Christianity is a religion, due to the number of dead bodies left in its wake. That a common determining factor of religious faith.

Forum List

Back