Why I Am Not A Christian

Last time I checked the Catholic Church is considered Christian.

So that makes it represent all of christianity in your eyes? Like I've asked already and not been answered, does that make suicide bombers represent the teaching of all of Islam then?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the Catholic Church represents all of Christianity.

In the case of the pedophile priests you have bishops interpreting Church doctrine to mean they need to protect pedophile priests at all costs. That's the truth of how it was.

That's all well and good but it has nothing to do with Christianity, which is the teaching of the words of Jesus Christ.

I didn't say the Catholic Church represents all of Christianity.
In the case of the pedophile priests you have bishops interpreting Church doctrine to mean they need to protect pedophile priests at all costs. That's the truth of how it was.

Actually, yes you did...
Last time I checked the Catholic Church is considered a Christian denomination. It considers itself the original Christian Church. It's as Christian as you get.
...and that's not true at all.

Last edited:
Last time I checked the Catholic Church is considered Christian.

So that makes it represent all of christianity in your eyes? Like I've asked already and not been answered, does that make suicide bombers represent the teaching of all of Islam then?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the Catholic Church represents all of Christianity.

duplicate.

No, this thread is about why she rejected Catholicism, or are you all just going to continue to pretend they're one and the same even tho it's been pointed out ad nauseum they are not.

Last time I checked the Catholic Church is considered a Christian denomination. It considers itself the original Christian Church. It's as Christian as you get.

Jesus Christ and His teachings are the original Christian church. Why are you so hell bound to associate all of Christianity with the Catholic church?

You are confusing me with someone else. I am not 'hellbound to associate all of Christianity with the Catholic Church'.

How many times do I have to say that I respect Christ's teachings? Why are you so angry?

No it's not. At least not in my book. There are things that the Catholic church do that I seriously disagree with in regards to Christianity.

Good for you. The Catholic Church considers itself the orignal Church of the apostles.

It can consider itself whatever it wants too, that doesn't mean it's right.

Jesus Christ and His teachings are the original Christian church. Why are you so hell bound to associate all of Christianity with the Catholic church?

You are confusing me with someone else. I am not 'hellbound to associate all of Christianity with the Catholic Church'.

How many times do I have to say that I respect Christ's teachings? Why are you so angry?

I'm not angry at all, I just don't understand why you're so eager to paint the evil done in the Catholic church with all of christianity. You keep insisting on pairing them with just about every post you make.

I'm not angry at all, I just don't understand why you're so eager to paint the evil done in the Catholic church with all of christianity. You keep insisting on pairing them with just about every post you make.

I am pointing out that Madeline has valid reasons to reject Christianity based on her experiences.

You are ignoring the many posts I've made that are supportive of Christians and Christianity. Why is that?

I feel that I have every right to participate in this thread as someone who was raised a Christian and who, like Madeline, has chosen another path. We each were raised Catholics and left the Church and took up practices that work for us.

Can we be at peace with our differences?

Last edited:

I am pointing out that Madeline has valid reasons to reject Christianity based on her experiences.

You are ignoring the many posts I've made that are supportive of Christians and Christianity. Why is that?

She has valid reasons to reject Catholicism. None of the things that she's stated are true for many other christian churches and organizations, some may be true about the Catholic church, but that's about it.

I haven't ignored your posts, I've thanked you on several of them, and I appreciate the respect that you've shown.

She has valid reasons to reject Catholicism. None of the things that she's stated are true for many other christian churches and organizations, some may be true about the Catholic church, but that's about it.

I haven't ignored your posts, I've thanked you on several of them, and I appreciate the respect that you've shown.

Catholicism is the Christian religion of her childhood. Are you claiming that the Catholic Church isn't Christian?

Catholicism is the Christian religion of her childhood. Are you claiming that the Catholic Church isn't Christian?

Are you claiming that Catholic doctrine is the only christian doctrine?

As I've said, she's an adult now, she knows that what she grew up with in her childhood (if it's even true) is not what many christian churches represent today. So, why is there an apparent need to paint all of christianity with the catholic brush by some? I see dishonesty and an agenda at work.

As I've said, she's an adult now, she knows that what she grew up with in her childhood (if it's even true) is not what many christian churches represent today. So, why is there an apparent need to paint all of christianity with the catholic brush by some? I see dishonesty and an agenda at work.

No. I'm not claiming that Catholic doctrine is the only Christian doctine. I don't see anyone painting all of Christendom with the same brush, nor do I see dishonesty and an agenda at work.

Can we just agree to disagree?

No. I'm not claiming that Catholic doctrine is the only Christian doctine. I don't see anyone painting all of Christendom with the same brush, nor do I see dishonesty and an agenda at work.

The op and Mad are doing exactly that.

Precisely. And to some extent, Sky, you have as well as I pointed out earlier. Those are the misconceptions and preconceived notions that we are trying to address. Perhaps, if that hurdle is overcome, others could see what is being said in answering and defending Christianity as we view it.

Precisely. And to some extent, Sky, you have as well as I pointed out earlier. Those are the misconceptions and preconceived notions that we are trying to address. Perhaps, if that hurdle is overcome, others could see what is being said in answering and defending Christianity as we view it.

What I don't understand is why Christians feel they have to answer and defend against Madeline's experience. Here experience is her experience. It doens't represent all of Christianity or all Christians.

Like it or not, Catholics are Christians too. Some of what is taught in the Catholic Church, to view sexuality as 'sin' are mirrored in other Christian expressions. What is refreshing to me is when Christians talk about how their own experience of Christ's teachings is open and tolerant and loving. We could use a bit more of that on this thread. Show and be the contrast, Christians. It's a great opportunity to shine.

Why don't you go back an honestly address that post, or can't you?
Because you continue to put words in my mouth. You are not worth my time of day. You are a selfish prig who wants to hold onto her delusions at all costs. You are offensive to other posters. You try to derail threads and throw up red herrings. I have no respect for petty, not very original, very tiresome trolls like yourself.

Ditto. Don't go away mad, just go away. :tongue:
Sorry to put a damper on your glee. You don't make me mad. I"ve seen your act before. It's mediocre.

I have no intention of leaving this thread because of you.

Yes, you can. First, and YET AGAIN, the Catholic church does not represent ALL of Christianity. Second, people are not perfect. People sin. That does NOT condemn the teachings of Christ.
The Catholic church does not represent all of Christianity, as you say. but you must realize that it represents a large part of it for many people.

No, it does not. Perhaps that some of our frustration with this whole thread in that ALL of Christianity is painted with the broad strokes of the Catholic brush.
Catholics are among the most numerous of the Christian cults. Catholic teachings were also the foundations of many Protestant sects. I don't think it makes sense to deny the influence the Vatican has had on Christianity and how it is perceived. But if I was a non Catholic Christian I think I would get a little exasperated too when people just assumed the Vatican was the final word on what Christianity is.

What I don't understand is why Christians feel they have to answer and defend against Madeline's experience. Here experience is her experience. It doens't represent all of Christianity or all Christians.

Like it or not, Catholics are Christians too. Some of what is taught in the Catholic Church, to view sexuality as 'sin' are mirrored in other Christian expressions. What is refreshing to me is when Christians talk about how their own experience of Christ's teachings is open and tolerant and loving. We could use a bit more of that on this thread. Show and be the contrast, Christians. It's a great opportunity to shine.

That's what I have tried to do. To no avail. I am not defending Christianity against Madeline's experiences. Actually, I haven't addressed them directly. What I have attempted to do is to convey that not ALL Christian denominations fall under Catholicism. There is a difference and my defense is more of the generalization against that in the hopes to do what you just said - show that not all Christianity is Catholicism.

My apologies, Frank. The thread is now almost 70 pages long and to be honest, I don't recall your replies. I'd agree they most likely were not incendiary or I would.

So would you care to dialogue?

I see christianity as anti-female and anti-sexual; do you agree there's a problem in this regard?

No, I don't agree. You are generalizing that, based on your experience or perhaps your perceptions, that ALL of Christianity falls under the Catholic teachings. They do not. I never felt that how I was taught was "anti-female" at all in any way, shape, or form. As for "anti-sexual", I would not classify my upbringing as "repressed" or "anti-sexual", but simply something that was delegated to the family to convey and not for open discussion.
If something is "not for open discussion" how is that not repression?

My apologies, Frank. The thread is now almost 70 pages long and to be honest, I don't recall your replies. I'd agree they most likely were not incendiary or I would.

So would you care to dialogue?

I see christianity as anti-female and anti-sexual; do you agree there's a problem in this regard?

No, I don't agree. You are generalizing that, based on your experience or perhaps your perceptions, that ALL of Christianity falls under the Catholic teachings. They do not. I never felt that how I was taught was "anti-female" at all in any way, shape, or form. As for "anti-sexual", I would not classify my upbringing as "repressed" or "anti-sexual", but simply something that was delegated to the family to convey and not for open discussion.
If something is "not for open discussion" how is that not repression?

Because it's not being repressed, but left up to the parents to discuss it. It wasn't "demonized" nor projected as something "dirty", but a private subject because different children at different ages need it discussed.

Forum List

Back