Americans Buying AK47's Like They Are Going Out Of Style

Too Tall/Sniper -

I have absolutely no idea how many americans have been killed by AK47s. Do you?

Would you also mind explaining why it matters whether someone is killed with a Galil, M-16 or AK?

Why not discuss the real issue - of why so many Americans are killed in gun-related homicides?

The subject of the thread suggested that thousands of people buying AK47s was the cause of an increase in gun-related homicides. So, I wanted to know if the increase in deaths was in any way related to purchase of AK47s.

If not, say so.

There has been no jump in murders and those committed have been committed were for the most part not done with AK-47's and most definitely not by legally procured AK-47's.

What happened to the rate of murder involving rifles after the expiration of the 1994 "assault weapon" ban?
Anyone...? Anyone...?

What happened to the rate of murder involving rifles after the expiration of the 1994 "assault weapon" ban?
Anyone...? Anyone...?

But, but, but...THEY know what's best. THEY'RE experts!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U&feature=player_embedded]Carolyn McCarthy - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the worst part:

...the guns that most gangs and criminals where using to kill our police officers

And that statement, Mrs. McCarthy, is a lie.

According to a 1994 FBI report (Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted), 1% of police officers murdered were killed using “assault weapons.” In 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice did another study (Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers) and found zero instances...not a one.

That, Mrs McCarthy, doesn't make you just a liar. It makes you a lying sack of shit.

Anyone...? Anyone...?

But, but, but...THEY know what's best. THEY'RE experts!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U&feature=player_embedded]Carolyn McCarthy - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the worst part:

...the guns that most gangs and criminals where using to kill our police officers

And that statement, Mrs. McCarthy, is a lie.

According to a 1994 FBI report (Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted), 1% of police officers murdered were killed using “assault weapons.” In 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice did another study (Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers) and found zero instances...not a one.

That, Mrs McCarthy, doesn't make you just a liar. It makes you a lying sack of shit.
If you look just a little close at the DoJ studies, you'll find that more police officers are killed with their own service weapons than by 'assault weapons'.

Big Reb -

Given you have thus far to be unwilling to look at any facts or figures presented, regardless of the source, I don't see there is really anything to discuss.

I am sure it is very easy to dismiss anything you don't agree with out of hand, but it doesn't make for much of a discussion, and it isn't exactly what I'd called open minded.

the USA has a homicide rate 5 times that of Germany, more when compared with other, similar countries.
.. is a lie.

And again we see the same approach - avoid discussing facts, dismiss all evidence, and if all else fails just start throwing around words like "lies" and "bullshit" in lieu of an argument.

The facts are:

USA 4.2 homocides per 100,000

Germany 0.8 per 100,000

So the rate is actually MORE than five times.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Reb -

Given you have thus far to be unwilling to look at any facts or figures presented, regardless of the source, I don't see there is really anything to discuss.

I am sure it is very easy to dismiss anything you don't agree with out of hand, but it doesn't make for much of a discussion, and it isn't exactly what I'd called open minded.

Here are the facts

FBI — Crime Rates Fall in First Half of 2009

declining_crime_rates500.jpg

Individual crimes are also decreasing across the board:

Murder (down 10.0 percent);
Forcible rape (down 3.3 percent);
Robbery (down 6.5 percent);
Aggravated assault (down 3.2 percent);
Burglary (down 2.5 percent);
Larceny-theft (down 5.3 percent); and
Motor vehicle theft (down 18.7 percent).

Americans are afraid of this economy. As a result, they're getting locked and loaded. To wit: Jacquita Baker, a soft-spoken single mother from Kentwood, Mich., near Grand Rapids. She works as an administrative assistant at the Grand Rapids Urban League and is studying criminal justice at a local university. As of Monday, she's the proud owner of a shotgun. Why bear arms now? "The economy played a large part in my decision," says Baker, 27. "When people don't have jobs, they might go breaking into people's homes. I want to be safe in my home."

Read more: Boom in Gun Sales Fueled by Politics and the Economy - TIME
Now you can tuck your tail and walk away.

Big Reb -

Really, what are you on about?

Crime is decreasing - that is great. I never said it wasn't.

Again - Because you flat out refuse to look at any material posted, there isn't much left to discuss.

Big Reb -

Really, what are you on about?

Crime is decreasing - that is great. I never said it wasn't.

Again - Because you flat out refuse to look at any material posted, there isn't much left to discuss.

You have said more guns more homicides. The FBI stats I used said crimes went down in 2009 during the same time Gun sales went up.
More guns less crime.

BigReb -

The Harvard studies have been linked.

You refuse to look at them.

That's it.

BigReb -

The Harvard studies have been linked.

You refuse to look at them.

That's it.

Harvard link versus Federal Bureau of Investigation link.
Hummmmm. You do know what FBI stands for?

Big Reb -

BEcause you aren't comparing apples to apples. Lots of things explain the difference between Germany and the US.
Mexico has a murder rate probably 5 times that of the US. ANd guns are highly restricted there. Finland has a murder rate much lower. And guns are generally available.
There is no correlation between gun ownership and murder, because murder depends on cultural factors, not laws. This is the part you seem to miss.

Once again you right winger whack jobs can't admit the truth. Which the aversion to truth is the hallmark of the Republican party today.

Just tell it like it is. The bad guys have guns. The good guys (only rethugs) need to have guns as well. If there are more people who die from gun accidents, like kids finding dads gun and shooting themselves, then that is their bad luck.

If mentally unstable people can buy guns from private individuals to kill themselves and others, that is their bad luck.

If deranged people can buy guns and all the ammo they need to commit mass killings, that is the bad luck of the crowd which is being shot at.

If you gun nuts would just admit that you don't give a shit about what happens to innocent people killed with guns, as long as you have unrestricted access too any weapon you desire, at least I wouldn't find you all so repulsive. Or so full of shit.

Quit hiding behind the COTUS. Admit you don't really care what happens to others. Its all good. You got your guns. Why do you gun freaks go to all these convoluted arguments about second amendment rights. Admit you need guns because you are scared or think the guvmint is gonna get you. And whatever happens to someone else with guns is not your concern.

btw, I got my guns. I like guns. Grew up with guns. Am a responsible gun owner and a good shot. Still find the Rethug mindset about guns crazy.

Once again you right winger whack jobs can't admit the truth. Which the aversion to truth is the hallmark of the Republican party today.

Just tell it like it is. The bad guys have guns. The good guys (only rethugs) need to have guns as well. If there are more people who die from gun accidents, like kids finding dads gun and shooting themselves, then that is their bad luck.

If mentally unstable people can buy guns from private individuals to kill themselves and others, that is their bad luck.

If deranged people can buy guns and all the ammo they need to commit mass killings, that is the bad luck of the crowd which is being shot at.

If you gun nuts would just admit that you don't give a shit about what happens to innocent people killed with guns, as long as you have unrestricted access too any weapon you desire, at least I wouldn't find you all so repulsive. Or so full of shit.

Quit hiding behind the COTUS. Admit you don't really care what happens to others. Its all good. You got your guns. Why do you gun freaks go to all these convoluted arguments about second amendment rights. Admit you need guns because you are scared or think the guvmint is gonna get you. And whatever happens to someone else with guns is not your concern.

btw, I got my guns. I like guns. Grew up with guns. Am a responsible gun owner and a good shot. Still find the Rethug mindset about guns crazy.

Ironic post is ironic.

BEcause you aren't comparing apples to apples. Lots of things explain the difference between Germany and the US.
Mexico has a murder rate probably 5 times that of the US. ANd guns are highly restricted there. Finland has a murder rate much lower. And guns are generally available.
There is no correlation between gun ownership and murder, because murder depends on cultural factors, not laws. This is the part you seem to miss.

There is a correlation, and it has been proven by more than one study.

It is not really debatable at this point, and it's an area I feel gun supporters would be better to admit rather than pretend you can logically compare the US with Mexico, but not with Germany!

It makes perfect sense to compare the US with large, democratic, developed first world economies with multi-cultural populations.

That means Germany, France, Spain, the UK, Canada, and perhaps Australia, Holland and Austria.

It does not mean Mexico, Colombia, Russia or Iran.

When we make that comparison - and I can link the study again - the correlation is very clear and obvious.

There is a correlation, and it has been proven by more than one study.

It is not really debatable at this point, and it's an area I feel gun supporters would be better to admit rather than pretend you can logically compare the US with Mexico, but not with Germany!

It makes perfect sense to compare the US with large, democratic, developed first world economies with multi-cultural populations.

That means Germany, France, Spain, the UK, Canada, and perhaps Australia, Holland and Austria.

It does not mean Mexico, Colombia, Russia or Iran.

When we make that comparison - and I can link the study again - the correlation is very clear and obvious.
There is clearly no correlation. You cannot explain low murder rates in Switzerland and Finland, that have loose gun laws, with high murder rates in places with tough gun laws.
Heck, you can't explain why the murder rate is high in Chicago, which essentially bans handguns, but low in Dallas, where they are easily available.

Rabbi -

This isn't about what anyone has admitted...it's an excellent series of research documents which establish quite clearly links between gun posession and homicide, both internationally and domestically.

Once again you right winger whack jobs can't admit the truth.
What "truth" is that?
(This should be interesting)

Just tell it like it is. The bad guys have guns. The good guys need to have guns as well.
Truth.

If there are more people who die from gun accidents, like kids finding dads gun and shooting themselves, then that is their bad luck.
"More people"?
Like 800/year. Statistically, zero.

If you gun nuts would just admit that you don't give a shit about what happens to innocent people killed with guns...
... it would be a lie.

as long as you have unrestricted access too any weapon you desire
Strawman.

Quit hiding behind the COTUS.
Sorry that the constitution doesnt say what you want it to.
:dunno:

Forum List

Back