Biden on forgiving student loan debt

So if raising prices by forgiving loans is bad why isn't raising prices by low rates?
Who said it wasn't? Somewhat higher prices are one result of lower rates. But the lower rates are a symptom of a bigger problem. To wit: Americans dont have any gotdam money to buy shit.
Deficits no longer cause rates to rise, as we just witnessed for four years as the econ expanded before covid, so I don't see debt forgivenss as inflationary, although there are other reasons to not forgive it.

And I don't see why low rates would cause prices to rise .... unless the low rates spurred consumer consumption to cause demand to outstrip supply. And that is not happening .... unless we'd applied the tax cut to consumers rather than those with money to invest

U.S. House Prices Expected to Rise 5.7% More in 2021
But you are drawing a cause effect correlation. And 1 there was a drop in sales previously, so now there are more sales and refi's, and 2 there's nothing to show whether the reason for increased prices is due to people buying bigger houses because low rates keep payments low

RIght, low rates have nothing to do with rising home prices. (insert rollyeyes here)
Well, cute. But the cost of a home is the cost of the mortgage. ITS HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BUY THE HOME. Lower rates actually make the home less expensive in terms of how much house one dollar buys.

Spin it however you want. Forgiving college loans simply makes an education less expensive.
It actually will make an education more expensive but that's because government will be paying for it instead of private individuals. That's been the trend for the last forty years.

Just like low rates makes houses more expensive.
Thats a disengenuous argument... Low rates don't have a direct effect on housing prices. Low rates increase demand because more people will borrow. The increased demand is what drives prices up but that also means more people are buying homes, which is a good thing right?
All true. However, all parties eventually end. And then we see what happened in 2008: a lot of subprime loans at 95%+ LTV that left people "house poor" and underwater, creating incentive for people to walk away from their homes and loans. And it wasnt the little guys that caused the crash. The mortgages under $250K were a drop in the bucket.

Yes, I noticed during Trump they elongated it to thirty years, how in the hell do you know what the inflation rate with be in thirty years to make it worth it? Plus the fact that the debt has tripled by then
Yep! And a lot of people extend that long by virtue of repeated forebearance and income-driven repayment plans. Can't pay now? Fine...they will take your home and retirement and whatever else is left, when you die. And still probably take a loss.

So if raising prices by forgiving loans is bad why isn't raising prices by low rates?
Who said it wasn't? Somewhat higher prices are one result of lower rates. But the lower rates are a symptom of a bigger problem. To wit: Americans dont have any gotdam money to buy shit.
Deficits no longer cause rates to rise, as we just witnessed for four years as the econ expanded before covid, so I don't see debt forgivenss as inflationary, although there are other reasons to not forgive it.

And I don't see why low rates would cause prices to rise .... unless the low rates spurred consumer consumption to cause demand to outstrip supply. And that is not happening .... unless we'd applied the tax cut to consumers rather than those with money to invest

But you are drawing a cause effect correlation. And 1 there was a drop in sales previously, so now there are more sales and refi's, and 2 there's nothing to show whether the reason for increased prices is due to people buying bigger houses because low rates keep payments low

RIght, low rates have nothing to do with rising home prices. (insert rollyeyes here)
Well, cute. But the cost of a home is the cost of the mortgage. ITS HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BUY THE HOME. Lower rates actually make the home less expensive in terms of how much house one dollar buys.

Spin it however you want. Forgiving college loans simply makes an education less expensive.
It actually will make an education more expensive but that's because government will be paying for it instead of private individuals. That's been the trend for the last forty years.

Thats a disengenuous argument... Low rates don't have a direct effect on housing prices. Low rates increase demand because more people will borrow. The increased demand is what drives prices up but that also means more people are buying homes, which is a good thing right?

Really not my concern, but saying the same thing I did in a different way doesn't change anything.

All true. However, all parties eventually end. And then we see what happened in 2008: a lot of subprime loans at 95%+ LTV that left people "house poor" and underwater, cretatng incentive people to walk away from their homes and loans. And it wasnt the little guys that caused the crash. The mortgages under $250K were a drop in the bucket.
That situation was a whole different story which involved insane irresponsibility and corruption in the lending industry. Its incredible that more people weren't held to account. They really screwed over a lot of people. Also people acted like irresponsible idiots as well. Its reckless shit like that which ends up growing the power of government as they react by over regulating making it harder and more expensive for all of us to invest. But what else is there to do when the free market acts so irresponsibly?!

And who does everyone thing will be picking up the tab??

Why we tax payers of course.

If you want to go to college, get a job or a loan and go. Just don't expect the tax payers to pay your college bill for you.
The same people who pick up the tab when a big corporation bails and raids the retirement funds the govt. insures.

Then that makes everything okay? I’m tired of every stupid decision someone makes, we pay for. Trillions in debt, and those that promised to pay need to be held accountable and quit sponging off the working middle class.
I'm not meaning to promote debt but I am curious... How has the trillions in debt that our country has accumulated impacted your life?

It's going to. The rest of the world isn't going to allow us to print, print, print to buy new cars and vacation homes while they struggle with basic needs forever. It may not affect me but it's going to greatly affect future generations and as I note many times, it's not just about me.
I get the "its going to" argument but we have carried a national debt for generations. So my question is what actual effects have you felt in your lifetime as a result of the national debt?
Higher taxes. As the debt grows, so do the interest payments, and so does the need for additional tax revenue.
The main problem is the US govt. is only paying the interest and not the interest and the debt.
How exactly does the US Govt. pay the debt back? Who are they paying and when are payments due? Can you give a practical example?
Four Ways the United States Can Pay Off Its Debt

• Federal debt is at its highest point in American history.
  • Cutting spending and raising taxes can help reduce debt but jeopardize elected officials' popularity.
  • Raising taxes and cutting spending are the two most popular solutions for reducing debt.
  • Driving up the GDP can help reduce the debt-to-GDP ratio.
  • Diverting spending from the military to other sectors can boost job growth and help the economy.

If you want to go to college, get a job or a loan and go. Just don't expect the tax payers to pay your college bill for you.
The same people who pick up the tab when a big corporation bails and raids the retirement funds the govt. insures.

Then that makes everything okay? I’m tired of every stupid decision someone makes, we pay for. Trillions in debt, and those that promised to pay need to be held accountable and quit sponging off the working middle class.
I'm not meaning to promote debt but I am curious... How has the trillions in debt that our country has accumulated impacted your life?

It's going to. The rest of the world isn't going to allow us to print, print, print to buy new cars and vacation homes while they struggle with basic needs forever. It may not affect me but it's going to greatly affect future generations and as I note many times, it's not just about me.
I get the "its going to" argument but we have carried a national debt for generations. So my question is what actual effects have you felt in your lifetime as a result of the national debt?
Higher taxes. As the debt grows, so do the interest payments, and so does the need for additional tax revenue.
The main problem is the US govt. is only paying the interest and not the interest and the debt.
How exactly does the US Govt. pay the debt back? Who are they paying and when are payments due? Can you give a practical example?

So the debt doesn't matter? This has been asked 5-6 times at least with no answer.

Can you show the linkage? The debt and deficit went up at record levels under Trump and they cut taxes.
History did not start with TRUMP!. Since Reagan's big tax cut we've had several tax increases. And you do realize that deficit spending ultimately has to be covered by tax increases.

Really not my concern, but saying the same thing I did in a different way doesn't change anything.
I didn't say the same thing as you, I showed you why you were not being accurate. What we both said are very different. Do you not see that?

Main goals/elements to a healthy society and economy are to have as many people receive a good education so they can get good jobs and be more productive and also to promote home ownership. If lowering rates increases participation in education and home ownership then thats the point. If lowering rates just made things more expense without the element of increased demand then it would be a negative thing. To are trying to paint lower rates as a bad thing because it increases the expense but you leave out the increased participation and demand element. This is why you were being disingenuous

All true. However, all parties eventually end. And then we see what happened in 2008: a lot of subprime loans at 95%+ LTV that left people "house poor" and underwater, cretatng incentive people to walk away from their homes and loans. And it wasnt the little guys that caused the crash. The mortgages under $250K were a drop in the bucket.
That situation was a whole different story which involved insane irresponsibility and corruption in the lending industry. Its incredible that more people weren't held to account. They really screwed over a lot of people. Also people acted like irresponsible idiots as well. Its reckless shit like that which ends up growing the power of government as they react by over regulating making it harder and more expensive for all of us to invest. But what else is there to do when the free market acts so irresponsibly?!
And it is happening again right now, as we speak.

• Cutting spending and raising taxes can help reduce debt but jeopardize elected officials' popularity.
  • Raising taxes and cutting spending are the two most popular solutions for reducing debt.
  • Diverting spending from the military to other sectors can boost job growth and help the economy.
Interesting that you simultaneously say that cutting spending and raising taxes are popular while they jeopardize elected officials' popularity. What gives?

Unfortunately, congresscritters have shown themselves to be incapable of holding the line on new spending or to even attempt balancing the budget. The last Congress that even came close was headed up by Newt.

That doesn't answer my question. You listed some budgetary policy. I asked who exactly is being paid and for some examples of how and when they get paid... Do you know these things? in your own words

I didn't say the same thing as you, I showed you why you were not being accurate. What we both said are very different. Do you not see that?

Nope. We both argued that low rates have caused housing prices to rise. That this is hypocritical to your argument about education you are struggling to find a way around it.

Main goals/elements to a healthy society and economy are to have as many people receive a good education so they can get good jobs and be more productive and also to promote home ownership. If lowering rates increases participation in education and home ownership then thats the point. If lowering rates just made things more expense without the element of increased demand then it would be a negative thing. To are trying to paint lower rates as a bad thing because it increases the expense but you leave out the increased participation and demand element. This is why you were being disingenuous

Education loans remained high.

And you do realize that deficit spending ultimately has to be covered by tax increases.
Well let's hop in our time machines and go tell that to Saint Ronnie. The bill of goods that was Reaganomics has failed. The wealth has not "trickled down". In fact, it has done exactly the opposite and "trickled up". The actor turned bad actor Reagan got fooled by a lot of bad actors around him. Who could have seen this coming, besides every single economist in the 80s that wasn't also a conservative partisan?

So the debt doesn't matter? This has been asked 5-6 times at least with no answer.
That was my questions to YOU. Thats what started this whole conversation. I asked what actual real impact the debt has had on your life. What real and direct effects does it have on the economy that you or generations before you have actually felt. You have listed a few examples but what you've listed are directly tied to the debt.

That was my questions to YOU. Thats what started this whole conversation. I asked what actual real impact the debt has had on your life. What real and direct effects does it have on the economy that you or generations before you have actually felt. You have listed a few examples but what you've listed are directly tied to the debt.

All of it is tied to the debt. I've said that all along. Rates are low so we can pretend to be able to afford the debt.

Can you show the linkage? The debt and deficit went up at record levels under Trump and they cut taxes.
History did not start with TRUMP!. Since Reagan's big tax cut we've had several tax increases. And you do realize that deficit spending ultimately has to be covered by tax increases.
Why does it have to be covered by tax increases? There are plenty of theories that rely on economic growth to cover the deficit. There are others that don't think a growing deficit/debt as a bad thing. As long as money is flowing then thats how a national economy is supposed to function.

Why does it have to be covered by tax increases? There are plenty of theories that rely on economic growth to cover the deficit. There are others that don't think a growing deficit/debt as a bad thing. As long as money is flowing then thats how a national economy is supposed to function.

So debt doesn't matter?

All of it is tied to the debt. I've said that all along. Rates are low so we can pretend to be able to afford the debt.
What do you mean "afford" the debt? You know its not a credit card bill right? The national debt is not intended to ever be completely paid off, right? It is a system that is managed... it is very different that your household budgets

Forum List

Back