John McCain, American hero or otherwise?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
On the eve of McCain's departure from Congress, I see a lot of articles about McCain and his military and Congressional service.

So what say you? Is McCain an American hero, or otherwise?

I was reading an article form the Huffington Post back in the day when he was running for President, so this was back when the Left as trying to trash McCain because he was running against Obama for President instead of praising him like they do today because he hates Trump.

McCain's Secret, Questionable Record | HuffPost

The Article points out that McCain lived a life of privilege. He was at the bottom 1% of the class in Annapolis, but was inexplicably chosen to be a pilot anyway. Why? Cuz his daddy and grand daddy was a 4 star Admiral. Then he was shot down and captured as a POW. When he was released, there was some talk that he was given preferential treatment to be released over other POW's because of who his daddy was. Then it was rumored that McCain would never become an Admiral, despite his daddies influence, so he decided to become a US Congressman instead.

This article paints McCain as someone who is driven to try and live up to his father's success, someone who is more concerned about wealth and power and personal success than about service to his country.

Who here agrees?

He seems to display decency from time to time. But I've seen him be an asshole too.

"I have to tell you. Sen. Obama is a decent person and a person you don’t have to be scared of as president of the United States," McCain told a supporter at a town hall meeting in Minnesota who said he was “scared” of the prospect of an Obama presidency and of who the Democrat would appoint to the Supreme Court.

“Come on, John!” one audience member yelled out as the Republican crowd expressed dismay at their nominee. Others yelled "liar," and "terrorist," referring to Obama.

McCain passed his wireless microphone to one woman who said, "I can't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's not, he's not uh — he's an Arab. He's not — " before McCain retook the microphone and replied:

"No, ma'am. He's a decent family man [and] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign's all about. He's not [an Arab].

McCain: Obama not an Arab, crowd boos

On the eve of McCain's departure from Congress, I see a lot of articles about McCain and his military and Congressional service.

I was reading an article form the Huffington Post back in the day when he was running for President, so this was back when the Left as trying to trash McCain because he was running against Obama for President instead of praising him like they do today because he hates Trump.

The Article points out that McCain lived a life of privilege. He was at the bottom 1% of the class in Annapolis, but was inexplicably chosen to be a pilot anyway. Why? Cuz his daddy and grand daddy was a 4 star Admiral. Then he was shot down and captured as a POW. When he was released, there was some talk that he was given preferential treatment to be released over other POW's because of who his daddy was. Then it was rumored that McCain would never become an Admiral, despite his daddies influence, so he decided to become a US Congressman instead.

This article paints McCain as someone who is driven to try and live up to his father's success, someone who is more concerned about wealth and power and personal success than about service to his country.

Who here agrees?
He is a sad Benedict Arnold. Arnold was on his way to becoming one of the true heroes and would have been considered of the great contributors to the foundation of the country. Just a great military general and solider during that time in history.

Then, his treachery has made his name into a dubious adjective. Much like judas.

Who here agrees?
Completely tame, compared to what conservatives have said about him. Such a crutch for the idiots on the left, trying to adhere to facts and decency.

exactly like the rest of the BS RW conspiracy crapola, McCain was never broken by torture.

the same idiot that made that shit up was a moron that was spreading BIRTHER rhetoric .... AND FORMER FOX NEWS EMPLOYEE.

TRUMP DIDNT EVEN HAVETHE BALLS TO TALK TO A MILITARY RECRUITER, MUCH LESS SERVE HIS COUNTRY.

He was called Johnny wet start for a reason

130+ dead, 18 bodies were never found.

Last edited:

Who here agrees?

John McCain's academic record is of no interest to me other than to illustrate that sometimes the less than stellar students can still achieve much.

I won't disrespect Senator McCain's war record. Getting captured, imprisoned, tortured etc. did not make him a hero. What made him a hero was that the Viet Cong gave him a chance to leave by virtue of his high level family connections and he declined unless the others could leave with him. Smart or dumb, it was intended as a noble act and deserves credit as such.

For some time now I have found Senator McCain's politics to be wishy washy, muddled, and at times mean spirited, at times dishonest. He really would have been more suitable for the Democratic Party. But that does not take away from those things for which he can be commended.

Yes yes . He’s an example of white mans affirmative action.

I never cared for him , other than to laugh when he fights wh other GOP.

BUT, it’s disgusting how the self proclaimed pro troop patriot righties have turned on this guy because he rightfully has beef wh Trump .

Who here agrees?

John McCain's academic record is of no interest to me other than to illustrate that sometimes the less than stellar students can still achieve much.

I won't disrespect Senator McCain's war record. Getting captured, imprisoned, tortured etc. did not make him a hero. What made him a hero was that the Viet Cong gave him a chance to leave by virtue of his high level family connections and he declined unless the others could leave with him. Smart or dumb, it was intended as a noble act and deserves credit as such.

For some time now I have found Senator McCain's politics to be wishy washy, muddled, and at times mean spirited, at times dishonest. He really would have been more suitable for the Democratic Party. But that does not take away from those things for which he can be commended.
Reseach the USS Forrestal disaster and why his nickname is Johnny "wet start."

Thanks

Last edited:
So who IS a hero? People who just sign up for the military , police officer , or fire men and declared hero’s without needing some situation to justify hero status .

Here u have a guy who was shot down and a tourtured POW and that’s not good enough ??!

Who here agrees?

Reseach the USS Forrestal disaster and the role he played in it.

Thanks
You want her to look up the actual story or the fake one that Russian bots have hammered into your inferior little brain?

Who here agrees?

Thanks

who cares but idiots and morons - thanks

Last edited:
He seems to display decency from time to time. But I've seen him be an asshole too.

"I have to tell you. Sen. Obama is a decent person and a person you don’t have to be scared of as president of the United States," McCain told a supporter at a town hall meeting in Minnesota who said he was “scared” of the prospect of an Obama presidency and of who the Democrat would appoint to the Supreme Court.

“Come on, John!” one audience member yelled out as the Republican crowd expressed dismay at their nominee. Others yelled "liar," and "terrorist," referring to Obama.

McCain passed his wireless microphone to one woman who said, "I can't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's not, he's not uh — he's an Arab. He's not — " before McCain retook the microphone and replied:

"No, ma'am. He's a decent family man [and] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign's all about. He's not [an Arab].

McCain: Obama not an Arab, crowd boos

John McCain is a true Patriot of this country, and yes he is a hero.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
Yes yes . He’s an example of white mans affirmative action.

I never cared for him , other than to laugh when he fights wh other GOP.

BUT, it’s disgusting how the self proclaimed pro troop patriot righties have turned on this guy because he rightfully has beef wh Trump .

It was John McCain that after receiving the Dossier File from Christopher Steele turned it over to James Comey. Now you name any other Republican that would have done that, and maybe you'll make some sense out of what you're saying.

John McCain is a Patriot of this country 1st & foremost. He was the one that all along sent out the warnings on Trump.

A good book for you to read:

content

Not all Republicans are Bad, as not all Democrats are Bad, and believing otherwise is what has created the great divide in this country.

Who here agrees?

Thanks

The only thing McCain had do do with the Forrestal incident is that he was there. The evidence is that an inadvertent missile--nothing to do with McCain--struck the plane next to his and the resulting fire destroyed five (?) aircraft. (Working from memory here.) At the subsequent hearing McCain was unsure which plane was hit.

If he is to be criticized, it would be thirty two years later when he stated with specificity that it was his plane that was hit.

This article paints McCain as someone who is driven to try and live up to his father's success, someone who is more concerned about wealth and power and personal success than

There is a reason he had the nickname Johnny Wet start.

That is the point.

This article paints McCain as someone who is driven to try and live up to his father's success, someone who is more concerned about wealth and power and personal success than

That is the point.

I'm unfamiliar with that term and probably would not use it re Senator McCain. Or call him any other names for that matter. Several of the Vietnam POWs nicknamed him 'song bird', also used by the Democrats somewhat in the 2008 campaign when they made him into the most stupid, incompetent, dishonest, and unscrupulous asshole in the history of the world up to that point as they sought to destroy him so their candidate could be elected.

But now he hates the President as much as they do, so he's their knight in shining armor. It's hard to get away from "hypocritical" in such cases, but oh well. Such is the intellectually dishonest world of politics that we live with these days.

So who IS a hero? People who just sign up for the military , police officer , or fire men and declared hero’s without needing some situation to justify hero status .

Here u have a guy who was shot down and a tourtured POW and that’s not good enough ??!

What is not good enough is McCain looking the other way while veterans were put on secret death lists at the VA in Arizona.

The doctor who launched the VA scandal

You would think that Mr. war veteran would be their biggest advocate, but apparently he could have cared less.

For this reason alone, I have no respect for the man

That is the point.

I'm unfamiliar with that term and probably would not use it re Senator McCain. Or call him any other names for that matter. Several of the Vietnam POWs nicknamed him 'song bird', also used by the Democrats somewhat in the 2008 campaign when they made him into the most stupid, incompetent, dishonest, and unscrupulous asshole in the history of the world up to that point as they sought to destroy him so their candidate could be elected.

But now he hates the President as much as they do, so he's their knight in shining armor. It's hard to get away from "hypocritical" in such cases, but oh well. Such is the intellectually dishonest world of politics that we live with these days.
He is acting digracefully right now. Throwing shade at Palin, undermining the president every chance he gets. He has turned into a disgrace.

Forum List

Back