Trump wants to throw people in jail or take away their citizenship for burning the American flag

Donald Trump: Burn the flag, go to jail - CNNPolitics.com

I think he's just trolling, but what an irresponsible statement coming from the president elect.
Why is it irresponsible? He is graphically expressing a strong objection to burning the flag. I'll bet most Americans share his feelings about it.
Why is it irresponsible? Ever heard of the first amendment?

Since when is arson speech?
Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that invalidated prohibitions on desecrating the American flag enforced in 48 of the 50 states. Justice William Brennan wrote for a five-justice majority in holding that the defendant Gregory Lee Johnson's act of flag burning was protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Johnson was represented by attorneys David D. Cole and William Kunstler.

Texas v. Johnson - Wikipedia
So you are saying people shouldn't be allowed to disagree with Supreme Court decisions?

Only supreme court decisions he agrees with

I think he's just trolling, but what an irresponsible statement coming from the president elect.
Why is it irresponsible? He is graphically expressing a strong objection to burning the flag. I'll bet most Americans share his feelings about it.

Whats irresponsible about promoting facism??? You got to be kidding me.
In other words you have no idea what the word fascism means.

How low can you be when your best asset is your ability to troll as a POTUS? I think he is serious. However, he cant do anything.

You mean like Trump supporters are in your basket of deplorables?

I mean I totally agree with you on Trump. His flag burning comment is reprehensible in a free country. But I'm not a flaming hypocrite like you when I say it
Why would I be a hypocrite and what does Drumpf supporters being deplorables have to do with it?

What about wearing the flag on your head? This actually pisses me off.

f79af310360046b6ac53f0df7497e9fa.jpg

Why is it irresponsible? Ever heard of the first amendment?
In other words, you don't know why you think it was irresponsible.
Dont get mad because you didnt know trying to jail people for burning the flag was against the first amendment.

Whats irresponsible about promoting facism??? You got to be kidding me.
In other words you have no idea what the word fascism means.

So it's not fascist to throw citizens in jail for dissenting?

Having served proudly in the military going on 30 years I understand where Trump is coming from; however, I served all that time to protect the Constitutional rights of EVERYONE. THAT means I served to protect the Constitutional Right for some seditious, subversive, Snowflake who is calling for the overthrow of the govt and the assassination of President Trump to burn the American flag.

Freedom of speech means everyone's right to speak out is protected. Like it or not.

The Supreme Court has already decided that burning a flag is to be considered Free speech and is protected from prosecution by the likes of Trump.
"The First Amendment specifically disallows the abridgment of "speech" but the court reiterated its long recognition that its protection does not end at the spoken or written word."
Texas v. Johnson - Wikipedia

The right wing version of PC.

I hate to see the flag being burned, but I'll defend you if you do it.

Same as if you don't want to bake a cake.

So much for freedom of expression.
I'll never defend flag-burning.
I might buy you a ticket to Cuba if you don't like America.

What will that do if you buy someone a ticket to Cuba? When they come back from vacation they can just keep burning flags.

The right wing version of PC.

I hate to see the flag being burned, but I'll defend you if you do it.

Same as if you don't want to bake a cake.

So much for freedom of expression.
I'll never defend flag-burning.
I might buy you a ticket to Cuba if you don't like America.

What will that do if you buy someone a ticket to Cuba? When they come back from vacation they can just keep burning flags.
I think getting out of the US is an eye-opener for snowflakes.

Forum List

Back