USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hello everybody... I'm still around. Happily so too! Today was an interesting kind of day. I took the RV down to the dealer to have it winterized. Before I left the house, Mrs. BBD suddenly said that she would like to go. I said "Great. I'll even take you out to lunch when they finish up the winterization of the RV." So, off to Rockford we went. We got to the dealership and they carried it into the shop to begin to winterize it. Mrs. BBD said we should look at some Fifth Wheels to pass the time. So we began to look at them. To make a long story short, we no longer own the RV but we do own a very pretty fifth wheel that Mrs. BBD is in love with. I was going to buy a new truck next month but it looks like I need to move up the purchase of the new truck so I can haul the new fifth wheel home. I got an excellent deal on the fifth wheel and am having them add a tankless hot water heater so Mrs. BBD will be able to take her 45 minute showers she is so famous for. I got my tummy rubbed earlier this evening and she even scratched me behind my ears. It's been an interesting day.
Are you a sock?

Naw, he's pretty close to a charter member of the Coffee Shop and a really great guy. If you two haven't gotten to know each other you should because I know you would really like each other.

By the way Hossfly, how are you doing? Did you get to go to the gathering you were hoping to attend?
I've known BBD ever since I started posting. He's a great guy. I am in Willow, Kansas tonight on my way back to Cowtown. My session with the cardiologist wound up with me promising to quit smoking and walk more. I do have an EKG scheduled Wednesday. Had a great time with the buddies who were in my company 50 years ago in Vietnam. We're all getting old, deaf and toothless but in good spirits. You can remove me from the vigil. Many thanks. And a belated Happy birthday to you, young'n.

Hello everybody... I'm still around. Happily so too! Today was an interesting kind of day. I took the RV down to the dealer to have it winterized. Before I left the house, Mrs. BBD suddenly said that she would like to go. I said "Great. I'll even take you out to lunch when they finish up the winterization of the RV." So, off to Rockford we went. We got to the dealership and they carried it into the shop to begin to winterize it. Mrs. BBD said we should look at some Fifth Wheels to pass the time. So we began to look at them. To make a long story short, we no longer own the RV but we do own a very pretty fifth wheel that Mrs. BBD is in love with. I was going to buy a new truck next month but it looks like I need to move up the purchase of the new truck so I can haul the new fifth wheel home. I got an excellent deal on the fifth wheel and am having them add a tankless hot water heater so Mrs. BBD will be able to take her 45 minute showers she is so famous for. I got my tummy rubbed earlier this evening and she even scratched me behind my ears. It's been an interesting day.
Are you a sock?

Naw, he's pretty close to a charter member of the Coffee Shop and a really great guy. If you two haven't gotten to know each other you should because I know you would really like each other.

By the way Hossfly, how are you doing? Did you get to go to the gathering you were hoping to attend?
I've known BBD ever since I started posting. He's a great guy. I am in Willow, Kansas tonight on my way back to Cowtown. My session with the cardiologist wound up with me promising to quit smoking and walk more. I do have an EKG scheduled Wednesday. Had a great time with the buddies who were in my company 50 years ago in Vietnam. We're all getting old, deaf and toothless but in good spirits. You can remove me from the vigil. Many thanks. And a belated Happy birthday to you, young'n.

Where is Willow Kansas? Or do you mean Willow Springs? So happy you had a good time with old friends. I'm happy to take you off the vigil list but remember, we put you right back on the next time it might be useful.

Are you a sock?

Where is Willow Kansas? Or do you mean Willow Springs? So happy you had a good time with old friends. I'm happy to take you off the vigil list but remember, we put you right back on the next time it might be useful.
Willow is a section of the town of Colby. Actually we're in Colby but the section is called Willow.

12003333_3997877756983180_7474678717503282078_n.jpg

Are you a sock?

Willow is a section of the town of Colby. Actually we're in Colby but the section is called Willow.

Ah okay. I know where Colby is. I once drove all of the western two thirds of Kansas and Colby was the destination every now and then.

Fair is over here. Too bad the giant pumpkin fell and they had to cancel the giant pumpkin weigh-off.
My daughter and family are now in Okinawa. There's an open professorship at the University. Since I will not be moving South to Ft Lewis, I suppose I will apply for the position. Cross your hooks for me. I've been teaching as an adjunct for 15 years and that may tip the scales. The job is about 8-5, Mon-Fri, with summers and a month-and-a-half off. That will give me plenty of time to ship overseas and plague my daughter. AND...it's indoors!
Although I confess, since it has been dark at night, and clear, the Northern Lights (Aurora) have been spectacular. I will miss working graves.

I will definitely keep positive thoughts for you so that what will allow maximum joy for you is the outcome in all this. However, we don't always know what that is until we have it. And congrats on that weight loss. As soon as I have my blood work looking decent again, I'll be back on a more sensible diet hoping to shed a few pounds, but for now I have to push the nutrition, protein, etc. to get my system back in whack.
Good nutrition consists of good, fresh food, sensibly prepared. I've learned to not only do without sugary stuff, I don't crave it anymore, either. I've found that the biggest thing about losing, and keeping leaner, is to change your diet.
You know, joy can be found in many places and we are often responsible for whatever joy we find in our lives. I will dearly miss the time I might have had with my daughter and granddaughters, but with the schedule offered by the University job, I should have ample time to visit them in Okinawa.
How are you coming along, Foxy? I'm late to the discussion, as usual. I'll probably catch up shortly, though. I am wishing for all the best for you, good healing. And thank Hombre for his kind updates when we would all have worried.
Yes indeed. I finally decided to make permanent changes in what I eat, how much I eat and when I eat, and I have lost 15 pounds in the last 6 months. I'm knocking on 200's door, and I plan to get under that too. I'm back in my 36 waist jeans and feel lean, strong and full of energy. Funny how you feel lighter on your feet when you lose a bunch of weight. I should keep it off too, because I'm not going to go back to the bad eating habits I used to have.

They say you can break your diet one day a week though, but I find that still, I don't do over eat or eat too late. Like having a pizza and a can of pop is breaking my diet.
I've never been a big eater, my downfall is my schedule. Too many things, so little time. I end up eating in restaurants way to often, expensive but convenient, and I usually have at least two meals. Restaurant food is really bad, though. I did discover one of my old haunts has new menu offerings they call "Muscle Menus". 4 or 8 oz piece of beef or chicken and a steamed veggie side. The 4 oz portions are perfect for me. I usually stop there for their Greek salad the best blue cheese dressing evah! Guess I have a new favorite place.
I know what you mean about the changes in energy and agility. I went from a 40 in waist jean to a 32 an am determined to stay in that size. My job requires lots of climbing. One of the places I climb into is the electronics by of Boeing jets. That requires a ladder that gets you to about elbow level. It's been a struggle, but for the first time in years, I was able to lift myself with just my arms, kind of a press. It felt, great, I can assure you.
Good luck with your endeavor. As you have noticed, losing that weight is well worth the changes.
Holy cow, man, you really went to town, nice going. Yeah the changes I've made are permanent. I think the biggest help was the new rule, "past eight, it's too late," because I used to snack it up at night watching tv, sometimes right before I went to bed, and nothing can be worse for your waist line. So after eight o'clock, no matter what, I don't eat anything. Our hearts are thanking us, pard.
For most normal mortals, that "after eight rule" is a good one. Unfortunately, with my schedule, I end up eating, "grazing", small snacks and small portions throughout the night/day. I have started cooking my own chow and packing a lunch to work instead of making a quick stop at some fast food joint on the way in to work. Or making a late run to McD's (open 24 hrs at the airport) when hungry. One of our clients usually has some snacks and small airline meals available but they are usually unattractive enough to avert my interest. I'll cadge a small salad or an apple once-in-a-while, but that's what I limit myself to.
It's pretty funny sometimes...one of my colleagues at the University asked if it would be OK if he asked if I had lost weight. It's difficult to get to shut up about it, actually. Most people think if you lose weight it's because you are very sick, like with cancer, or something. For many of us, it's a sheer act of will to make the changes necessary. I can grasp my hands behind my back and my blood pressure has dropped to normal ranges, among so many other benefits. I'm like a born-again slender person (although I could still stand to shed a few pounds of excess body fat).
Just keep with it and you will be very pleased.

Are you a sock?

Small world, Hoss. I'm in Willow, Alaska.

Hunting was less than fruitful, but I made myself comfortable and enjoyed the balmy Fall weather, the golden sun as it slowly abandoned the forest, and watched for the twitch of an ear, or the glint of sunlight off an antler. Saw a couple of birds and a lot of bugs. Few mosquitos this year, but the no-see-ums were ferocious. One bit the side of my nose, another between my eyes. Now I have two bloody spots to daub until I staunch the blood flow!
Earlier, I took the goats "walkies". I met a nice couple camped up in the gravel lot adjacent to my place. While walking, a couple of people drove by. Everyone takes pictures of the goats. When anyone asks, I introduce myself as "Heidi". Lots of laughs with that one, you bet!

Looks like it's gonna be stormy for the next 3+ days, overcast, lots of rain and high humidity, well, high for this area. Feeling muggy now and it's only at about 55%, the only blessing is it's going to stay in the upper 70s, low to mid 80s over that period.
What's amazing is I actually slept for a full 8 hours last night, don't remember waking up even once. How I managed that I don't know but I like it....... :D

It has been really nice here. Only in the 60s-low 70s yesterday with a repeat of that today. I love summer and summer weather, but it is still nice to get a reprieve from the humidity that we've had all summer lonng. Lol. :)

We like lots of storage in the kitchen and all around the house but we are not modern traditionalists when it comes to kitchens, we love the old colorful retro look.

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg

I could appreciate these in other people's houses, but for us we are better suited to something more country, southwestern, rustic in earth tones:

937470b904e82f7457ec5356d254848e.jpg
IS17uygk5gdx3v0000000000.jpg
traditional-kitchen.jpg

Gorgeous! I like those too. Meh, I'm not so picky I guess. :lol: I would take any of these or any of the kitchens Ringel posted. All look really nice to me and much better than my tiny little kitchenette with hardly no storage space! :cheeky-smiley-018:

I refrigerate my produce....
I do like the pantry. I had a 3 1/2 x 8 foot laundry room off the kitchen. I moved the washer and drier to the garage and put in shelves.

I don't think it is possible to have too much storage. While I think whoever set up that shot was pretty clueless about kitchens or food handling, I do love the concept of the pantry built around the fridge and all the ways to organize it that are provided. You go to one location to get the ingredients for any recipe.

I usually keep carrots and things like that in the fridge. Tomatoes and fruits I will leave out if I expect they will be consumed in a couple of days. Otherwise they attract fruit flies, so I do keep them in the fridge if I am planning on having them around for any longer than a couple of days.

Too bright, too pastel! Especially that first turquoise one. :p
Color stimulates the mind.......... (beige is not a color, it's an abomination.......) :eusa_whistle:

But I don't see beige. I see earth tone accented with colors that change with the seasons, functional, aesthetically pleasing, and (for Montro) all would be as easy to clean as would be any other kitchen.
Light shade "earth tone" is a code for all shades of beige........ :D

But "beige" was a random thought, an add on not necessarily associated with the pictures you posted.

My problem with your retro kitchens you offered as examples is that every splatter, every scratch, every smudge would show up glaringly. In an earth tone kitchen you can get away with a few flaws for awhile until you have time to do necessary cleaning and repair. And the colors are so overwhelming and unable to be modified with other decor is I think I would tire of them quickly. But who knows? I haven't actually tried it.

When we bought our new kitchen stove we went with the smooth ceramic top. It also shows every splatter and smudge but at least is fairly easy to clean and once clean it is clean with no further maintenance needed. No discolored burners or cooked on junk on the drip pans to clean--no cleaning out spills under the drip pans. I didn't realize what messy cooks we were until we got it though. :)

The kitchen is one of the few rooms where people will generally accept a lot of black, I think that's the way to go! >:)

My upstairs bath is black and white, but it is like a Cape Cod theme with shells and things. I like it. :)

We like lots of storage in the kitchen and all around the house but we are not modern traditionalists when it comes to kitchens, we love the old colorful retro look.

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg
Too bright, too pastel! Especially that first turquoise one. :p
Color stimulates the mind.......... (beige is not a color, it's an abomination.......) :eusa_whistle:

But I don't see beige. I see earth tone accented with colors that change with the seasons, functional, aesthetically pleasing, and (for Montro) all would be as easy to clean as would be any other kitchen.

But "beige" was a random thought, an add on not necessarily associated with the pictures you posted.

My problem with your retro kitchens you offered as examples is that every splatter, every scratch, every smudge would show up glaringly. In an earth tone kitchen you can get away with a few flaws for awhile until you have time to do necessary cleaning and repair. And the colors are so overwhelming and unable to be modified with other decor is I think I would tire of them quickly. But who knows? I haven't actually tried it.

When we bought our new kitchen stove we went with the smooth ceramic top. It also shows every splatter and smudge but at least is fairly easy to clean and once clean it is clean with no further maintenance needed. No discolored burners or cooked on junk on the drip pans to clean--no cleaning out spills under the drip pans. I didn't realize what messy cooks we were until we got it though. :)

My ultimate stove/oven would be one of those big stainless gas stoves. I have an electric one right now with the old fashioned burners. Gosh, it must be filthy in there! I do a LOT of cooking. Lol. :)

The kitchen is one of the few rooms where people will generally accept a lot of black, I think that's the way to go! >:)

My preference is lighter cabinets, and I love blue with some yellow accents...bright and cheery.:)

Blue-and-Yellow-Kitchens-in-French-Styles-600x400.jpg

amusing-traditional-blue-and-white-kitchen-design-also-light-blue-wall-color-also-white-kitchen-island-and-kitchen-table-with-gray-granite-countertops-also-unique-pendant-lights-and-stainless-cooker.jpg

Pretty but not quite me. In southwestern décor it might look something like this:

a-KITCHEN-UPDATE-640x468.jpg

This one is nice too. Very rustic looking.

Harper's little sister Ellie was Baptized Sunday, so it was a busy weekend. It was held in a retirement community chapel as my son-in-law's grandma doesn't travel well. Very interesting watching the older folks take part in the service as getting very little people is not a normal occurrence in a retirement home.

Good weather will not last too much longer here, so I am trying to finish up a few landscape projects quickly. Also the piano finally moved out of our house. My step son and son-in-law had one end and I had the other. This will make any move on our part much easier, if we find a different house in 2016.

Are you a sock?

Small world, Hoss. I'm in Willow, Alaska.

It really is.
We live in Willowlakes a small little community outside of Benson. :)

Morning everybody !
I hope you all had a great weekend.

We will have rain all day today and tomorrow.
This little guy had a great idea to stay dry. :biggrin:

Enjoyable+Rainy+Day+SMS.jpg

Forum List

Back