What Are Conservatives Trying to Conserve?

Stupid question: What Are Conservatives Trying to Conserve?

Straightforward answer: The precepts of our Constitutional Republic and a government of limited and enumerated powers.

Yup, by gay bashing and trying to make their religion the law of the land, :rolleyes:

I am a conservative but I seek neither to bash gays nor impose ANY religion on anybody.

SOME so-called "social" conservatives have an agenda somewhat along those lines, occasionally. But you confuse those few for Conservatives in general.

Besides, since when did a bigot like you care about gay bashing? :rolleyes:

I am a true conservative, not a watered far right jackass who wants to live like idiots oi spaghetti western movies.

Yup, by gay bashing and trying to make their religion the law of the land, :rolleyes:

I am a conservative but I seek neither to bash gays nor impose ANY religion on anybody.

SOME so-called "social" conservatives have an agenda somewhat along those lines, occasionally. But you confuse those few for Conservatives in general.

I am a true conservative, not a watered far right jackass who wants to live like idiots oi spaghetti western movies.

You are a mindless bigot. You are not a conservative.

And you are also grunting in some incoherent alternative language.

But as for being an idiot, you are in denial. You ARE an idiot.

I am not a bigot and bigots are the fake conservatives who bash gays, blacks, women and poor people to score political points and gain the support of the rich and corporate America and use religion to divide.

This envy against federal workers is retarded, both sectors depend on each other, the private sector makes most of its money, its big money from contracts with the federal government so quit complaining about the hand that feeds you, we all have to pay taxes and have our money taken, I know fed workers who pay lots of taxes just like private sector workers and the private sector treats their workers like crap and don't give them great benefits, sick leave nd pensions, but thats your individual choice to work wherever the hell you want.
it's not envy

It's contempt.

U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Oath

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

5 U.S.C. §3331

That's funny. The fat slob of a government hack that manages the post office in my town is the last person I want protecting anything

Ira Glasser: What Are Conservatives Trying to Conserve?

In 1980 Reagan was elected, and the modern conservative political movement began, not as a protest, but as a hegemony. The lasting accomplishments of the Reagan years may have been the changes in the tax code and regulatory regimes that had prevailed for nearly a half century. But that was not what fueled his electoral success; what fueled his electoral success was the fundamentalist movement represented by Falwell, Pat Robertson and what came to be called the social agenda. Censorship of Kurt Vonnegut, Judy Blume and others, movements to pass "creationist" statutes that attempted to elevate the book of Genesis to a branch of science; hostility to the claims of gays, women and reproductive rights all combined to generate what began to be called "the culture wars." To a very demonstrable extent, I think, the conservative movement of the last 30 years (absent the economic issues of deregulation, also supported by Clinton and Robert Rubin and beyond the comprehension or the interest of most voters) may be seen as a panic response to a crumbling world and to the rights expansions of the '60s that struck like a tsunami, washing away all the prior governing arrangements. For these people, reality itself, or at least a reality where they felt in charge, was disappearing. As always, it was the symbols of these changes that were attacked: the federal courts, especially the Supreme Court, which (unelected) had rendered many of these decisions; the ACLU and Planned Parenthood, which had brought many of the cases or performed hated services; books and magazines and films; television and Hollywood and "eastern elites." When Pat Buchanan roared, in his quixotic presidential campaign, that "we" needed to "take back our country," he was talking about a country prior to the rights revolutions of the 60s, when people who looked and believed like him ruled the roost and did not have their powers limited by the rights we had won. What conservatives were desperately trying to conserve was not the values at America's origin (the Bill of Rights was, after all, ratified in 1791), but rather the privileges and powers of 19th century and early 20th century America. This is what has fueled the reactionary politics of the past three decades, and it is what we are seeing now in the Republican base and its candidates.

Can the forum say Amen? I do, conservatives aren't conserving anything that works to the good of all Americans.

They are trying to conserve the "good old days".

U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Oath

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

5 U.S.C. §3331

That's funny. The fat slob of a government hack that manages the post office in my town is the last person I want protecting anything

That's right because he represents me and all other federal workers and all private sector employees are hard working and better simply because they're not being paid by taxpayer money, :rolleyes: you're such a damn envious hater.

This envy against federal workers is retarded, both sectors depend on each other, the private sector makes most of its money, its big money from contracts with the federal government so quit complaining about the hand that feeds you, we all have to pay taxes and have our money taken, I know fed workers who pay lots of taxes just like private sector workers and the private sector treats their workers like crap and don't give them great benefits, sick leave nd pensions, but thats your individual choice to work wherever the hell you want.
it's not envy

It's contempt.

Yes, contemptuous envy for people you don't just because some partisan hack told you so.

I am not a bigot and bigots are the fake conservatives who bash gays, blacks, women and poor people to score political points and gain the support of the rich and corporate America and use religion to divide.

No. You most certainly ARE a bigot.

The balance of your idiot post is idiotic and gibberish.

No. You most certainly ARE a bigot.

The balance of your idiot post is idiotic and gibberish.

Whatever, you're just a pathetic, trolling Bass hater with a big mouth.

The government could contact those jobs out and get all the same work done for less money

First of all, untrue. Look at anything where third party companies are involved compared to direct government employees, and you'll find it always costs more, all due to the profit taken by the private company. That's why student loans have been taken away from the banks as middlemen.

Proof? You are seriously telling me that a federal employee costs less than a private employee? Wrong

Federal Government Pay Tops Businesses: CBO Report - ABC News

Compared with private sector employees, federal workers are paid about 16 percent more when benefits including health insurance, retirement plans and paid vacation are taken into account, according to a new report from the Congressional Budget Office.

Secondly, irrelevant even if it was true; it would still be the government spending resources to get a result, and your argument, if valid, would hold true either way. It doesn't, therefore it's NOT valid.

Yes the government would still spend money I never said the government wouldn't spend money did I?

But according to the CBO government employees are 16% more expensive than private sector employees.

I don't know about you but I think 16% is a significant savings.

Sorry but your post was facking stupid, you think contracting everything and giving private companies that money is going to lower costs but you're not aware of the politics of the politics that come with a federal employee as opposed to being a government contractor. Federal employees just like Bass showed take an oath and swear their allegiance to their country when they take a federal job, government contractors have an allegiance to the contractor they work for so if a contractor sees something that would cost the government less money and raise efficiency they are in most cases forbidden to tell the government by the contractor who pays them because while it saves the government plenty of money it doesn't make the company they're contracted from any money, they don't give two shats about saving the government any money they're all for making their company more money.

it's not envy

It's contempt.

Yes, contemptuous envy for people you don't just because some partisan hack told you so.

FYI I've dealt with government workers for years and I can state with absolute certainty that they as a group are the least productive bunch of slackers I've ever worked with.

it's not envy

It's contempt.

FYI I've dealt with government workers for years and I can state with absolute certainty that they as a group are the least productive bunch of slackers I've ever worked with.

You cannot because you have not dealt with federal workers, your a facking hater with contempt who ignores that much of the same shat goes on in the private sector at an even bigger level. You're made because you had to pay higher taxes and you're looking for someone to blame and take out your shatty frustration on. Hi hater!

The most important things for Conservatives to conserve are:

-) The freedom of individuals and groups (religious, political, cultural, economic, etc.) versus an over-active state.

-) The essential fabric of Society.

You cannot because you have not dealt with federal workers, your a facking hater with contempt who ignores that much of the same shat goes on in the private sector at an even bigger level. You're made because you had to pay higher taxes and you're looking for someone to blame and take out your shatty frustration on. Hi hater!

You have no idea which government agencies state or federal I used to have to deal with. And if anything the federal hacks are even worse than the state hacks.

BTW are you ever going to answer my question as to what percentage of your income you pay in taxes or not?

You have no idea which government agencies state or federal I used to have to deal with. And if anything the federal hacks are even worse than the state hacks.

BTW are you ever going to answer my question as to what percentage of your income you pay in taxes or not?

You have no idea what the fack you're talking about, you have contempt for all federal employees based on a few handful that you don't like and the fact that you pay taxes, what facking ever, I got no time for you and your whining jealous rants.

Ira Glasser: What Are Conservatives Trying to Conserve?

In 1980 Reagan was elected, and the modern conservative political movement began, not as a protest, but as a hegemony. The lasting accomplishments of the Reagan years may have been the changes in the tax code and regulatory regimes that had prevailed for nearly a half century. But that was not what fueled his electoral success; what fueled his electoral success was the fundamentalist movement represented by Falwell, Pat Robertson and what came to be called the social agenda. Censorship of Kurt Vonnegut, Judy Blume and others, movements to pass "creationist" statutes that attempted to elevate the book of Genesis to a branch of science; hostility to the claims of gays, women and reproductive rights all combined to generate what began to be called "the culture wars." To a very demonstrable extent, I think, the conservative movement of the last 30 years (absent the economic issues of deregulation, also supported by Clinton and Robert Rubin and beyond the comprehension or the interest of most voters) may be seen as a panic response to a crumbling world and to the rights expansions of the '60s that struck like a tsunami, washing away all the prior governing arrangements. For these people, reality itself, or at least a reality where they felt in charge, was disappearing. As always, it was the symbols of these changes that were attacked: the federal courts, especially the Supreme Court, which (unelected) had rendered many of these decisions; the ACLU and Planned Parenthood, which had brought many of the cases or performed hated services; books and magazines and films; television and Hollywood and "eastern elites." When Pat Buchanan roared, in his quixotic presidential campaign, that "we" needed to "take back our country," he was talking about a country prior to the rights revolutions of the 60s, when people who looked and believed like him ruled the roost and did not have their powers limited by the rights we had won. What conservatives were desperately trying to conserve was not the values at America's origin (the Bill of Rights was, after all, ratified in 1791), but rather the privileges and powers of 19th century and early 20th century America. This is what has fueled the reactionary politics of the past three decades, and it is what we are seeing now in the Republican base and its candidates.

Can the forum say Amen? I do, conservatives aren't conserving anything that works to the good of all Americans.

The Bill of Rights........

Forum List

Back