what is different between republican and conservative ?

Did you know that one of the first "liberal" parties (classical liberalism) was actually QUITE conservative and believed in small government and less taxation? Also social liberties and freedoms. Isn't that fascinating?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/classical_liberalism.htm

You'll call me a liar, but I recall a time when republicans and democrats actually got along. They actually ACHIEVED things for this country because they all had one thing in common - fiscal responsibility and patriotism. So much for the "good old days".

That was just before Neut Gingrich and Tom Delay took control of the republican party. Things turned to shit with their unethical leadership of the GOP and have gone down hill since.

Did you know that one of the first "liberal" parties (classical liberalism) was actually QUITE conservative and believed in small government and less taxation? Also social liberties and freedoms. Isn't that fascinating?

You'll call me a liar, but I recall a time when republicans and democrats actually got along. They actually ACHIEVED things for this country because they all had one thing in common - fiscal responsibility and patriotism. So much for the "good old days".

That was just before Neut Gingrich and Tom Delay took control of the republican party. Things turned to shit with their unethical leadership of the GOP and have gone down hill since.

You know, if you want to be full of shit, that's your business. But please don't throw it around me. I ain't sniffing it.

You know, if you want to be full of shit, that's your business. But please don't throw it around me. I ain't sniffing it.

I understand. You would prefer to keep your head in the sand. Only a little research on your part will show I'm right.

Not really fascinating since the lived in the era of the Monarchy, the absolute example of authoritarianism. What thinking person under such a government wouldn't want its power and influence reduced?

Not really fascinating since the lived in the era of the Monarchy, the absolute example of authoritarianism. What thinking person under such a government wouldn't want its power and influence reduced?

I mean fascinating in the history of the parties, the original beliefs, how they've split, etc.

Calling out the poster as full of shit is not a rebuttal, it's an ad hominem and thus a foolish comment without substance.

A Republican is one who is a member of the GOP. A conservative is a far right member of the GOP.

There are conservative Democrats.

And conservatives are right wing, not far right wing.
And to make the issue even more confusing, all conservatives are not conservative on all issues just as all liberals do not support all liberal causes. Although you wouldn't know it from reading USMB posts, many liberals and conservative, actually share the same beliefs.

I mean fascinating in the history of the parties, the original beliefs, how they've split, etc.

Well then, mea culpa

Calling out the poster as full of shit is not a rebuttal, it's an ad hominem and thus a foolish comment without substance.

Give credit where credit is due. Flagg is wrong this time, but nobody knows more about shit than he does, and his opinion should be heard. I would call him a shit expert.

Seems to me the difference between "Republican" and "conservative" is essentially the same as "Democrat" and "progressive".

The "conservatives" and "progressives" are on the wings.

A Republican is a member of a political party.

A conservative is on the right wing of the political belief spectrum.

Sometimes, there is overlap.

There is 100% overlap. Can you name one self proclaimed conservative who would ever vote Democratic?

Well, I voted for Clinton in 96. He seemed to do a good job, and he worked with Repubs (whether he wanted to or not doesn't matter. He did, and that's all that counts.) Voted for GHW Bush in 92, but everyone who voted for Perot may as well have just voted for Clinton in that election. Was pissed at all the Perot voters, but he wasn't the horrendous political evil that many Repubs claimed him to be.

To answer your question, Bulldog... I know of a BUNCH of "self-proclaimed" conservatives that wouldn't vote for a Democrat, BUT, if the Republican choice is a lemon, they don't vote for them either.

Republican are those that ascribe to the party and their platform. Conservative is an Ideology that believes in small government, not increasing taxes and believe that all able bodies people should contribute to the economy by working and not using the welfare system as a career choice.

I have a question for you....when are you Iranians going to drag the dictator mullahs out into the streets and hang their asses?
when american going to drag the tea party member and fan out into the streets and hang their asses :biggrin:

I have a question for you....when are you Iranians going to drag the dictator mullahs out into the streets and hang their asses?
when american going to drag the tea party member and fan out into the streets and hang their asses :biggrin:

We don't hang people here anymore. :)

No, but you did threaten to kill me the other day.

We don't hang people here anymore. :)

No, but you did threaten to kill me the other day.

But I wasn't go to do it by hanging!!! Do you think I'm some kind of barbarian?

Forum List

Back