White House Confirms It's Purging Disloyal Employees 'From the Bowels of the Federal Government

Trump...as usual...conflates loyalty to the country (or the office of the president) with loyalty to him, personally. Perhaps that should be fealty.

Can't recall this sort of things happening before. I wonder if this means combing Facebook and private lives?

White House Confirms It's Purging Disloyal Employees 'From the Bowels of the Federal Government'

The White House this week confirmed it is combing through federal agencies to identify employees not sufficiently loyal to President Trump to facilitate their ouster, sparking concerns the administration could run afoul of long-established civil service laws.

The administration is examining employees throughout the government to find anyone taking action officials decide represents an effort to undermine Trump, White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said on Fox News Monday. Gidley did not specifically mention career employees, who are statutorily protected against political retaliation, but did note the “millions” of individuals agencies employ. By contrast, there are only about 4,000 political appointees in government.

“It’s not a secret that we want people in positions that work with this president, not against him, and too often we have people in this government—I mean the federal government is massive, with millions of people—and there are a lot people out there taking action against this president and when we find them we will take appropriate action,” Gidley said.

His comments followed reports in Axios that the administration maintains “deep state” hit lists of employees to fire and the president has tasked the head of the Presidential Personnel Office, Johnny McEntee, to purge “bad people” who are not loyal to him. The latter report mentioned only political appointees, who serve at the pleasure of the president and can be dismissed at will, but Gidley’s comments this week appeared to go further.

“Time and time again we see in the media reports from people in the bowels of the federal government working against this president,” he said.

Gidley added that unelected federal workers were pushing “their own selfish political agenda” rather than advancing and executing Trump’s.

The latest comments do not mark the first time the Trump administration has stretched the limits of what is allowable under civil service protections. The number of federal employees proving their agencies took prohibited personnel practices against them reached an all-time high in Trump’s first year in office, according to the Office of Special Counsel. The State Department’s inspector general released two reports this year finding that the department illegally engaged in the political targeting of career employees. Federal law prohibits agencies from discriminating against any employee on the basis of political affiliation, or for any federal official to “coerce any applicant or employee to engage in political activity, or to retaliate against such individuals based on partisan politics.”
What did you think he/they meant when when referring to abolishing "the deep state"...these are all imbedded employees who keep an eye on the lefts enemies and are guarded by rules that protect them from dismissal for most any reason...if you were going to spy on your opponents what better way could be had?...if trump gets his way "the deep state" will be history and liberals will lose their real power, the ability to litigate away their opponents.

There is no such thing as "deep state". Those employees (not political appointees) are people that have served under multiple administrations - conservative and liberal, Republican and Democrat. Only Trump seems to be having any problems.
Do you have a list of said employees and why fired, or just assume the worst of Trump and best of those fired?

I'm going by the article in the OP. And of course I assume the worst about Trump - he has yet to let me down.

Trump...as usual...conflates loyalty to the country (or the office of the president) with loyalty to him, personally. Perhaps that should be fealty.

Can't recall this sort of things happening before. I wonder if this means combing Facebook and private lives?

White House Confirms It's Purging Disloyal Employees 'From the Bowels of the Federal Government'

The White House this week confirmed it is combing through federal agencies to identify employees not sufficiently loyal to President Trump to facilitate their ouster, sparking concerns the administration could run afoul of long-established civil service laws.

The administration is examining employees throughout the government to find anyone taking action officials decide represents an effort to undermine Trump, White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said on Fox News Monday. Gidley did not specifically mention career employees, who are statutorily protected against political retaliation, but did note the “millions” of individuals agencies employ. By contrast, there are only about 4,000 political appointees in government.

“It’s not a secret that we want people in positions that work with this president, not against him, and too often we have people in this government—I mean the federal government is massive, with millions of people—and there are a lot people out there taking action against this president and when we find them we will take appropriate action,” Gidley said.

His comments followed reports in Axios that the administration maintains “deep state” hit lists of employees to fire and the president has tasked the head of the Presidential Personnel Office, Johnny McEntee, to purge “bad people” who are not loyal to him. The latter report mentioned only political appointees, who serve at the pleasure of the president and can be dismissed at will, but Gidley’s comments this week appeared to go further.

“Time and time again we see in the media reports from people in the bowels of the federal government working against this president,” he said.

Gidley added that unelected federal workers were pushing “their own selfish political agenda” rather than advancing and executing Trump’s.

The latest comments do not mark the first time the Trump administration has stretched the limits of what is allowable under civil service protections. The number of federal employees proving their agencies took prohibited personnel practices against them reached an all-time high in Trump’s first year in office, according to the Office of Special Counsel. The State Department’s inspector general released two reports this year finding that the department illegally engaged in the political targeting of career employees. Federal law prohibits agencies from discriminating against any employee on the basis of political affiliation, or for any federal official to “coerce any applicant or employee to engage in political activity, or to retaliate against such individuals based on partisan politics.”
What did you think he/they meant when when referring to abolishing "the deep state"...these are all imbedded employees who keep an eye on the lefts enemies and are guarded by rules that protect them from dismissal for most any reason...if you were going to spy on your opponents what better way could be had?...if trump gets his way "the deep state" will be history and liberals will lose their real power, the ability to litigate away their opponents.

There is no such thing as "deep state". Those employees (not political appointees) are people that have served under multiple administrations - conservative and liberal, Republican and Democrat. Only Trump seems to be having any problems.

You're an idiot.

{
Political scientists and foreign policy experts have used the term deep state for years to describe individuals and institutions who exercise power independent of—and sometimes over—civilian political leaders. They applied it mainly to developing countries like Algeria, Pakistan, Egypt and Turkey, where generals and spies called the real shots in nominally democratic societies and replaced elected leaders when they saw fit. (Turkey and Egypt have recently moved to more overt security-state dictatorships, in which the deep state is the only state.)

For a generation, the people who saw something like an American deep state—even if they rarely called it that—resided on the left, not the right. The 9/11 attacks triggered the rapid growth of an opaque security and intelligence machine often unaccountable to the civilian legal system. In the 2000s, the critique focused on a “war machine” of military and intelligence officials, defense contractors and neoconservative ideologues who, in some versions, took orders directly from Vice President Dick Cheney. In the Obama era, the focus shifted to the eerie precision of “targeted killings” by drones, and then the furor over Snowden, the ex-National Security Agency contractor whose 2013 leaks exposed the astonishing reach of the government’s surveillance. “There’s definitely a deep state,” Snowden told the Nation in 2014. “Trust me, I’ve been there.”}

The Deep State Is Real

But it might not be what you think.

Did you miss that part?

Do you have a list of said employees and why fired, or just assume the worst of Trump and best of those fired?

I'm going by the article in the OP. And of course I assume the worst about Trump - he has yet to let me down.
except that you find what you look for. if you look to hate trump for any given thing, you will.

the question is - is trump doing anything you'd not expect hillary, obama, bill, or any other president to do? have those other presidents removed staff from a different admin?

i grant you that trump is going extreme here, sure. but then again, name another admin with the leaks and so forth that he has had to put up with.

Can't recall this sort of things happening before.

I can assure that it has happened before, in just about every administration. This is just the first time anyone has been so open about it.

Let the purge begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Trump rally cured your constipation? Thanks for the warning.

I’m regular, and would never attend a rally of any sort for any reason. I’ll exercise my my rights in November. Thanks

That's probably more frequent than you exercise your bowls.

You’re really concerned with my bowels. Next time you finish eating, please remove the spoon [emoji1633] from my ass.

So then you kids are gonna be fine with it when president Sanders fires every single tRumpling on day one, right?

Can I get retroactive college tuition payment for thirty some years ago, and free stuff from billionaires? I’ll give it some thought.

You should ask for a refund on that which you call a life.

In regard to your education, you should sue those that purported to educate you because they were evidently negligent.

Wow. You are a dim. You should pleasure Bernie.

You are evidently expert in pleasuring politicians.

But you have a collection of knee pads. Ironic.

Anyone and everyone appointed by Barry have proven to be criminal, anti-American, Constitution-violating, law-breaking vermin that need to be expelled from the government....hopefully many will still land in prison where they belong.

Anyone and everyone appointed by Barry have proven to be criminal, anti-American, Constitution-violating, law-breaking vermin that need to be expelled from the government....hopefully many will still land in prison where they belong.

Umh no. That's not true. In fact, there have been far more criminals and ethical lapses among Trump's appointees.

I can assure that it has happened before, in just about every administration. This is just the first time anyone has been so open about it.

A purge of civil service workers? I'm not talking about political appointees.

A purge of civil service workers? I'm not talking about political appointees.

dont knock a good thing,,,we have far to many civil servants,,it past time people take care of themselves,,,

I wonder how many they're referring to? I can't imagine it is of such note to warrant the media making a mountain out of this mole hill.

Umh no. That's not true. In fact, there have been far more criminals and ethical lapses among Trump's appointees.
Bullshit....

4 years, zero crimes, zero evidence, zero witnesses....

Compared to:

Obama:
- Armed, supplied, funded, trained, protected, defended terrorists, Mexican Drug Cartels, & enemies of the state...

- Violated both Constitution and existing Law
... Most criminal non-compliance w/ FOIA & FRA
... Numerous Cabinet members / agency directors caught committing Perjury, Espionage, Conspiracy, Obstruction, illegally spying on Americans / reporters / the media / US Senators / USSC Justices, leaking Classified
... His own VP gave a videotaped confession of extorting the previous Ukraine PM with his knowledge
... Used the IRS illegally to affect the 2012 re-election

- Was held in Contempt of Court several times for violating Court Orders

- USSC ruled he violated the Constitution several times - he admitted to doing so

- Initiated a failed Coup Attempt, according to Clapper, former NSA Director

US IG exposed numerous crimes...Cabinet members recommended for Indictment, investigations still on-going

Obama and his criminal administration were most ever in US history

[
Why? He's correct and you and your ilk are doing your best to turn our country into a third world dictatorship.

Welcome to the Banana Republic of America.

Yeah, what with our calls for socialism, our hatred of free speech and free religion, our ANTIFA brown shirts out assaulting reporters and creating terror in the cities, our shitting on the 4th by demanding tax returns to do fishing expeditions.

Well, someone is sure turning this into a third world Marxist dictatorship.
Those are all fantasies generated by the overlords. Open your eyes.

What?

How much acid did you drop this morning? :rofl:
None. They put it all into your Cheerios.

Civil Servants can’t be fired for not supporting the Presidents politics.
That is why Civil Service was created.

So then you kids are gonna be fine with it when president Sanders fires every single tRumpling on day one, right?

Can I get retroactive college tuition payment for thirty some years ago, and free stuff from billionaires? I’ll give it some thought.

In regard to your education, you should sue those that purported to educate you because they were evidently negligent.

Oh, all these tRumplings take turns stroking him.

But you have a collection of knee pads. Ironic.

How would you know whether he does or no

Unless you're yet another creepy conservitard stalker type

The federal government has three branches, the executive, the legislative, the judicial.

The President is the elected leader of the executive branch.

People who work in the executive branch serve the President, and if they cannot do that, they should seek alternative employment.

Not exactly. If they are political appointees then yes, they serve at the pleasure of the president. Otherwise - they serve their country, their agency, or the office of the president. If they are not political appointees they are protected by civil service laws from political retaliation.
Which laws would that be?

Answer me this Coyote: Is he not allowed to have people in his administration that he can trust? Or should he be forced to work with people who are willing to sabotage his efforts?

What about the latter is fair?

Forum List

Back