YES, America CERTAINLY WAS FOUNDED as a CHRISTIAN NATION...

Yale History:

Yale College and University was focused on religious and scientific specialties. Along with Latin and Greek, Hebrew was considered a classic language in the theology curricula of New England divinity schools. Ezra Stiles, an early president of Yale, was so committed to the study of Hebrew at the College that he was responsible adding the words “Urim” and “Thummim” to the Yale seal. Urim (“lights”) and Thummim (“perfections”) were special gemstones carried by the high priest of Israel in the “ephod” of his priestly garments. There was a mystical, spiritual element to the Urim and Thummim, but it’s unclear how and when these stones were actually used in ancient Jewish rituals.

At one point in the history of Yale, the Hebrew motto was clarified to mean, "Christ the Word and Interpreter of the Father, our light and perfection.”

Yale also started out as a Seminary....and did Harvard.....and again during Colonial times.

Oh...btw...they are private colleges, NOT part of the U.S. Government.

These are things you should have learned before pulling them out for a Fail argument.
Someone should really cement in those goalposts Barney Fife keeps moving around.

Oxford Motto (from Oxford's own website):

What does the University's motto "Dominus Illuminatio Mea " mean?

It is usually translated as 'the Lord is my light'. The words are the opening words to Psalm 27.

Um...Oxford is in England. They don't go by our Constitution, you know.

I'm getting the definite impression that you are not very bright.

Darwinian thought seizes Harvard Law and the Blackstone is booted out. In 1869, Eliot becomes president of Harvard.

Charles William Eliot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eliot appoints Langdell, who doesn't believe in a ridgid law based on Christianity, as taught in the Blackstone, but as a Darwin disciple, believes the law is evolving. Moral relativism at Harvard is born and Christo is dropped from the Motto, with only Veritas remaining.

Christopher Columbus Langdell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And so begins the demise of our Christian Nation as it was founded.

Thomas Paine

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church." (Richard Emery Roberts, ed. "Excerpts from The Age of Reason". Selected Writings of Thomas Paine.

Regarding State Meddling with Church

"As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of all government, to protect all conscientious professors thereof, and I know of no other business which government hath to do therewith. . . ." ---Thomas Paine, "Common Sense", 1776

Regarding Church Meddling with State

"Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is always the strongly marked feature of all law-religions, or religions established by law." --Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man, 1791

"Soon after I had published the pamphlet COMMON SENSE, in America, I saw the exceeding probability that a revolution in the system of government would be followed by a revolution in the system of religion. The adulterous connection of church and state, wherever it had taken place, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, had so effectually prohibited, by pains and penalties, every discussion upon established creeds, and upon first principles of religion, that until the system of government should be changed, those subjects could not be brought fairly and openly before the world; but that whenever this should be done, a revolution in the system of religion would follow. Human inventions and priest-craft would be detected; and man would return to the pure, unmixed, and unadulterated belief of one God, and no more." --Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

"EVERY national church or religion has established itself by pretending some special mission from God, communicated to certain individuals. The Jews have their Moses; the Christians their Jesus Christ, their apostles and saints; and the Turks their Mahomet; as if the way to God was not open to every man alike.

"Each of those churches shows certain books, which they call revelation, or the Word of God. The Jews say that their Word of God was given by God to Moses face to face; the Christians say, that their Word of God came by divine inspiration; and the Turks say, that their Word of God (the Koran) was brought by an angel from heaven. Each of those churches accuses the other of unbelief; and, for my own part, I disbelieve them all." --Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

"The Church was resolved to have a New Testament, and as, after the lapse of more than three hundred years, no handwriting could be proved or disproved, the Church, which like former impostors had then gotten possession of the State, had everything its own way. It invented creeds, such as that called the Apostle's Creed, the Nicean Creed, the Athanasian Creed, and out of the loads of rubbish that were presented it voted four to be Gospels, and others to be Epistles, as we now find them arranged." --Thomas Paine

But Hey, Don't Hold Back.

"The age of ignorance commenced with the Christian system."--Thomas Paine, 2000 Years of Disbelief

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, not by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church." --Thomas Paine, Excerpts from The Age of Reason: Selected Writings of Thomas Paine, edited by Richard Emery Robers, NY Everybody's Vacation Publishing Co, 1945, p.342

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." --Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"People in general do not know what wickedness there is in this pretended word of God. Brought up in habits of superstition, they take it for granted that the Bible is true, and that it is good; they permit themselves not to doubt of it, and they carry the ideas they form of the benevolence of the Almighty to the book which they have been taught to believe was written by his authority. Good heavens! it is quite another thing; it is a book of lies, wickedness, and blasphemy; for what can be greater blasphemy than to ascribe the wickedness of man to the orders of the Almighty?" ---Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"There is scarcely any part of science, or anything in nature, which those imposters and blasphemers of science, called priests, as well Christians as Jews, have not, at some time or other, perverted, or sought to pervert to the purpose of superstition and falsehood." -- Thomas Paine

"Yet this is trash that the Church imposes upon the world as the Word of God; this is the collection of lies and contradictions called the Holy Bible! this is the rubbish called Revealed Religion!" -- Thomas Paine

Sources

http://www.thomaspaine.org/Archives/AOR1.html http://www.atheism.org/~godlessheathen/Founders.html Thomas Paine - Wikiquote http://www.thomaspaine.org/contents.html http://paganinfo.50g.com/quotes.htm

What do you fear in admitting you are the man Rugged Touch or the woman Hollie? Do you feel your admission will expose you as a fraud?
Do you have an obsession with men?

There's no need to hide these feelings.

There is no need to dodge the question, liar. And it was four universities, ALL prestigious law universities, which was my point to the other poster, so now you've proven you can't count.

ALL began as Seminaries...during Colonial times.

William Blackstone: Commentaries of the Law

"This will of his maker is called the law of nature. For as God, when he created matter, and endued it with a principle of mobility, established certain rules for the perpetual direction of that motion; so, when he created man, and endued him with freewill to conduct himself in all parts of life, he laid down certain immutable laws of human nature, whereby that freewill is in some degree regulated and restrained, and gave him also the faculty of reason to discover the purport of those laws.

Considering the creator only as a being of infinite power, he was able unquestionably to have prescribed whatever laws he pleased to his creature, man, however unjust or severe. But as be is also a being of infinite wisdom, he has laid down only such laws as were founded in those relations of justice, that existed in the nature of things antecedent to any positive precept. These are the eternal, immutable laws of good and evil, to which the creator himself in all his dispensations conforms; and which he has enabled human reason to discover, so far as they are necessary for the conduct of human actions. Such among others are these principles: that we should live honestly, should hurt nobody, and should render to every one his due; to which three general precepts Justinian[1] has reduced the whole doctrine of law."

Blackstone:Commentaries: Book I Part I Section II

Blackstone. Preeminent ENGLISHMAN.

Princeton's motto:

Dei Sub Numine Viget. The University’s motto translates as “Under God’s power she flourishes.”

Princeton was a Religious Seminary initially, during Colonial times. Surprised you didn't know that.

King of Strawmen!!!! You ASSume a great many things about posts here. Did anything in my post make a comment about it not being a seminary???

Why would you give a Seminary as an example of Our Nation being christian. It's like giving an example of an apple that all trees are fruit trees.

Tho....I'm beginning to feel sorry for you and your lack of cognitive skills.

Yale History:

Yale College and University was focused on religious and scientific specialties. Along with Latin and Greek, Hebrew was considered a classic language in the theology curricula of New England divinity schools. Ezra Stiles, an early president of Yale, was so committed to the study of Hebrew at the College that he was responsible adding the words “Urim” and “Thummim” to the Yale seal. Urim (“lights”) and Thummim (“perfections”) were special gemstones carried by the high priest of Israel in the “ephod” of his priestly garments. There was a mystical, spiritual element to the Urim and Thummim, but it’s unclear how and when these stones were actually used in ancient Jewish rituals.

At one point in the history of Yale, the Hebrew motto was clarified to mean, "Christ the Word and Interpreter of the Father, our light and perfection.”

Yale also started out as a Seminary....and did Harvard.....and again during Colonial times.

These are things you should have learned before pulling them out for a Fail argument.

I'm surprised that you would argue Harvard and Yale didn't influence the law in the late 17th and 18th Centuries.

Did they influence the U.S Constitution? Evidence that their religions mottos influenced the U.S. Constitution, please.

The problem here, Shortbus, is that you cannot grasp that the government is not the nation.

While you view the people as merely a resource to be consumed at the pleasure of the government, that is not the actual case.
:lol::lol::lol:

So....what is "the nation" again?

Yale History:

The more I think about the utter ignorance of these comments you made the more I just have to ask you two questions: Did you note the context of why I was posting the college motto's in the first place? And...

And could you please provide a list of NON-private Colleges that were founded between 1701 and 1801?

The New England Primer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

he Primer included additional material that made it widely popular with colonial schools until it was supplanted by Noah Webster's Blue Back Speller after 1790.

Make sure you scroll down so you can see what EVERY school age child was being taught in early America.

Yep....and why did it go away? Why are we not using it today?

Umm, because Noah came up with a new one? And someone came up with a new one after that?

Yale History:

The more I think about the utter ignorance of these comments you made the more I just have to ask you two questions: Did you note the context of why I was posting the college motto's in the first place? And...

And could you please provide a list of NON-private Colleges that were founded between 1701 and 1801?

Exactly....PRIVATE....not PUBLIC. So all your lovely examples that you took so much trouble to post have NOTHING to do with our U.S. Constitutional law and our secular government.

Thank you very much. :eusa_clap:

:lol::lol::lol:

So....what is "the nation" again?

:eek:

Holy shit you're stupid...

{A nation may refer to a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, or history.[1] In this definition, a nation has no physical borders. However, it can also refer to people who share a common territory and government (for example the inhabitants of a sovereign state) irrespective of their ethnic make-up}

Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oxford Motto (from Oxford's own website):

What does the University's motto "Dominus Illuminatio Mea " mean?

It is usually translated as 'the Lord is my light'. The words are the opening words to Psalm 27.

Um...Oxford is in England. They don't go by our Constitution, you know.

I'm getting the definite impression that you are not very bright.

No, Really?? Oxford is in England? Do tell...

Being ignorant to one's own ignorance is the malady of the ignorant. In your own stupidity, you obviously missed my reference to Blackstone, and my documentation on how our legal system is based in Christian theology. You do realize most early Americans came from England, right?

No, Really?? Oxford is in England? Do tell...

Being ignorant to one's own ignorance is the malady of the ignorant. In your own stupidity, you obviously missed my reference to Blackstone, and my documentation on how our legal system is based in Christian theology. You do realize most early Americans came from England, right?

Her nickname is "Shortbus" for a reason...

I'm just sayin....

Darwinian thought seizes Harvard Law and the Blackstone is booted out. In 1869, Eliot becomes president of Harvard.

Eliot appoints Langdell, who doesn't believe in a ridgid law based on Christianity, as taught in the Blackstone, but as a Darwin disciple, believes the law is evolving. Moral relativism at Harvard is born and Christo is dropped from the Motto, with only Veritas remaining.

Thomas Paine

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church." (Richard Emery Roberts, ed. "Excerpts from The Age of Reason". Selected Writings of Thomas Paine.

"As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of all government, to protect all conscientious professors thereof, and I know of no other business which government hath to do therewith. . . ." ---Thomas Paine, "Common Sense", 1776

"Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is always the strongly marked feature of all law-religions, or religions established by law." --Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man, 1791

"Soon after I had published the pamphlet COMMON SENSE, in America, I saw the exceeding probability that a revolution in the system of government would be followed by a revolution in the system of religion. The adulterous connection of church and state, wherever it had taken place, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, had so effectually prohibited, by pains and penalties, every discussion upon established creeds, and upon first principles of religion, that until the system of government should be changed, those subjects could not be brought fairly and openly before the world; but that whenever this should be done, a revolution in the system of religion would follow. Human inventions and priest-craft would be detected; and man would return to the pure, unmixed, and unadulterated belief of one God, and no more." --Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

"EVERY national church or religion has established itself by pretending some special mission from God, communicated to certain individuals. The Jews have their Moses; the Christians their Jesus Christ, their apostles and saints; and the Turks their Mahomet; as if the way to God was not open to every man alike.

"Each of those churches shows certain books, which they call revelation, or the Word of God. The Jews say that their Word of God was given by God to Moses face to face; the Christians say, that their Word of God came by divine inspiration; and the Turks say, that their Word of God (the Koran) was brought by an angel from heaven. Each of those churches accuses the other of unbelief; and, for my own part, I disbelieve them all." --Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

"The Church was resolved to have a New Testament, and as, after the lapse of more than three hundred years, no handwriting could be proved or disproved, the Church, which like former impostors had then gotten possession of the State, had everything its own way. It invented creeds, such as that called the Apostle's Creed, the Nicean Creed, the Athanasian Creed, and out of the loads of rubbish that were presented it voted four to be Gospels, and others to be Epistles, as we now find them arranged." --Thomas Paine

"The age of ignorance commenced with the Christian system."--Thomas Paine, 2000 Years of Disbelief

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, not by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church." --Thomas Paine, Excerpts from The Age of Reason: Selected Writings of Thomas Paine, edited by Richard Emery Robers, NY Everybody's Vacation Publishing Co, 1945, p.342

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." --Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"People in general do not know what wickedness there is in this pretended word of God. Brought up in habits of superstition, they take it for granted that the Bible is true, and that it is good; they permit themselves not to doubt of it, and they carry the ideas they form of the benevolence of the Almighty to the book which they have been taught to believe was written by his authority. Good heavens! it is quite another thing; it is a book of lies, wickedness, and blasphemy; for what can be greater blasphemy than to ascribe the wickedness of man to the orders of the Almighty?" ---Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"There is scarcely any part of science, or anything in nature, which those imposters and blasphemers of science, called priests, as well Christians as Jews, have not, at some time or other, perverted, or sought to pervert to the purpose of superstition and falsehood." -- Thomas Paine

"Yet this is trash that the Church imposes upon the world as the Word of God; this is the collection of lies and contradictions called the Holy Bible! this is the rubbish called Revealed Religion!" -- Thomas Paine

Sources

http://www.thomaspaine.org/Archives/AOR1.html http://www.atheism.org/~godlessheathen/Founders.html Thomas Paine - Wikiquote http://www.thomaspaine.org/contents.html http://paganinfo.50g.com/quotes.htm

No worries Hollie. You don't have to answer the question and expose your fraud as Rugged Touch. I already know you are female. First, no self-respecting man would ever say "You poor dear". Second, the screen name Rugged Touch is in reference to your masculine leanings as a Lesbian. Third, as Rugged Touch, instead of just saying, "I am a man." You said, "I am of the male persuasion." Again, a reference to the fact you like chicks.

So no need to answer the question. But it doesn't change the fact you are a liar and a fraud.

Exactly....PRIVATE....not PUBLIC. So all your lovely examples that you took so much trouble to post have NOTHING to do with our U.S. Constitutional law and our secular government.

Thank you very much. :eusa_clap:

No really, please indulged me for a second and give me a list of all the NON-private colleges founded between 1701 and 1801.

Thomas Paine

Sources

No worries Hollie. You don't have to answer the question and expose your fraud as Rugged Touch. I already know you are female. First, no self-respecting man would ever say "You poor dear". Second, the screen name Rugged Touch is in reference to your masculine leanings as a Lesbian. Third, as Rugged Touch, instead of just saying, "I am a man." You said, "I am of the male persuasion." Again, a reference to the fact you like chicks.

So no need to answer the question. But it doesn't change the fact you are a liar and a fraud.
This is the same claim you made earlier yet you refuse to define any particulars.

It is creepy that you have such a fascination with me and insist on behaving in such a juvenile fashion.

Forum List

Back