Americans are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything

Writer Tom Nichols' efforts here will almost certainly be wasted, but it sure would be nice if this piece got around a bit:

Americans are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything

From the piece, my bold:

This isn't just human nature, but the result of a narcissism that took root in American society after the 1960s and has been growing ever since. Surrounded by affluence, enabled by the internet, and empowered by an educational system that prizes self-esteem over achievement, Americans have become more opinionated even as they have become less informed, and are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything.

Our republic thrives on open debate and the fair consideration of evidence. When our ability to maintain those democratic habits collapses, our system of government, along with our well-being as a people and a nation, will be in danger. There are a few steps we can take, including treating cable and the internet as we would treat our diet: by exercising portion control, healthy choices, and a varied mixture. We should especially make an effort to consider other sources that challenge us.

More important, we need to start listening to each other with a greater assumption of good will. Cable news has become a gladiatorial exercise, but that doesn’t mean each of us must approach conversation as a fight to the finish.

We must come out from behind our keyboards and smartphones and televisions and engage each other as citizens, rather than opponents. In an age of binary, win-at-all-costs politics, this is a tall order. But citizens need to be better examples to our political and media leaders than they’ve been to us.

There is still time to reconsider the path we’ve set upon in the past few decades, but one thing should be clear: We cannot continue this way much longer and survive as a vibrant democracy.

Yep, Progressives have fucked this country up.

Writer Tom Nichols' efforts here will almost certainly be wasted, but it sure would be nice if this piece got around a bit:

From the piece, my bold:

This isn't just human nature, but the result of a narcissism that took root in American society after the 1960s and has been growing ever since. Surrounded by affluence, enabled by the internet, and empowered by an educational system that prizes self-esteem over achievement, Americans have become more opinionated even as they have become less informed, and are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything.

Our republic thrives on open debate and the fair consideration of evidence. When our ability to maintain those democratic habits collapses, our system of government, along with our well-being as a people and a nation, will be in danger. There are a few steps we can take, including treating cable and the internet as we would treat our diet: by exercising portion control, healthy choices, and a varied mixture. We should especially make an effort to consider other sources that challenge us.

More important, we need to start listening to each other with a greater assumption of good will. Cable news has become a gladiatorial exercise, but that doesn’t mean each of us must approach conversation as a fight to the finish.

We must come out from behind our keyboards and smartphones and televisions and engage each other as citizens, rather than opponents. In an age of binary, win-at-all-costs politics, this is a tall order. But citizens need to be better examples to our political and media leaders than they’ve been to us.

There is still time to reconsider the path we’ve set upon in the past few decades, but one thing should be clear: We cannot continue this way much longer and survive as a vibrant democracy.

No! YOU!!

TyroneSlothrop, proving the OP true in real time. Witness it, everybody!
You are doing an impression of a Pigeon who having shit on the board now struts triumphant...so far my thesis of the real point of the OP is unchallenged ...poopy

If anyone's a Pigeon shitting on a chessboard and strutting around, it's you.

Then again, that's you in every thread.

Sure you don't have some Cheeto pictures or something to post somewhere?

Did you know they use aborted baby cells to flavor Cheetos?

From the piece, my bold:

No! YOU!!
Progressive snowflakes will not tolerate any other point of view other than their own... fact

From the piece, my bold:

No! YOU!!
Progressive snowflakes will not tolerate any other point of view other than their own... fact

Agreed, the problem is to get them to realize there are other viewpoints than their own. (or what they were programmed with)

It's our government, I say take to the streets and get it back.

The alternative is to sit here and dream about ways to get it back without offending those that stole it from you.

:iagree:

When someone speaks out they always try to tell you to protest them in other ways, ways that are more quiet and less bothersome to the audience it's directed to. Either that or they demonize the individuals in an effort to defend themselves. This board has devolved into strawman logic amd whataboutism.

I suggest you stick to your fantasies try selling them to somebody less informed.
Back to the OP:

Do you feel that this climate is better and/or more constructive than one in which communication is more open and cooperative?

Absolutely not. Just look at JoeB and brummelban's posts, for that matter, look at the way mudwhistle ripped into Tommy Tainant for no good reason whatsoever, except that Tommy leans left. Tommy made a very valid point in that post.
Tommy made an invalid assumption.
And I posted disagreement. It wasn't assault and battery.

TyroneSlothrop, proving the OP true in real time. Witness it, everybody!
You are doing an impression of a Pigeon who having shit on the board now struts triumphant...so far my thesis of the real point of the OP is unchallenged ...poopy

If anyone's a Pigeon shitting on a chessboard and strutting around, it's you.

Then again, that's you in every thread.

Sure you don't have some Cheeto pictures or something to post somewhere?

Did you know they use aborted baby cells to flavor Cheetos?
No..Soilent Green

I suggest you stick to your fantasies try selling them to somebody less informed.
Back to the OP:

Do you feel that this climate is better and/or more constructive than one in which communication is more open and cooperative?

Absolutely not. Just look at JoeB and brummelban's posts, for that matter, look at the way mudwhistle ripped into Tommy Tainant for no good reason whatsoever, except that Tommy leans left. Tommy made a very valid point in that post.

That wasn't an invalid assumption Tommy made, it was a correct assertion, therefore I have to disagree with you as well.

If you think I don't feel a twinge of pain for having to say that, you'd be wrong.

Your kind is really good at blaming the actions of a few, a tiny minority, on an entire people, be they Muslim, black yellow or red.

A dodge, nothing more.
Facts have always been alien to your kind

What is "your kind"? How do you know what kind he is?

It's a generalization, nothing more. He knows my views, and I know it's easier to lump people together than critique certain points. Everyone is guilty of that at some time.

Ok, but here's the thing: You can't pigeonhole people. Everybody is different.

But there are general trends, and those can be commented on and critiqued. This is especially true of any ideologies that tend towards groupthink, like current flavor of progressivism.

From the piece, my bold:

Nobody's more intolerant of being told he's wrong than you are.

A dodge, nothing more.
Facts have always been alien to your kind

What is "your kind"? How do you know what kind he is?

It's a generalization, nothing more. He knows my views, and I know it's easier to lump people together than critique certain points. Everyone is guilty of that at some time.

Ok, but here's the thing: You can't pigeonhole people. Everybody is different.

But there are general trends, and those can be commented on and critiqued. This is especially true of any ideologies that tend towards groupthink, like current flavor of progressivism.

That's more than groupthink, that's hive mind. Too many people in the US are affected by it. That's a real problem that will have to be addressed because those people cannot think autonomously. (on their own)

Back to the OP:

That wasn't an invalid assumption Tommy made, it was a correct assertion, therefore I have to disagree with you as well.

If you think I don't feel a twinge of pain for having to say that, you'd be wrong.
That is nothing but your opinion.

Assuming that "people"are too simple-minded to figure things out for themselves is the basis for most liberal ideology. It's actually a dodge. They choose not to be honest because they feel what they are doing won't be understood. In reality their greatest fear is that "people" will find out and reject it.

Back to the OP:

That is nothing but your opinion.

Assuming that "people"are too simple-minded to figure things out for themselves is the basis for most liberal ideology. It's actually a dodge. They choose not to be honest because they feel what they are doing won't be understood. In reality their greatest fear is that "people" will find out and reject it.

You totally missed the point, skip going to the thread in my signature and read the direct link of the comprehensive study.

Post what Tommy said that you disagree with again, please.

Riot-Prone Mobs Are A Product Of America’s Cult-Like Education System

Considering they are all college educated....and more inclined to believe fake news...yep.

Well, I can tell you don't need you no college learning, Cleetus!

But you avoided my point... that Trump ran on the Birther platform and that got him to the top...

No...he didn't run on obama being born in Kenya...it wasn't even part of the campaign, moron.....

But the interesting thing is that since obama's mother married a Kenyan, and lived outside of the country for years...that the issue of if he could have been born outside of the country was valid...since he refused to show his actual birth certificate and the biography for his publisher stated he was born in Kenya....of course, his mother was an American so he was always a citizen...but that didn't stop asswipes like you accusing John McCain of not being a citizen since he was born in the Panama Canal Zone when his two American parents were there when his father, a member of the U.S. navy, was stationed there.....

Actually that's what the left did when they supported a lunatic like Hillary.
The same goes for Obama.
The left would vote for a pile of shit if the media could convince them that the steaming pile was a shoe-in.

Yawn, guy, i know you are denial about how you really messed this up.

The ironic thing is, Hillary would have probably strengthened your party. Trump will end up destroying it because you've already sacrificed your principles and it's becoming increasingly apparent you don't know how to govern...

Yes.....and Trump will be out by Christmas....Trump will get bored and just quit....Trump will never win the primary....hilary is ahead by double digits.....hilary is going to win by a landslide.......Trump never paid any taxes.....and on and on ....... you would think by now you asswipes would understand that Trump is not going to lose to you....and you can keep dreaming and making up a different reality...but in 8 years when he leaves office, you still won't have a clue...

Forum List

Back