Americans are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything

Writer Tom Nichols' efforts here will almost certainly be wasted, but it sure would be nice if this piece got around a bit:

Americans are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything
giphy.gif

The Explanation is that "libruls" will not accept "alternative facts" ...alternative climate Science etc ..they can't handle the alternative Truth or Truths .....Remember the "Bowling Green"....

Your posts are full of derp, every time! This problem is bigger than just political parties, numbnuts. Go back to the kiddie pool.

Writer Tom Nichols' efforts here will almost certainly be wasted, but it sure would be nice if this piece got around a bit:

From the piece, my bold:

This isn't just human nature, but the result of a narcissism that took root in American society after the 1960s and has been growing ever since. Surrounded by affluence, enabled by the internet, and empowered by an educational system that prizes self-esteem over achievement, Americans have become more opinionated even as they have become less informed, and are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything.

Our republic thrives on open debate and the fair consideration of evidence. When our ability to maintain those democratic habits collapses, our system of government, along with our well-being as a people and a nation, will be in danger. There are a few steps we can take, including treating cable and the internet as we would treat our diet: by exercising portion control, healthy choices, and a varied mixture. We should especially make an effort to consider other sources that challenge us.

More important, we need to start listening to each other with a greater assumption of good will. Cable news has become a gladiatorial exercise, but that doesn’t mean each of us must approach conversation as a fight to the finish.

We must come out from behind our keyboards and smartphones and televisions and engage each other as citizens, rather than opponents. In an age of binary, win-at-all-costs politics, this is a tall order. But citizens need to be better examples to our political and media leaders than they’ve been to us.

There is still time to reconsider the path we’ve set upon in the past few decades, but one thing should be clear: We cannot continue this way much longer and survive as a vibrant democracy.

I know my own bias may come into play here, but to me most of the "my way or the highway" mentality is firmly fixed on the left these days. On the right, at least among federalists and "small l" libertarians the overwhelming desire is to just be left the hell alone on many policies and positions. When North Carolina passed the dreaded "Bathroom Bill" the people there did not try to impose said law on places like New York or California, they just wanted it in their own State.

You also don't see people on the Right trying to shut down speeches by people on the left, via either violence or the "heckler's veto". That is a purely left wing tactic currently.

Some, including myself, on the Right are probably much more shrill and mean than we used to be, but it is because we see core fundamentals of this country under attack. Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, RKBA, Federalism in general.

If my side wins, people in States where they want Single payer, bathroom neutrality, welfare states, etc can still get what they want due to the miracle of federalism. If their side wins, we all have to live like they want us to live.
Certainly the Left has this fixation on shutting down opposing speech, I can't argue with that. It flies directly against what (I think) is our most important right, and they don't care. A bad, bad situation.

But, at the same time, look at his exchange:

That's simply not going to happen. Maybe look for a Plan B..
Plan A. Solve the problem. Plan B. Learn to live with the problem. Life doesn't have to be complicated...

While the two "sides" do share many behaviors, it seems like the Right thinks it's going to somehow "win" this, and "beat" the other side. And that approach is certainly a part of what the article in the OP discusses.

I take the words/actions of people on a message board with a grain of salt. I am actually a far more reasonable person than I present on this board. This board is sometimes an outlet for me to let loose and let my anger out a bit. You then have to add in the sock/trolls who "play a persona on TV" and are not actually what they appear to be.

I usually look past words and concentrate on actions, and right now the Left has the monopoly on "fuck you" actions.

It always amazes me how the pendulum swings back and forth sometimes when it comes to political views and temperament. We are only a few decades out from the "Moral Majority" idiots and their attempts to stifle things they found "indecent".
The Moral Majority is just another example of people who want to force other's to follow their rules and beliefs. The strange thing is how the left that have no principles or values would hook up with folks (Muslims) that make the Moral Majority look like Hollywood liberals.
Your kind is really good at blaming the actions of a few, a tiny minority, on an entire people, be they Muslim, black yellow or red.

A dodge, nothing more.

I know my own bias may come into play here, but to me most of the "my way or the highway" mentality is firmly fixed on the left these days. On the right, at least among federalists and "small l" libertarians the overwhelming desire is to just be left the hell alone on many policies and positions. When North Carolina passed the dreaded "Bathroom Bill" the people there did not try to impose said law on places like New York or California, they just wanted it in their own State.

You also don't see people on the Right trying to shut down speeches by people on the left, via either violence or the "heckler's veto". That is a purely left wing tactic currently.

Some, including myself, on the Right are probably much more shrill and mean than we used to be, but it is because we see core fundamentals of this country under attack. Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, RKBA, Federalism in general.

If my side wins, people in States where they want Single payer, bathroom neutrality, welfare states, etc can still get what they want due to the miracle of federalism. If their side wins, we all have to live like they want us to live.
Certainly the Left has this fixation on shutting down opposing speech, I can't argue with that. It flies directly against what (I think) is our most important right, and they don't care. A bad, bad situation.

Plan A. Solve the problem. Plan B. Learn to live with the problem. Life doesn't have to be complicated...

While the two "sides" do share many behaviors, it seems like the Right thinks it's going to somehow "win" this, and "beat" the other side. And that approach is certainly a part of what the article in the OP discusses.

I take the words/actions of people on a message board with a grain of salt. I am actually a far more reasonable person than I present on this board. This board is sometimes an outlet for me to let loose and let my anger out a bit. You then have to add in the sock/trolls who "play a persona on TV" and are not actually what they appear to be.

I usually look past words and concentrate on actions, and right now the Left has the monopoly on "fuck you" actions.

It always amazes me how the pendulum swings back and forth sometimes when it comes to political views and temperament. We are only a few decades out from the "Moral Majority" idiots and their attempts to stifle things they found "indecent".
The Moral Majority is just another example of people who want to force other's to follow their rules and beliefs. The strange thing is how the left that have no principles or values would hook up with folks (Muslims) that make the Moral Majority look like Hollywood liberals.
Your kind is really good at blaming the actions of a few, a tiny minority, on an entire people, be they Muslim, black yellow or red.

A dodge, nothing more.
Facts have always been alien to your kind

A dodge, nothing more.

What is "your kind"? How do you know what kind he is?

A dodge, nothing more.

What "facts". You guys throw that word around way too much.

A dodge, nothing more.

It's a generalization, nothing more. He knows my views, and I know it's easier to lump people together than critique certain points. Everyone is guilty of that at some time.

A dodge, nothing more.

It's a generalization, nothing more. He knows my views, and I know it's easier to lump people together than critique certain points. Everyone is guilty of that at some time.

Ok, but here's the thing: You can't pigeonhole people. Everybody is different.

From the piece, my bold:

This isn't just human nature, but the result of a narcissism that took root in American society after the 1960s and has been growing ever since. Surrounded by affluence, enabled by the internet, and empowered by an educational system that prizes self-esteem over achievement, Americans have become more opinionated even as they have become less informed, and are now utterly intolerant of ever being told they’re wrong about almost anything.

Our republic thrives on open debate and the fair consideration of evidence. When our ability to maintain those democratic habits collapses, our system of government, along with our well-being as a people and a nation, will be in danger. There are a few steps we can take, including treating cable and the internet as we would treat our diet: by exercising portion control, healthy choices, and a varied mixture. We should especially make an effort to consider other sources that challenge us.

More important, we need to start listening to each other with a greater assumption of good will. Cable news has become a gladiatorial exercise, but that doesn’t mean each of us must approach conversation as a fight to the finish.

We must come out from behind our keyboards and smartphones and televisions and engage each other as citizens, rather than opponents. In an age of binary, win-at-all-costs politics, this is a tall order. But citizens need to be better examples to our political and media leaders than they’ve been to us.

There is still time to reconsider the path we’ve set upon in the past few decades, but one thing should be clear: We cannot continue this way much longer and survive as a vibrant democracy.

Great OP, important point. A good exercise in this regard is taking the opposition views, delving into them to argue for them (introspectively at least) as is done in formal debate practice. This facilitates objectivity in crystallizing a fully processed opinion, on the spectrum of facts out there...

From the piece, my bold:

Great OP, important point. A good exercise in this regard is taking the opposition views, delving into them to argue for them (introspectively at least) as is done in formal debate practice. This facilitates objectivity in crystallizing a fully processed opinion, on the spectrum of facts out there...

Oho! You fixed it already. :D Nevermind. This is a good thread!

From the piece, my bold:

If everyone just listened to me, everything would be fine.

Go have a donut, eh?

When I am king, all donuts will be free for everyone.

From the piece, my bold:

If everyone just listened to me, everything would be fine.

Go have a donut, eh?

When I am king, all donuts will be free for everyone.

King Toro, it's what's for dinner. :badgrin: He never saw that railspike coming.

And the point of the OP plays out in real time...

:rolleyes-41:
Here is the real point of the OP

The real point is that the wing nuts have spent decades demonizing Democrats Liberals and progressives....I mean the word liberal became almost toxic...On behalf of that goal you all created alternative facts , alternative science.......... Now that the Wing nuts hold the level of Government power its time for Liberals to Roll Over and Go All Bipartisan..and become Politically correct to the Wing Nut Dogma....

That is the Real point of the OP...time to compromise Liberals....

And the point of the OP plays out in real time...

:rolleyes-41:
Here is the real point of the OP

The real point is that the wing nuts have spent decades demonizing Democrats Liberals and progressives....I mean the word liberal became almost toxic...On behalf of that goal you all created alternative facts , alternative science.......... Now that the Wing nuts hold the level of Government power its time for Liberals to Roll Over and Go All Bipartisan..and become Politically correct to the Wing Nut Dogma....

That is the Real point of the OP...time to compromise Liberals....

TyroneSlothrop, proving the OP true in real time. Witness it, everybody!

Forum List

Back