arbery trial and race

Ok, so stop. Not because they said so. But because you know you just broke the law, invaded someone property and privacy. Stop and have a conversation, like normal people.
Don't run like a hood rat.

It's what decent people do. And what thugs don't do.
He broke no law, so you're wrong from the start. Secondly, he had no reason to stop for them. Thirdly, he had every right to run away from them. Fourthly, he was not a thug. Fifthly, "thug" for a black man who's not a thug is a dog whistle from a racist.

But most of all -- Arbery had every right to defend his own life from someone threatening him with a shotgun.

In a new filing in the first-degree murder case, prosecutors are asking the judge to prohibit defense lawyers from introducing what they call prejudicial evidence, including toxicology reports that show the presence of THC in Arbery's blood, and the absence of a Zyprexa, a drug prescribed to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Before his death, Arbery received a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. The absence of the drug may indicate that he was not taking his medication..
Link.

He broke no law, so you're wrong from the start. Secondly, he had no reason to stop for them. Thirdly, he had every right to run away from them. Fourthly, he was not a thug. Fifthly, "thug" for a black man who's not a thug is a dog whistle from a racist.

But most of all -- Arbery had every right to defend his own life from someone threatening him with a shotgun.
As the court found

Not to mention, the drug that Arbery was SUPPOSED to be taking, to treat his Schizophrenia and Bipolar, was NOT found in his system. And the judge wouldn't allow that to be entered as evidence either.

This was a shit show court.
Why should it have been shown in court? Arbery was not on trial, the McMichael's and Bryan were and none of them had any knowledge of Arbery's condition. Travis claim of self defense had nothing to do with Arbery's mental health, so it's not relevant to the case.

Boy, this was a painful thread to read. Still, I read the darn thing.

A couple of items from my take on the incident, and my take on this thread and some of it's postings:

The owner of the house states nothing was stolen.
I saw that too in what little I've read of the case. I also read that there had been a history of white people entering this house-under-construction.....yet, they were never pursued by the McMichaels.
------------------------------------------
Not after he made that sharp left and headed towards Greg.
Once he passed the truck and turned left, he was no longer just running. He was attacking Greg.
He had just been threatened that his head would be blown off. And he sees a man ...who I think is the guy who verbally threatened him.....standing in a position to block his passage and holding a gun in his hand.
Well, it seems more than clear that the victim was doing what he could to defend himself. His actions were defensive. Reasonably so. Duh!
-----------------------------------------------
Really? His life wasn't in jeopardy.
Read the above.
  • He had been followed.
  • One of the followers said he'd blow his head off.
  • One of the followers stepped out of the vehicle and put himself in a position to block his passage....
  • .......while he held a gun in his hand.
All of that creates a reasonable belief of jeopardy.
That seems too obvious to even articulate.
And what about Arbery's right to defend his own life?
And there, we have good poster 'Faun'..... pointing out the obvious, well before my avatar did.
----------------------------------------------

Lastly, there have been exchanges about 'racist' or racist language.
Most of that stuff on this venue I ignore. It has become so common....emanating from both sides that it generally has lost relevance, resonance, and believability.

However, with that said there was an exchange above that was quite notable. And that was the description of the victim of that horrendous 'dragging' murder as a "colored boy".
A 49 year old man. James Byrd. A 'colored boy'.

If that doesn't raise a question......then one is tone-deaf, at minimum. Or dumb.
Or, quite credibly......a racist.

IMHO

However, with that said there was an exchange above that was quite notable. And that was the description of the victim of that horrendous 'dragging' murder as a "colored boy".

If that doesn't raise a question......then one is tone-deaf, at minimum. Or dumb.

IMHO
Which thoroughly explains why he refuses to acknowledge the court got this one right; and why he's still trying to resolve the outcome; and why he's still searching for excuses to blame the victim... Because in a case that pits blacks against whites, to a racist, the black is always in the wrong, no matter what.

I saw that too in what little I've read of the case. I also read that there had been a history of white people entering this house-under-construction.....yet, they were never pursued by the McMichaels.

He did make an issue out of it. Called the cops every time. But they couldn't catch them. "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
The neighbors house was robbed of guns, and the cops didn't catch them.
Arbery was a concern because he had been seen on several different occasions. Including going in at night.
None of the others that were caught on camera, were eve seen twice.
He had just been threatened that his head would be blown off. And he sees a man ...who I think is the guy who verbally threatened him.....standing in a position to block his passage and holding a gun in his hand.

Wrong. The pick up was parked in the middle of the road. Travis McMichael was at the front of the truck, on the drivers side. Arbery ran up to the truck and around it on the passenger side.
Travis, still on the drivers side front, gun pointed to the ground (Between him and Arbery), Arbery makes his left turn and goes for Travis.
Making him the aggressor.
Well, it seems more than clear that the victim was doing what he could to defend himself. His actions were defensive. Reasonably so. Duh!

Once Arbery made the left turn, he became the aggressor. You, like many others are overlooking the law because of your emotions.
Read the above.
  • He had been followed.
  • One of the followers said he'd blow his head off.
  • One of the followers stepped out of the vehicle and put himself in a position to block his passage....
  • .......while he held a gun in his hand.

Again, he was NOT blocking his way. In fact, Travis stepped backwards prior to shooting.
Lastly, there have been exchanges about 'racist' or racist language.

And the judge would not allow Arbery's racial slurs to be entered into evidence. Nor would he allow the dirty toxicology and the lack of the drugs Arbery was supposed to be on for his schizophrenia.
Most of that stuff on this venue I ignore. It has become so common....emanating from both sides that it generally has lost relevance, resonance, and believability.

IMHO

Colored boy is not a racial slur. I'm sure the left would like to add it to the list. Including "math" and trying to keep BLM from rioting and looting. But it's still not one.

Once Arbery made the left turn, he became the aggressor. You, like many others are overlooking the law because of your emotions.

False. That was the moment Arbery fought to defend himself, in accordance with Georgia law. The aggressors were the 3 defendants, who tried to illegally detain Arbery and who blocked his escape from their neighborhood to effect that. Then Travis pulled out a shotgun and pointed it at Arbery, an aggravated assault and an aggressive maneuver.

Again, he was NOT blocking his way. In fact, Travis stepped backwards prior to shooting.

False. It was a two lane road. His truck was parked in the middle of the lane and then as Arbery approached, he moved to the middle of the other lane, attempting to block him from proceeding.

And the judge would not allow Arbery's racial slurs to be entered into evidence.

Irrelevant. Arbery never once spoke to them. All that was admissible was interactions between them, not Arbery's life away from them.

Nor would he allow the dirty toxicology and the lack of the drugs Arbery was supposed to be on for his schizophrenia.

Irrelevant. It was outside the knowledge of the 3 defendants. It had nothing to do with the 3 defendants trying to detain Arbery. It had nothing to do with Travis pulling a shotgun on Arbery.

Colored boy is not a racial slur. I'm sure the left would like to add it to the list. Including "math" and trying to keep BLM from rioting and looting. But it's still not one.

Stupid. Is what you are if you think you can fool anyone by pretending to not know calling a black man, "boy," isn't racist.

And the judge would not allow Arbery's racial slurs to be entered into evidence

And then there is this about the now convicted shooter:

"Special Agent Richard Dial of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said William Bryan told his office in an interview last month that Travis McMichael uttered the slur as Arbery lay dying from shotgun wounds on Feb. 23. Bryan and McMichael are both defendants in the case.

“Mr. Bryan said that after the shooting took place before police arrival, while Mr. Arbery was on the ground, that he heard Travis McMichael make the statement: 'fucking ******,' Dial said in testimony."

Maybe if he had called the dying man in the middle of the road a "colored boy"......it wouldn't sound so....so...so impolite?
So unsympathetic?

And then there is this about the now convicted shooter:

"Special Agent Richard Dial of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said William Bryan told his office in an interview last month that Travis McMichael uttered the slur as Arbery lay dying from shotgun wounds on Feb. 23. Bryan and McMichael are both defendants in the case.

“Mr. Bryan said that after the shooting took place before police arrival, while Mr. Arbery was on the ground, that he heard Travis McMichael make the statement: 'fucking ******,' Dial said in testimony."

Maybe if he had called the dying man in the middle of the road a "colored boy"......it wouldn't sound so....so...so impolite?
So unsympathetic?

Yup, he allowed the racial slurs of the white folks. But not the black boy.

Once he passed the truck and turned left, he was no longer just running. He was attacking Greg. Trying to take his gun. Greg was shooting at him. Wasn't blocking him. Just trying to get him to stop. And armed for his own protection.
That was shown to be false. You would want someone to put away a weapon aimed at you, there should not have been a threat with a weapon to begin with.

I know, right? SMH..

Politics in the courtroom.

At least we had one honest verdict this month. But had Kyle shot blacks, who did the same exact thing, he would've been found guilty too.
With Rittenhouse, there were riots, looting and burning, a threat could be expected, plus the perps all had criminal backgrounds. Arbery was only running, there was no threat for those three men to need a weapon.

Forum List

Back