ChristianMingle and other religious dating websites now must include gay singles

So, homosexuality is okay, since Jesus never said anything about it. Stealing is okay. After all, Jesus never said anything about that, either. Abortion? Well, Jesus never said anything about it, so it's all good. Worshipping idols? Jesus never said anything about that, so that's all good, too. See the problem with trying to condense the entirety of Christian theology to include only those things that Jesus, personally, spoke about? That's why Christianity is based on a Bible, only a tenth of which is devoted to the things Jesus actually said. Because the vast majority of Christian theology is based on things others advised were proper, and good ways for Christians to live.

Ah this is fun.

Homosexuality is okay because it is none of your business.

This is not about whether or not Jesus approved or disapproved of homosexuality- or homosexuals- he commanded his followers to love your neighbors- and that would indeed include your gay neighbors.

See the problem with faux Christians is that they want to exclude what Jesus actually said- so that they can hate who they want to hate.

There are only a few references to homosexuality in the entire Bible.
18:22
22"'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Of course this is in the same section of Leviticus that condemns having sex with a women during her period. And note this applies only to men- not women.

Leviticus 20:13
3"'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Or course again this is in the same section of Leviticus that calls for those who curse their parents to be put to death.

9"'Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

And is in the same section which warns Jews to stay away from 'unclean'

25"'You must therefore make a distinction between clean and unclean animals and between unclean and clean birds. Do not defile yourselves by any animal or bird or anything that moves along the ground--those that I have set apart as unclean for you.

Hmmm do Christians distinguish between 'clean' and 'unclean' animals? 'Clean' and 'unclean' birds?

And then we get to Paul- who never actually met Jesus

26For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature;
27and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Paul in this chapter is not condemning homosexuals- he is condemning those who should know god but gave him up

3and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

Paul is saying that when men give up on God- God let them be homosexuals. Paul is condemning godlessness- he certainly is not telling any Christian to hate anyone.

So where in the Bible does it say that Christians must hate homosexuals?

Jesus said to love your neighbor- where is Jesus's commandment over-ridden?
Again, the very verse you quoted in Leviticus said to put them to death. But, I'm sure that you're supposed to kill them lovingly..

Yes- Leviticus says to put to death men who have sex with each other- just as Leviticus says to put to death anyone who curses their parents.

Do Christians follow the rules of Leviticus? Do Christians refuse to eat unclean fish? Do Christians believe a woman who is having her period is unclean? And that anything she touches is unclean?

Still haven't seen anything in the Bible that commands Christians to hate anyone- let alone homosexuals.
I notice you had no suitably smug answer for the rest of the post. Your concession is duly noted.

I notice you had no answer at all to my post. Your concession began with your first post in this thread.
Like I said, okay. You don't like the word "hate". Christian theology does not teach its adherents to "hate" homosexuals; just to pray for, hope for, and celebrate, the day when they cease to exist. But, I'm sure they're to do this "lovingly".

Ah this is fun.

Homosexuality is okay because it is none of your business.

This is not about whether or not Jesus approved or disapproved of homosexuality- or homosexuals- he commanded his followers to love your neighbors- and that would indeed include your gay neighbors.

See the problem with faux Christians is that they want to exclude what Jesus actually said- so that they can hate who they want to hate.

There are only a few references to homosexuality in the entire Bible.
18:22
22"'Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Of course this is in the same section of Leviticus that condemns having sex with a women during her period. And note this applies only to men- not women.

Leviticus 20:13
3"'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Or course again this is in the same section of Leviticus that calls for those who curse their parents to be put to death.

9"'Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

And is in the same section which warns Jews to stay away from 'unclean'

25"'You must therefore make a distinction between clean and unclean animals and between unclean and clean birds. Do not defile yourselves by any animal or bird or anything that moves along the ground--those that I have set apart as unclean for you.

Hmmm do Christians distinguish between 'clean' and 'unclean' animals? 'Clean' and 'unclean' birds?

And then we get to Paul- who never actually met Jesus

26For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature;
27and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Paul in this chapter is not condemning homosexuals- he is condemning those who should know god but gave him up

3and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

Paul is saying that when men give up on God- God let them be homosexuals. Paul is condemning godlessness- he certainly is not telling any Christian to hate anyone.

So where in the Bible does it say that Christians must hate homosexuals?

Jesus said to love your neighbor- where is Jesus's commandment over-ridden?
Again, the very verse you quoted in Leviticus said to put them to death. But, I'm sure that you're supposed to kill them lovingly..

Yes- Leviticus says to put to death men who have sex with each other- just as Leviticus says to put to death anyone who curses their parents.

Do Christians follow the rules of Leviticus? Do Christians refuse to eat unclean fish? Do Christians believe a woman who is having her period is unclean? And that anything she touches is unclean?

Still haven't seen anything in the Bible that commands Christians to hate anyone- let alone homosexuals.
I notice you had no suitably smug answer for the rest of the post. Your concession is duly noted.

I notice you had no answer at all to my post. Your concession began with your first post in this thread.
Like I said, okay. You don't like the word "hate". Christian theology does not teach its adherents to "hate" homosexuals; just to pray for, hope for, and celebrate, the day when they cease to exist. But, I'm sure they're to do this "lovingly".

So finally you are admitting that your claims from the beginning were a lie.

But then you go ahead and make new lies.

Christianity does not teach its adherents to celebrate the day that homosexuals cease to exist.

Why exactly are you so obsessed with getting this wrong?

You're right. The Bible says to stone homosexuals to death. But, I'm sure that it means to do it with love.

Jesus said:
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

This far too oversimplification to use as a defense in so many varied conflicts or moral issues. It is not much different than the retorts "judge not lest ye be judged" or "turn the other cheek." It requires a reasoned and authoritative interpretation or response.

And that is just the beginning of the differences between a skeptic or unbelievers use of Scripture and the proper teachings of Scripture and the Church. Sometimes "love" means to admonish and/or refuse.

Yeah I keep hearing that from Christians who seem to have no problem with pointing to quotes out of the Old Testament but want to rationalize about what Jesus' very clear and specific words meant.

There is not an interpretation of the New Testament which translates that quote to mean 'admonish' or 'refuse'

New International Version
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

New Living Translation
The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

English Standard Version
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Berean Study Bible
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

Berean Literal Bible
The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is not another commandment greater than these."

New American Standard Bible
"The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

King James Bible
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
"The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these."

International Standard Version
The second is this: 'You must love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

NET Bible
The second is: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
The second most important commandment is this: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

New American Standard 1977
“The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Jubilee Bible 2000
And the second is like it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

King James 2000 Bible
And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

American King James Version
And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

American Standard Version
The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

Darby Bible Translation
And a second like it [is] this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is not another commandment greater than these

Are you afraid to discuss this?

You really do not understand the word 'love' in its context here. But you block your eyes and ears and just keep yelling it out as though you know something. It appears to me you do not and do not want to learn either.

Why are you afraid to discuss this?

Tell me why you want to rationalize that the very word that is interpreted by every major translation of the Bible as 'love' to you means something else?

Why do you insist on rationalizing that Jesus meant something other than what his clear words said?
Matthew 19
The Rich and the Kingdom of God

16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’d

Just pointing out- Jesus never mentions "And don't have sex with men"

Matthew 5
44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 22
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
37Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
38This is the first and greatest commandment.
39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Mark 12
33To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

James 2
8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.
But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.

Galatians 5
14For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Romans 13
9The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself.

10Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

And the parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke explains who 'a neighbor' is.

Loving your neighbor does not mean when my daughter wants to move in with her boyfriend that I should approve. I reprove. If my teenage son is asking about homosexuality I do not say it is all Ok just like heterosexuality, I say something quite different. I also spank my 3 year old when they do things like run in the street. Love includes a lot of chastisement and disapproval for the person’s own good.

To make the argument Jesus did not make it clear about whether homosexual relations is good or bad is an amateur argument. First of all, you have completely and totally denied the authority Jesus gave to the Church He established and its apostolic leaders in Matthew 16 --- “whatsoever you hold bound on earth shall be held bound in heaven.” The Church (yes, the Catholic Church) is the authority that not only makes heavenly laws but interprets Scripture, not you or me.

These words of Jesus Christ (if you insist on your limited and faulty line of reasoning) do not bode well for homosexual relations. As it is, all sex outside of heterosexual marriage is forbidden.

Mark 7:20-23 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

Matthew 19:4-6 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Jesus said:

This far too oversimplification to use as a defense in so many varied conflicts or moral issues. It is not much different than the retorts "judge not lest ye be judged" or "turn the other cheek." It requires a reasoned and authoritative interpretation or response.

And that is just the beginning of the differences between a skeptic or unbelievers use of Scripture and the proper teachings of Scripture and the Church. Sometimes "love" means to admonish and/or refuse.

Yeah I keep hearing that from Christians who seem to have no problem with pointing to quotes out of the Old Testament but want to rationalize about what Jesus' very clear and specific words meant.

There is not an interpretation of the New Testament which translates that quote to mean 'admonish' or 'refuse'

New Living Translation
The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

English Standard Version
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Berean Study Bible
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

Berean Literal Bible
The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is not another commandment greater than these."

"The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

King James Bible
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

"The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these."

The second is this: 'You must love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

NET Bible
The second is: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

“And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
The second most important commandment is this: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

“The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Jubilee Bible 2000
And the second is like it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

King James 2000 Bible
And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

Darby Bible Translation
And a second like it [is] this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is not another commandment greater than these

You really do not understand the word 'love' in its context here. But you block your eyes and ears and just keep yelling it out as though you know something. It appears to me you do not and do not want to learn either.

Tell me why you want to rationalize that the very word that is interpreted by every major translation of the Bible as 'love' to you means something else?

Why do you insist on rationalizing that Jesus meant something other than what his clear words said?
Matthew 19

16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’d

Matthew 5

Matthew 22
37Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

Mark 12
33To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

James 2
8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.
But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.

Galatians 5
14For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Romans 13
9The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself.

10Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Loving your neighbor does not mean when my daughter wants to move in with her boyfriend that I should approve. I reprove. If my teenage son is asking about homosexuality I do not say it is all Ok just like heterosexuality, I say something quite different. I also spank my 3 year old when they do things like run in the street. Love includes a lot of chastisement and disapproval for the person’s own good.

To make the argument Jesus did not make it clear about whether homosexual relations is good or bad is an amateur argument. First of all, you have completely and totally denied the authority Jesus gave to the Church He established and its apostolic leaders in Matthew 16 --- “whatsoever you hold bound on earth shall be held bound in heaven.” The Church (yes, the Catholic Church) is the authority that not only makes heavenly laws but interprets Scripture, not you or me.

These words of Jesus Christ (if you insist on your limited and faulty line of reasoning) do not bode well for homosexual relations. As it is, all sex outside of heterosexual marriage is forbidden.

Mark 7:20-23 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

Matthew 19:4-6 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Oh I don't have a problem equating homosexuality to adultery in Biblical context. Along with greed, malice, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. When I see Christians treating the issue of homosexuality equally with how they treat the issue of adultery- then I know I am dealing with an honest Christian.

The OP claimed that all Christians hated homosexuals- I was pointing out that goes directly against Jesus's commandments. Jesus did command Christians that you should love your neighbors- he didn't say 'except homosexuals'. Jesus never said you couldn't disagree with them or even reprove them- but you are supposed to love them.

And just as dealing with your children- if your idea of 'love' is nothing but chastisement and disapproval' then that is not what Jesus commanded.

New Living Translation

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible

King James Bible

NET Bible

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Jubilee Bible 2000

King James 2000 Bible

Douay-Rheims Bible

Darby Bible Translation

Matthew 19

Matthew 5

Matthew 22

Mark 12

James 2

Galatians 5

Romans 13

Oh I don't have a problem equating homosexuality to adultery in Biblical context. Along with greed, malice, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. When I see Christians treating the issue of homosexuality equally with how they treat the issue of adultery- then I know I am dealing with an honest Christian.

The OP claimed that all Christians hated homosexuals- I was pointing out that goes directly against Jesus's commandments. Jesus did command Christians that you should love your neighbors- he didn't say 'except homosexuals'. Jesus never said you couldn't disagree with them or even reprove them- but you are supposed to love them.

And just as dealing with your children- if your idea of 'love' is nothing but chastisement and disapproval' then that is not what Jesus commanded.
I missed that point you were making. (my error) The OP's claim that God hates fags or we do is surely untrue. No, God loves every soul He ever created even any if they are in hell.

Glad you agree with homosexuality not being ignored in the New Testament.

I did not say my idea of love is nothing but chastisement and disapproval. I said that was part of it.

New Living Translation

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible

King James Bible

NET Bible

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Jubilee Bible 2000

King James 2000 Bible

Douay-Rheims Bible

Darby Bible Translation

Matthew 19

Matthew 5

Matthew 22

Mark 12

James 2

Galatians 5

Romans 13

I missed that point you were making. (my error) The OP's claim that God hates fags or we do is surely untrue. No, God loves every soul He ever created even any if they are in hell.

Glad you agree with homosexuality not being ignored in the New Testament.

I did not say my idea of love is nothing but chastisement and disapproval. I said that was part of it.

Glad you agree that nothing commands Christians to hate homosexuals.

Following a California court ruling, Christian dating site ChristianMingle.com, Mormon dating site LDSSingles.com, and Jewish dating siteJDate.com – all owned by Spark Networks — must now include equal browsing rights for gay folks who for some bizarre reason want to hold on to their religious faith.​
(source)

Okay...I'm gonna lose some of my "street cred" with the progressive crowd on this one, but, I'm sorry. This is stupid. I was 100% in favour of same-sex marriage. I fully supported the rights for transgender to use whatever bathroom they wish. I'm even okay with telling a baker that a wedding cake is a wedding cake is a wedding cake. Bake the damn cake!

But this? Okay. A Christian has no right to demand that I live in accordance with their morality. The caveat of that is that it demands that the opposite also be true.

Without seriously rewriting, or reinterpreting the original language of the text of the Bible, interpreting it in a way that has never been accepted as standard in the history of linguistics, the Bible is quite clear on one thing. God hates fags, and he wants his followers to, as well. Now, I know we're gonna get a hundred moralists in here spouting "Hate the sin, not the sinner," I'll refer them to my opinion of that bit of drivel that I expound upon in my other thread on this particular forum. So, that being said, why would you want to force Christians to "let you come play"?

Isn't that rather like a black guy trying to force White Supremacists to let him join their organizations? Or a Jew trying to force neo-NAZIs to include him? I mean, you probably could force the issue if you really, really wanted to. But why would you want to be part of an organization that hates you, would would be perfectly happy seeing you cease to exist? The same holds true of gays trying to force churches to let them be members, or let them make use of their social media. Can you? Sure. But why do you want to?

Aren't there a plethora of social media, and dating services out there that don't give so much as a single fuck if you are gay, or not? Why invade the Christian services, and force them to include people they would prefer not even exist?!?

I'm just sayin...

I fully expect the thrashing from my progressive friends, any minute now...

I actually agree with you. it's a dating site. people should be able to date who they want to date.

Forum List

Back