Perspective: How It All Happened

What exactly is the point of conservative obsession with this topic?

Are you trying to prove that there was once a conservative wing of the Democratic Party,

that no longer exists?

Yes, there was. Happy now?

There was also a liberal wing of the Republican Party that no longer exists.

The last living Southern conservative Democrat of any consequence is Zell Miller,

and where did he end up?

...supporting Bush and McCain for president, and becoming a hero of the American Right.

Yes, you people, your hero...

...a Southern Democrat, the last of dying breed, who endorsed segregation in the 60's, who once worked for Lester Maddox,

who said that the Democratic Party had become too liberal and that the Republican Party now represented the conservatism that once characterized southern Democrats like himself,

yes, that Zell Miller. Any of you who want to argue that today's Democratic party bears any resemblance to the southern segregationist wing of the Democratic party of Zell Miller of the 50's and 60's,

go argue with him. He'll explain to you why the South is now dominated by Republicans.

PC, EVERYTHING you post has the same earmarks; instead of learning and having facts create your view, you start with your far right wing view and ideology, then look for ammunition.

To try to CREATE social programs as the root cause is just another attempt to take your right wing social views and find any shed of evidence you can to blame liberals and protect the elite you worship.

The War on Poverty, what it is and isn't...

There's always the 'able bodied but lazy poor person', the 'bleeding heart liberal' who just wants to hand out other people's money and of course, the clear headed 'conservative' whose 'tough love' always saves the day. Well, I refuse to play along PC. If you had the intelligence and curiosity to find out what the 'War on Poverty' was about and what it wasn't about, it would save you from all the bloviation that comes out of your ass. But it's a lot easier for you to define it under YOUR self righteous terms so you don't have to care. It is also predictable that you chose 'welfare', because that fits so neatly into your 'dependency' and 'entitlement' dismissal of others.

There are reasons for and realities to poverty, you have focused on the least of them.

When JFK's brother-in law Sargent Shriver accepted LBJ's challenge and took on the 'War on Poverty' the first thing he discovered was rather startling and disturbing. Half of the Americans living in poverty were children. Another large segment were elderly and another segment were mentally and/or physically disabled. So a HUGE segment of the poor fit the TRUE definition of a dependent. So there is an obligation as a civil society to make sure those real dependents are not trampled on or extinguished.

To address some of the players in your fairy tale, voila! We have an unabashed flaming liberal...Sargent Shriver. But I hate to disappoint you. Sargent Shriver hated welfare and had no intention of creating a handout program. He didn't believe in handouts, he believed in community action. The 'War on Poverty' was called the Office of Economic Opportunity. The core principles were opportunity, responsibility, community and empowerment. The program's aims were maximum feasible participation. One of the concepts of empowerment was poor people had a right to one-third of the seats on every local poverty program board. It was a community based program that focused on education as the keys to the city. Programs such as VISTA, Job Corps, Community Action Program, and Head Start were created to increase opportunity for the poor so they could pull themselves out of poverty with a hand UP, not a hand out. Even when Johnson effectively pulled the plug on the War on Poverty to fund the war in Vietnam, Shriver fought on and won. During the Shriver years more Americans got out of poverty than during any similar time in our history. (The Clinton years - employing the same philosophy - were the second best.)Ref

As to the discussion between PC and Carb, I now see where he is coming from the the dixiecrats being conservative. I have to say they and the goldwater folks seem an illustration of the adage "politics makes strange bed fellows."

I think a modern conservative like Goldwater or Reagan (haley barbour or huntsmen may be the only two in the last race) and perhaps Christie believe politics has to be more than simply getting your way, and politics is not the means for simply enforcing the status quo. History marches on. Mankind desires freedom. A loss is not defeat. And while compromise to gain is not a vice, compromiseing on the issue of the individual seeking freedom isn't acceptable to gain power. States rights is simply moving republican govt to its lowest electoral demoninator.

Dixiecrats were quite something different.

Dixicrats were Democrats.

They weren't Republicrats.

They became Republicans and kind of obvious considering how red the south is politically.

False.

I told you to stick to what you know best.

Here are the two things you must remember: never write a post as dumb as this again, and never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

A black dude is president and a black lady is first lady. Not to mention all the black pols and millionaires. Do you honestly think that would have happened yet if Republicans had their way?

The economy is in the tank, and his foreign policy has given us Egypt, Libya, Iran and Syria.
Do you honestly think that would have happened if some less of an ideologue had been elected?

Or is skin color that important to you?

You started the thread, twinkie. Obviously it is a subject you obsess over.

You misunderstand.

What is best for America is my obsession.

Skin color yours.

They became Republicans and kind of obvious considering how red the south is politically.

False.

Here are the two things you must remember: never write a post as dumb as this again, and never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

The South began voting Republican in presidential elections in 1964 and with only the exception of 1976 the Democratic candidate has not won the South since.

The economy is in the tank, and his foreign policy has given us Egypt, Libya, Iran and Syria.
Do you honestly think that would have happened if some less of an ideologue had been elected?

You misunderstand.

Skin color yours.

Tell us specifically what you would change.

You misunderstand.

Skin color yours.

Who is "us"?

Is this an attempt to pretend that there are sentient humans who would admit association with you?

But if the pretense makes you feel better....what the heck: six out of seven dwarfs are not happy.

Eisenhower nationalizing the NG in Little Rock, Kennedy using federal marshalls, and LBJ in effect saying to the segregationists, "Lissen up, fuckheads, you are going to change or you are going to have the federal government all over your ass for the rest of your miserable worthless lives," all of which created the necessary change. The Civil Rights Act was the lynch pin with the full force and commitment of the feebs behind it.

The worthless race haters have not forgotten, not forgiven, and are still failing to rewrite the history their way.

I wonder what would have happened to MLK and his marching if Eisenhower hadn't passed those bills?
PS....I consider Martin Luther King a great man.

Your comment is a non sequitur. Yes, MLK Jr was a great man.

Only Strom Thurmond and at least two other guys became Republicans. Let's not play the revisionist game if at all possible.

The population in general, hence the Democrats having a hard time getting elected down there, no revision necessary, south is strongly in the pockets of the Republicans since Civil Rights was enacted by a president from the Democratic Party.

False.

Shit for brains any body who ever turned a TV on during a national election since Civil Rights was passed by a president from the Democratic Party can see the south has been solidly Republican since then, if you are so ignorant of politics perhaps you should stick to a subject more up to your intellectual speed like favorite colors of nail polish.

Just how have the democrats helped the Black population in the last 50 years? :eusa_whistle:

They only gave them one broken promise after another broken promise.
carry on.....

A black dude is president and a black lady is first lady. Not to mention all the black pols and millionaires. Do you honestly think that would have happened yet if Republicans had their way?

Who crashed the economy? Our foreign policy of interventionism in the ME has been a bipartisan one. If any thing is to blame for the popular uprising throughout the ME is/was our support for brutal dictators, like the Shah, Saddam, Mubarak... for a share of their countries oil wealth.

Help me with this....

Are you genuinely stupid....or as dishonest as Jakal?

Which is it?

My suspicion is the former.....as the three renown individuals quoted in the OP are intellectual, conservative, respected, black Americans.

Kinda sticks a thumb in your eye, huh?

If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be glad to do so for you.

Oh man, your na na na boo boo style post has convinced me that what I said was untrue after you posted that mountain of evidence /sarcasm

Like I said the ONLY time your name shows up on the board is another complaint about blacks being sooooo stupid because they don't vote GOP. Those that do vote GOP you hold them up as Mensa members strickly from the way they vote.

Good job!

Poor, poor ClosedMind......one neuron short of a synapse.

1. It's 'As I said....' not 'Like I said..."

So...this seems to add credence to my suspicion...you are stupid....or, at least, uneducated.

2. " ONLY time your name shows up on the board is another complaint about blacks being sooooo stupid because they don't vote GOP..."

Proof?
None?

So...now you are making a play for 'dishonest'?

I can be Solomon here, and cut the baby in half: you're equally stupid and dishonest.

Feel better?

Tell me....how often have you been told that you're as useful as a mint-flavored suppository.

When you have nothing go for grammer errors which really add to your point which is nothing really.

My proof of you only showing up to complain about blacks is simple. You do it. And when a spotlight was put on it instead of saying "No I don't" you say "prove it".

Thanks for playing one trick pony.

Why don't you step your ass into the black community at least once for every 10 posts you make on this subject and add something to it. You wont, you'd rather sit on your perch of judgement and tell messageboards what will fix this place you see from a distance.

Arrogant? Yes. Elitist? Yes

You misunderstand.

Skin color yours.

Who is "us"?

Is this an attempt to pretend that there are sentient humans who would admit association with you?

But if the pretense makes you feel better....what the heck: six out of seven dwarfs are not happy.

'Us' refers to the more than one person reading this thread.

Now obviously you do not want to tell us, or me, or the man behind the tree, what specifically you would change.

So despite your claim to be obsessed about what is best for America,

you are incapable of even citing one single thing you would like to see done to make America better.

You're a self-hating bitch who likes to bitch, for the sake of bitching.

Good for you, you found a large category of American women you can fit right into. LOLOLOL, the Americanization of PC.

The last living Southern conservative Democrat of any consequence is Zell Miller,

and where did he end up?

...supporting Bush and McCain for president, and becoming a hero of the American Right.

...a Southern Democrat, the last of dying breed, who endorsed segregation in the 60's, who once worked for Lester Maddox,

who said that the Democratic Party had become too liberal and that the Republican Party now represented the conservatism that once characterized southern Democrats like himself,

yes, that Zell Miller. Any of you who want to argue that today's Democratic party bears any resemblance to the southern segregationist wing of the Democratic party of Zell Miller of the 50's and 60's,

go argue with him. He'll explain to you why the South is now dominated by Republicans.

Gee, none of you want to talk about Zell Miller? Zell Miller the actual real life Southern Democrat who precisely fits the description of the kind of Democrat you people are trying to smear the Democratic Party as a whole with?

You managed to bring up the late Robert Byrd in a derogatory manner, well, comon...

...let's talk about Zell Miller.

and where did he end up?

Gee, none of you want to talk about Zell Miller? Zell Miller the actual real life Southern Democrat who precisely fits the description of the kind of Democrat you people are trying to smear the Democratic Party as a whole with?

You managed to bring up the late Robert Byrd in a derogatory manner, well, comon...

I can only guess that you are admitting that the democrat party really has gone all liberal on us, Carb. When Miller retired he had stated that the party left him behind....he wasn't referring to segregation, he was referring to the liberalism. Kennedy wouldn't have been a democrat in todays version of your party.

and where did he end up?

I can only guess that you are admitting that the democrat party really has gone all liberal on us, Carb. When Miller retired he had stated that the party left him behind....he wasn't referring to segregation, he was referring to the liberalism. Kennedy wouldn't have been a democrat in todays version of your party.

1. Haven't you just acknowledged that I have proven the point that many of us make over and over and over again when this topic appears over and over and over again, i.e.,

that the lame attempt to make some guilt-by-association charge against the modern day Democratic Party by bringing up ONE faction of the Democratic Party from the past, the conservative states rights faction, that no longer exists in the Democratic Party,

is stupid?

2. Kennedy was more liberal than Obama, if you are willing to adjust your perspective to take into account the different eras.

Eisenhower nationalizing the NG in Little Rock, Kennedy using federal marshalls, and LBJ in effect saying to the segregationists, "Lissen up, fuckheads, you are going to change or you are going to have the federal government all over your ass for the rest of your miserable worthless lives," all of which created the necessary change. The Civil Rights Act was the lynch pin with the full force and commitment of the feebs behind it.

The worthless race haters have not forgotten, not forgiven, and are still failing to rewrite the history their way.

I wonder what would have happened to MLK and his marching if Eisenhower hadn't passed those bills?
PS....I consider Martin Luther King a great man.

Where's the Eisenhower wing of the Republican Party today?

One should not cut and paste crazy articles from sources that dont even know the name of the Democratic Party, they are not credible sources, and many things change over a hundred years, read about the positions Republican Presidents like Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt took and you will see they were opposite of what today's Republican Party stands for.

You would be well advised to stick to things you actually know about....like favorite Crayola, and the schedule of the 24-hour Cartoon Network.

Say the person that does not even know the name of one of the two major political parties in the U.S. and is pasting this absurd nonsense.

remind you of trip?

and where did he end up?

Where do you come up with this shit Meister? Both parties have moved to the right. I remember voting for a Republican Senator (Javits) who was proud to be a liberal Republican. The Governor of New York was proud to be a liberal Republican.

John F. Kennedy was proud to be a liberal.

Accepting the NY Liberal Party Nomination, 1960

kennedy_film_large_thumb.jpg

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

But first, I would like to say what I understand the word "Liberal" to mean and explain in the process why I consider myself to be a "Liberal," and what it means in the presidential election of 1960.

In short, having set forth my view -- I hope for all time -- two nights ago in Houston, on the proper relationship between church and state, I want to take the opportunity to set forth my views on the proper relationship between the state and the citizen. This is my political credo:

I believe in human dignity as the source of national purpose, in human liberty as the source of national action, in the human heart as the source of national compassion, and in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas. It is, I believe, the faith in our fellow citizens as individuals and as people that lies at the heart of the liberal faith. For liberalism is not so much a party creed or set of fixed platform promises as it is an attitude of mind and heart, a faith in man's ability through the experiences of his reason and judgment to increase for himself and his fellow men the amount of justice and freedom and brotherhood which all human life deserves.

I believe also in the United States of America, in the promise that it contains and has contained throughout our history of producing a society so abundant and creative and so free and responsible that it cannot only fulfill the aspirations of its citizens, but serve equally well as a beacon for all mankind. I do not believe in a superstate. I see no magic in tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned. I abhor the waste and incompetence of large-scale federal bureaucracies in this administration as well as in others. I do not favor state compulsion when voluntary individual effort can do the job and do it well. But I believe in a government which acts, which exercises its full powers and full responsibilities. Government is an art and a precious obligation; and when it has a job to do, I believe it should do it. And this requires not only great ends but that we propose concrete means of achieving them.

Forum List

Back