Perspective: How It All Happened

The real thing was in the Senate. It split Goldwater guys from the moderates. And, it set up the 64 gop primary where Dirksen and Rockefeller lost the party. Then there were the assinations and riots. And that set up Nixon for his machivillan dance.

Yup, there was 1 southern republican senator and 10 southern republican house members total voting.

And all eleven voted against it.

Yup, but I wouldn't call it a north, west, south thing with just 11 total votes out of the entire senate and congress. just sayin.....

When you look at the votes, yes, clearly, the North and the West voted against the South. Your own posts bear that interp clearly.

[e. And the Goldwater states went right back to voting Democrat for decades…

'

Wrong. For example:

Goldwater won Mississippi -

in the next 6 presidential elections MS went Independent (Wallace), Republican, Democratic, Republican, Republican, Republican.

Now, which Goldwater states were you referring to when you erroneously included Mississippi?

lol

well pretty much the old south went goldwater and wallace.

Every one of PC's posts are about blacks and how stupid they are if they don't vote GOP. It's a winning message yanno

Help me with this....

Are you genuinely stupid....or as dishonest as Jakal?

Which is it?

My suspicion is the former.....as the three renown individuals quoted in the OP are intellectual, conservative, respected, black Americans.

Kinda sticks a thumb in your eye, huh?

If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be glad to do so for you.

Oh man, your na na na boo boo style post has convinced me that what I said was untrue after you posted that mountain of evidence /sarcasm

Like I said the ONLY time your name shows up on the board is another complaint about blacks being sooooo stupid because they don't vote GOP. Those that do vote GOP you hold them up as Mensa members strickly from the way they vote.

Good job!

Poor, poor ClosedMind......one neuron short of a synapse.

1. It's 'As I said....' not 'Like I said..."

So...this seems to add credence to my suspicion...you are stupid....or, at least, uneducated.

2. " ONLY time your name shows up on the board is another complaint about blacks being sooooo stupid because they don't vote GOP..."

Proof?
None?

So...now you are making a play for 'dishonest'?

I can be Solomon here, and cut the baby in half: you're equally stupid and dishonest.

Feel better?

Tell me....how often have you been told that you're as useful as a mint-flavored suppository.

ClosedCaption spanks PC, and of course the baby squalls. What else can she do?

The Civil Rights bill was passed with a coalition of Northern Republicans and Northern Democrats. They defeated the coalition of Southern Democrats and Southern Republicans. The southern population of course blamed President Johnson, a Democrat, and soon began voting for Republicans. Which is ironic because a hundred years ago the southern population was hell bent on killing as many Republicans activist (giving Blacks voting rights) as possible.

The most damning quote Lyndon Johnson ever uttered was this one:

"I'll have those ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years!"

So I doubt your explanation holds any weight as you believe it does. Trying to blame Republicans for this is a futile effort.

It was a rebuttal that Democrats were the party responsible for passing the Civil Rights Act.

Actually I give/gave the Northern Republicans credit where it was due. The bill would not have passed if they all voted against it. Southern Republicans, meh, not so much.

I also give them credit for taking over the majority in Southern States.

Yeah...sure, whatever you say, Carb. :rolleyes:

Okay, then name a position you know that I hold on an issue that is not supported as I stated above, if you can,

and I'll counter with one that is supported,

and we'll see who runs out of issues first.

Either that or shut the fuck up your stupidity is as always a torment.

Embrace your ideology, Carb....just admit to it, dude.
What's with the name calling, did I hit a nerve? :razz:

So you can't even name one. lol, even I could name one.

Dems are the party of public housing, inner city public education, government as male head of household, Tuskegee Experiments and "I'll have them ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years"

Of course, that's not what's taught in our schools

Okay, then name a position you know that I hold on an issue that is not supported as I stated above, if you can,

and I'll counter with one that is supported,

and we'll see who runs out of issues first.

Either that or shut the fuck up your stupidity is as always a torment.

Embrace your ideology, Carb....just admit to it, dude.
What's with the name calling, did I hit a nerve? :razz:

So you can't even name one. lol, even I could name one.

I could name several....I'm not playing your game, dude. :eusa_hand:
People on this board already know what your about....even your own liberals. :eusa_shhh:

*”These Negroes, they‘re getting pretty uppity these days and that‘s a problem for us since they‘ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we‘ve got to do something about this, we‘ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”

“I’ll have them ******* voting Democratic for the next two hundred years.”
~Lyndon B. Johnson (Democrat)

Vote totals[edit]
Totals are in "Yea–Nay" format:
The original House version: 290–130 (69–31%).
Cloture in the Senate: 71–29 (71–29%).
The Senate version: 73–27 (73–27%).
The Senate version, as voted on by the House: 289–126 (70–30%).
By party
The original House version:[16]
Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[17]
Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version:[16]
Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[16]
Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)
By party and region
Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.
The original House version:
Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)
The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%) (John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do understand that the Southern Democrats of those times were ideologically CONSERVATIVE right?

The most important points: all the segregationists in the Senate were Democrats, and remained same for the rest of their lives…except for one. And they were not conservative.

a. Strom Thurmond became a Republican, albeit 16 years later. Lets see how many of the 12 in the Senate were conservative.

b. Senator Harry Byrd, staunch opponent of anti-communist McCarthy

c. Senator Robert Byrd, proabortion, opposed Gulf Wars, supported ERA, high grades from NARAL and ACLU

d. Senator Allen Ellender, McCarthy opponent, pacifist

e. Senator Sam Ervin, McCarthy opponent, anti-Vietnam War, Nixon antagonist

f. Senator Albert Gore, Sr., McCarthy opponent, anti-Vietnam War

g. Senator James Eastland, strong anti-communist

h. Senator Wm. Fulbright, McCarthy opponent, anti-Vietnam War, big UN supporter

i. Senator Walter F. George, supported TVA, and Great Society programs

j. Senator Ernest Hollings, initiated federal food stamp program, …but supported Clarence Thomas’ nomination

k. Senator Russell Long, led the campaign for Great Society programs

l. Senator Richard Russell, McCarthy opponent, anti-Vietnam War, supported FDR’s New Deal

m. Senator John Stennis, McCarthy opponent, opposed Robert Bork’s nomination
Notice how segregationist positions went hand-in-hand with opposition to McCarthy? Not all Democrats….Robert Kennedy worked for McCarthy, and Senator John F. Kenned refused to censure him.
Coulter

*”These Negroes, they‘re getting pretty uppity these days and that‘s a problem for us since they‘ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we‘ve got to do something about this, we‘ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”

Vote totals[edit]
By party
By party and region
Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.
The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)

You do understand that the Southern Democrats of those times were ideologically CONSERVATIVE right?

The most important points: all the segregationists in the Senate were Democrats, and remained same for the rest of their lives…except for one. And they were not conservative.

a. Strom Thurmond became a Republican, albeit 16 years later. Lets see how many of the 12 in the Senate were conservative.

c. Senator Robert Byrd, proabortion, opposed Gulf Wars, supported ERA, high grades from NARAL and ACLU

j. Senator Ernest Hollings, initiated federal food stamp program, …but supported Clarence Thomas’ nomination

l. Senator Richard Russell, McCarthy opponent, anti-Vietnam War, supported FDR’s New Deal

Notice how segregationist positions went hand-in-hand with opposition to McCarthy? Not all Democrats….Robert Kennedy worked for McCarthy, and Senator John F. Kenned refused to censure him.
Coulter

The entire South voted for Ronald Reagan twice, with the exception of Carter's home state of Georgia.

Are you prepared to tell us that those were states dominated by LIBERAL Democrats who voted first overwhelmingly for the father of modern conservatism, Barry Goldwater, and then twice for the other father of modern conservatism, Ronald Reagan?

That's so laughably stupid that it belongs in a parody doing a comic portrayal of a stupid conservative.

btw, didn't you get beaten to within an inch of your pseudo-intellectual life on this very same topic, in another thread you started, about a month or so ago?

Are you trying to confirm my rule about the Conservative Myths that never Die?

Because it is not true, Frank: merely a wack reactionary interp.

You keep saying it's not true, Jake.
Where did you get your info?
Ron Kessler wrote a book, "Inside The White House" who was a trusted journalist that says differently. Not to mention other valid sources.
Did you know that Eisenhower's two sponsored Civil Rights Bills were rejected by LBJ back in the 50's?

Last edited:

Vote totals[edit]
By party
By party and region
The Senate version:

Coulter

1. Do you understand that supporting states' rights (which was the basis for opposing federally mandated civil rights for blacks)

is by definition a CONSERVATIVE position?

2. Are you prepared to claim that Zell Miller, one of the last of Southern Democrat politicians from that era,

is a LIBERAL??????

btw, I number the questions so you can avoid answering them in sequence.

Ron Kessler wrote a book, "Inside The White House" who was a trusted journalist that says differently. Not to mention other valid sources.
Did you know that Eisenhower's two sponsered Civil Rights Bills were rejected by LBJ back in the 50's?

Do you know that the party of Eisenhower got about 39% of the black vote in 1956?

That means that the Republican party over the last 50 years has 'evolved' itself into losing about 80% of the black vote that it used to get.

Now, seriously, do you really want to argue that that happened for no reason?

Did you know that Eisenhower's two sponsered Civil Rights Bills were rejected by LBJ back in the 50's?

Do you know that the party of Eisenhower got about 39% of the black vote in 1956?

That means that the Republican party over the last 50 years has 'evolved' itself into losing about 80% of the black vote that it used to get.

Now, seriously, do you really want to argue that that happened for no reason?

You are really grasping now, aren't you?

When you take into account all the promises made to the Blacks and the giveaways from the democrats, yes, they will be led around like sheep. But, to this day, they really aren't any better off than they were 50 years ago, Carb. Wake up, dude.
You should be embarrassed at this point....but......

Vote for the shining beacon which is the GOP and we will clean up these fricking darkies, homos, ragheads, and spics the Democrats have allowed to overrun our precious land since those dark days half a century ago when they unleashed the mud people on us.

Papers! Papers, please!

Not holding back any punches today :lol:

Just how have the democrats helped the Black population in the last 50 years? :eusa_whistle:

They only gave them one broken promise after another broken promise.
carry on.....

A black dude is president and a black lady is first lady. Not to mention all the black pols and millionaires. Do you honestly think that would have happened yet if Republicans had their way?

Not holding back any punches today :lol:

Just how have the democrats helped the Black population in the last 50 years? :eusa_whistle:

They only gave them one broken promise after another broken promise.
carry on.....

A black dude is president and a black lady is first lady. Not to mention all the black pols and millionaires. Do you honestly think that would have happened yet if Republicans had their way?

Yes I do. The ball started rolling under Eisenhower in the 1950's with his civil right bills that were passed, Ravi.
There are those that believe more progress was made in the years leading up to LBJ's civil rights bills than since the LBJ bills were passed.

Forum List

Back