Trump Seeks To Calm Markets

Well, last night Trump came on and gave his speech (an hour late I might add), and tried to calm the markets and tell everyone that it was all good and there was nothing to worry about.

Today, the markets tanked yet again. At this rate, Trump is going to reach what the stock market was at when he got into office.
If that is calming the market....he needs to STFU

You know, I just looked up what the stock market closed at on 20 Jan 2017, the day Trump was sworn in..................guess what it was?

Stock Market News for January 20, 2017

Guess what the stock market closed at today?

Trump has pretty much erased all the gains the stock market had made while he was in office. If it drops much more, it will be LOWER than what it was when Obama left office.

Tired of all this winning yet?

I don't know why Trump started this coronavirus. Everybody (at least on the left) knows it's all his fault.

Interestingly enough, people on the left seem to know that Trump didn't cause the virus, but you conservatives still seem to have a problem understanding that.

No, I don't blame Trump for the virus, but I do blame him for his piss poor handling of the situation. And no, contradicting doctors who have spent their whole life practicing medicine isn't helpful. Matter of fact, all it does is confuse the issue, making getting accurate information a bit more difficult.

It also leaves the door open for snake oil salesmen and con artists. They will tell you they have a product that cures it, but there isn't anything out there yet that works.
Trumps tactics of ignoring, denial and then spreading disinformation about the virus did not help our response.
Only now is he playing like he is serious

Well, last night Trump came on and gave his speech (an hour late I might add), and tried to calm the markets and tell everyone that it was all good and there was nothing to worry about.

Today, the markets tanked yet again. At this rate, Trump is going to reach what the stock market was at when he got into office.
If that is calming the market....he needs to STFU
The idiot doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut...

The day he dies, his mouth will still be flapping 30 minutes after the heart stops...

========

"The wise man speaks when he has something to say... the fool speaks because he has to say something." *

* Perfect analysis of the Orange Baboon.

You know, I just looked up what the stock market closed at on 20 Jan 2017, the day Trump was sworn in..................guess what it was?

Trump has pretty much erased all the gains the stock market had made while he was in office. If it drops much more, it will be LOWER than what it was when Obama left office.

I don't know why Trump started this coronavirus. Everybody (at least on the left) knows it's all his fault.

Interestingly enough, people on the left seem to know that Trump didn't cause the virus, but you conservatives still seem to have a problem understanding that.

No, I don't blame Trump for the virus, but I do blame him for his piss poor handling of the situation. And no, contradicting doctors who have spent their whole life practicing medicine isn't helpful. Matter of fact, all it does is confuse the issue, making getting accurate information a bit more difficult.

It also leaves the door open for snake oil salesmen and con artists. They will tell you they have a product that cures it, but there isn't anything out there yet that works.

Yes there is, but it has to undergo our lengthy testing. You can't just make a vaccine and market it in a month or two.

There is nothing wrong with the way Trump is handling it. He's trying to calm people down while taking necessary action on this virus. But it isn't easy.

House Republican leaders are calling on Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to pull a bill that would rescind President Trump’s controversial travel ban, arguing it could hinder the administration’s ability to limit the number of individuals entering the U.S. from countries that have faced widespread outbreaks of coronavirus.

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) said on Tuesday that while he believes the Democratic-led bill, which is slated to come to the floor this week, is “bad policy” that limits the administration’s ability to vet potential terrorists, it could also have unintended consequences in spreading the virus. The Louisiana Republican cited Trump’s decision to limit the number of people coming in from China as a necessary precaution amid early reports of the widespread outbreak in that country, telling reporters the bill could create obstacles for officials looking to prevent the spread of the disease.

GOP leaders call on Pelosi to pull travel ban bill over coronavirus

From January 31st of this year.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) ripped President Trump’s expanded travel ban after he included six other countries to the list of those that will face increased travel restrictions.

“The Trump Administration’s expansion of its outrageous, un-American travel ban threatens our security, our values and the rule of law. The sweeping rule, barring more than 350 million individuals from predominantly African nations from traveling to the United States, is discrimination disguised as policy,” Pelosi said in a statement.

“With this latest callous decision, the President has doubled down on his cruelty and further undermined our global leadership, our Constitution and our proud heritage as a nation of immigrants,” she added.

Pelosi: Trump's expanded travel ban is 'outrageous, un-American' and threatens 'rule of law'

Yes there is, but it has to undergo our lengthy testing. You can't just make a vaccine and market it in a month or two.

There is nothing wrong with the way Trump is handling it. He's trying to calm people down while taking necessary action on this virus. But it isn't easy.

House Republican leaders are calling on Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to pull a bill that would rescind President Trump’s controversial travel ban, arguing it could hinder the administration’s ability to limit the number of individuals entering the U.S. from countries that have faced widespread outbreaks of coronavirus.

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) said on Tuesday that while he believes the Democratic-led bill, which is slated to come to the floor this week, is “bad policy” that limits the administration’s ability to vet potential terrorists, it could also have unintended consequences in spreading the virus. The Louisiana Republican cited Trump’s decision to limit the number of people coming in from China as a necessary precaution amid early reports of the widespread outbreak in that country, telling reporters the bill could create obstacles for officials looking to prevent the spread of the disease.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) ripped President Trump’s expanded travel ban after he included six other countries to the list of those that will face increased travel restrictions.

“The Trump Administration’s expansion of its outrageous, un-American travel ban threatens our security, our values and the rule of law. The sweeping rule, barring more than 350 million individuals from predominantly African nations from traveling to the United States, is discrimination disguised as policy,” Pelosi said in a statement.

“With this latest callous decision, the President has doubled down on his cruelty and further undermined our global leadership, our Constitution and our proud heritage as a nation of immigrants,” she added.

Pelosi: Trump's expanded travel ban is 'outrageous, un-American' and threatens 'rule of law'

You know, I do understand that vaccines take a bit of time, as there are lots of variables to consider.

What I don't understand is the lack of test kits. S. Korea is testing 20,000 people per day, and they even have drive through testing. If Trump is so smart and this country is so great, why have we only tested around 5,000 people so far?

‘We're behind the curve’: U.S. hospitals confront the challenges of large-scale coronavirus testing | Science | AAAS

In the United States, in contrast, COVID-19 cases are climbing at an alarming rate, and people who have received tests for the virus, SARS-CoV-2, remain few and far between. (No official number exists, but fewer than 5000 people in the United States had received a test as of 9 March, according to an Atlantic article that attempted to tally the total.) The White House coronavirus task force has insisted that early problems created by a faulty test distributed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have been overcome and that the U.S. government has increased production of functioning diagnostic kits. There has also been a push to move testing away from CDC itself and state labs to hospitals and commercial companies. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on 29 February changed its regulations to allow diagnostic labs that previously have met federal quality standards to modify the CDC protocol or design their own kits.

You know, I do understand that vaccines take a bit of time, as there are lots of variables to consider.

What I don't understand is the lack of test kits. S. Korea is testing 20,000 people per day, and they even have drive through testing. If Trump is so smart and this country is so great, why have we only tested around 5,000 people so far?

‘We're behind the curve’: U.S. hospitals confront the challenges of large-scale coronavirus testing | Science | AAAS

In the United States, in contrast, COVID-19 cases are climbing at an alarming rate, and people who have received tests for the virus, SARS-CoV-2, remain few and far between. (No official number exists, but fewer than 5000 people in the United States had received a test as of 9 March, according to an Atlantic article that attempted to tally the total.) The White House coronavirus task force has insisted that early problems created by a faulty test distributed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have been overcome and that the U.S. government has increased production of functioning diagnostic kits. There has also been a push to move testing away from CDC itself and state labs to hospitals and commercial companies. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on 29 February changed its regulations to allow diagnostic labs that previously have met federal quality standards to modify the CDC protocol or design their own kits.
Other countries are testing their way out of this

Until we can do the same, we have no way of containing the spread

...There is nothing wrong with the way Trump is handling it. He's trying to calm people down while taking necessary action on this virus. But it isn't easy. ..
Your boy has all the credibility of Pinocchio.

Perhaps the fool should not have shot off his uninformed mouth and made light of it, earlier, and overseen preparation, the right way.

He's little more than a New York City real-estate con-man, flim-flam man, show-man, and amateur politician who managed to get elected.

He's in
way-the-hell over his head, and it shows... man-oh-man, does it show.

The Republic would be better off if he self-quarantined and somebody locked his Twitter account for the duration.

...There is nothing wrong with the way Trump is handling it. He's trying to calm people down while taking necessary action on this virus. But it isn't easy. ..
Your boy has all the credibility of Pinocchio.

Perhaps the fool should not have shot off his uninformed mouth and made light of it, earlier, and overseen preparation, the right way.

He's little more than a New York City real-estate con-man, flim-flam man, show-man, and amateur politician who managed to get elected.

He's in
way-the-hell over his head, and it shows... man-oh-man, does it show.

The Republic would be better off if he self-quarantined and somebody locked his Twitter account for the duration.

And just what are you going to say when this all blows over and everything is just fine; the market going back up and then some; travel increases; an economy that held strong in spite of it all? Will you give our President any credit whatsoever? Of course not, you'll say it's a continuation of Obama's policies.

Do you really think that if our President "didn't shoot off his mouth, made light of it" that would have changed our plight any? As for preparation, as I have demonstrated, Democrats constantly get in his way, not only with this situation, but everything positive he tries to do in this country.

Your hatred has dominated your common sense, just like it has with so many TDS victims. I sadly ponder what's more contagious. And if you look at how the Democrat House has addressed this situation, you should than your Lord that Hillary was not part of it, or she would have went right along with them, and our problem would be tenfold at this point.

Yep...add to that this...

Shale In Crisis As Oil Prices Collapse | OilPrice.com

For U.S. shale, a disaster lies ahead. The industry has been largely unprofitable to date, but had received several rounds of huge injections of capital in the last decade, most recently following the 2016 downturn. But by last year, investors had begun to sour on unprofitable shale drilling.
Good. I hate fracking.

You hate the thousands of jobs fracking is responsible for? You hate paying lower natural gas, propane and gasoline prices? You hate us reducing our carbon footprint?
I guess some people just don't like gas fumes coming out of their faucets, their water supplies contaminated with a hundred different toxic chemicals or their natural environment despoiled by fracking companies. Go figure..huh?

Most of that is myth, but people allow fracking on their land all the time with no problems.

Is there anything mythical about the hundreds of earthquakes Oklahoma has experienced from the fracking waste-water being injected back into the ground?

Oklahoma Toughens Oil Fracking Rules After Shale Earthquakes

That's the result of Man Mad Global Warming, Dummy.

Nah. You're reading too much into this. Between 50,000 and 70,000 people die from the flu every year. And yet life goes on.

Interesting darwinistic lifestyle: As long as others die, no one has to take care.

The problem in context Corona is similar: with the exception no one knows Corona. In the end could die millions. No one knows. But to do nothing or to do the wrong things will be counterproductive.

In the world exist some regions with a good organisation in health care - and some regions with a more bad health care. The USA forbids people from nations with a good health care system to visit the USA. What a strange form of logic: 'Nowhere is Corana, where no one is able to test people'.

Here in Germany it would be easy to test the people, who like to fly in the USA. The very big problem of Trump is his lone fighter mentality - and another problem are people with a darwinistic mentality (ala: 'I don't care whether your parents or grand-parents will die. I will survive!'). Austria for example 'closed' the borders to Italy - exception: medical certificate.

By the way: Knows 'the USA' when someone dies on Corona and not on influenca? What do you know at all in your medical databases about the reasons of death from people who live and die in your country without health insurance?

Last edited:
...And just what are you going to say when this all blows over and everything is just fine...
i am going to say that during a national emergency, we lacked credible, competent, effective leadership.

...the market going back up...
Considering that it's presently nearly in the basement, an eventual (and probably modest and painfully slow) rise isn't difficult to predict.

...and then some; travel increases...
A sideline issue at best.

...an economy that held strong in spite of it all?...
Don't look now, but we've already matched Black Monday, deep into Bear Territory and already in a Recession that continues to deepen.

...Will you give our President any credit whatsoever?...
Whatever for? What specifically has he done that (a) prepared the US for this healthcare crisis or (b) stabilized markets?

...Of course not, you'll say it's a continuation of Obama's policies...
No. As Pubs have been claiming for three-plus years now, it's not Obama's Economy now, it's Trump's. Enjoy.

...Do you really think that if our President "didn't shoot off his mouth, made light of it" that would have changed our plight any?...
Unknown. A rational, fact-based, proactive posture by the Federal government would have had us taking Testing seriously weeks ago.

As it was... all we got was highly un-presidential, idiotic blather that so many of his Sheeple bought into for weeks, until Reality set in.

Turns out your boy is an Empty Suit when we need empathetic, competent, proactive fact-based leadership the most. Not surprising.

It's a major character flaw that his cult-followers have been willing to overlook so long as he keeps the Mexicans on their side of the river.

As for preparation, as I have demonstrated, Democrats constantly get in his way, not only with this situation, but everything positive he tries to do in this country...
"The Buck stops here." ...excuses are irrelevant at times like this.

Your hatred has dominated your common sense, just like it has with so many TDS victims...
It's not hatred. It's contempt. And certainty that he is the Wrong Man At The Wrong Time, now that we actually need thoughtful leadership.

... I sadly ponder what's more contagious...
Immaterial.

...And if you look at how the Democrat House has addressed this situation...
How have they handled it?

The CDC, HHS, et al are Executive Departments, yes?

you should than your Lord that Hillary was not part of it, or she would have went right along with them, and our problem would be tenfold at this point.
Shrillary is yesterday's news and has no place in discussions of Trump's pathetic Empty Suit mode of non-leadership.

After the 11th worst day in the history of the stock market, media-averting Trump was forced to take the stage yet again to attempt to calm the markets.

The plan has several elements. First, a payroll tax cut. Second, some kind of unspecified relief for businesses. And finally, some kind of relief for people who can't take time off from work if they come down with the bug because they live from paycheck to paycheck. Absolutely no details were given for what that third action item will be.

Of course, all of these plans are very big, huge, wonderful, terrific, and the best anyone has ever seen...

So, if you have to stay home because you *cough* might have *cough* the coronavirus *achoo!*, excuse me, and will get paid for it, that is not going to be *cough hack cough* wide open to fraud and abuse or anything...

Trump floats payroll tax cut, other financial relief amid coronavirus outbreak

If testing is available then that can cut down on fraud and abuse and on this I tend to take the side of precaution.

Payroll taxcuts I don't think will do much, sure it will temporarily boost the stock market but it doesn't resolve anything.

The other is just corporate bailouts.

If things keep sliding, the feds will cut the interest rate a quarter or half point to get the ball rolling again.

They've been cut, here we are. Also a lot of people are pulling out of the market and putting it in interest earning bonds, cds etc. I'm sure they'll love that awesome rate of return.
Just remember when there's blood in the streets it's time to nibble Implied futures up over 1000

...And just what are you going to say when this all blows over and everything is just fine...
i am going to say that during a national emergency, we lacked credible, competent, effective leadership.

...the market going back up...
Considering that it's presently nearly in the basement, an eventual (and probably modest and painfully slow) rise isn't difficult to predict.

...and then some; travel increases...
A sideline issue at best.

...an economy that held strong in spite of it all?...
Don't look now, but we've already matched Black Monday, deep into Bear Territory and already in a Recession that continues to deepen.

...Will you give our President any credit whatsoever?...
Whatever for? What specifically has he done that (a) prepared the US for this healthcare crisis or (b) stabilized markets?

...Of course not, you'll say it's a continuation of Obama's policies...
No. As Pubs have been claiming for three-plus years now, it's not Obama's Economy now, it's Trump's. Enjoy.

...Do you really think that if our President "didn't shoot off his mouth, made light of it" that would have changed our plight any?...
Unknown. A rational, fact-based, proactive posture by the Federal government would have had us taking Testing seriously weeks ago.

As it was... all we got was highly un-presidential, idiotic blather that so many of his Sheeple bought into for weeks, until Reality set in.

Turns out your boy is an Empty Suit when we need empathetic, competent, proactive fact-based leadership the most. Not surprising.

It's a major character flaw that his cult-followers have been willing to overlook so long as he keeps the Mexicans on their side of the river.

As for preparation, as I have demonstrated, Democrats constantly get in his way, not only with this situation, but everything positive he tries to do in this country...
"The Buck stops here." ...excuses are irrelevant at times like this.

Your hatred has dominated your common sense, just like it has with so many TDS victims...
It's not hatred. It's contempt. And certainty that he is the Wrong Man At The Wrong Time, now that we actually need thoughtful leadership.

... I sadly ponder what's more contagious...
Immaterial.

...And if you look at how the Democrat House has addressed this situation...
How have they handled it?

The CDC, HHS, et al are Executive Departments, yes?

you should than your Lord that Hillary was not part of it, or she would have went right along with them, and our problem would be tenfold at this point.
Shrillary is yesterday's news and has no place in discussions of Trump's pathetic Empty Suit mode of non-leadership.
Don't you know ,,it's a hoax?

The biggest problem for Trump is that nobody trusts what he says. Everyone assumes what he is telling us is a lie.

Trump will make a proclamation and then the cameras turn to the leader of CDC to find out what we should really do.

I suggest you learn what determines a recession. Hint: It has nothing to do with the stock market.

You precious MSM is more responsible for the markets if anything. There is only so much a President can do. Trump instated more travel bans when the WHO issued a warning. The Democrats called his actions disguised racism.

And WTF would that have done? Did you get tested yet? Of course not, and neither did most of us here.

The biggest problem for Trump is that nobody trusts what he says. Everyone assumes what he is telling us is a lie.

Trump will make a proclamation and then the cameras turn to the leader of CDC to find out what we should really do.

Trump says always nonsense. Take his meeting with Bolsonaro as an example. Directly in his near was Fábio Wajngarten, who was infected with Corona. Meanwhile is clear Bolsonaro is infected too. Donald Trump on his own is a member of a risk group (high age). It's said he himselve did not like to make a test and it's said he said he feels comfortable. That's u-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e. If he made a test and he is not infected, then he is a liar. But if he made indeed no test then he is a kind of suicidal man, who's doing suicide by idiocy: a Russian roulette player.

I fear nearly nothing what Donald Trump says in this (and other) contextes - nor the opposite of this what he says - makes any sense. But whatever he really did - he gives to everyone the wrong signal by underreacting and overreacting nearly the same time. Looks like in his narcissism he is not able to accept any critics. Seems like he's only able to accept spitlickers around him. But it's not possible to win a war against a virus with "loyal" spitlickers and without to accept scientific research and experts in medicine and mathematics, philosophy, physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, sociology ... and so on and so on. Not every problem is able to be solved with a big $-sign in a poor empty brain and with people who pray to it and him.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back