Trump selects JD Vance for VP

I’m a bit surprised, but not shocked. I thought he would select Nikki Haley
I am glad he rose above identity politics and DEI selection and chose someone who he believes will fight for the country.

Good solid pick... I bet Bergram will be chief of staff....
Vance has most definitely established his anti-democracy bona fides which makes him a great future sock puppet.

Yet his worldview is fundamentally incompatible with the basic principles of American democracy.

Vance has said that, had he been vice president in 2020, he would have carried out Trump’s scheme for the vice president to overturn the election results. He has fundraised for January 6 rioters. He once called on the Justice Department to open a criminal investigation into a Washington Post columnist who penned a critical piece about Trump. After last week’s assassination attempt on Trump, he attempted to whitewash his radicalism by blaming the shooting on Democrats’ rhetoric about democracy without an iota of evidence.

This worldview translates into a very aggressive agenda for a second Trump presidency. In a podcast interview, Vance said that Trump should “fire every single mid-level bureaucrat” in the US government and “replace them with our people.” If the courts attempt to stop this, Vance says, Trump should simply ignore the law.

“You stand before the country, like Andrew Jackson did, and say the chief justice has made his ruling, now let him enforce it,” he declares.

You’re not going to trip up Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio) by presenting him with his past disparagements of Donald Trump. Vance has spent years reframing those comments, as when he said that Trump was “leading our political discourse to a very negative place.” His spin is that he was wrong and Trump’s presidency was great, and that was enough to get Trump to endorse him in 2022 and propel him to his current position.

Well, that and a repeated willingness to embrace Trump’s rhetoric, no matter how negative the place where Vance later ends up. As when he said during an interview Sunday that he would have done exactly what Trump wanted on Jan. 6, 2021, and blocked electors from states that voted for Joe Biden — triggering a dangerous challenge to American democracy.

On the surface, I would have went with a woman or minority.
They must feel Vance will help them with the youth vote. Ohio is already pretty red, so Trump would more than likely win it anyway.

I can see the ads now, just another 'all-white male ticket'.

A woman or a minority?

Why wouldn't you want the best person for the job instead just the right skin color or sex?

That's part of what's wrong with America right now is everyone is worried about what someone's skin color or sex or sexual preference is. That's exactly how you end up with the absolutely worst possible people for a job.

Sure wouldn't surprise me. The DNC is likely while we speak, making plans to pay someone, anyone, to come forward with a story.
They'll likely wait however, until closer to the election to release any story that is out there.

I'm sure the "victim" is already briefed and was prepared to assassinate the character of any prospective VP choice. The same professional "victim" would have been used if Little Marco or anyone else had been picked instead.

See. Moronic race baiting is all they have,
It was the MAGA choice. He wasn't going to choose Tim Scott (who's been sucking up to him so hard lately), or Nikki Haley (RINO), or even Marco Rubio (Trump has no respect for Lil Marco after 2016).

He chose a young, religious leaning zealot from a nice, safe white red state.
Same as he did with Pence in 2016.

This is just observation and fact. :)

Vance has most definitely established his anti-democracy bona fides which makes him a great future sock puppet.

Yet his worldview is fundamentally incompatible with the basic principles of American democracy.

Vance has said that, had he been vice president in 2020, he would have carried out Trump’s scheme for the vice president to overturn the election results. He has fundraised for January 6 rioters. He once called on the Justice Department to open a criminal investigation into a Washington Post columnist who penned a critical piece about Trump. After last week’s assassination attempt on Trump, he attempted to whitewash his radicalism by blaming the shooting on Democrats’ rhetoric about democracy without an iota of evidence.

This worldview translates into a very aggressive agenda for a second Trump presidency. In a podcast interview, Vance said that Trump should “fire every single mid-level bureaucrat” in the US government and “replace them with our people.” If the courts attempt to stop this, Vance says, Trump should simply ignore the law.

“You stand before the country, like Andrew Jackson did, and say the chief justice has made his ruling, now let him enforce it,” he declares.

You’re not going to trip up Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio) by presenting him with his past disparagements of Donald Trump. Vance has spent years reframing those comments, as when he said that Trump was “leading our political discourse to a very negative place.” His spin is that he was wrong and Trump’s presidency was great, and that was enough to get Trump to endorse him in 2022 and propel him to his current position.

Well, that and a repeated willingness to embrace Trump’s rhetoric, no matter how negative the place where Vance later ends up. As when he said during an interview Sunday that he would have done exactly what Trump wanted on Jan. 6, 2021, and blocked electors from states that voted for Joe Biden — triggering a dangerous challenge to American democracy.

Vox? :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Trump then better make it clear that he will have a diverse cabinet. It's just the way things are today.

Maybe Trump doesn't really want to win in 2024? You can't have a MAGA continuation if you don't win the W.H. This guy could have been a better choice for cabinet.

The best options were Gabbard, Rubio, Scott and/or Vivek even (if he wanted youth).

It seems he is putting all of his eggs in the Rust Belt by a guy who barely even won Ohio. We will see, I suspect that Trump was played behind the scenes. Dem voters are breathing a sigh of relief that's for sure and they have a president and VP who have the worst approval ratings in history.

I suspect that the Dems knew this pick was coming, they keep pushing "Biden/Harris".

For the record, Harris is so disliked that it is probably the primary reason Europeans do not want Biden to win. They suspect he is too old to finish his next term.

Trump should keep this guy in the background and keep center stage for himself, which he usually does anyways.

Forum List

Back