It’s Time to Formally Declare America A Christian Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFBW wrote: What do you mean you’re not using force? Every woman who does not agree with your religious belief that life begins at conception will be forced to carry a pregnancy to full-term by Christian Nation Pregnancy Police.
That's as ridiculous as saying someone who jumps from a window is being forced to fall.

What country are you living in? Because it is not the United States of America or freedom of religion or from religion is guaranteed in our Constitution.

JANUARY 22, 2018

American religious groups vary widely in their views of abortion​

BY DAVID MASCI

More than four decades after Roe v. Wade legalized abortion nationwide, most Americans (57%) are supportive of legal abortion, according to a 2017 Pew Research Center survey. But a substantial minority (40%) says abortion should be illegal in all or most cases, and within some U.S. denominations and religious groups, this figure is much higher.
For instance, most Jehovah’s Witnesses (75%) and Mormons (70%) say abortion should be illegal in all or most cases, according to the 2014 Religious Landscape Study, a survey of more than 35,000 Americans in all 50 states. The same holds true for members of some evangelical churches, including the Pentecostal denominations Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee) (77%) and Assemblies of God (71%), as well as America’s largest evangelical denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention (66%). Indeed, among all those who are part of the evangelical tradition, nearly twice as many say they oppose legal abortion as support it (63% to 33%).
By comparison, only 35% of those who are part of the mainline Protestant tradition say abortion should be illegal in all or most cases, with 60% in support of keeping abortion legal. Members of the Episcopal Church (79%) and the United Church of Christ (72%) are especially likely to support legal abortion, while most members of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the mainline Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (65%) also take this position.

Unitarian Universalists (90%) and American Jews (83%) in the 2014 survey were much more supportive of legal abortion than the general population. And most people who have no religious affiliation – particularly atheists and agnostics (87% each) – also support abortion rights.
Among those who do identify with a religion, the majority view about abortion among members of a particular group often mirrors that group’s official policy on abortion. This is the case with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormon church) and the Southern Baptist Convention – both churches oppose abortion, as do most members of those churches. And the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Unitarian Universalist Association, and Reform and Conservative Judaism, for example, all support abortion rights, in line with most of their adherents.
There are, however, cases where the views of a church’s members don’t align with its teachings on abortion. For instance, while the Roman Catholic Church is an outspoken critic of abortion, U.S. Catholics were divided on the issue in the 2014 survey, with 48% supportive of legal abortion and 47% opposed.
Talking about Christian teaching, mate. All Christian denominations oppose abortion. By definition.

All the legal civil paperwork is done before the ceremony. At that point, the couple is legally married. Whether the ceremony occurs is irrelevant.
Since you missed my reply to this very point, let me repost:
If you go back and look, the context of the question was the morality of sex inside marriage. What kind of wedding? Church or state? It's not a legal question. It's a moral question.
Gotta follow the conversation before interjecting.

Yes, it is. I have a license to perform marriages in 2 states. The couple signs the license first. When I sign it they are officially married.
Officially married in the eyes of the state, but that's not what we were talking about. Sheesh.

Officially married in the eyes of the state, but that's not what we were talking about. Sheesh.
So if the happy couple go for a quicky between the civil marriage and the ceremony, is that still sex before marriage?

AsherN said "but your marriages are not legal in the eyes of the law of the land. A religious wedding is nothing but a ceremony. The actual marriage is done before.".

You said "That's untrue"

It is not untrue. I did not address the topic, but your response to a factual statement.

AsherN said "but your marriages are not legal in the eyes of the law of the land. A religious wedding is nothing but a ceremony. The actual marriage is done before.".

You said "That's untrue"

It is not untrue. I did not address the topic, but your response to a factual statement.
He's referring to the state-approved marriage. I'm not. I appeal to a higher power than the state, and that is God.

He's referring to the state-approved marriage. I'm not. I appeal to a higher power than the state, and that is God.
The religious one as well. I have been to a number of weddings of family member. Before the ceremony, the civil certificate is signed, followed by the religious one. The there's the ceremony.

Talking about Christian teaching, mate. All Christian denominations oppose abortion. By definition.

NFBW wrote: When every Christian of whatever denomination, because of their religion oppose abortion, it is in their own personal lives to oppose it. This means that mist Christians understand the reality that they live in the United States of America where it’s not their religion that writes laws that people that are not of their religion must obey. Your teaching applies to your religion, but it does not apply to my wife and my daughters or anybody else who does not believe what you believe. They live in the United States of America and they are protected by the Constitution from wannabe Christian Police like you.

NFBW wrote: When every Christian of whatever denomination, because of their religion oppose abortion, it is in their own personal lives to oppose it. This means that mist Christians understand the reality that they live in the United States of America where it’s not their religion that writes laws that people that are not of their religion must obey. Your teaching applies to your religion, but it does not apply to my wife and my daughters or anybody else who does not believe what you believe. They live in the United States of America and they are protected by the Constitution from wannabe Christian Police like you.
Sorry, but you don't get to impose your atheist beliefs on my wife and daughters.

The religious one as well. I have been to a number of weddings of family member. Before the ceremony, the civil certificate is signed, followed by the religious one. The there's the ceremony.
That's not the marriage in God's eyes, and that's all that matters.

Once again, AsherN said "but your marriages are not legal in the eyes of the law of the land. A religious wedding is nothing but a ceremony. The actual marriage is done before."

You can talk about a higher power all you want. But AsherN specifically talked about them being not being legal in the eyes of the law of the land. The actual marriage that is legal in the eyes of the law of the land is done before.

And you claimed that was untrue.

Perhaps you should read posts more carefully before you call them "untrue".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back