Question for catholics

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
If a church has many Statues are you required to bow to each one? Is their a hierarchy of Statues?

i see you have trading cards just like baseball cards , whats up with that? do you trade them in church? are some more valuable then others?

Seton Educational Media

If a church has many Statues are you required to bow to each one? Is their a hierarchy of Statues?

When Jews light the seven candles on the Menorah, do they bow to each candle? Is there a hierarchy of candles?

Statuary is nothing more than a focal point for the eyes to keep the mind focused on our prayers to the Almighty. Similarly, in prayers of contemplation, often a word is used (such as Abba) to call the mind back from its wandering to other thoughts.

We are called to worship with everything that is us and is in us: Eyes, ears, mouth--body, mind, and soul/spirit.

i see you have trading cards just like baseball cards , whats up with that? do you trade them in church? are some more valuable then others?

Holy cards are not trading cards. Traditionally they hold the image of a Saint with a short, biographical summary of his/her life on the back. Most of us use them as bookmarks (for bibles, missals, other spiritual books). Don't see many of them in Church--and we certainly don't stand around trading them. ;)

Seton Educational Media
the catholic church has violated the 2nd commandment everyday of their existence..... when i used to ask about that.....boy did i get some bullshit thrown back at me...

UNILAD-timezone48613-640x426.jpg

the catholic church has violated the 2nd commandment everyday of their existence..... when i used to ask about that.....boy did i get some bullshit thrown back at me...

What answers did you get about the images carved on the Ark of the Covenant?

What answers did you get about the images carved on the Ark of the Covenant?
i have never heard of anyone praying to the ark of the covenant....the second commandment states....."You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God".....what do you see when you walk into a catholic church?.....and what do you see people doing below those statues?..

i have never heard of anyone praying to the ark of the covenant....the second commandment states....."You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God".....what do you see when you walk into a catholic church?.....and what do you see people doing below those statues?..

As you say, no one prays to the ark and no one prays to statues. They pray to God. In Biblical times people were carving images (in some places known as 'totems') and they believed that the image carried the power of that image. When cameras were invented, and images of people were captured, some more primitive people thought it was ill luck to have an image of themselves captured on paper because they saw it as drawing from their own personal power to give to the image.

Imagining an image has power is an incorrect assumption. Bible teaches us not worship an object due to a belief that object has some kind of mystical or magical power because that image is not God, and has no power. For that reason, when I was in Catholic school, we were taught to eschew "lucky" rabbit feet, coins, trinkets. A rabbit foot, a coin, or a trinket has no power.

On the other hand, using a lit candle, a book, prayer beads, a statue, a picture to focus one's mind on worship/prayer to God is not worshiping that object, it is using that object as one might use a spoon with which to eat.

As with the ark, images may simply denote that one is in a holy place, a holy Presence. No one worships the holy place, they simply act accordingly when they are on holy land.

As you say, no one prays to the ark and no one prays to statues. They pray to God. In Biblical times people were carving images (in some places known as 'totems') and they believed that the image carried the power of that image. When cameras were invented, and images of people were captured, some more primitive people thought it was ill luck to have an image of themselves captured on paper because they saw it as drawing from their own personal power to give to the image.

Imagining an image has power is an incorrect assumption. Bible teaches us not worship an object due to a belief that object has some kind of mystical or magical power because that image is not God, and has no power. For that reason, when I was in Catholic school, we were taught to eschew "lucky" rabbit feet, coins, trinkets. A rabbit foot, a coin, or a trinket has no power.

On the other hand, using a lit candle, a book, prayer beads, a statue, a picture to focus one's mind on worship/prayer to God is not worshiping that object, it is using that object as one might use a spoon with which to eat.

As with the ark, images may simply denote that one is in a holy place, a holy Presence. No one worships the holy place, they simply act accordingly when they are on holy land.

The prohibition is not just about not worshiping the work of human hands, bowing down before them is also prohibited under penalty of death.

The prohibition is not just about not worshiping the work of human hands, bowing down before them is also prohibited under penalty of death.

When I decide to bow and pray to God in a forest, would you accuse me of bowing down before a tree? What about children kneeling and bowing their heads beside their beds for evening prayer? Do you accuse them of bowing down before work of human hands?

In the same way, when a person bows down to pray to God, the statuary is only statuary that happens to be present in a holy place. It is no more an object of worship than a tree or a bed.

This may be a case for Judge not. Just because one person cannot pray before an object without worshiping that object, be it statuary, tree, or bed--does not mean millions of others are doing so.

When I decide to bow and pray to God in a forest, would you accuse me of bowing down before a tree? What about children kneeling and bowing their heads beside their beds for evening prayer? Do you accuse them of bowing down before work of human hands?

In the same way, when a person bows down to pray to God, the statuary is only statuary that happens to be present in a holy place. It is no more an object of worship than a tree or a bed.

This may be a case for Judge not. Just because one person cannot pray before an object without worshiping that object, be it statuary, tree, or bed--does not mean millions of others are doing so.

Excellent alibis but still in no way set aside the obvious meaning of the written law. Thou shall not bow down before them and thou shall not worship them.

Why would anyone teach children to kneel in front of their bed and pray to God before going to sleep?

Is it to ease them into the sleep of death?

Jesus never taught any such thing.

The Almighty God said:
..."You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.....

What about all the statues of angels, paintings of heaven and everything else? He said don't even make them. I think He has some tolerance at this point or San fransicko would be a salty bog by now.

Imagine if Christians went batshit and blew up things that disrespected images of God and heaven?

The Almighty God said:
..."You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.....

What about all the statues of angels, paintings of heaven and everything else? He said don't even make them. I think He has some tolerance at this point or San fransicko would be a salty bog by now.

Imagine if Christians went batshit and blew up things that disrespected images of God and heaven?

The law is not about not making art or not appreciating art.It is about not making such things for the specific purpose as the object of worship or something to bow down before in prayer to God..

No one in museums is worshiping, bowing down before, or praying to God while appreciating artistic talent.

When Jews light the seven candles on the Menorah, do they bow to each candle? Is there a hierarchy of candles?

Statuary is nothing more than a focal point for the eyes to keep the mind focused on our prayers to the Almighty. Similarly, in prayers of contemplation, often a word is used (such as Abba) to call the mind back from its wandering to other thoughts.

We are called to worship with everything that is us and is in us: Eyes, ears, mouth--body, mind, and soul/spirit.

Holy cards are not trading cards. Traditionally they hold the image of a Saint with a short, biographical summary of his/her life on the back. Most of us use them as bookmarks (for bibles, missals, other spiritual books). Don't see many of them in Church--and we certainly don't stand around trading them. ;)
do they bow to each candle

so candles are a graven image to you catholics ? interesting

graven images

idol_011.png

catholic_idolaters.jpg

Last edited:
... the catholic church has violated the 2nd commandment everyday of their existence..... when i used to ask about that.....boy did i get some bullshit thrown back at me...

Aha - that's why your "argument" stinks.

Last edited:

do they bow to each candle

graven images

idol_011.png

Ah - Aspis - the holy bull of Memphis - an herold of the god Ptah. Very nice. Who made it?

Last edited:

no one prays to statues
bullshit.....when someone is kneeling before a statue of Joseph or Mary what the hell do you think they are doing?...

Are you being deliberately silly or did my point truly swoosh right over your head? Let's try again. People pray before many kinds of objects: Altars, Ark of the Covenant carved with graven images, candles, chairs, beds, art work, statuary--without praying or worshiping that particular object. Praying before statuary is no different than praying in the presence of the Ark or candles or an altar.

Again, the intent of the commandment was clearly not to make graven images so that those graven images might be worshiped as a god. As demonstrated with the Ark of the Covenant, God did not forbid art.

Whether it be a beautiful waterfall or an image of a saint that calls to mind the glory of God that a person is called to prayer, that prayer is to God--not to the waterfall or the artwork. This is an easy concept to grasp.

no one prays to statues
bullshit.....when someone is kneeling before a statue of Joseph or Mary what the hell do you think they are doing?...

I know what they are doing. They are praying to God, and asking a fellow believer to pray to God with them.

Do you people truly believe that Catholics think a statue can answer a prayer. Come on. You're smarter than that. God, not artwork, answers prayers. We all know that.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I've got my plastic Jesus
Sitting on the dashboard of my car
Comes in colors pink and pleasant
Glows in the dark cause it's iridescent
Take it with you ... when you travel far.

Get yourself a sweet Madonna
Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
Pedestal of abalone shell
Going ninety I ain't scary
Cause I've got the Virgin Mary
Assuring me that I won't go to hell.

Forum List

Back