The confederates were assholes but knocking down their statues makes you an asshole too

That's the way I look at it.
The Democrat Rioters have moved on to other statues and monuments.
Lincoln
Washington
Jefferson
Union Soilders
,,,,basically any historical American
In NM they are going after both Spanish and Native American heritage. Targeting conquistadors and the historic Kimo theatre for its Native symbols.

They are not fighting “ racism “.

don't destroy them, but because they are part of american history - take the damn things down & put them in museums.

they don't need to be 'honored' for being the traitors that they were.

don't destroy them, but because they are part of american history - take the damn things down & put them in museums.

They were forgiven for being traitors by the very people that fought them.

Why do you assume your view outweighs the people that bled to fight them?

sure sure. like benedict arnold was ' forgiven '. the only 'forgiving' should be done by the ancesters of people they fought to own.

& the south ain't gonna rise again, so get over it.

there is no honor in fighting for the right to own people.

sure sure. like benedict arnold was ' forgiven '. the only 'forgiving' should be done by the ancesters of people they fought to own.

& the south ain't gonna rise again, so get over it.

there is no honor in fighting for the right to own people.

Actually he wasn't forgiven by his contemporaries.

And you are going back to standard progspeak instead of directly responding to my statement.

The Confederacy had slavery for 4 years.
The USA had slavery for 89 years.
yea. the US was founded on slavery......then they abolished it......and the Confederacy wanted to fight a war to maintain it...
The US (Union States) still had slavery during the Civil War. And when the war was over and all the Confederate slaves were free...The US still had slavery. But this true history doesn't fit hateful Yankee sympathizers agenda.

What you call "yankee sympathizers" I call patriotic Americans. I am a southerner, born & bred. But I am also an American patriot.
How do you feel about Sherman burning Atlanta? It's called Terrorism. And Terrorism won the war for these "patriotic Americans".

No, it is not terrorism. Sherman burning Atlanta was simply an attempt to stop the confederate's ability to resupply. Atlanta was a railroad hub. And Sherman paid dearly taking it. And his continued march to the sea was covering ground that had confederates and confederate sympathizers that would "live off the land". He stopped that.

"The goal of war is to destroy the enemy's ability to fight" Sun Tzu
You don't get to start a war and then whine about the other side fighting too hard to win.

yea. the US was founded on slavery......then they abolished it......and the Confederacy wanted to fight a war to maintain it...
The US (Union States) still had slavery during the Civil War. And when the war was over and all the Confederate slaves were free...The US still had slavery. But this true history doesn't fit hateful Yankee sympathizers agenda.

What you call "yankee sympathizers" I call patriotic Americans. I am a southerner, born & bred. But I am also an American patriot.
How do you feel about Sherman burning Atlanta? It's called Terrorism. And Terrorism won the war for these "patriotic Americans".

No, it is not terrorism. Sherman burning Atlanta was simply an attempt to stop the confederate's ability to resupply. Atlanta was a railroad hub. And Sherman paid dearly taking it. And his continued march to the sea was covering ground that had confederates and confederate sympathizers that would "live off the land". He stopped that.

You don't get to start a war and then whine about the other side fighting too hard to win.

As an addition, if a person knows history, the paths most medieval, renaissance and even Napoleonic armies cut through territories were far more destructive than what Sherman did, and far more uncaring about human life.

They were "forgiven" in order to end the rift in the nation. It was part of the attempts to heal.

View attachment 348955

Its all part of history. The names remind us of the war we fought to preserve the union AND to end slavery, and basically, that war is over now. Picking at old wounds is a curious thing but its what political movements like to use as emotional fuel.
I don't go for it because its BS. It's better to face history than run away from it.

It's also a waste of resources to do all this when a. I imagine simply doing something like this is going to come with a price tag as well. I bet you some politician is getting some money through the backdoor on this one.
It is part of history
But why do we have such a twisted view of who we honor in history?
10 first named after Confederate Generals, one after Union Generals

Why Gen Lee and not General Grant?
Why Gen Bragg and Hood but not Gen Sherman and Sheridan?

Why? The Lost Cause movement
That would be because the South had better and much more honorable generals.
Bragg, Hood, Benning, Polk are better and more honorable than Grant, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Marshall and Patton?

Terrorism | Definition of Terrorism by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Terrorism
Terrorism: The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
Got Sherman and Lincoln written all over it.

They were "forgiven" in order to end the rift in the nation. It was part of the attempts to heal.

Exactly. And part of the attempt was to let the South remember what happened as they wanted to. No forced schooling on the "North" view of the war, no trials for treason.

Who are we to decide later that the peace negotiated then is unacceptable?

As an addition, if a person knows history, the paths most medieval, renaissance and even Napoleonic armies cut through territories were far more destructive than what Sherman did, and far more uncaring about human life.
Truman ordered the dropping of a couple nukes which killed what 100,000 civilians? It won the war for us, just like Terrorism won the Civil War for the Union. If you cant beat the Army, go after the civilains. Now days these are called war crimes.

Truman ordered the dropping of a couple nukes which killed what 100,000 civilians? It won the war for us, just like Terrorism won the Civil War for the Union. If you cant beat the Army, go after the civilains. Now days these are called war crimes.

It wasn't terrorism, it was how armies campaigned sometimes back then. It was just more "horrible" because it usually only happened in Europe, the US had never seen "total war". The Revolution and the War of 1812 didn't count.

And Sherman's main target were materials, not the people, unless the people tried to stop him.

View attachment 348955

Its all part of history. The names remind us of the war we fought to preserve the union AND to end slavery, and basically, that war is over now. Picking at old wounds is a curious thing but its what political movements like to use as emotional fuel.
I don't go for it because its BS. It's better to face history than run away from it.

It's also a waste of resources to do all this when a. I imagine simply doing something like this is going to come with a price tag as well. I bet you some politician is getting some money through the backdoor on this one.
It is part of history

Bragg, Hood, Benning, Polk are better and more honorable than Grant, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Marshall and Patton?

Terrorism | Definition of Terrorism by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Terrorism
Terrorism: The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Wrong. What Sherman did was destroy the infrastructure that the confederates used to move supplies. And then he pursued their MILITARY to facilitate their surrender. He only harmed civilian assets because they were being used to resupply the confederate soldiers.

It is the way of war. If you can't finish a war, don't start it.

He didn't "go after" the civilians unless they fired on him.

View attachment 348955

It is part of history

More like the first iteration of the KKK and those who fought the Republican Reconstruction. They eventually took control of the former Rebel States and pushed for a glorifying rewrite of the History of the Confederacy and their rebellion.

View attachment 348955

It is part of history

KKK was a terrorist organization
It was also supported and tolerated by local governments

Forum List

Back