Open Minded Agnostic Atheist

I think it's hilarious that the born agains say the catholics got it all wrong but the catholics say the born agains got it all wrong.

I say they are both wrong. So technically I agree with both of them.
More accurately it is Born Again believe and practice something different from what Catholics believe and practice. Technically, you fit right in. You have your beliefs and you practice those.

I am wondering if it isn't you and the Born Again who are closest to each other. For example, you do not need anything. The Born Again simply need an instant to declare a belief and they, too, are set.

In order to have made something of my life, I needed a hand, the Sacraments, the Beatitudes, and even many of the parables, and I needed to learn and practice incorporating these concepts into my life. I am amazed that some people can get through this life all on their own, or have things fixed in an instant. Still, I cannot complain. I may have been fated to take the hard way, but I do think it has been worth it.

Yes, it is. Drugs, being substantive rather than ideological, call for entirely different regulation or lack thereof. This topic is about freedom of/from religion. In this country, our Constitution guarantees our freedom to choose between religious beliefs -or- to be entirely free of any such indoctrination. Free of religious inculcation. No government -body, -institution, nor -individual representative allowed to force religious doctrine upon anyone here. No "In God We Trust." No "Under God." No Jesus Camp in our public/state schools. Whether in public or in private, free of any such creepy, government "tendrils" (influence, suggestion, interference, sanction, prodding).
Again, we are talking past each other. I am speaking of freedom while you are focused on regulation. You are saying religion, like drugs, needs to be regulated. The Founding Fathers were against regulating religion. There will be no law regarding religion. State was to have a hands off approach, and remain separated from what religion. You are in favor of regulating religion, and you want the Federal government to do this regulating. Correct?
Religion is already regulated. As it stands they don’t have to pay taxes. That could change but right now that’s their regulation.

And any religion can have their tax exempt status revoked.

And I can make up a new religion no matter how silly and I can get that tax exempt status. Or I could be denied because this is regulated.

I think it's hilarious that the born agains say the catholics got it all wrong but the catholics say the born agains got it all wrong.

More accurately it is Born Again believe and practice something different from what Catholics believe and practice. Technically, you fit right in. You have your beliefs and you practice those.

I am wondering if it isn't you and the Born Again who are closest to each other. For example, you do not need anything. The Born Again simply need an instant to declare a belief and they, too, are set.

In order to have made something of my life, I needed a hand, the Sacraments, the Beatitudes, and even many of the parables, and I needed to learn and practice incorporating these concepts into my life. I am amazed that some people can get through this life all on their own, or have things fixed in an instant. Still, I cannot complain. I may have been fated to take the hard way, but I do think it has been worth it.
Sorry but born agains muslims and Mormons are theists so closer to you. Please don’t try to pass them off onto our side. Lol

Sorry but born agains muslims and Mormons are theists so closer to you. Please don’t try to pass them off onto our side. Lol
Her point is valid. It's your behaviors that give you away. You are a born again atheist. :lol:

Her point is valid. It's your behaviors that give you away. You are a born again atheist. :lol:
That’s not the point she made stupid. In fact she was calling theists like you out. Ones who don’t think they have to be good people. All that matters is they believe in Jesus. That’s you.

she was saying like them, I don’t need to do anything. It doesn’t matter if I’m a good person because there’s no heaven or hell. And guys like you don’t need to be good either.

But she is required to at least try to be a good person. And you can tell she is. Better than you.

what denomination are you?

That’s not the point she made stupid. In fact she was calling theists like you out. Ones who don’t think they have to be good people. All that matters is they believe in Jesus. That’s you.

she was saying like them, I don’t need to do anything. It doesn’t matter if I’m a good person because there’s no heaven or hell. And guys like you don’t need to be good either.

But she is required to at least try to be a good person. And you can tell she is. Better than you.

There are so many errors in your statement I don't even know where to begin.

I do have a notion I am supposed to be good. You are the one who doesn't have that notion. That's why you attack religion. You don't know any better.

What she is saying is that your belief is too simple, like theirs, only different.

Do we NEED to be good? No. It's a choice. You can't get past heaven and hell when what she is talking about is the journey, the progression. Your beliefs are so simple minded that all you see is heaven and hell. You are the only one focusing on heaven and hell. We are focusing on the journey.

Again, no one has placed a requirement upon you. No one is policing you. It's up to you to decide what you will do; what you will become. This is so far over your head that you can't comprehend what I am telling you.

Last edited:
:) Beliefs and practices among people who profess to be of the exact same denomination are still as diverse as window coverings, even when those windows are the exact same dimensions. And, no, I am not talking about cherry picking, I am noting that people fasten onto different aspects and aspirations. We are each very unique. We may all have the same kinds of bones, but our outward appearances are quite different.

I do have a notion I am supposed to be good. You are the one who doesn't have that notion. That's why you attack religion. You don't know any better.

What she is saying is that your belief is too simple, like theirs, only different.

Do we NEED to be good? No. It's a choice. You can't get past heaven and hell when what she is talking about is the journey, the progression. Your beliefs are so simple minded that all you see is heaven and hell. You are the only one focusing on heaven and hell. We are focusing on the journey.

Again, no one has placed a requirement upon you. No one is policing you. It's up to you to decide what you will do; what you will become. This is so far over your head that you can't comprehend what I am telling you.
I’m just as good on my journey as you are. She’s better than us.

We both have a notion to be good. You just aren’t and think you get a pass. I’m good and don’t expect a reward for it. You’re not even good and you expect to be rewarded.

Shes a real Christian not you.

We both have a notion to be good. You just aren’t and think you get a pass. I’m good and don’t expect a reward for it. You’re not even good and you expect to be rewarded.

Again, you are making statements that just aren't true. Why do you think I think I get a pass?

Anyone who thinks they are good, probably isn't.

I couldn't be happier for you see me a fake Christian.

I can almost take my thumbs and middle fingers and wrap them around the small of my girlfriends waste. I hate fat old and ugly women.
Is this your idea of what good looks like?

Serious government "tendrils" being extended to nonreligious organizations while religious counterparts cry like colicky babies and get away with relative murder.
Nonbelief Relief is asking the court to reinstate its tax-exempt status, and to enjoin the IRS from continuing to preferentially exempt churches and other affiliated religious organizations from annual information filings required of other 501(c)(3) nonprofits.

From 2015 through August 2018, Nonbelief Relief has given out nearly $600,000 in charitable grants — work which will now be injured and imperiled by the government’s actions.
Update:
On January 10, 2020, this case was thrown out of court after Judge Timothy J. Kelly dismissed the challenge filed by FFRF. However, the opinion noted that the “decision does not mean that the church exemption is immune from judicial review. NonBelief Relief could claim a refund for the taxes it paid, and sue when the refund was denied, arguing that its 501(c)(3) status was unconstitutionally revoked.” Nonbelief Relief will seek a refund on its taxes and FFRF will refile the suit if this refund is refused.
But the religious are so put upon. Such victims of government overreach and oppression.

Last edited:
That’s not the point
Thank you, but I am blushing and I do think Ding is a good person. I believe we are here to create and become the best possible version of oneself.

As far as religion works in helping us to become the best version of ourselves: My analogy is that it is like a big, crystal clear lake. People are free to take as much (or as little) of it as one needs. I simply happen to need a lot of it, which is why yesterday I mentioned if Catholicism vanished, I would choose Judaism, simply because there is more of it, more to it.

Keep in mind, I do not see myself as good, but as needy. Many Protestants denominations do get this, insisting we are all in need of a Savior. I don't see the need of a Savior so much as a need of a map to get me through day-to-day events of this present life. In that regard Jesus has definitely been--and more importantly, is being--a Savior to me

But the religious are so put upon.
Not what I am saying. I had my politics bonnet on, and politically I have quite a few Libertarian leanings. My motto in regards to government is Less is Best. Also, I think the Federal government should be focused only on what is best for the country: Protection, Trade, Transportation. States can be the hub for what towns and counties need from a Federal government. Towns can handle local matters (especially schools), and people can help people. Religion is on its own.

Anyway, sorry to have gotten you into this. I'll never be a fan of big government no matter how much anyone favors it, and that is nothing I care to be reasonable about--and I won't be.

I've been into this since birth and it's certainly had nothing to do with you. No apologies sought nor called for.

That’s not the point
Thank you, but I am blushing and I do think Ding is a good person. I believe we are here to create and become the best possible version of oneself.

As far as religion works in helping us to become the best version of ourselves: My analogy is that it is like a big, crystal clear lake. People are free to take as much (or as little) of it as one needs. I simply happen to need a lot of it, which is why yesterday I mentioned if Catholicism vanished, I would choose Judaism, simply because there is more of it, more to it.

Keep in mind, I do not see myself as good, but as needy. Many Protestants denominations do get this, insisting we are all in need of a Savior. I don't see the need of a Savior so much as a need of a map to get me through day-to-day events of this present life. In that regard Jesus has definitely been--and more importantly, is being--a Savior to me
That part of Christianity, that humanity is in need of a “savior”, is disturbing. There’s a certain arrogance in the Christian environment claiming we are all inherently corrupt and evil, therefore in need of “saving”.

It’s a form of mind control to gain and keep the members. Christianity uses heaven and hell, the concept of sin, a corrupted nature no one can escape, the requirement of a savior as a means to coerce behavior supportive of the religion. The religion cloaks itself under dynamics which affects behavior (teaching the doctrine of the religion is inerrant even in the face of overwhelming proof contrary to the religious doctrine), and psychological (gods with a vested interest in the behaviors of men, who can see their sins, who are able to mete out justice -- all of these are severe and inescapable mental leveragings that dictate human behavior-- i.e., psychologies

Christianity is the worst offender at threats and coercion but various “holy texts” suffer from the same inherent weakness, which is why you can only believe in it based on faith (and that invokes just as many problems anyway).

There’s no reason to believe there’s anything “god given” in any of the “holy” texts. There are no original manuscripts, nothing to indicate that there were really “revelation” and no corroboration ever found. So, the stories and interpretations by man being just that, then consistency demands one extrapolate that same likelihood to, for example, Jesus as a savior, the need for a savior at all, the concept that god decreed a morality, the idea that god created an existence, and the belief that god exists at all. Why stop at this parable or that miracle? Other than for convenience, what arbitrates this decision making process?

Not what I am saying. I had my politics bonnet on, and politically I have quite a few Libertarian leanings. My motto in regards to government is Less is Best. Also, I think the Federal government should be focused only on what is best for the country: Protection, Trade, Transportation. States can be the hub for what towns and counties need from a Federal government. Towns can handle local matters (especially schools), and people can help people. Religion is on its own.

Anyway, sorry to have gotten you into this. I'll never be a fan of big government no matter how much anyone favors it, and that is nothing I care to be reasonable about--and I won't be.
can't get enough big religion though, funny that.

clue, secularism is universal one size fits all.

order to have made something of my life, I needed a hand, the Sacraments, the Beatitudes, and even many of the parables
And had the genetic accident of your birth resulted in you being born at a different place and time, it would have been Hinduism. Or Zoroaster. Or Voodoo. Or JuJu the Cave God.

can't get enough big religion though, funny that.

clue, secularism is universal one size fits all.
Secular humanism is evil in sheep’s clothing.

Forum List

Back